[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would you consider SNES Doom to be a good or bad port? On one

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1

File: SNES_Doom_Box_Art.jpg (35KB, 514x358px) Image search: [Google]
SNES_Doom_Box_Art.jpg
35KB, 514x358px
Would you consider SNES Doom to be a good or bad port? On one hand it's a heavily cut down version with downgraded graphics and unresponsive controls but on the other hand the fact that it's on the SNES in a playable state at all is an extremely impressive feat, even considering it has the Super FX 2 chip backing it up.
>>
>>3402805
Can you play it with the SNES mouse? I've seen some footage and the soundtrack is the only thing I liked about it, but maybe I can change my mind if try playing it.
>>
>>3402805
Yes.
>>
It's not as playable but I think it's a better port than the playstation version. I found the playstation version to be bland and empty where the larger graphics (that are still in the SNES version) were missing. Compare E1M1 on both versions and the SNES wins in my opinion.
>>
>>3402805
As impressive as it is, it's still a half-decent port. The visuals are pixel soup, circle strafing was removed for no good reason, and less animations. Still, it's one of the better ports for the inclusion of the most levels.

>>3402818
You can, but I hear the button mapping ruins it. Changing weapons is really difficult, there's no strafe button, and so on. Essentially the mouse + controller combo doesn't work out.
>>
I think it's crazy the fucker had shit even the PS1 version couldn't handle.
It's the closest to the PC on console since it has most textures and secrets. I think it's also the only that lets you play the secret levels completely. Any Jaguar based port was instantly gimped and you end up with levels that look completely different in style or missing entire chunks all together
Compare Halls of the Damned on SNES to Halls of the Damned on PS1
>>
>>3402805
the music is incredible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-o1_i6KKvs
>>
>>3403436
This is true - I think it's super interesting because this was in a time where console music better than the PC music because most PC sound chips weren't as powerful as home consoles.
>>
>>3403556
While I appreciate Super Doom having the real soundtrack, and it being surprisingly good. It does not sound better than the PC version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9_k7fogR5A

The reverb in the SNES version is kind of cool though, I do think it adds something.

In any event, when I was a kid, my parents knew about Doom and wouldn't let me buy it, so I had to rent the SNES version in order to play it. It was, at the very least, playable.
>>
SNES Doom was awesome when you didn't have a PC that could run DOS Doom. The music is still good but there's no going back to those graphics now.
>>
>>3403436
Based Sony soundchip
>>
>>3403436
that sounds like shit actually
>>
Considering it's using a SFX 2 chip, it's rather disappointing.
>>
>>3404236
What's sfx and sfx2 chip?
>>
If you're not playing on a PC source port then I think SNES doom is the best all rounder. It's only missing 3 levels, so "3d" enemies and limited textures aside it's closer to the full game than the other.

Music is fucking badass start to finish.
>>
>>3403656
The person you replied to should have rethought her/his comment.

It wasn't that Snes was better. It was that people DIDN'T have the hardware in their pc for proper sound.

On point, when I first played Doom the computer I had couldn't play music at all. But when we upgraded for Doom II and Elder Scrolls 2, the new pc had a dedicated sound system.

The kid down the road, years later in 98, had to use an AGP like add on card for sound to play Starcraft. It sounded 1/10th the quality and most sounds didn't work. That was years after even Doom, because pcs were just so fucking retarded then.
>>
>>3404236
You are a moron
>>3404239
She doesn't know because she is a moron.
>>
>>3404303
Should have added.

Somehow the 3DO version had the best sound. I am pretty sure. I think Jaguar didn't even have music, but I am positive it was the 3DO version that had crispy as fuck sound, possibly because it was released far later. Even better than the Playstation version or what we initially got on pc.
>>
>>3404306
>She

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>3404318
>>
>>3404340
What's wrong with being sexy?
>>
>>3403556
Do not confuse 80s with 90s.

>>3404303
> It was that people DIDN'T have the hardware in their pc for proper sound.

SNES DOOM came out in 1995. There were many MIDI synth cards available for PC at the time, from basic FM synthesis ones to professional studio-grade equipment with multi-megabyte sound fonts, reverb'n'shit.

Your problems were not universal.

>>3404315
Manager for 3DO DOOM project hired his friend's thrash band to cover some songs, audio of that recording was played as is from the CD (not in the CDDA format). That's the solution to the secret.

Basically, it was what people making covers on Youtube do, just much less common 20 years ago.
>>
>>3404390
You don't know what you are talking about, you can stop while you are behind. You are definitely under 18.

MOST PC's DIDN'T HAVE THAT TECH AVAILABLE. Your ignorance of 90's pc gaming is laughable. There wasn't anything under $1,800 that could run Doom at Snes sound quality in 93-95, because that is how it was. Until Windows 95 and even then, the SBfx cards didn't fit in premade computers by most manufacturers.

HP was the first manufacturer, in 95 at $1900, with a 133MHz pentium and a 16bit 3d sound packed in. The only few manufacturers with expansion ports for audio/modems pre 95, could not run anything close to Snes sound. Built in sound was not compatible for Dooms sound output, only direct channel audio.

Doom was the Crysis of 93. It took consumers, and even enthusiasts, years to have the hardware for proper sound and graphics.
>>
>>3404390
You just made that entire thing up about the 3do. Probably wrong about the other stuff too.
>>
>>3404435
>Premade
Well that explains a lot.

Soundblaster, Thunderboard, Pro Audio Spectrum, Ultrasound, etc, it was all on the market in 93. New and expensive, yes, but available and sold like cakes.
>>
>>3403436
Eh
Master of Puppets translated into horrible compression in a pretty interesting and unique sounding way but the rest of the sound track sounds like farts.
>>
>>3404340
>Claire has 3 marbles, Jhasmraphantadhillonita has 6, Kwambongotsokembe has 8. How many marbles are there in total?

C'mon we all had questions like this as kids.
>>
>>3404435
I had a Soundblaster AWE32 in 1995 (which sounds more like the SNES than the Sound Canvas posted earlier). It apparently cost a few hundred bucks at the time. So no?
>>
>>3404360
underrated post
>>
>>3404435
> PC is something you can only buy as a whole
True, because IBM compatibles are known for their inability to be extended in various ways.

I think you should try to make things with your own hands. Start form something simple, like soldering a COVOX board, then plug it into your ass, because the speech thing® is better than the one you have there.

Doom ran just fine on faster models of 486 CPUs that were available for a couple of years. More complex official (Doom II) and fan-made levels required additional memory. id obviously couldn't target Pentium the same way top titles are tied to next generation video card introductions today.

In the 80s, IBM PC were “business” computers, completely unable to produce sound apart from the beeper (or enthusiast-made hardware), and having only supplementary graphic modes support not suitable for performance-oriented programming, while other microcomputers had sound chips capable of multichannel sound generation and video chips accelerating sprite drawing, pans and blitter (and later Amiga came and put everything except top multimedia workstations to shame). Only in the last years of the decade companies agreed that PC could also be good for games and multimedia and started to produce relevant hardware. In the 90s, there were many sound cards (supporting sampled audio, multichannel synthesis, or both) and VGA video cards, and also games utilizing them. The fact that very little computers sold today can run current reincarnation of Crysis does not mean PCs in general have problems with it.

>>3404456
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/3DO
https://github.com/Olde-Skuul/doom3do

You should tell the first person you meet that you are a faggot who likes to give free blowjobs. After swallowing and enjoying the taste, try using buggy 3DO resource extracting tools to convert music from the game.
>>
>the 32x music is slowing creeping into my head

NO.
>>
i played dos doom a few days ago and felt motion sick after a few minutes

then i felt old
>>
>>3403436
c'mon, that is awful
>>
>>3403718
This.I had SNES Doom before I ever had a pc and loved the hell out of it.
>>
>>3405278
If you a crazy person who doesn't like the Doom level 1 theme at all, sure. It sounds pretty much exactly like a lower sample rate version of the PC midi soundtrack, with extra reverb.
>>
>>3404435
Lol the butthurt is strong in this one. Also there was plenty of shit available for PCs at the time. Problem was money.
>>
>>3404763
aiff files are effectively the same as wav files. You can just grab the music and listen in just about anything.
>>
>>3402805
It's in the same boat as SNES MK2. That was a closer port to the arcade than the Genesis version, but the Genesis version made the most of the limited color palette and sound capabilities of the system, to create a unique, superior take.
SNES Doom is a closer port content wise to the original, but the PSX release runs, looks, and controls better, as well as having the ambient soundtrack and lighting that puts a fresh spin on the experience.

Those SNES ports were decent alternatives to the originals at the time, but considering how easy it is to access the original versions today, the interesting ports have left a more worthwhile legacy.
>>
>>3405927
AIFF, jut like RIFF (WAV) is a container format.

AIFF, jut like RIFF (WAV), can hold pretty obscure proprietary data formats, which was common in the era of interest.

Decoder for SDX2 compressed audio has been added to ffmpeg only recently. It is also supported by some dedicated multi-format players of video game music resources. So, no, you actually can't listen to it in just about anything, it's pretty much the opposite.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.