[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone ever build a PiBoy or similar handheld emulator?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 14

File: P1010998_preview_featured.jpg (163KB, 628x472px) Image search: [Google]
P1010998_preview_featured.jpg
163KB, 628x472px
Anyone ever build a PiBoy or similar handheld emulator?
>>
I usually like RPi builds but that thing is ugly as shit. Looks like one of those "photoshop a terrible controller" threads we have now and then.
>>
>>3401485
no but I'm thinking about it as a future project.
>>
I've clamped a tablet into a controller. Took 15 seconds.
>>
looks uncomfortable as shit and doesn't have shoulder buttons
>>
>>3401485
I want to build a bartop cabinet with a pi. The problem with that and these handhelds it's like...when someone comes over I show them and they're like "That's cool I guess." and then I never play it.
>>
>>3401663
it's as comfortable as holding an original GameBoy. Shoulder buttons are on the back
>>
File: logan 4.gif (668KB, 274x192px) Image search: [Google]
logan 4.gif
668KB, 274x192px
>>3401686
>it's as comfortable as holding an original GameBoy

Not with that d-pad placement it isn't
>>
What is it? It looks like it's made out of fondant
>>
>>3401959
3d printed I think.

These 3d cases people are using to house their raspberry pis looks awful for the most part
>>
It might be a fun project, but as far as getting a handheld you would actually want to play, you're probably much better off buying that chink handheld that looks like a 3DS with one screen.
>>
>>3401485

What did ride him to place the dpad in THAT position? That looks uncomfortable as shit.
>>
>>3401994
the d-pad mechanics occupy space underneath, and at the "normal" position there's hardware inside the shell getting in the way
>>
>that d-pad
>those buttons

It's like the gameboy from hell.
>>
>>3402403
what's wrong with the buttons?
>>
>>3402404
They're garish as fuck and stick out way too far.
>>
>>3402418
color choice is subjective. As for them sticking out, I think they're small, and there's no telling how much travel they have
>>
ITT: Gamers who know how to game btfo some inside out built piece of shit that isn't even good on the inside.

If you want to build a RPi or other handheld why not start with a controller shell that has excess empty space inside like a Dreamcast controller?
>>
>>3402420
They look like fisher-price buttons, lol. The whole thing looks like a weird fisher-price knock off gameboy.

Buttons just don't seem practical. If they depress all the way it's not good for fast games and looks way too easy to hit the others accidentally. If they don't go all the way in, why are they out so far? Meh, hopefully the guy who made it likes it at least.
>>
>>3402446
>If they don't go all the way in, why are they out so far?
the mechanical assembly might have a certain length, and only can be moved so far inside the case

>hopefully the guy who made it likes it at least
I'm quite certain they do. Not because it's fantastic to play, but because they made something. I'm also quite certain this won't be their last iteration. The people that do these things do them because they love the tinkering.
>>
>>3402449
I'd be depressed if I made something and it came out looking like that but to each their own.
>>
>>3402428
I've seen a RPi Zero build inside of an original Xbox controller (the huge ones). He had a battery and space for composite wires in it but didn't get a screen.
>>
File: jpg[1].jpg (37KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
jpg[1].jpg
37KB, 600x399px
>>3402931
Should have just made it flip up then it could have been a shitty Shield.
>>
>>3402943
Still mad i never scooped one of these up. Does any place sell it for a reasonable price?
>>
Huh, never thought about this being a thing. I really want to make something similar to this now, just with a better appearance. Maybe like a mini console
>>
File: 7oGekDo.jpg (752KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
7oGekDo.jpg
752KB, 3264x2448px
What gets me is that people build these things for about 80-90 bucks in parts and spend hours upon hours soldering and unfucking their solder jobs, but you can just get a GPD XD for like 150 bucks.

:^)
>>
>>3404192
>android
I don't get why people will pay $150 for the XD when you can fill a bag full of rocks for free
>>
Is snes any good with an rpi3?

Does znes work?
Does snes9x work?
Does higan work?
Are there any noticeable glitches or slowdown? I'm assuming higan will break it.

I haven't been able to find a solid video of people running through the emulators and showing their compatability, snes is what I'm worried about because it's the most recent I'll go and it's the one known to have the most issues on things that like this.
>>
>>3401673
That's probably because bartops are generally associated with shitty touch screen games like "beat the pirate at beer pong", "draw lines on the screen to reveal the 'hunk' or 'babe'", and "classic rock trivia".

Put it in a standup arcade cabinet, or in an old broken console to trigger good nostalgic feels
>>
File: il_570xN.704863445_jujn.jpg (26KB, 570x428px) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.704863445_jujn.jpg
26KB, 570x428px
>>3401962
Agreed. Have you seen those nes cases? Absolutely disgusting.
>>
>>3401485
What's the point of the joystick? It makes the front busier than it needs to be, and I assume most people attempting to put a pi in something that small will probably opt for a pi zero, which I've heard is only good for emulating 16 bit and lower systems.

That thing would actually be pretty cool without the joystick taking up prime real estate where the d-pad should be.
>>
>>3404192
I just want a Linux handheld like the GP2X... The Pandora and GCW Zero are both out of production, the only options I can find right now are the PocketChip (which has terrible controls) and the Pyra (which is really expensive and not yet available).
>>
>>3406241
This, or shitty video poker or the occasional video slots that don't actually pay out when you win.

>>3401673
If your motivation is to build a bar top to conserve space you could ways do something like pic related. It would be more involved and ambitous. You could use a French cleat system for the control panels, with a recessed shelf underneath where you can store them when not in use(google Genie 1930 and you may be able to see their controls use a similar system). Then it could be used as a mildly uncomfortable table. I would use an actual computer over a pi though. I would also set it up so you could watch movies or YouTube when you're just using it as a table. I was thinking about doing something like that in my workshop.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (41KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
41KB, 480x360px
>>3406317
>pic related
>forgot pic
>>
>>3406317
I don't have much experience messing with the front end of mame, and the last time I played a homemade mame was like 7 or 8 years ago so the tech has probably progressed a lot since then, but one cool thing about retropie is that you can install Kodi on it. Regular mame front ends may have that now too, I'm not sure, but having Kodi on the pi definitely makes it more useful.
>>
>>3406248
the "joystick" is the screen
>>
>>3406356
I'm guessing he's talking about the button above the dpad, which might be an analog nub
>>
>>3406379
Yeah that's what I meant, looks like a 3ds/psp style sliding control stick/nub/whatever
>>
>>3406379
>>3406383
you guys and your modern technology. I thought it's just a random black button.
Yeah, that's kind of overkill for this form factor
>>
>>3406243
If they could buff out the ridges and fix the door it would look a lot more presentable
>>
>>3406407
That's literally the pic in their advertisement. If that's the most presentable one they've got, I'd hate to see what the one you got in the mail looked like
>>
>>3406407
Maybe they don't want to take the extra effort to sand out the ridges.
>>
>>3406612
more likely, considering the target demographic is diy, they're better off selling it unsanded, so people can sand them exactly how they want them
>>
>>3406176
Zsnes absolutely will not work. All the others you can get on all the RPis. I would assume they work fine since even the 2 can run some N64 and PSX games.
>>
>>3406616
that's possible too, I hadn't considered that. It was more my assumption that people who would buy these kids of things were more into it for the 'cool factor' than anything else.
>>
File: 447603-game-boy-1[1].jpg (129KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
447603-game-boy-1[1].jpg
129KB, 640x360px
I rather built something like this inside an existing handheld than make an handheld as awful looking as the one in the op.
>>
>>3406632
You will die a virgin.
>>
>>3406641
if you said that 3 years ago it would hold more plausibly lad.
>>
>>3406654
pls
>>
>>3401485
RPi can't handle 4k resolution so it'd be shit at non-integer scales.
>>
>>3401485
Planning on putting a raspberry pi zero into an old gameboy some time in the future.
But the screens people use are sold out all the time from what I hear.
>>
>>3406632
This I like. I bet cable management inside that thing is a nightmare unless you make all the wires and stuff yourself though
>>
>>3407109
Please take pics and post progress if you get started on it, I'd love to see it done. I've put a pi 3 in an nes, but I'm not confident enough in my electronics, soldering and dremmeling skills to work on that small of a scale. Not to mention whatever goes into getting the controls to work
>>
File: haihaisb.jpg (113KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
haihaisb.jpg
113KB, 1080x1080px
>>
>>3407147
This is the guide I plan to follow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzYMWNiUN_M

I already watched the whole thing just for entertainment. And I learned a bit from it as well. Highly recommended
>>
>>3406176
Whatever retropie defaults to (snes9x I think) works great. Haven't even messed with any of the other snes emulators because it's been pretty much flawless.
>>
>>3407157
Cray
>>
>>3406176
I think catsfc was the one I use.
The default (snes9x) has sound stuttering issues, and pisnes has no way to configure controls.
>>
>>3407157
this thing would be god tier with a 6 button layout.
>>
>>3407234
It doesn't have a raspberry pi in it, it's a GBA SP-101 inside of a DMG shell with a neogeo stick.
>>
>>3407237
dang, i wish someone would make a decent portable for shmups and stuff.
>>
>>3407240
It's great for the few shmups in the GBA/GBC/GB library
>>
>>3401485
I've always had in mind the idea of building a raspberry pi inside a dsi/3dsXL case. Obviously you wouldn't be able to use the screens or cameras but you could recycle the double analogs and with that you can emulate anything. You could put a keyboard instead of the bottom screen or maybe an actual second screen. It's such a dope idea but I don't have the money for it right now and I'd have to make sure things fit in terms of size etc., but the prospect of it makes me fully erect.
>>
What are your thoughts on Gamegirl?
https://hackaday.io/project/10207-gamegirl-the-retro-console-done-right

I personally have high hopes for the project, which I probably shouldn't have, but I think they can make something decent.
>>
File: chrome_2016-07-19_23-38-05.png (659KB, 851x474px) Image search: [Google]
chrome_2016-07-19_23-38-05.png
659KB, 851x474px
>>3407157
>NGPC stick
Holy shit
>>
File: n e o g e o.jpg (185KB, 1152x2048px) Image search: [Google]
n e o g e o.jpg
185KB, 1152x2048px
>>3407379
>>
File: The Pasta is Incomprehensible.png (135KB, 381x303px) Image search: [Google]
The Pasta is Incomprehensible.png
135KB, 381x303px
>>3407304
Honestly, I think all this needs is a name change. Everything else seems perfect. Using a 240p display means a lot of games will look crisp, having it at 120FPS is a tad excessive but it could help out for any future games/software that support it, and it using a Pi Zero over a traditional Pi3 is not only better on cost and space, but is generally capable of some good emulation on a portable, as it can probably run most consoles pre-5th gen (maybe some light PS1 games) and even some heavy-hitting arcade games
>>
>>3407240
a neo-wonderswan would do it
>>
>>3407384
>all this needs is a name change
misogynist

>120FPS is a tad excessive
That's the refresh rate, and it's just double the actual frame rate. Anything between 120 and 60 would lead to stuttering

>for any future games/software that support it
no, that's not what it's for

>it can probably run most consoles pre-5th gen (maybe some light PS1 games) and even some heavy-hitting arcade games
it runs on a Model 1 CPU. What makes you think it'll outperform a Model 3?
>>
>>3407119
It's an original GB.
There is plenty space.

I personally would never want to tear apart an existing handheld to put a pi in. Each his own.

What gets me is you have a fuckin 3d printer, you can surely design something presentable, unlike the shit in OPs pic. Christ that d-pad placement.
No reason for it to be that huge either, its a pcb the size of a stick of gum for christs sake and a screen with some buttons.

>>3407304
I guess its a starting point, but you can do better.

I personally would personally would like to model a SP style case to fit a pi. Only use small number of buttons. Use it for videos when you're really bored, or if your desperate as hell, as a laptop.

>>3407157
this ones not bad. I like.
>>
>>3407420
>its a pcb the size of a stick of gum
not even the pi zero is, it's about twice as wide. the pi 2/3 is about the size of a pack of cigarettes
>>
>>3406783
Integer scaling is for plebs who don't know about signal processing.
>>
>>3406274
There's still a few Pandora's left in-stock: https://www.dragonbox.de/en/27-consoles-

I went ahead and grabbed the old Classic edition since I'm better off saving for the Pyra instead of paying extra for the 1ghz edition.
>>
>>3407408
>misogynist
I just think it's a tacky name.
>it runs on a Model 1 CPU. What makes you think it'll outperform a Model 3?
I'm saying that it may be able to do a good chunk of what a Model 3 can do, but nothing mind-blowing. I said light PS1 games because the Model 3 is more than capable of handling most of the PS1's library
>>
>>3401485
better buy a GPD XD
>>
File: 1423616781355.png (102KB, 330x215px) Image search: [Google]
1423616781355.png
102KB, 330x215px
>>3407408
>caring about misogyny on 4chan
>>
I just hacked a PSP and downloaded a bunch of emulators on it.
>>
>>3406274
There are still Pandoras available. They're your best option right now other than waiting for a Pyra. GCW Zero was horrible for a long list of reasons and is rightfully dead.
>>
>>3407408
back to tumblr you cuck
>>
>>3407591
>I'll just make everything blurry and then nobody will notice that it's not pixel perfect!
>>
>>3407163
Awesome learning experience and final product but a huuuuge pain in the ass to do compared to making a Pi Grrl
>>
bumperoni
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.