[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What games do you think are the best suited to introduce new

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

File: dw2gbc_001[1].png (6KB, 320x288px) Image search: [Google]
dw2gbc_001[1].png
6KB, 320x288px
What games do you think are the best suited to introduce new players to retro gaming?
>>
Retro Game Challenge on DS
>>
Wizardry 4 on the Apple II.
>>
A well made classic always hits.
Something like Castlevania,Warioland or the oracles games of LoZ should do the trick.

If they can't dig It,I guess they can't.
>>
File: Donkey_Kong_Jr._(arcade_game).png (2KB, 224x256px) Image search: [Google]
Donkey_Kong_Jr._(arcade_game).png
2KB, 224x256px
Platformers.
>>
File: hop in.gif (43KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
hop in.gif
43KB, 500x500px
>>3398028
Are you asking which classic games have aged well enough for a modern player to enjoy them?

Most 2D Marios should fit the bill.
>>
>>3398086
>making anyone touch Apple shit
>>
Megaman 2
>>
>>3398028
First start with an old game that remains highly playable; masterpiece classics you know?

Once they accept old games can be fucking awesome, you introduce them to games that require more legwork to enjoy.
>>
>>3398028
I think your pic related is actually my first choice. That or N64 Mario games if they didn't grow up with it.
>>
>>3398162
Maybe start with remakes of retro games (stuff like Ocarina 3DS, the Pokemon remakes, Resident Evil, Twin Snakes, FF Origins), then offer the original and then if they liked that, offer something else.

It seems like the biggest barrier is graphics, normies hate old 3D games. SNES/Genesis games are timeless, while NES might be too old for some people.
>>
>>3398028
games with simple mechanics that are easy to grasp like Contra, Castlevania, Excitebike, Ice Climbers, Bomberman, Super Mario
if they can be played in two even better

I'd only introdice them to RPGs from the SNES and onwards because they're more forgiving, but if I had to chose some NES ones I'd pick Radia Senki, Madara and Crystalis
>>
>>3398164
>N64 Mario games
So good. But I only remember one?
>>
>>3398028
Shovel Knight. If they like it, recommend them the retro games that inspired it like Ducktales and Castlevania.
>>
>>3398285
Party, Kart, so on.
>>
>>3398028
Bionic Commando
River City Ransom
>>
Lufia and the Fortress of Doom
Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest
Illusion of Gaia
Secret of Evermore
Secret of Mana

Those are the games that pulled me into the wonderful world of RPGs (Especially Lufia).
>>
File: 1426884938032.jpg (618KB, 738x731px) Image search: [Google]
1426884938032.jpg
618KB, 738x731px
There's a lot of choices for beginners, but if I had to give a list with variety, I would pick some tame but good games like:

-Super Mario All-Stars+Super Mario World (Plataformer)
-Streets of Rage 2 (Beat 'em up)
-Arcade Street Fighter II (Fighting)
-Super Mario RPG (RPG)
-Arcade Cruis'n USA (Race)
-Silent Hill (Survival Horror)
-Genesis California Games (Sports)
-Arcade Parodius (Shmup)
-Tetris Attack (Puzzle)
-The Neverhood (Adventure)

I think they are pretty nice and enjoyable for newcomers. Nothing very hard or too archaic.
>>
>>3398028
Probably best to find out what kind of games they are into from modern gaming scene and then look for a /vr/ equivalent.
>>
>>3398903
Why is Yoshi so pissed?
>>
>>3398028
>introduce new players to retro gaming
You had to be introduced before 1999 at the very latest. You're flogging a dead horse to anyone who missed the boat. Sad but true.
>>
>>3398028
Kid Chameleon
>>
Honestly, Sonic on Megadrive.

It has the instant reward and gratification from the exhilaration of speed and the player has the safety net of the coins to prevent instant death.
>>
>>3398982
>Coins = Rings

Blaming the beer.
>>
File: 1388880823740.jpg (845KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1388880823740.jpg
845KB, 1200x1200px
>>3398086
welp, time to post this
>>
>>3399035
Getting this for a birthday as a kid must've sucked
>>
>>3398956
I love this game, but why?
>>
>>3398982
I think classic Sonic is great for young kids because:
1. No run button. Holy shit, watching kids walk through Mario levels is painful. No matter how much you explain it, two buttons are too much.
2. Every button does the same thing.
3. You can kill most enemies from any angle, not just on top. The ones you can't have obvious spikes on them.
4. Like you said, rings are easy to keep.
>>
>>3398028
Mario, Kirby and Pokémon
>>
>>3398578
Lufia II is much better.
>>
>>3398028
>Dragon Quest II
>suited to new players

Am I missing a joke or am I just shit at video games? Dragon Quest II remains the most infuriatingly difficult game I've ever beaten in my life. Is the GBC version easier, or something?
>>
>>3398117
The Wario Land games are great for newbies because most of the time you literally can't die. Mitigates the "I'm frustrated so this sucks!" factor.
>>
>>3398130
My gf literally cannot into Mario. She plays modern games all the time, but can barely get through the first level of most Mario sidescrollers. I really don't understand it. They're some of the easiest platformers in existence. Really the only easier ones from Nintendo are the Kirby games.
>>
>>3400338
i'll never give my gf kirby if it's the last fucking thing i'll do
>>
>>3400338
It's the same with my wife. She decided to try and platinum Final Fantasy XIII but she literally can't sit through five minutes of NES, SNES or even PS1 Final Fantasy games.

It secretly bothers me more than it should. Oh well.
>>
>>3398028
Super Mario Bros
Tetris
>>
>>3398028
>platformers
super Mario 3 or super Mario world
sonic 1-3
Aladdin (genesis)
super castlevania 4
super metriod

>beatemups
streets of rage 2
sunset riders
tmnt 4 turtles in time

>rpg
final fantasy 3 snes
dragon warrior 4 nes
phantasy star 4 genesis
earthbound snes
chrono trigger snes
lunar silver star sega cd
>>
>>3400338

The same happens to a buddy of mine. He can't into platformers in general. He can't grasp, or doesn't have the patience, to learn the simple physics (like running and jumping and calculating where to land, etc). He dies a couple times, gets frustrated and doesn't want to try anymore.
>>
>>3400565
>Aladdin (genesis)

if you're gonna pick a Dave Perry game, let it be Earthworm Jim.
>>
>>3399035
And the 6,7 and 8? I see then in steam.
>>
>>3399285
Even when I was young kid, if there were any girls in our group, they would want to play sonic.

Sonic did as much for girls playing games as Nintendogs or Candy Crush did.
>>
>>3400603
>>3400338
This is pretty much my experience with platformers. Mario has never seemed hard, and I did play the first two quite a bit when I was younger. But there's almost no other kind of game I find more boring. Trying to play Sonic or Mario these days feels like getting my teeth pulled, I just want to do literally anything else.
>>
>>3401142
Still kind of dickish.
You get stuck with your starting party which can fuck you over as a lot of stuff isn't obvious.
7 has some bullshit puzzles that require items from across the world to be used at almost random spots and has (invisible) wandering NPC that extort money whenever you meet them (which can happen several times in a row).
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.