[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Comix Zone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 17

File: comix-zone-usa[1].png (15KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
comix-zone-usa[1].png
15KB, 320x224px
Will we ever see Sketch Turner again?
>>
I seen him yesterday
>>
File: Sti.png (2KB, 76x134px) Image search: [Google]
Sti.png
2KB, 76x134px
Let's be honest here, Comix Zone is the only excellent game STI ever made, all the rest are either "okay", or interesting on a tech level or just a little annoying.

STI should really have stuck to the Comix Zone franchise until they learned how to ground themselves a bit in terms of game design, or just continue sticking to developing tech / providing support for other SEGA studios.

Sonic X-Treme was going to be a mess as well, you better believe it
>>
>>3399797
Die Hard Arcade is pretty great
>>
>>3399805
Obviously it is, but they weren't the ones that designed the game, they just handled the Saturn port.
AM1 did the game.
>>
>>3399797
>Comix Zone is the only excellent game STI ever made, all the rest are either "okay", or interesting on a tech level or just a little annoying.
A friend of mine from highschool had both Comix Zone and The Ooze.

The Ooze was pretty cool. I just never beat it. Some of the soundtrack is nice, similar to Comix Zone because Howard Drossin worked on it too.

But I agree. Comix Zone was surely their best project.
>>
>>3399805
You mean Deka Dynamite?
>>
>>3399809
No he means Dynamite Deka
>>
>>3399814
>>3399809
Dekamite Dyna
>>
>>3399809
>>3399814
>>3399825
Cease & desist your shit, retards.
>>
>>3399782
No we wont. Its too late for a Comix Zone 2. Should of had a sequel on the Saturn. Think about how sick that could of been.
>>
>>3399834
You mean Desist & Cease?
>>
>>3399850
>>3399851
>Should of
>could of
>could of
Fuck off back to /v/
>>
File: 1456435746755.jpg (180KB, 573x729px) Image search: [Google]
1456435746755.jpg
180KB, 573x729px
>>3399889
>>
File: FB_IMG_1443030482528.jpg (24KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1443030482528.jpg
24KB, 300x300px
>>3399894
>>
>>3399894
>>3399898

nice facebook memes guys.

I think if Comix Zone was to return in this day and age, Sega should hire Platinum to do a new game. Get Kamiya's ass into making some cool as shit cel-shaded comic beat 'em up game and we're set.
You never now, it could happen, the thing is that it could also go wrong and Sega could hire Tameem to do it.
>>
Just got this game is pretty perfect condition for 15 bucks. Label is perfect. Took me a few tries but I finally made it to the boss only to die due to no health.
>>
SEEEEEEEE YA
>>
>>3399905
The thing is Comix Zone is kind of duplicitous, at a core the mechanics are of a beat'em up, but if you play the game solely as a beat'em up you'll be royally fucked. The great switcheroo about the game is trying to play it more like an Adventure game, handling item management and consider every encounter very tactically. It's quite an oddball game.
>>
>>3399920
It's more like
> Seeh(beat)Yah
>>
>>3399921

I know, that's why I said Kamiya, guy directed Resident Evil 2.
>>
I love this game but can't get past level 1. It's fun though. It's so 90s.
>>
>>3399941
>Can't get past level 1.
Please tell me youre joking fampai
>>
>>3399905
>Sega should hire Platinum to do a new game
But most of Platinum's games are shit. Transformers, Bayonetta, TMNT, Legend of Korra etc., they're all shit. Their only game particularly great is MGRR. What makes you think Platinum wouldn't fuck up Comix Zone?
>>
>>3399905
>could also go wrong and Sega could hire Tameem to do it.
I would much rather allow Tameem/Ninja Theory do it, at least DmC didn't have QTEs. And unless you're some kind of autistic faggot that can't handle things that are different, DmC isn't nearly as bad as the retarded fans of DMC4 made it out to be.
>>
>>3400369
Care to give a breakdown of why you think Bayonetta is shit?
>>
>>3399930
>I know, that's why I said Kamiya, guy directed Resident Evil 2.
And it was the ONLY survival horror game he ever touched. You know why? Because he doesn't even like survival horror. You want the real brains behind RE2, then bring up Yoshiki Okamoto, he worked on all classic REs right up until Code Veronica, he also worked on Dino Crisis, Megaman X4 and X5. I'm sure he'd be far more competent at designing Comix Zone than fucking Kamiya, whose recent track record of games has been garbage after garbage since he left Capcom (except for MGRR as I mentioned earlier).

>>3400376
>Care to give a breakdown of why you think Bayonetta is shit?
Why bother? No matter what I say, it's just going to incite a flamewar, so let's just agree to disagree, I just never liked it. On the other hand, I can say this much: DMC3 and DMC1 have infinitely superior gameplay and feel better designed overall.
>>
>>3400381
>so let's just agree to disagree, I just never liked it.

Okay, that's a much more reasonable statement than "they're all shit". But I guess everyone here always has to be as hyperbolic about everything as possible.

> I can say this much: DMC3 and DMC1 have infinitely superior gameplay and feel better designed overall.
>infinitely superior
>infinitely

Just like that, which really just makes what you're saying mean nothing at all.
>>
>>3399782
classic example of mediocre game getting overrated because it's somewhat original
>>
File: eccoH.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
eccoH.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>3400404
>>3400404
More like a classic example of an excellent game getting underrated because it's difficult and unusual.
>>
File: Andre_Lobineau.png (69KB, 205x309px) Image search: [Google]
Andre_Lobineau.png
69KB, 205x309px
>>3399782
we saw him a bunch of times
>>
>>3400390
>Just like that, which really just makes what you're saying mean nothing at all.
Fine then. I'll break it down to the basics. What qualifies as a great game for me?
Step 1: Controls. How the game is played and how the game is meant to be played.
Step 2: Graphics, that is to say, the overall aesthetics, animations, character/enemy/weapon design, etc.
Step 3: Sound design & music.
Step 4: Everything else not listed above.

Basically Bayonetta instantly failed in the first three steps for me, making everything else useless. DMC1 and 3 didn't. Hence, "infinitely superior," implying that Bayonetta is 0% competent, unlike the other two that succeeded at everything.

>>3400404
>mediocre game getting overrated because it's somewhat original
Originality is rare. It should always be appreciated even if you don't necessarily agree with the general consensus, especially if it's not based on anything or has never been replicated or emulated by other developers.

Other examples include (and I'm sorry they're not retro): Shadow of the Colossus, Folklore, Haunting Ground, Eternal Darkness.
>>
>take damage to open a door
Shit game.
>>
>>3400415
Well at least two of your three criteria are completely subjective and the other you don't even describe how it's different in any way or how it "failed instantly"

Whatever your opinion is, is fine I just find the way you express it odd. I have no love for either Bayonetta or any of the DMCs though. They both seemed like new versions of beat em ups which is a genre I always found boring.

I would take Comix Zone over any of them any day.
>>
>>3400416
You take damage trying to punch a door open. Go try it out and see if you take any damage in real life.
>>
>>3400416
Most of the time there are ways around it like bombs/weapons to break the door down. Gotta have roadkill search the levels and reveal secret items.
>>
File: 1468887057860.jpg (71KB, 600x395px) Image search: [Google]
1468887057860.jpg
71KB, 600x395px
>>3400464
>>
>>3400381
>Why bother? No matter what I say, it's just going to incite a flamewar,
And it's not retro.
>>
>>3400464
Yeah anyone could break through that sort of door. How about solid timber?
>>
File: bayoops.png (511KB, 473x489px) Image search: [Google]
bayoops.png
511KB, 473x489px
>>3400369

>DMC3 and DMC1 have infinitely superior gameplay and feel better designed overall.

>infinitely superior gameplay

Infinitely? That's kind of hyperbolic, dontcha think? Also, I like both DMC 3 and Bayonetta, and I find it hard to believe people can like one but despise the other. You might have a preference for one of them (I prefer Bayo myself), but actually thinking DMC is shit? Nah, it's great, too. I love DMC1 as well, but it's not as good as Bayo or DMC3 in terms of pure combat mechanics.

>>3400415

>Step 1: Controls. How the game is played and how the game is meant to be played.

What problem did you have with the controls in Bayonetta?

>Step 2: Graphics, that is to say, the overall aesthetics, animations, character/enemy/weapon design, etc.

OK that's subjective, but you didn't like the aesthetics on Bayonetta? I loved it, pretty much everything about the Bayonetta world I love.

>Step 3: Sound design & music.

Sound design on Bayonetta was amazing, especially since they got original remixes from Hiro (from Sega) of the Space Harrier and After Burner themes. But on top of that, there's the amazing soundtrack of the game from Rei Kondo and the other guys. The sound design in Bayonetta overall felt pretty amazing to me, what is it that you didn't like about it? Don't tell me, you didn't like Fly me to the moon, right? Man, if that's the case it saddens me that there's people who don't like that remix, I can never get tired of it

>Step 4: Everything else not listed above.

So you completely despise Bayonetta for pretty much everything it stands for... I don't get it, it isn't even that different from DMC. Combat has some important differences, but both games share a lot of the same dev team. Hashimoto, Kamiya, Don-san doing the enemy programming... it's hard to believe someone who loves DMC can hate Bayonetta.
>>
>>3400486
>>Infinitely? That's kind of hyperbolic, dontcha think?
Ya don't fucking say?!
>>
>>3400497
>>3400497
Yeah that guy was just spewing random bullshit and trying to cover up not having anything to say by being extra extreme about it.
>>
>>3400504

I will concede that DMC3 has infinitely superior gameplay to shitting in your own mouth.
>>
>>3400541
>infinitely superior
>>
>>3399782
Probably in a mobile app
>>
>>3399782
one day anon, i still hold hope in the far future for a sequel.
>>
>>3399782
Test one two....
>>
>>3400789

welcome back fag
>>
>>3400879
It's from the intro to the game...
>>
>>3399791

Yeah? Well I've seen it for days.
>>
>>3400406
Ecco was not excellent. It wasn't bad, but not a great game.
>>
>>3400464
>Implying his health didn't chip
Anyway, just shoulder ram it to lose as little as possible, you cocklord.
>>
>>3401529
It's excellent if you like what it's trying to do. Most people don't though.
>>
My first time playing this game was on PC in the late 90's
>>
>>3399999
>>
File: comixzonej.jpg (104KB, 494x700px) Image search: [Google]
comixzonej.jpg
104KB, 494x700px
There was a GBA port which was trash. Also some PSP game that was heavily influenced by it.

Still it's a damn shame we'll never see another game like this even though comics are the "in" thing at the moment. If there was a proper sequel it would have to be done in a proper engine like ubiart or something like that.

Comix Zone is the kinda game that would not benefit from the 2.5 treatment. Who knows, maybe if Sonic Mania blows up and sells gangbusters then maybe SEGA will get off their asses and bring back some more legacy franchises.

>>3400369
>Transformers
>Bad
I think platinum are a gratuitously overrated developer but devastation was the best thing to come out of transformers in nearly a decade.
>>
>>3402157
You poor bastard.
>>
>>3400464
You try that with my door; it's solid oak and reinforced with metal bars.
>>
File: comix-zone-0013.jpg (279KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
comix-zone-0013.jpg
279KB, 1920x1080px
>>3402212
How long would it take to punch thru this door?
>>
>>3401225

Underrated post

That soundtrack is awesome, it's every cliché from the 90's grunge rock era condensed into 6 songs. Howard Drossing is mah nigga
>>
>>3402332
>Drossing
Drossin*

It's funny to think about how he himself can't even remember half the lyrics he wrote at the time. I recall reading about it in a chat session he had with some fans about 2 years (?) ago.
>>
>>3400334

Sadly no. I can't seem to play most 8 bit or 16 bit games. I can't even beat the second zone in Sonic 1 anymore.
>>
>>3402361
You're probably just trying to rush through the game without actually learning how to play it. Take your time, play smart. Then you can beat anything.
>>
>>3402383
This. The first couple stages of Comix Zone aren't even really hard, you just have to pay attention and not rush.
>>
>>3399806
>they just handled the Saturn port.

They worked on the arcade version, which runs on a Saturn-in-a-cab.
>>
No Japanese dev could ever make justice for a Comix Zone sequel. They'd just make it some slash'n'bash game with quick motions and quirky Japanese humour and random manga lines.

Comix Zone was outrageously *cool*. It was a product of its time. You had a Gen X-er kicking mutants from one panel to the other while Nirvana was blasting from the speakers.
You just couldn't pull off a game like that today when a normal game needs to have 1080p full 3d open worlds and massive online multiplayer to have a chance. Comic books don't look like that either, and are all about huge crossovers and re-inventing existing characters as gay black latino women so they look closer to their movie casting.

I'd much rather see Vectorman updated, or perhaps Alisia Dragoon or Ranger X. Those could actually look kick ass with current tech, and there is no cultural obstacles to either.

>>3402293
>How long would it take to punch thru this door?

As long as it takes to place the dynamite.
>>
File: invisible inc.jpg (166KB, 620x327px) Image search: [Google]
invisible inc.jpg
166KB, 620x327px
>>3402448
>You just couldn't pull off a game like that today when a normal game needs to have 1080p full 3d open worlds and massive online multiplayer to have a chance.

Explain why Shovel Knight and Undertale are so wildly popular then. Someone talented could and should make a spiritual successor to this game these days, it could be incredible.
>>
>>3402489
>Explain why Shovel Knight and Undertale are so wildly popular then
I'm sure the other anon was taking state of the art graphics into consideration over, let's say, pixel art.
>>
>>3402492
But a Comix Zone remake could make great use of pixel art. Also I posted a screenshot of a recent, popular and neat looking game that doesn't use pixel art.

It's okay though, I wasn't expecting a real response. He's the guy who can't get over how much everything sucks now because of liberals and we get to hear about it every day here.
>>
>>3402497
>But a Comix Zone remake could make great use of pixel art
Of course it could. The only question remainds is this: how would it be designed now?

Would it just be a straight up remake, no changes to the gameplay, controls, progression, etc. like the Sonic remakes people are making?

Or would it be the same game, with modernized and completely reworked level design, enemies, bosses, etc. like Castle of Illusion (Mickey Mouse)?

Would it even still be a 2D beat'em up, or be changed into a different genre, perhaps Metroidvania?
>>
>>3402534
Any of those things would be possible, and probably liked if it was handled well. Platformers in general have been seeing a bit o a resurgence lately, so it would depend on who was making it.

If it were me, it would be a sequel or spiritual successor, either could be good. Just keep a similar set up of being sucked into his comic and then fighting through the pages and different scenarios. I'd have it stick very close to the original game in terms of gameplay and branching level design. Pixel art could work, but I'd rather go for something that looked like it was moving comic art. Probably through some use of 3D and cell shading like Okami or Guilty Gear.

I'd also love, love, love to see an M2 3D port of the original game.
>>
File: child of light_screen06_156422.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
child of light_screen06_156422.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>3402550
Child of Light is a good example of how it could look. More comic booky ideally, but similar idea.
>>
>>3402157
I played a shareware version of this game on the PC when I was a kid. Then years later (when I was a teenager) I would play it on the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection compilation for the PS3.
>>
>>3400409
Why the fuck do you have Nico's panties you French fuck?
>>
>>3400372
>I would much rather allow Tameem/Ninja Theory do it

yuck taste anon

>at least DmC didn't have QTEs

It didn't? Either way, most of what people call "QTE" in platinum games are actually more like pummeling, not QTE.

>DmC isn't nearly as bad

stopped reading there, go to bed Tameem.
>>
>>3402497
IT's supposed to be a comic. So it should look like one. That's not to say is should be like those 90's ones. Now there are some comics with carying mediums of art. mite b cool.
>>
>>3403018
>It didn't? Either way, most of what people call "QTE" in platinum games are actually more like pummeling, not QTE.
>excusing QTE with bullshit
Get out.
>>
>>3399894
It means sour right? Or is that the joke?
>>
>>3404139
>not knowing what salty means
>>
>>3404059
>liking DmC and Ninja Theory

Kys.
>>
>>3399920

I say this to people all the time with this rhythm and tone but I don't think anybody knows it's a reference
>>
>>3401529

You're wrong
>>
>>3402497

I feel that a Comix Zone sequel would have to be pixel art. Despite being made in the 90s itself, it's practically the Double Dragon Neon of the 90s with it's style, setting, characters and music. Making it look like a game from the 90s is only appropriate.
>>
>>3404059

No u
>>
>>3404531
I don't think it's as necessary for Comix Zone to cash in on nostalgia though. A game that looks like a motion comic would be awesome, and that's exactly what it should look like.
>>
>>3404619

I don't agree

What's memorable about Comix Zone is the intensely 90s atmosphere. Updating it would make it bland and certainly not appeal in the same way.
>>
File: comixdori_com__06_09_5.jpg (53KB, 492x276px) Image search: [Google]
comixdori_com__06_09_5.jpg
53KB, 492x276px
>>3404663
I totally agree with all of that, I just don't think you need pixel art to pull it off. Make it look like the cover art, but moving. Heck with technology now you could even make it look like it's really on a page. Use some moire patterning in place of pixel dithering, make it look like a shitty 90's comic. It would look awesome and totally 90's.
>>
>>3404745

Okay, this idea I like
>>
>>3404745
This sounds like the best direction. You'd also need Howard Drossin to come back and record some more grunge.
>>
>>3404745
This, keep the character designs and themes in the 90s but bring the visuals into the 21st century, something like Wario Land Shake It.
>>
Dammit now I'm all hyped for a Comix Zone remake that will never happen
>>
All they need to do to update is just expand the screen resolution and area to widescreen. Keep it like Sonic CDs HD version, where aesthetically it looks exactly the same just in HD. Maybe add an extra couple of pages or a whole episode to expand the game, give the option to have extra lives/continues or play it originally where it's one continue max. Have cleaner voice samples and choose whether you want the original Genesis music or instrumental arrangements from the Sega Tunes album.

>>3404782
Yes, but as long as Howard doesn't sing. I love the arrangements on the Sega Tunes CD but vocally holy shit can Drossin not sing to save his life. Either hire a real singer or use instrumentals.
>>
File: 1442241731368.jpg (193KB, 619x597px) Image search: [Google]
1442241731368.jpg
193KB, 619x597px
>>3402293
>>
>>3399782
fuckin love this game
>>
>>3402185
I actually like both the Nip and Burgerland box art.
>>
>>3405015
>Yes, but as long as Howard doesn't sing
The fuck are you talking about? He sung the way he was supposed to sing in grunge songs. What are you talking about?
>>
>>3406053
Yes, he sang in a way that sounds like hes in a parody of a shitty high school cover band trying to play originals. Compare Drossin's zero range yardling to Chris Cornell from Soundgarden or Layne Staley from Alice in Chains.
>>
So I just got this game about a week ago. Ive been playing it after work every night trying to beat it.

People say the game is one of the hardest on the Sega Genesis but honestly its not. Granted it is a tough game and took me a week to beat, but once you memorize the right paths to take it really isnt too dificult. I just got the good ending on my first playthrough tonight. The last level was very generous with health potions giving me 3 throughout the whole level.
>>
File: b9b7bca7cd55c4112b1d54bf.jpg (272KB, 800x2500px) Image search: [Google]
b9b7bca7cd55c4112b1d54bf.jpg
272KB, 800x2500px
Comix Zone is one of those games that I remember beating as a kid, then when I try to play it again after all these years it's not nearly as simple as I remember. Guess I lost the touch after being out of practice?
>>
>>3406218
>shitty high school cover band trying to play originals
So, Nirvana was a shitty high school cover band? Good talk.

>>3407286
>Granted it is a tough game and took me a week to beat
Great! I'm legitimately happy to hear about someone who's never played this game before and was dedicated enough to beat it. Did you figure out that the rat can uncover secret items and hidden shortcuts when you let it out in certain areas?

Also you can beat the game in like 20 minutes but one minor mistake can really screw everything up.

>>3407319
I know how you feel, I'm the same with all of my fave games, like Batman Returns and Shinobi III. Both games are relatively easy but you gotta be in the... zone, no pun intended, to play all the way through.
>>
>>3404745
That actually sounds pretty radical, you could have comic book rendering inside all of the panels then Sketch turns realistic when he pops out into different panels.
>>
>>3407805
Yeah without roadkill I would never get through it. A lot of people have complained about the final boss but he isnt too difficult. You just gotta lure him to the bottom of the screen and then flip the switch. Only takes like 4 or 5 hits.
>>
>>3407805
Nigger if think this constitutes as even remotely good singing when compared to bands with actual singers from the same time then you're fucking deaf: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvzC7W7M9ec

If Drossin was trying sound like a shitty parody of those singers, then he did a great job. Otherwise, his vocals suck ass.

>Nirvana was a shitty high school cover band?
They certainly weren't the best musicians when compared to some their contemporaries.
Thread posts: 104
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.