[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sonic 3 Complete

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3

File: s3clogo.png (194KB, 330x509px) Image search: [Google]
s3clogo.png
194KB, 330x509px
Some folks on /v/ were saying Sonic 3 Complete was the best version of Sonic 3, so what's up with the comments on the bottom?

>What people are saying about Sonic 3 Complete!
>“I found Sonic 3 Complete to be boring to play… I am sure that if everyone's version of Sonic 3 definitive is basically Sonic 3 Complete, I will blow my f***ing brains out.” – MarkeyJester
>“Some changes sound pretty useless” – TotalAnarchy
>“f*** epic AND WHAT HAPPEND TO THE F***ING SCORE?! AND F***ING NO SUPER SONIC MEGA NO SUPER SONIC!!! NOT COMPLETE” – UberTheHedgehog
>“This hack sucks” – KesterStudios

I just want the most glitch free and polished version of Sonic 3 & Knuckles.
>>
The hack's creator is being a smartass by using those as the quotes. It's great, just go for it
>>
S3C is the best version of the game though. No idea what the fuck those comments are on about, you can change that shit in the options, and seriously
>some changes sound pretty useless?
fuck that nigga, more options are fine. Who cares if someone else added in more shit to your game what the fuck are you whining about.

I was actually just playing this today. Haven't played in years, got super in Hydro City and forgot it gets taken off you when you start mushroom hill.

Fun as fuck fan thing though.
>>
What's that one sonic hack that adds a boatload of playable characters?
>>
>>3399281
really? Idk...I don't really get irony.
>>3399284
http://www.s3complete.org/ this is where the quotes are from.
>>
Sonic 3 is a fucking borefest
>>
>>3399331
well now I feel like a tit.
>>
Wow, let's take a look at some of these changes...

> The primary inspiration for the project's creation was the idea that Sonic 3's presentation got a lot of things right that Sonic & Knuckles changed for the worse. As such, the default setup for Sonic 3 Complete restores Sonic 3's audio and visual style for the whole game, including, amongst other things, the original main game themes, Knuckles' iconic Jacksonesque drumbeat and associated miniboss theme

SOLD! I thought I was the only one who preferred Sonic 3's take on those songs.
>>
>>3399378
does Sonic 3 & Knuckles change the themes when you get to Mushroom Hill, or does it change the themes in Sonic 3 too?
>>
>>3399396
Themes change in Sonic 3 half too.
>>
As a Sonic 3&K aficionado, I really enjoy it. I actually seem to be in the minority preferring the S&K minor themes (invincibility, etc.), but it's nice to have the option to tweak everything to however the hell you want it.

Moving Flying Battery around is a nice way to get a new, novel experience out of the game, and the extra boss in Launch Base is cool. Another welcome feature is being able to keep the zone music when you go super (the invincibility music really grates after a while) and also being able to switch yourself out of super.
>>
>>3399390
unless you post something indicating that no I guess not

don't see why it matters anyway
>>
>>3399273
>>3399281
>>3399331
>>3399356
Those are all "quotes" from prominent Sonic romhackers of the Sonic Retro scene, they even helped with the mod. It's a joke. Why would they put actual shitposting on their site? How much of a sheep do you need to be to 1. believe it, and 2. care enough to deter you from tryibg it for yourself?
>>
There's a couple of problems I have with this hack despite how great it is

You can't play the S&K Miniboss theme for the S&K zones while playing the S3 Miniboss theme for the S3 Zones
You also can't play the Invincibility theme the same way
Doesn't let you lay Knuckles S3 theme for the whole game and only have the S&K version play at the beginning of Mushroom Hill
You also can't opt for a "Sonic 3 and Knuckles" title screen
Mushroom Hill is called "Mushroom Valley" because the hacker is autistic and obsessed with the Sonic 3 beta
You don't have the option to choose from the protototype title cards to the final ones(it's always the prototype ones)

This hack doesn't have good enough customization, it leans far too heavy on either side and doesn't let people reach a good compromise

Now I'm aware you could edit the rom to your liking by hacking it but not many people know how to do that and I'm one of them
>>
>>3399960
>Mushroom Hill is called "Mushroom Valley" because the hacker is autistic and obsessed with the Sonic 3 beta
That was reverted in a patch.
>>
The 'original stage order' option is fucking cool as shit, it adds a sweet transition from Launch Base to Ice Cap where Sonic uses the plane door as a snowboard among other things. Playing the game start to finish feels like a much more cohesive experience.
>>
>>3399390
Back when there were talks about a S3&K on Taxman's engine, they were talking about using Sonic 3 Complete's enhancements. So if it did exist the hatchet is buried.
>>
>>3400027
Probably my favorite change. Some people do have a big problem with it though despite it being optional. I personally can't play it any other way, makes sense for Sonic to use the door as a snowboard.
>>
>>3399273
I just amused myself by finding the most negative feedback I could and posting it as a reviews section. Spamusement did it years ago and I remembered finding it funny, so I did the same thing. They're all legitimate comments although the link to MJ's seems to be broken now. We do mostly get positive comments if that helps!

>>3399960
Doesn't this pretty much amount to "doesn't let you boot up vanilla S3&K without any changes"? :)

(Just tooling around, I really am interested to read feedback.)

For what it's worth, points 1-2 should be covered by Music Options - Theme Control/Event Control - Pick by Zone. Event Control by Zone would also give you Knuckles' theme from Mushroom Hill onwards rather than for that particular event, which would seem an oddly specific choice - it's one of those options I'd add and only one person would ever use it.

Mushroom Valley is patchable as stated and will become a menu option eventually. And I don't really know what you mean about the title cards - they are the final ones without the S3&K name loaded over the top, since we never use that name. Unless you mean the new act icons, which are also patchable to their original form.

There'll never be an option to return the "Sonic 3 & Knuckles" name though, sorry - one of the core goals from day one was to lose that completely. You'd have to be pretty highly skilled to edit it back in without the source at this point, as I'm pretty sure we don't carry most of the "& Knuckles" patchover graphics any more.

While I'm here, thanks for the comments and feedback in this thread, and from many anonymous /vr and /v users over time. I usually end up casting an eye over it sooner or later and it does influence things, and if we ever get another release out of the door, you may even see some of the fruits of that!

(P.S. not an actual autist, for the record, but I will cop to spending too many of my formative years playing this game.)
>>
>>3399390
Not at all - I love their remasters and I'm excited about Mania. It would've been nice if they could've done S3&K, and even nicer if we could have been involved, although they may not have been given free reign to do (or necessarily even want to do) exactly the same things we did. I think CD, 1 and 2 proved they have a pretty good handle on things by themselves!
>>
>>3400383
>Doesn't this pretty much amount to "doesn't let you boot up vanilla S3&K without any changes"? :)
Jesus Christ no
In the version I have 130810(the latest one) you can either pick the Sonic 3 Miniboss theme or the S&K miniboss one

What I want is to have the MJ theme for the first 6 zones and have the S&K theme for the rest of them from Mushroom Hill to Death Egg(something which was not possible in the official Sonic 3 and Knuckles)

Same goes for the invincibility theme I'd like to have the Sonic 3 invincibility play for the 1st 6 zones and the S&K version play in the rest of the zones(it would also add a bit of variety to the game imo)

>Choose by zone
I seem to have that option but it somehow doesn't seem to work
Like I can put Theme Control/Event Control in "Pick by Zone" mode but it doesn't seem to do anything or am I doing something wrong? Or is there some kind of code to getting to some hidden menu or something?

All I want is for an option to reach a middle ground
All I want is to somehow have every theme(or as many as possible) composed for Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles in the game one way or another because this is one of the greatest video game soundtracks of all time and needs to be heard in it's complete glory and not just half-in-half

>Act icons
That's what I meant

>No option for Sonic 3 and Knuckles title
Well that kind of sucks because I like that weird name for the game better...it gives the game more character to me

Don't get offended by the "autist" remark too much...this is 4chan we throw out words like they're nothing
Heck if anything I'm an even bigger mega-autist than you because I'm a nitpicky fuck :P....lord help me if Sega ever allows Taxman/Stealth to make a Sonic 3K remaster I'm going to go insane lmao
>>
>>3400383
I can kinda see what he means. It would be nice to have an option for Sonic 3 music to play during Sonic 3 part, and for Sonic & Knuckles music to play during the Sonic & Knuckles part. That's how I'd do it for the Knuckles theme and miniboss theme, Sonic & Knuckles just completely overwrites the Sonic 3 versions.

Invincibility theme Sonic & Knuckles from the way, though. Love that option.
>>
>>3400743
No hidden menus, pick by zone should just do it. I just tested it on my copy of 130810 and it seemed to work OK for me, but there's a chance some options/patches are conflicting. (That's one reason we don't add even more - it's already impossible to test all the combinations!) Any chance you could send me your ROM and SRAM, and some steps to reproduce getting the wrong music? Even a video if you feel so inclined. Mail address is on s3complete.org. If there's a code issue that should help get it resolved for a future release.

The customiser has a patch for the act icons too FWIW ("Use the original palm tree icon on all act numbers, instead of per-zone imagery") - again I think that'll probably be a menu option eventually. They're not really prototypes though, they're custom drawn for 3C. SCH has a matching set for the S1-2 zones, which is kind of cute.
>>
>>3400862
So if you pick "Pick by Zone" it should automatically play the S&K music for Mushroom Hill-onwards is this correct?

In that case what does "Pick by Game" do?

This is a bit confusing, I think if you do another release in the future you should have some sort of subtitles explaining what each option does because some of these options are confusing

Speaking of SRAM
I'm using Kega Fusion 3.64 and if I reset the game it saves my progress, but if I power it off I seem to lose all of my progress. Is this normal behaviour? Because I don't remember this happening to me with old standard 3&k roms
>>
>>3400862
>>3400870
Nvrmind about the saving problem, I fixed it
Just had to create a "saves" folder because apparently Fusion 3.64 didn't have one
>>
sonic 3 and knuckles isn't worth playing when Sonic 2 exists. Sonic 2 is the pinnacle of Sonic and the only Sonic game you should play.
>>
>>3400862
On the patch notes it said you went from a completed Super Sonic sprite back to the original incomplete one. What's up with that?
>>
>>3400862
>>3400870
>>3400907
Ok so I just tested it via the level select and it does work
And I'm guessing the same goes for invincibility/1-up right?(I didn't have the time to find an invincibility box so I couldn't test it out but if so most of my problems have been alleviated :3)

The S&K Knuckles theme only playing at the beginning of Mushroom Hill is still something to think about for a potential future release though

And like I said before it'd be nice if there were some subtitles showing what each option does because I had this option all this time and I never knew about it until now
>>
>>3400910
Fuck off oldfag, Sonic 2 is the weakest
3K>1>2>CD
>>
>>3400954
Ok so I further customized this version to have the original act icons and the original Ice Cap color scheme and I also confirmed that the S&K 1-up/Invincibility jingles do indeed play too
Also patched it to have the more detailed continue/life menu thingy from 3&K

This is literally perfect for me now except for lack of 3&K Title Screen and the option to have S&K's Knuckles theme play only at the beginning of Mushroom Hill
>>
>>3400958
>Sonic 2 is the weakest
>proceeds to list sonic cd as the weakest
Sonic 1 is the weakest. Not that I blame it, it's still a great game, its sequels just made a lot of great refinements to its design and came up with really nifty ideas.
>>
>>3401097
>Sonic 1 is the weakest.
Yeah no
Sonic 1 is far more polished and far better desigend than 2 and especially CD(which had the worst level design by far)
>>
>>3401112
*designed
>>
>>3401112
I disagree with you.
>>
>>3401112
yeah no 2 is far better than one you gimp
>>
>>3401119
>>3401121
Well you're wrong spindashbabbies
So there
>>
>>3399960
>You can't play the S&K Miniboss theme for the S&K zones while playing the S3 Miniboss theme for the S3 Zones
You can. Are you playing an old version?
>You also can't play the Invincibility theme the same way
You can! I do! Seriously m8, you even trying?

>captcha: toms zone
Sounds like a shit level.
>>
>>3400870
>>3400954
"Theme" options controls it for invincibility, 1ups etc. (things based on the main theme). "Event" does it for stuff like Knuckles, minibosses. "Pick by Game" only changes it based on picking one of the sub-games in the menu (part one or S&K) with 3C following the other menu options, whereas "by zone" affects 3C too depending on how far through the game you are, as you've seen. "By character" gives Knuckles the S&K themes and Sonic/Tails the S3 ones.

I appreciate it's not clear from the menus - we have to accommodate a lot of complicated ideas in a few letters! I have some ideas about simplifying that and there may also be an online options reference in the future.

>>3400929
That's probably a matter of unclear patch notes. We have a pretty much fully sprited out Super Sonic for the S3 sprites, with an original sprites option for sticklers (which won't be there next version because it's a pain to maintain and nobody uses it). S1/2 sprite sets don't have fancy super sprites because nobody's drawn them.
>>
>>3399390
This is some serious shit-stirring.
>>
>>3399273
that's just Sonic 3 & Knuckles with the music changes reverted to Sonic 3 music anon
>>
>>3401461
>toms zone
>a straight, unyeilding run to a small customer service location owned by your cable company
>the zone boss is a 5 minute discussion about why your cable bill is so high this month despite not deviating from the base plan

7/10 level, I'd say.
>>
>>3401801
If I finished a more S3 styled S1/2 Sonic sprite, would you put it in the game?
Eh probably not, purists would hate it.
>>
>>3401936
That's an edit of someone else's sprite, by the way. They ask for credit, but not permission.
>>
>>3401936
It looks good, but we probably wouldn't do something like that in S3C. Filling in blanks in the existing style and replicating the other official games are one thing, but we probably wouldn't take on a full custom set - not least because options are hard to maintain.
>>
File: Sonic_Classic_Heroes.png (41KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic_Classic_Heroes.png
41KB, 640x480px
Too bad Classic Heroes doesn't have S3&K levels, but it's still a lot of fun.
>>
I prefer Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles split in 2.

It's too long together.
>>
It'd be nice if there were some picture comparisons for some of the customizer options on the website.
>>
>>3403292
It has a save feature. You can take a break after any act.
>>
>>3403253
That hack is a novelty with 2 other players. Clunky and unnecessary on your own.
>>
>>3401801
>nobody uses it
Well fuck you too, m8! I'm gonna take all the features you like out of the thing I'm making! (I'm not making shit, though.)
>>
>>3399273
The comments are jokes, get a sense of humour.

Sonic 3 Complete is the best version of the game right now.
>>
>>3400383
oh hi tiddles
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.