[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Metal Gear Solid for GBC (Ghost Babel)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 9

File: metal gear solid game boy.jpg (21KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
metal gear solid game boy.jpg
21KB, 480x360px
A mostly ignored (in my experience) classic. I would have expected a metal gear for game boy color to have been kind of half-assed, but this was really great.
>>
>>3399726
Well of course it's good it's made by the same people that made MG2, minus Kojima hovering above everyone to fuck something up. Best 2 MG game desu.
>>
Fukushima > Kojima
>>
>>3399726
It's pretty good. I've never played vr missions but I assume it recreates pretty much that entire game in vr mode aside from the murder mystery, big soldiers, and picture taking bits. In addition to a campaign comparable to the Playstation mgs in terms of length, gameplay mechanics, and storytelling
>>
>>3399734
But Fukushima was just a writer? And he wrote the scripts for both Ghost Babel and MGS.
>>
>>3399734
>Kojima is worse than a nuclear reactor going critical
harsh
>>
>>3399736
>But Fukushima was just a writer?
Kojima isn't even that.
>>
Elder God Tier:
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake

High Tier:
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel
Metal Gear

Mid Tier:
Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2

Low Tier:
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
Metal Gear Solid 4

Shit Tier:
Metal Gear Solid V
>>
>>3399741
wow, first tierlist i can agree with 100%. nice job my man
>>
>>3399741
I would put MGS4 above PW as at least that one wasn't a slog and went straight to the point.
>>
>>3399737
kek
>>
>>3399741
>3 that high
Treating your injuries, hunting, eating and switching between camouflages was dull as hell, it's the only Metal Gear I just can't bring myself to replay.
>>
>>3399778
Hunting and eating was OK for me. Injuries were just a pointless chore at least on the difficulty level I played with, since you never really ran out of anything it was just more pointless time wasted in the menu. Switching between camouflages would have been just a pointless chore adding nothing to challange on any difficulty level, I presume.

Nonetheless it's probably my favorite MGS, can't really explain why though.
>>
>>3399794
Not that anon though.
>>
>>3399726
One of my favorite Metal Gear games, along with MG2 and MGS2.

It has some shit that I'd rather it didn't (the gate puzzles and cardboard box sequence don't really add much to the game, and having to run through the mine field while dodging bombs was irritating), but it's a very well-designed game. It's arguably as balanced as the game design in Metal Gear ever got. It also manages to add variety to sneaking itself, much like MG2 did, and that's something the series kind of lost as it went on.
>>
>>3399734
that's wrong though since MGS is Kojima's brainchild.

Fukushima might be a better writer but I don't think he "carried" all of MGS up until he left.
>>
>>3399734
>that's wrong though since MGS is Kojima's brainchild.
You know those cool and unique little details his games were full of? Well, his team came up with most of them. Kojima is just a hack that takes all the credit.
>>
>>3399778
>Opinions
3 is my favorite in the series specifically because of a lot of that stuff. Made for a much more interesting game than the other ones.
>>
File: SnakesRevenge1.png (7KB, 258x226px) Image search: [Google]
SnakesRevenge1.png
7KB, 258x226px
Snake's Revenge is also good, most people lump it with the NES version of Metal Gear 1, but Snake's Revenge wasn't rushed like the former was. It's not as good as MG2 or Ghost Babel, but it's still worth playing if you enjoyed Metal Gear 1 (MSX).
>>
File: 1000+ hours in poorman's gimp.png (502KB, 536x504px) Image search: [Google]
1000+ hours in poorman's gimp.png
502KB, 536x504px
>>3399741
>the first Metal Gear in high tier
>MGS1 and 2 not a tier above 3 (especially 2)

You tried.
>>
File: CXHu93bUQAEIiug.jpg orig.jpg (844KB, 1609x2048px) Image search: [Google]
CXHu93bUQAEIiug.jpg orig.jpg
844KB, 1609x2048px
>>3399726
>A mostly ignored (in my experience) classic.
It's always brought up by retro gamers, hipsters and contrarians. It's good for a GBC game, but kinda overrated by anti-Kojimafags who want to discredit his work because they're mad over MGSV not living up to their personal fanfiction or whatever childish hangup they have over the guy because they can't look pass the cult of personality.

>>3399731
Please don't make up shit you don't know about. None of the MSX Metal Gear staff were ever employed by KCE Japan other than Kojima himself. It's obvious by just looking up at all the people listed on the staff roll and what other games they worked on.

>>3399734
Fukushima wasn't even the game's director, he was just a scenario writer. It was Shinta Nojiri's baby with Ikuya Nakamura doing the artwork and chara designs. And even then, they all still worked under Kojima's supervision.
>>
>>3400089
>Well, his team came up with most of them. Kojima is just a hack that takes all the credit.
Yeah, you care so much about Kojima's staff members, that you can't even name any of them outside Kojima himself and Shinkawa.
>>
>>3400330
>but kinda overrated by anti-Kojimafags who want to discredit his work because they're mad over MGSV not living up to their personal fanfictio

I have never heard this before this thread.
>>
>>3400330

>It's good for a GBC game
It's good period, it would be good if it was on MSX too.

>kinda overrated by anti-Kojimafags who want to discredit his work because they're mad over MGSV

What? people have been liking Ghost Babel for a while, nothing to do with supposed anti-Kojimafags or MGSV disappointment.
>>
File: CXHvAspUwAACvRP.jpg orig.jpg (869KB, 1620x2048px) Image search: [Google]
CXHvAspUwAACvRP.jpg orig.jpg
869KB, 1620x2048px
>>3400350
You probably don't post at MGS threads often on /v/. There's one tinfoil Fukushimafag (probably this guy>>3399734) who always brings up that Metal Gear GB has a higher metacritic rating than some of the main MGS games.

At any rate, Metal Gear GB is not really that obscure. I would argue there's probably discussion about it than Portable Ops or Acid.
>>
>>3400359
GB was super popular long before MGSV. Heck long before MGS 4 or 3 for that matter. And yes, it's excellent period. That it's excellent and on the GBC is what surprises most people.
>>
>>3400365
>You probably don't post at MGS threads often on /v/.

You are correct. I don't know if I've ever posted in an MGS thread on /v/. But what you're saying does make more sense now. Don't confuse one lonely try hard troll with a general attitude though.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's metacritic score is higher than the others though.

And no, it's not obscure. It's widely regarded as one of the best GBC games of all time. Any GB recommendation or favorites thread will have it mentioned constantly.
>>
>>3400359
>It's good period, it would be good if it was on MSX too.
It would've probably been a lot better on MSX2 since at least the radar would've been clearer and useful, even though it would mean losing the scrolling. The GBC's small resolution and aspect ratio isn't really that suited for stealth gameplay.

Also, ditching that color-coded cardboard box puzzle would improve the pacing of the game tremendously.

>>3400367
>What? people have been liking Ghost Babel for a while, nothing to do with supposed anti-Kojimafags or MGSV disappointment.
>GB was super popular long before MGSV. Heck long before MGS 4 or 3 for that matter.
So it's not really that obscure at all.
>>
>>3400375
Yeah OP's post is misleading. He may not be aware, but it's by no means mostly ignored. Behind Pokemon and Link's Awakening it's probably one of the most popular games on the system ever.
>>
I've always felt Ghost Babel and MGS1 PSX had the best tone and story of all of the MGS games. I do sort of feel like that had to do with Fukushima more than Kojima.

I don't think Fukushima carried MGS, but I feel like he might have been the yin to Kojima's eccentric yang, because once Kojima became a superstar and got total control, the games really suffered in all the non-gameplay departments (which were in my opinion the best parts of the series).

I kinda wish Konami would make a new game and Fukushima would come back to write for it without Kojima and we'd see if what everyone thinks is true...
>>
>>3400103
It's not a total mess, but there are a lot of shitty things in it that bring the game down. I think it's a lesser game than the MSX original, for the most part.
>>
>>3400330
Ghost Babel is sincerely one of my favorite Metal Gear games period, and it has nothing to do with anti-Kojima rage or something. I think that's a somewhat sloppy and dull argument. Even though I think the games after (and to some extent including) MGS3 are a lot less interesting, I still respect him and I think Fukushima's inflated significance is a bit goofy.

I just think Ghost Babel has a lot of great game design. Sneaking is tight and balanced, the sprite work is great, there's a lot of variety in environments and how you sneak (grass, the puddles/ponds, having to avoid electrified water while sneaking, etc.). Anyone with a preference for the games before MGS3 could easily see it as a highlight of the series. I know I do.
>>
File: snake04.gif (1KB, 256x240px) Image search: [Google]
snake04.gif
1KB, 256x240px
>>3400440

I'm not sure if I prefer Snake's Revenge or original MG, both are kind of tied for me, as in both are enjoyable but still get their share of bullshit moments.
Revenge has a better soundtrack (and probably one of the best soundtracks in the series) and also introduced some things that would later become part of the series, like evading light projectors, something that was later used in MGS.
>>
>>3400185
>MGS2
>good
top kek
>>
>>3399741

You forgot Portable Ops and Ac!d
>>
>>3400367
>That it's excellent and on the GBC is what surprises most people.
the hate that system gets is frustrating
>>
>>3400485
GBC really doesn't get much hate. It gets a ton of love. Even still it was surprising to everyone just how good that game was.
>>
>>3400492
>Even still it was surprising to everyone just how good that game was
but that "surprise" assumes a default stance that GBC games, and hence the system itself, are shit
>>
>>3400485
GBC was the worst Gameboy. Hell, I'd even rank the DS above it.

GB > GBA > DS > GBC > 3DS
>>
>>3400507
Not shit, but limited. Traditionally you wouldn't expect gameboy games to be as deep in the gameplay department as PS1 games, but GB is surprisingly close to MGS1 gameplay wise.

>>3400508

DS was an awesome system...
>>
>>3400508
>OG GB over everything else
Nah, senpai.
>>
>>3400508
>GB > GBA > DS > GBC > 3DS

This is one of the most special snowflake retard lists I've ever seen.
>>
>>3400517
Iwata-era Nintendo really just wasn't that good. They focused on gimmicks over swell game design, and was the beginning of their gradual transition to being the Apple of the console market: overpriced shit for normies instead of fun toys for both children and adults. With the failure of the Gamecube, Nintendo changed for the worse.
>>
>>3400517
>limited
meaningless word. The NES is "limited", the PS4 is "limited". It's about what you make with it

>Traditionally you wouldn't expect gameboy games to be as deep in the gameplay department as PS1 games
why? Also, why pretend the PS1 has "deeper" gameplay?
>>
>>3399778
lel. get a load of this scrub guys.
>>
>>3400528
I disagree with a lot of that, but whatever.

>>3400529
lol If you don't understand why I described the GBC as limited compared to a PS1 you're either a complete idiot or pretending to be one. Don't really care which.
>>
>>3400535
>compared to a PS1
You didn't
>>
>>3400537
I was comparing a GBC game with the PSX game which it is essentially an alternate version of. Seriously, if you're not just baiting for replies this is embarrassing.
>>
>>3400546
>I was comparing a GBC game with the PSX game
Why? Do you compare apples and oranges? Is that the problem people have with the GBC? Thinking things must be straight ports and hence shit?

>which it is essentially an alternate version of
don't know, don't care. Game looks like MG to me, and it has a standalone story
>>
>>3400551
Apples and oranges are both delicious tree fruit.

>don't know, don't care.
This doesn't surprise me at all. Ghost Babel is essentially an alternate telling of Metal Gear Solid 1. It follows a similar plot, at a similar time frame and with similar characters. It took gameplay elements from the Playstation Metal Gear Solid and mixed with with traditional Metal Gear. The result is a really good game that stands head and shoulders above many other gameboy and gameboy color games of the time.
>>
File: boktai-5.gif (74KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
boktai-5.gif
74KB, 480x320px
It's not quite retro, but worth mentioning. For anyone who really likes Ghost Babel, I highly recommend checking out the Boktai games. In many ways they feel like the spiritual successor to that game, incorporating very similar stealth elements.

They're both very fun and engaging action RPGs with some interesting gameplay elements. The one thing to keep in mind is that although I'm sure they can be emulated, playing them properly where you need to use the sun to your advantage adds an extra something to the whole experience. At least it did for me.
>>
>>3400562
>Ghost Babel is essentially an alternate telling of Metal Gear Solid 1.
It's an alternate sequel to the original Metal Gear that incorporates characters from MG2 (Campbell) and MGS1 (Mei-Ling) with a few parallels elsewhere. I'm not really disagreeing with you, but I think it's more accurate to call Ghost Babel an alternate Metal Gear 2 that happens to borrow a bit from Metal Gear Solid.
>>
File: 1458332134085.jpg (14KB, 388x500px) Image search: [Google]
1458332134085.jpg
14KB, 388x500px
>>3400474
>>
>>3399726
is that suppose to be shit on the walls? rip snake
>>
>>3400508
>GBC was the worst Gameboy
It's better than the original GB because it can play GB games in color, and its not a massive fuckin brick that you need clown pants to carry it in your pockets.
GBC > GB Pocket > GB > GBA > DS > 3DS
>>
>>3400902
>talking about hardware when that anon was obviously referring to each system's exclusive library

Ya done goofed now, anon
>>
>>3400906
>exclusive library
The gbc plays every gb game so it has the biggest library out of any of those systems..
>>
>>3400532
I know, right? What a fag
>>
File: gba_slot_slide_lg.jpg (10KB, 425x231px) Image search: [Google]
gba_slot_slide_lg.jpg
10KB, 425x231px
>>3400914
You can pay GB and GBC on a GBA.

And with this model of DS you can play everything.
>>
>>3400953
the ds was only backwards compatible with gba games
>>
Backwards-compatfags sure are dumb. If games were developed for Gameboy, that means they are Gameboy games, not Gameboy Colour games.
>>
>>3399735
>I've never played vr missions
I recall finding the vr missions fun as well.
>>
>>3400953
No, you cannot.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.