[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does it hold up?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 8

File: 250px-Supermariokart_box.jpg (19KB, 250x177px) Image search: [Google]
250px-Supermariokart_box.jpg
19KB, 250x177px
Does it hold up?
>>
Not really.
>>
No. Half the screen is obscured at all times.

MK64 is far better.
>>
>>3400148

Drifting is so different to all recent ones that it's taken me ages to adjust. You HAVE to cancel the drift every time, meaning an extra hop.

Game is as fun as ever, but battlemode is derisory as everyone knows the red shell timing
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (9KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
9KB, 480x360px
>hold up
*smacks lips*
>>
Isn't this the only one without rubber banding?
That alone should make it superior to Mario Kart 64.
>>
It does, yeah.
>>
>>3400148
Nope. I'd play MK64 over it any day of the week.
>>
>>3400189
>judging MK based on SP
>not having friends
>not trouncing ez rubber banding AI
kek
>>
>>3400230

What makes MK64 better
>>
>>3400239
it's more fun :^)

btw I dont get into arguments regarding decades old games with mouthbreathing autists, just a heads up
>>
>>3400239
Good AI.
In SMK the other racers will just spam the same items over and over again, multiple times during the same lap, and every time you gain some significant advantage over them, their max speed increasse to star level so they can catch you again in just a few seconds, because Nintendo thought this was a good idea.

Super Mario Kart is the definition of aging poorly. The game was never good, people just liked it because the concept was new and exciting.
>>
>>3400262
Oh, and there's also the miraculous dodge, where the AI will just execute a super jump to avoid any hazards, because that was fair.
>>
>>3400148
Not really. Non top-down racers in general just tend to age poorly due to graphical limitations giving you a very short range of sight and primitive controls making movement restrictive in a genre defined by movement.
>>
>>3400189
Rubber banding is the whole reason to play the Mario Kart series and a lot of other Nintendo party games.
In very few other series can you have children, adults, people who play a lot, and people who've never played get a race in where they all stay close enough together to keep things exciting.

Oh wait I made the mistake of assuming /vr/ has friends.
>>
>>3400148
In singleplayer is still one of the best mario karts with ds and 8
In multiplayer 64 destroyed it
>>
Honestly, I only play Time Trial on Mario Kart games.
>>
Hell yea nigga.
Super Mario Kart is the best
>>
>>3400148
Still play it. Just played it today.

>>3400230
>>3400248
>>3400148
>MK64 is far better

Enjoy your long empty tracks.
>>
>>3400315
>In multiplayer 64 destroyed it

THIS.

64 is still the best battle mode in the series. SNES and DS have the best tracks.
>>
>>3400298
The rubberbanding is SP only, doesn't happen in MP, at least not between the two human players.
>>
>>3400298
How is that exciting? Basically a skilless game, you may as well be playing bingo or snakes and ladders. Sorta defeats the purpose of racing to an extent. Rubber-banding is a stupid curse. It's no wonder Mario Kart communities are mostly a bunch of kids when the most important part of the game is destroyed every time with no option to turn it off.
>>
>>3400189
Rubber banding is a great concept when its executed the right way and isnt just used to make the AI cheat on higher difficulties.

http://i.imgur.com/UFzGpGa.mp4
Sorry for not being able to directly upload the file, imgur is being a bastard and not just giving me a .gif but instead a .mp4 and im in a rush.
>>
>>3400159
>Half the screen is obscured at all times.
I bet you really hate those black bars that cover up movies on TV, too, huh?
>>
The gameplay is dated if you compare it to the newer MK games or CTR. But is still fun to play.
>>
I don't understand how people can say SMK's controls are bad. They just take getting used to.

I found them easier than Double Dash's controls, at least.
>>
Still love it.
>>
>>3400550

the karts turn like you were playing a FPS. Thats why is so fucking hard, most of the time you have to tap the d-pad to turn, rather than just holding the direction you want to go.
>>
File: f-zero.jpg (254KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
f-zero.jpg
254KB, 1280x720px
All Mario Kart games are for faggots.
>>
It's still the best Mario Kart game, so yeah.
>>
>>3400609
But OP didn't post Mario Kart DS.
>>
>>3400148
i guess it has the most difficult route because compared to other games its successors are way stronger. But it still holds up because it's a fucking iconic and classy game. It's way better than some might think.
>>
>>3400148
Grab the cart with both hands and hold it over your head.

You're holding it up.
>>
I normally prefer SNES title to 64 (muh nostalgia) but I actually like the N64 Mario Kart a lot more.
>>
File: CPv7zWyUsAEmmGS.jpg-large.jpg (68KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
CPv7zWyUsAEmmGS.jpg-large.jpg
68KB, 1024x768px
>>
>>3400262
>mk64
>good AI
>smk AI will speed boost to catch u

never gained a 3+sec lead in mk64 have you? do it sometime. And then watch the mini map as the AI hacks and goes 5x speed and then 2nd place passes you on final turn for the win.

>>3400239
it isnt. It has 4player and some nice locations to race in/at. But the courses are longer than other MK games, and spaced out so far and wide that they can put u to sleep.

Rainbow road takes over 2min to do 1lap. Every other mk game, average lap is around 30sec. Take that into perspective for a second... Oh rainbow road aint the only snooze race in mk64. Kalimari Desert hardly has any turns and only 1 obstacle. As a kid I never raced that track and when I saw it on MK7 I bout raged.
>>
I wonder if its possible to get my cart's battery replaced while still keeping a charge. I have some fantastic race times from my childhood that I don't want to lose.
>>
Some guys at my fraternity do a game called "Drunk Driving". Basically, you plop in MK64 and there are two rules:

1. You must drink a full beer by the end of a race.
2. You may not drink while accelerating. This includes pressing the A button or using any items.

We actually use MK64 because of it's rubber banding feature. It provides great fun with friends.
>>
>>3400848
Also, the goal is to complete a whole prix.

I just wish we could play better retro games together.
>>
>>3400148

yes, incredibly well. SMK is still my favorite game in the series.
>>
>>3400280
>top down
>smk
>>
>>3402471
I can't read and I'm gay
>>
>>3400782
This guy is right. MK64 is boring. Boring courses, cheating AI, lame music.

Super still holds up decently. Better than 64, for sure.
>>
>>3400298

Those are all horrible things tough. Thank god Sega brought skill to the genre with all stars transformed.
>>
>>3400848
>We actually use MK64 because of it's rubber banding feature. It provides great fun with friends.
MK64 doesn't have rubber banding between the players you retard. The rubberbanding only works between the AI and the human players - and only on the AI's side.
>>
>>3402548
I think he tried to say no matter how much drunk they were the cpus were drunk too
>>
It's OK. Mario Kart 64 is better, but it has insane rubber banding (rubber banding isn't bad, but MK64 has too much of it)
>>
There aren't many retro games who still have World Championships, as in IRL events.

But SMK is one.
>>
It's hard to understand due to the items looking like they're on the floor
>>
>>3400574
>most of the time you have to tap the d-pad to turn

Wow, that's just too complicated
>>
>>3400773
I'm more of a Le Mans sim guy but Ridge Racer holds a special place in my heart. I love drifting those turns.
>>
>>3400752
do you have autism?
>>
File: 1470072096274.jpg (35KB, 555x372px) Image search: [Google]
1470072096274.jpg
35KB, 555x372px
>>3400148
Mario Kart 64 is by far the one that holds up the best.
>>
>>3400472
Oh, those black bars take up literally 50% of the screen? Yeah, it's nothing like that. Nice try though.
>>
>>3400592
And all fzero games are for homos
>>
>>3400159
>No. Half the screen is obscured at all times.

shocked no on'es modded the game to fix that. THe giant map is really annoying.
>>
>>3402536
While a good game, all stars racing transformed isn't without flaws. Boat sections are shit, in multiplayer being in first place near the start of the race basically guarantees you'll win due to everybody behind you fighting it out to try and catch up to you, while you gain a larger lead due to not being attacked. Not directly related but having achievements that require you to have 4 good players locally means you'll basically never get some.
>>
>>3400782
>then 2nd place passes you on final turn for the win.
>not holding a weapon behind your ass to shit on the AI when it tries to do that

It's easy af to consistently get first place in mk64 and if you don't manage to do that you're beyond fucking retarded. Winning a tournament with first place should be absolutely guaranteed. Are you really so shit that you can't manage this vr?
>>
Toad v Koopa
Battle Course 1

My friend and I have played this for over 20 years and it's still the best two player game ever made.
>>
Yeah. I play it sometimes.

The people saying its bad are unfun faglords
>>
>>3400262
I hated the way Luigi could always just go invincible whenever he wanted.
>>
Why the fuck couldn't they have made 1 player fullscreen? I'd have thought it would be slightly less taxing on system resources to process one player full screen than 2 in split screen.
>>
has the best ost of all mario karts hands down
>>
its actually the only one I consider legitimate

all the later mario karts are kind of easy? the control method is far too easy on the true 3d versions

I dont understand how anyone made the transition, I can only assume it was completely different players that started with the n64 version
>>
File: gljscue9ljysgq56uvjn.gif (4MB, 636x284px) Image search: [Google]
gljscue9ljysgq56uvjn.gif
4MB, 636x284px
>>3400148

Still the best, because rubber band AI is the shittiest shit that was ever shat.
>>
>>3400148
In my opinion it does. The controls are much tighter in comparison to the newer MK games. I also like the coin mechanic, compact courses, graphics/music.

I think it comes down to preference. Each game holds a separate design to appeal to different play styles.
>>
>>3400592
Fzero snes
1 player only
Fuk dat
>>
File: wacky-wheels_8.png (9KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
wacky-wheels_8.png
9KB, 320x200px
I always liked this pc clone since there was a deathmatch arena option

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vVIiKp6xMs
>>
>>3410238

what mod is this
>>
>>3410335

Unfortunately this is just an animation, not a mod.
>>
File: 1468368278911.png (17KB, 253x147px) Image search: [Google]
1468368278911.png
17KB, 253x147px
I like Wacky Wheels more because there isn't a fuckhuge map taking up half the screen while preserving most of the gameplay.
>>
I had more fun with MK64.
>>
>>3400148
Mode 7 in general has aged like milk. F-Zero is the only one I can think of that's even remotely playable.
>>
>reads thread
>people complaining about rubber banding and drift mechanics
>not a single person has mentioned how broke AI in general is in this game e.g. unlimited weapons, impossible jumps and drifts.

You guys do /vr/, right?
>>
>>3412524
>>3400262
I tell a lie. This guy beat me to it.
>>
Its pretty good. Never really played it that frequently except for when I was trying to get my drivers license. I doubt it helped, but it was fun to pretend. Havnt really touched it since.
>>
>>3400148
I prefer Sonic R myself
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.