[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Revenge vs Return

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 11

File: shinobi.jpg (178KB, 861x538px) Image search: [Google]
shinobi.jpg
178KB, 861x538px
Alright let's settle this once and for all:

http://www.strawpoll.me/10887819
>>
>>3398354
>http://www.strawpoll.me/10887819
Shinobi III isn't just the superior of the two, it's quite possibly the best game of its genre on the Mega Drive.
>>
>>3398379
No, Revenge has better level design as well as difficulty. III is a very good game but it doesn't feel as much as a Shinobi game imo since you can move so fast.
>>
>>3398408
>No, Revenge has better level design as well as difficulty.
I disagree.
>III is a very good game but it doesn't feel as much as a Shinobi game imo since you can move so fast.
You can move so fast because the controls were vastly improved. Therefore it's better.
>>
>>3398379
Have you tried the 6-button control scheme yet? Even tho I've owned 3 since childhood I didn't find out about it until a couple years back. Makes the game stupid easy but it's so much fun especially after playing the normal way all these years.

>>3398408
Disagree on the level design but yeah Revenge for better or worse is way more difficult. Return doesn't start getting hard until the canyon level which is near the tail end of the game and even then its easier than Revenge.
>>
>>3398425
>Have you tried the 6-button control scheme yet?
I didn't even know that was possible, I had to look it up. Will have to try it but honestly it's not necessary.
>>
>>3398434
>will have to try it
Do it. You will have a hard time going back to playing it the old way.
>>
>>3398443
I doubt it, I'm used to playing it with 0 shuriken. I've gone out of my way to use a cheat code that prevents you from ever picking up shuriken. And you can almost instantly block by holding down on the d-pad and canceling a jump with the dive kick and hold the button from that.
>>
>>3398434
Yes have some!
>>
Revenge has tighter gameplay, better level design, and more awesome music.

III only beats it in graphics.
>>
Could someone say that III is to Shinobi what IV is to Castlevania?
Or am I just opening a can of worms?
>>
>>3398678
Yes. Except SCV is a boring as fuck game for about 90% of the playthrough, while Shinobi III is fun as hell throughout.
>>
>>3398678
I can see the similarities but Shinobi fans seem to be much more civil about it. Haven't met one hardcore Revenge fan that didn't still like 3. It just wasn't as good for them.
>>
The platforming controls in III had potential, but the level design isn't that good. Revenge plays more traditionally but it's simply a more focused and challenging action game. Some of the filler levels in 3 like the horse or surf stages are just style over substance.
>>
>>3398678

I never understood what was supposed to be bad about Castlevania IV besides memes, but I can see a similarity between the fandoms. "hurr harder = better", and not willing to admit that sometimes what people consider "hard" just means that you need to memorize the game.

RoS is easy as fuck once you memorize the (awfully short) levels.
>>
>>3398754
Harder is always better, unless it's artificial difficulty. Challenge is fun.
>>
>>3398758
Which is why the Sonic games on Genesis are objectively inferior to literally every Mario title found on the SNES. Bar Mario Kart.
>>
>>3398678
Not quite since Revenge was really different from 1 and Shadow Dancer too, and so were the Game Gear games from anything else. Shinobi shines at reinventing itself while maintaining its identity.
>>
>>3398758

Nah, overall design is what matters the most. Yes, challenge must be there, but ultimately once you master a single-player game, the challenge is gone unless you go for speedrunning.
It's why Rondo of Blood is one of the most favorited Castlevanias, and not Haunted Castle which is the actual hardest.

The main thing with RoS is that most enemies will start throwing shit at you even before they even appear on screen. It's important to listen to the sounds, but more important to just memorize where every enemy is. RoS is the typical trial and error game, but it's a fun one. Once you remember the levels layout (something that doesn't take too much time), the game is a walk in the park.
>>
>>3398780
>but ultimately once you master a single-player game, the challenge is gone unless you go for speedrunning.
There are a lot more ways to make a game more challenging than memerunning, in the case of Shinobi you can go for no shurikens, 1 life, hardest settings nd the such. A challenging and fun game in the default settings is always the best though.
>>
>>3398819

Help me remember, wasn't hard mode in RoS just meant that you got less lives? I remember going through the game on hard and it being the same.
1 life is doable if you know the game well enough, but you need really good memorization of everything.

No shuriken is retarded, I tried it and it wasn't fun or challenging, just slow.
>>
File: ps_spec7-001.jpg (70KB, 480x692px) Image search: [Google]
ps_spec7-001.jpg
70KB, 480x692px
>>3398408
>III is a very good game but it doesn't feel as much as a Shinobi game imo since you can move so fast.
Neither are anything like the original Shinobi games on the arcade.
>>
>>3398354
I'm a pretty big Shinobi fag.
>>
>>3398828
More damage too.
No shurikens is pretty doable and fun in most classic Shinobi game, except for maybe RoS because your melee options are limited
>>
>>3398828
Isn't your health bar lowered in higher difficulties?
>>
-A NEW CHALLENGER APPROACHES-
>>
>>3398379
/Thread

It's not even a contest
>>
>>3398758
>Harder is always better, unless it's artificial difficulty
The worst single sentence I've ever read
>>
File: giphy.gif (489KB, 420x315px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
489KB, 420x315px
>>3399016
>not a contest
Just checked poll
>it's tied
Mfw
>>
Revenge because based Koshiro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-Z3uVXV2EQ
>>
Cyber shinobi a best
>>
>>3399041
>yfw I've been voting whenever one game takes a lead to keep it a tie
Some men just like to watch the world burn
>>
>>3398836
Is this worth playing? I remember plaything this once but not thinking much of it.
>>
File: shinobi3.png (176KB, 502x187px) Image search: [Google]
shinobi3.png
176KB, 502x187px
Shinobi 3 is the pinnacle of the series.
>>
>>3399046
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98qL68gpS7Q
>>
Revenge is only hard because of the awful double jump and its ludicrous precision required
>>
>>3398418
They were changed, but I wouldn't say they were improved. They work well for the general design of Shinobi III itself, though.
>>3398354
They're tied for me. I like both for similar but distinct reasons.
>>
>>3399831
That is 100% lies and falsehoods
>>
>>3399831
>because of the awful double jump and its ludicrous precision required
Press jump again at the peak of your jump. How is this a ludicrous timed input.
>>
>>3398354
Huge shinobi fan. They are both CRAP. Play the original system16 shinobi or shadow dancer.
>>
>>3399892

Compare the double jump in Revenge to the one in 3.

The timing is far far more strict
>>
>>3399831
Focus on the sound effect to time it.
>>
>>3400905
>Huge shinobi fan.
>They are both CRAP
some fucking people
>>
>>3399831
I agree that the jump makes it hard, but only because of how slow it takes. Air is dangerous because of how slow the fucker goes up and down. The lack of fast movement just makes it boring.
>>
Both are incredible games but for me Revenge has the advantage only because of that Yuzo Koshiro soundtrack. Shadow Dancer never receives enough love here but that also, well the majority of Shinobi games are quality Sega titles.
>>
File: Shinobi_sales_flyer.png (39KB, 222x315px) Image search: [Google]
Shinobi_sales_flyer.png
39KB, 222x315px
>>3401374
I just played them both again, super shinobi I & II, just to rekindle my hate for these two glorified turds.

SS I suffers from slow, sluggish controls. Whats up with the floaty jump? The level design sucks, the backgrounds are bland, the music is fucking annoying. The sound effects are lame. Everything that made the original system 16 shinobi stand out... its not present here. SSII seems to be a little better in some departments but the annoying noodling, elevator music turns me off quick. None of these games feel like a shinobi game. Where the fuck are the hostages or the bonus levels? Where is the tight gameplay? Unpopular opinion? Dont fucking care.
>>
>>3402012
>Dont fucking care.
Haha me too

It is sad that the original gets overlooked however
>>
>>3402131
>It is sad that the original gets overlooked however
It doesn't though.

Also funny how that sperg says he's a huge Shinobi fan and only likes 1 or 2 games
>>
I like revenge of Shinobi. Great Music and levels.
Also, it is the first game I played on MD. I went out and bought a system after playing this game.

Kinda like I bought a ps2 after playing GTA
>>
What's the consensus on Shin Shinobi-den on Saturn?
>>
>>3402330
I haven't played Legions in years but from what I remember:

>Good
-cutting guys in half and hitting ninja stars back at enemies was awesome
-the in between levels live action segments were God tier cheese

>Bad
-bosses were mostly "meh" overall. Only SD had worse IMO
-game looks alright but I would of rather they didn't use digitized sprites

That's all I can think of. Can't remember music quality or anything like that.
>>
Shinobi 3 is too easy for my tastes.
>>
>all these guys disregarding a great game because it's "too easy"
literal faggots
>>
>>3402436

It's all these guys have, take their e-tryhard "hardcore" cred from them and they're left in endless darkness and oblivion.
>>
>>3402436
>>3402470
I'm not going to tell someone that 3 is super hard but it doesn't exactly hand you the game either. It's a fair difficulty overall IMO. Not to mention you can always make the game more difficult. Hard mode, no shurikens, etc.
>>
did you guys know you can farm infinite lives on the plane level of revenge?
>>
>>3402470
Keep telling yourself that to make your shitty ass self feel better, casual scum.
>>
File: Shinobi.png (7KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
Shinobi.png
7KB, 320x224px
If it have a life bar it isn't even a true Shinobi game at all.
>>
File: 20.jpg (20KB, 300x340px) Image search: [Google]
20.jpg
20KB, 300x340px
>>3402675

Struck a nerve eh fatty?
>>
>>3403001
Fat people generally aren't good at anything, including videogames.

Stop projecting already, cunt.
>>
>>3403025

>cunt

I can already tell you have retarded genetics.
>>
File: image.jpg (80KB, 728x716px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80KB, 728x716px
>>3403027
>retarded genetics

Says the mongoloid that needs emulator tricks to beat classic games.
>>
>>3403027
It was the fact that he said cunt? Not how he seems completely unaware that a lot of people who have gotten really good at games have also gotten really gigantically fat?
>>
>>3403034
>have also gotten really gigantically fat
like? all the good fighting game players, strategy players, shmup players, etc. are skinny as twigs
>>
>>3403032

Says the anglotard who grew up with shitty micro computers playing disgusting "ports" of japanese games.
>>
>>3403036
>skinny as pigs
FTFY
>>
File: Daigo.jpg (146KB, 980x574px) Image search: [Google]
Daigo.jpg
146KB, 980x574px
>>3403051
If that's what you choose to believe
>>
>>3403057

Not every pro player is Daigo. Also, most of them are skinnyfats, not skeletons, but not morbidly obese either. One of the best Anakaris players in the FGC is a big guy for me

Also, how did we end up talking about the FGC on a Shinobi thread?
>>
>>3403062
Because Shinobi is boring, and there isn't much to discuss anyways.

Besides, Ninja Gaiden is superior.
>>
>>3403071
>Ninja Gaiden is superior.
No.
>>
>>3403062
>how did we end up talking about the FGC on a Shinobi thread?
It's the default way to ruin a thread.

>>3402993
What if it's a port of the original that has a lifebar? Checkmate.
>>
>>3399046
>>3399629
How's this genre called?
Ninja game electronic 90's music?
>>
>>3403071
>Besides, Ninja Gaiden is superior.
Only 3D, Shinobi on PS2 was fun but is in no way comparable to NG.
>>
>>3403071
SMS Ninja Gaiden > Arcade Shinobis > Super Shinobis > GG Shinobis > Arcade Ninja Gaiden > NES Ninja Gaidens > Shinobi X
>>
>>3405301

Go to bed australier-ken
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.