[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Beware, sinners

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 8

File: Atariage.png (92KB, 1528x617px) Image search: [Google]
Atariage.png
92KB, 1528x617px
Eventually all your old consoles will be kill. Emulation will be the only hope.
>>
wtf i hate cartridges now
>>
Call me back when these 40 year old Atari games stop getting mass destructed, then I might start worrying about my NES and Master System games, maybe.
>>
Mortal flesh must come to clay even this will pass away
>>
Your cartridge based Nintendo consoles will be around for a lot longer than you are.
>>
>>3401085
I'll be long gone by the time that happens so I don't really give a fl*p.
>>
BREAKING NEWS: Nothing last forever. More at 11
>>
File: 1465786162954.gif (2MB, 278x186px) Image search: [Google]
1465786162954.gif
2MB, 278x186px
>>3401172
WHAT?!
>>
I heard that electromigration didn't start to become a problem until they began doing 90 nm chips, which was in the early 2000s.
>>
So you replace chips every now and then like changing a flat tire. Most stuff that isn't a proprietary ASIC is readily obtainable or has a modern version you can substitute.
>>
Fucking revolutionary, OP!
Here I was, thinking my carts would last until the end of time.
>>
>>3401085

>all your old consoles will be kill

'no'
>>
>>3401356
>Most stuff that isn't a proprietary ASIC is readily obtainable
Dude...you know how much stuff that plays video games DOES use proprietary ASICs? Like 85% of all game consoles ever made.
>>
>>3401085

Eh not to mention simple corrosion of all the connectors and metals that aren't gold. Hey uh ain't that why people love some gold so much or what.

START PRINTING GAMES ON GOLD DIAMONDS!

OCCUPY THE JEWELRY STORES THAT OWN ALL THE PUSSY MINES AND OVERCHARGES YOUR WHIPPED ASS TO MAKE YOUR LOVE INTEREST BLOW YOU ONE LAST TIME

Also holographic storage, remember hearing about that a few years back? I think it actually did involve some sort of crystal
>>
http://retrorgb.com/gamegearmcwilllcd.html

Say here. This is a mod to put a modern LCD into a Game Gear in place of the original shitty display (color LCD panels in the early 90s were ass by today's standards).
>>
>>3401356
http://www.vcfed.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-43458.html

See here for example. In a lot of cases it's possible to adapt a modern, recently manufactured component with a little work. Basic passive components like TTLs, SRAMs, and other such stuff like that. I do understand the issue with proprietary ASICs. The problem with those is more with the older stuff that uses NMOS/HMOS since chip fabs don't use those processes anymore and it would be an issue manufacturing new replacements. But everything since the 90s uses CMOS, so...
>>
>>
>>3401085
i have a feeling that when retro consoles start shitting the bed people will start making replacement chips
>>
>>3401085
I don't really have the several millennia it will take for that to happen.
>>
>>3401462

>>3401415
This shouldn't be an issue for 90s and up stuff, but there's not really a way to accurately reproduce many 80s ICs.
>>
>>3401085
>something that would literally requires thousands of years of constant use to have an affect

I'd be far more worried about corrosion than "electro-migration".
>>
>>3401085
Eventually you will be kill.

Your old console will probably out last you.
>>
>>3401505
All the thousands of dead C64 chips would like to have a word with you.
>>
>>3401553
oiy
>>
Electromigration is easier and more common than you think. For example, overclocking is a very easy way to destroy CPUs through this.
>>
>>3401518

rekt
>>
>>3401627
Overclocking is dumb anyway. Nobody but hardc0rz ebic gam3rs tries that shit and they usually end up incinerating their CPU.
>>
He's right.
>>
Depends on the IC. CPUs and TTL are the least failure-prone things in a computer due to their comparative simplicity and low density. GPUs and DRAM are much more failure-prone as they have high density and get hot.

That's why for example Apple IIs are more reliable than a C64; they have no coprocessors, just a CPU, RAM, and TTL.
>>
File: pf54.png (111KB, 1554x754px) Image search: [Google]
pf54.png
111KB, 1554x754px
>>
Jokes on you, my computer already died long before my Genesis did.
>>
>>3401172
What about eternity, motherfucker?
>>
>>3402229
Gee, I couldn't kill my old Dell Optiplex with years of hard use often on hot summer days.
>>
>>3401085
That guy is so desperate to sound smart. What a faggot
>>
>>3402239
Chances are that thing is more durable than anything made in the 80s. You have to understand that electronics design and manufacturing in 1982 was pretty caveman compared to anything modern.
>>
>>3401085
I will be sure to make my grandkids aware of this when I pass on my cartridges in 60 years.

-Black_Wind_Wander06
>>
>>3401172
In this universe, yeah. When it collapses it'll give birth to a new universe, and so on. Existence is forever.
>>
Really though, it always seemed pretty obvious to me that you can't use a computer 8 hours a day for a couple years nonstop without something blowing out.
>>
>>3402259
>believing in the big crunch

We're getting heat death whether you like it or not, anon. Can't wait until individual atoms are spread as far apart as galaxies. The shitposting will finally end.
>>
>>3402270
There is a non-zero chance new universes will spontaneously form, given enough time. See also Boltzmann brains
>>
>>3401553
That's more to do with how static sensitive they were.
>>
>>3402284
Actually no it has to do with the C64 chipset getting hot enough to roast weenies on because they use 12v power and didn't have adequate cooling. If they'd always been heat sinked from the beginning, it wouldn't be so much of a problem but it wasn't.
>>
>>3402278
I'll believe in self-aware vacuum entities when I see one. They just jealous of our low entropy, organized environment.
>>
>>3402270
>The shitposting will finally end.
Destructured shitposting is still shitposting m8, don't kid yourself

I can stretch all the necessary atoms used to type "you're a huge faggot" all over the known universe, you'll still be known as a huge faggot, it will just take a bit more time to decode the message.
>>
File: 64534.jpg (75KB, 570x762px) Image search: [Google]
64534.jpg
75KB, 570x762px
>>3401172
I'll play my retro games in Heaven
>>
Modern ICs use copper interconnects instead of aluminum ones which reduce electromigration.
>>
>>3402291
Does electromigration even affect ICs from that era? That shit used 5 nm manufacturing which is really coarse compared to modern stuff.
>>
http://rkirchhof.com/Electromigration.html

This guy claims you can repair dead chips simply by baking them in an oven.
>>
>>3402365
Hmmmm, such a tasty treat.
Nothing better than a few Namco 163 with a hot cup of coffee to start your day.
>>
File: quest.jpg (26KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
quest.jpg
26KB, 150x150px
>thinking digital files are eternal

what is rotational velocidensity.

Once all carts dies, the remaining ROMs will only get a few more years until they start to corrupt. The future is learning how to code and reprogram the games from scratch.
>>
If anyone's got any dead Commodore chips (looking at you, TED), they're welcome to try baking them for a couple hours. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. At minimum there's nothing to lose by trying it.
>>
>>3402328
It's pretty unlikely with CPUs and TTLs, more likely with custom ASICs. TTLs in particular are one of the most durable electronics components.
>>
>>3402382
>>3402328
The VIC-II and SID are what we need to mainly be concerned about preserving. Other components in a C64 aren't as valuable. The PLA for instance is just a bunch of logic gates; there's nothing special about that chip and it could be easily recreated. The 6510 a bit less so, but WDC still manufactures 65C02s for the embedded market and the extra features of the 6510 (basically the $0/$1 I/O ports and the pause feature to allow the VIC-II to perform screen refresh) are easy to recreate with an external circuit.
>>
>>3402382
>>3402365
So as I understand it, electromigration basically causes connecting lines in the IC to melt and baking them would melt them into place?
>>
>>3402401
>but WDC still manufactures 65C02s for the embedded market
Z80s are still made to, but why though? There are tons of more modern solutions for building an embedded circuit.
>>
File: i386.jpg (198KB, 1212x1203px) Image search: [Google]
i386.jpg
198KB, 1212x1203px
>>3402382
>>3402365
Depends on the damage. Baking an IC in an oven may well fix a bonding wire that got snapped by electromigration damage, although I don't think it would help damage caused by ESD since that I imagine would affect the transistors in the chip instead.

You must understand a little bit about IC construction. Most of the actual circuitry is in the center of the chip (red area) with the outer part consisting entirely of bonding wires. The center of course is where most heat output comes from.
>>
>>3402365
cool
>>
Entropy will win, simple as that. Anyone with any decent education should know this.

I just don't give a shit if my physical media will wither.
>>
>>3402229
>playing atari 8+ hours a day
>implying it's daily
>replacing ic's after 3 years because it was used too much
I call bullshit, at the bare minimum exaggeration.
>>
>>3402381
>digital files aren't eternal
>what is rotational velocidensity.

you must mean digital MEDIUM

digital information surely is eternal by way of its easy error correction, replicability, redundancy.
>>
>>3402503
As long as it lasts until I just don't care anymore, that's good enough for me.
>>
File: nervous1407897075760.jpg (66KB, 406x586px) Image search: [Google]
nervous1407897075760.jpg
66KB, 406x586px
>>3402573

Anon, do you think it's possible that in the future people will be able to transfer their consciousness to a digital realm? Maybe inside of an artificial body?
How far are we from that realistically?
>>
>>3402582
Just watched this episode of Bebop. It was a scam.
>>
>>3401085
We'll be long dead before our consoles physically stop working, and our cartridges and discs are unable to be read.
>>
>>3402582
Even if you could, your consciousness would still exist in your body. You'd have to set up a process that killed you as the transfer (really more of a copying) went through to prevent experiencing life/death outside of the virtual realm.
>>
>>3402627
Samefag: But even if it is just copying, as long as the digital representation of you is identical and you maintain all of your memories, it is still you. As much as you are the same person as you were before you went to sleep last night.
>>
>>3402642
A seamless continuation of consciousness is important, yes, but I think making the copy and keeping the original is fine. It's like you just generated an identical twin and though the flesh bag and TV monitor can argue over who possesses the authentic self, there's really no difference. Besides, the two will immediately become unique entities as their environments affect the continuous development of personality.
>>
File: tumblr_m0iu4m5W241r2rwc8o1_500.jpg (51KB, 499x500px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m0iu4m5W241r2rwc8o1_500.jpg
51KB, 499x500px
>>3402245
HAHAHAH yeah, fuck that guy for knowing things
>>
>>3402427
Wrong. The interconnecting wires are what links each transistor pair. Electromigration leads to these wires breaking and causing an open circuit. Heating the chip in an oven may cause the broken wire to re-fuse.
>>
It's actually pretty common to bake graphics cards in an oven to repair melted traces. Modern GPUs have a lot of issues with overheating/electromigration.
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.