[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Clones Vs. Emulators

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

File: retron-3-screenshot-8-625x440.jpg (85KB, 625x440px) Image search: [Google]
retron-3-screenshot-8-625x440.jpg
85KB, 625x440px
I was wondering what the best all-in-one option is for playing nes, snes and genesis. My options are a retro 3 style system with flash carts or using a Wii and loading it with emulators. Which setup would play these games the best?
>>
File: 2n207f7[1].jpg (15KB, 550x329px) Image search: [Google]
2n207f7[1].jpg
15KB, 550x329px
>>3398601
A Wii for sure. A clone is a clone, its firecore will always have shit sound. With a modded Wii you have regular updates to the emulation, you get way more systems, you get the ability to play the whole library not just the games from your collection you get the capacity to do progressive scan output easily if you want to use a progressive scan display. Literally the only thing a clone like that has going for it is the plug-and-play simplicity. Even the controllers can easily be used on a Wii with an inexpensive adapter plus many more like keyboards to play retro computer games which is something I discovered is great to do on Wii.
>>
Wii sucks for emulation, shouldn't be surprising giving that it was underpowered when it came out. You want the extra power only a x86 computer can offer.
>>
>>3398601
Clones.

Emulators are all flawed.
>>
But aren't clones flawed too?
>>
>>3398606
Thanks for the advice
>>
>>3398737
Depends on it they got the right hardware inside. But nothing is as good as the real hardware or early clones pre patents expirations like the Dendy.

Emulation has input errors, sound issues, can't do certain games due to a chip issue, etc.

Another problem is those old emulators will be unusable over time, it's expected years from now incompatible with the new software from future computers.

Nesticle is shit, Zsnes isn't even the best emulator for snes.
>>
Why is Dendy and the like so much better than a NOAC
>>
File: zDIDJIv.png (42KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
zDIDJIv.png
42KB, 400x300px
>>3398601
>Emulator vs emulator
>>
File: 1447526722925.gif (2MB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
1447526722925.gif
2MB, 200x150px
>>3398606
where the hell do I find said updates?
>>
>>3398749
>Depends on it they got the right hardware inside
The problem with hardware clones is they've always been made to be cheap rather than good. They have compatibility issues and bad sound.
The upcoming RetroUSB AVS ($190) may be the first exception to that, but it's NES/Famicom only so doesn't meet OP's three-in-one goal.
>>
>>3398818
Wiibrew. They're not as current as for PC versions of course but it's hard to beat a Wii on performance for price if you want 240p output. If you're going to only be emulating on HDTVs you might just scan your Craigslist for inexpensive PCs.
>>
>>3398601
Emulator. Clones are garbage.
>>
File: pegasus.jpg (195KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
pegasus.jpg
195KB, 1600x1200px
>>3398807
Dendy(i think ) and Pegasus(pic related) have separate chips like a real Fami/NES
>>
>>3398749
for NES, Snes and Genesis emulator problems are nonexistant unless you're running old garbage emulators

e.g. who the hell is still running ZSNES in 2016
>>
File: 1117155455886.png (657KB, 700x784px) Image search: [Google]
1117155455886.png
657KB, 700x784px
>>3399820
Is there a better option? I run zsnes 1.51 and it plays/sounds just fine.
>>
>>3399849
>Zsnes plays fine for me!

Nice meme
>>
>>3399820
No emulators are close to the real thing. No matter what people think.
>>
>>3399785
Yeah, current day clones don't my have the same hardware.

I'm also not sure if all the patents expired too or if certain pieces can be made anymore.
>>
>>3400270
>citation needed
>>
>>3400585
The real thing doesn't have fast forwarding or configurable controllers.
>>
>>3400665
>what's an overclock mod?
>what's a controller remapping box?
And just because those features are there(disregarding that they can be recreated with the physical hardware) doesn't mean that they're used or need to be used.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.