[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Spyro vs Banjo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: sparx.png (380KB, 1280x816px) Image search: [Google]
sparx.png
380KB, 1280x816px
How do the two compare? I haven't played any Rare N64 platformers yet but I'm curious about Yooka Laylee (which isn't /vr/ so I won't discuss it). My only experience with retro 3D platformers has been Crash (which isn't even full roaming), Spyro, and Mario 64. Spyro 3 was my favorite game as a little kid but I always hear people bragging about Rare more.

How does Spyro compare to Banjo? Which do you prefer?
>>
Spyro's moveset is far more limited than Banjo, and the level design in simpler, IMO
>>
>>3402498
It is. I'm not really a big fan of B&K though, not into collectahons. The only one I played and enjoyed was SM64, if you want to consider it that. Most others are tedious, and 3D platforming is mostly garbage
>>
I'm on the minority of people who actually liked DK64 more than Banjo.
I never liked Banjo too much, although I admit the game is massive and has a very large variety and depth in its controls, but I could never bother to complete it.
I made it to the ice and haunted mansion levels, I guess I'm pretty far in the game, but I lost interest, whereas DK64 I played and completed to 101%.

As a kid I fucking loved Super Mario 64 and Jumping Flash on the PS1. Thought Crash Bandicoot was just OK. Banjo I plain didn't like it, I think I became frustrated with the controls and overall wasn't having fun, so I remember trading it for Pod Racing 64 and it was a good decision.

Oh, and I never played Spyro.
>>
>>3402498

Even Spyro 3?
>>
>>3402498
>Spyro's moveset is far more limited than Banjo
Better more "simpler" while also somewhat doing its own thing than being a mostly shallow copy of another game's moveset.

>and the level design in simpler
I felt the level design in Spyro is a bit more vast and open-ended while also being visually more interesting than most of B-K's own levels, which were too "restrained" and bland for my liking.

In all honesty, I don't think I even liked the N64's 3D platforming offerings much. That said, I can still recognize SM64's influence on the industry, even if I probably would prefer going back to playing things like Crash or even Sanic Adventure in retrospect.
>>
>>3403835
>I felt the level design in Spyro is a bit more vast and open-ended

What the fuck am I reading? 99% of Spyro levels are literally just a linear circuit.
>>
Spyro has better voices and characters.
>>
>>3402521
B&K is only a little tedious because of the shitty note score system. BT doesn't have that, and the XBLA version of B&K doesn't either.

Seriously replacing the note score system with actually collecting the notes proper was the best thing 4J Studios has done.
>>
>>3402353
Play Conker's bad fur day. It makes up for Rare's limitations with comedy.
>>
>>3404513
wat

Not at all, anon. Conker has terrible controls and camera. It's all tolerable up until you get past the caveman stage, then it drops off tremendously in terms of comedy and doubling all the issues it had before
>>
spyro is for furfags
>>
Spyro was simpler and more fun, at least in my opinion.

Banjo was always too much about the collectibles. At least Spyro had a game to go with the collectibles spree, Banjo is just sandbox after sandbox of "Get X number of Y before you're allowed to do the same fucking thing again and again and again".

At least it has a good thing about it.
It's not as shit as the donkey kong games for N64.
At least Banjo doesn't recycle the same level four times under the pretense of multiple characters.
>>
>>3406489
>At least it has a good thing about it.
>It's not as shit as the donkey kong games for N64.

Man, so much this. I've never believed so much about the phenomenon of nostalgia glasses until I saw people seriously defending those shitty games. There's nothing good about them outside of "I liked them as a kid so they must be good"
>>
>>3406491

>>3402568 here

I have no nostalgia over DK64 and I still enjoyed it.

I bought that game in 2002, when I was already playing 6th gen systems. Didn't care too much about it then.
Went back and played it around 2007. As I said I completed it to 101%.
I understand the criticism about collectan and using different kongs to access different parts of each level, but what can I say? I enjoyed it more than Banjo for some reason.
>>
>>3406427
so is banjo and conker :)

>>3404014
>99% of Spyro levels are literally just a linear circuit.
As opposed to the even more linear rectangles and circles that makes up 99% of Banjo's areas.
>>
Easily Spyro. Just better games in every way (the ps1 games ofc)
>>
>>3407159
You are taking completely out of your ass about Banjo. Virtually every single Spyro 2 and 3 level consists of a single path from world start to world end. Spyro 1 levels were slightly less linear but they still have a clear path from beginning to end.

Banjo levels are completely, and by every single possible definition, open-ended. There is absolutely no path.
>>
>>3407479
I actually like Spyro more because it's more linear.

There's a little bit of platforming, whereas with Banjo it's just walking around and using gimmicky abilities like the vast majority of 3D "platformers"
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.