[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PAL/PAL60 vs. NTSC

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: PAL-NTSC-world-map.gif (33KB, 500x241px) Image search: [Google]
PAL-NTSC-world-map.gif
33KB, 500x241px
Who really had the superior TV format for retro gaming?
>>
>PAL60

If we're going to include mods and stuff like that then let's just say that RGB on an NTSC CRT is better than both.

But talking strictly retro, NTSC, since most good games in the retro era are japanese.
>>
>>3400584
Argentina and Uruguay are NTSC, though.
>>
>>3400595
>RGB on an NTSC CRT

Oxymoron. And by the way, the majority of European TVs support 60Hz with no problem.
>>
Brazil is NTSC, not PAL.
>>
>>3400595
RGB mods weren't commonplace back in the '80s/'90s.

Meanwhile, a PAL60 mod was quite simple to perform.
>>
>>3400645
I don't know about currently, but it was PAL-M. NTSC based video system, except with PAL color encoding.
>>
>>3400853

You're the guy from the CRT threads.

So what's the truth behind PAL60 being better than standard NTSC? Is the difference really that noticeable or it's just australia-kun shitposting?

Because I have played a PAL mega drive while I was in France some years ago, and other than noticing the weird slowed down music, I didn't notice anything about the colors.
>>
>>3400873
Doesn't France use SECAM? Why were you playing with PAL?
>>
>>3400873
PAL as a color encoding method is better than NTSC, due to built in error correction. It doesn't suffer from the phase and tint issues that come with NTSC that earned it the "Never the Same Color" moniker.

As a standard, it has a higher resolution but a lower refresh rate than NTSC based systems.
PAL60 uses the resolution and refresh rate of the NTSC system, but with the structure and encoding of PAL. Something that generates/outputs this as native wouldn't have the color issues of the former but with the benefits of the higher refresh. PAL's increased resolution was rarely if ever used for video games(primarily due to their origin often being an NTSC-based country) so there's no real loss there.
PAL-M is similar in that you get PAL color encoding with NTSC refresh/resolution, but works differently.

From a technical stance, PAL60 is better in that you get consistent colors with a good refresh rate.
In actual use, outside of the Dreamcast, you're not going to see native PAL60 on anything retro. Mods vary from system to system, and as someone from an NTSC country, I don't have any first hand experience with how well these work in practice; Second hand knowledge is a mixed bag of "everything works fine" to "shits fucked", and varies from system to system.

That said, you're better off going for a better video signal, be it S-Video of either encoding than searching for better composite.
Or just go RGB and remove color encoding from the conversation all together.
>>
PAL60 > NTSC > PAL

/thread
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.