[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

KING'S FIELD

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 11

File: KF1_Shot_010.jpg (22KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
KF1_Shot_010.jpg
22KB, 320x240px
Is /vr/ capable of having a King's Field thread? Favorite game/level?
I really quite like the look of the PSX games. It reminds me of old CGI clips, and it's incredibly atmospheric to actually play, for some reason.
>>
How do people refer to the games usually, seeing as they went full square and had 2 become 1 and 3 become 2?
I've only played the (japanese) second, and at first I found it bothersomely slow, and at times I still do, but having that full open world is amazing to walk around through, it really is an adventure, and not being able to whiz through it gives it a feeling of proper mass, so in the end I love the fact it's so slow.
People may disagree but I think putting a water hazard pitfall right at the start was a genious move too; obviously they want to include pitfalls in the game, and teaching that when dying is of the least consequence is brutal, but absolutely justified.
I could talk about this shit so much, but I'm worried that noone really cares for it, probably being turned off from the two points I just mentioned, probably more. Truly a game you can enjoy immensly, but is lost in the modern market.
>>
I've played 1-4 but I haven't beaten any of them.
At least I don't remember getting stuck or having any real issues.
>>
Probably one of my favorite /vr/ related series. Semi related, has anyone on here tried Echo Night? Spooky mystery Kings Field seems right up my alley.
>>
File: kf_stats.png (293KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
kf_stats.png
293KB, 1280x960px
I played through King's Field 1(JP) a while ago and i remember that i used some kind of strange magic sword power to kill the boss. Today i started another playthrough and made it to the boss around level 19. He was too strong so i leveled up to 20 to get the Swordmaster class. I fixed the Moonlight Sword and collected the Dragon Seal items but somehow i can not use the magic power of the Moonlight Sword. When i equip the Colichemarde i can cast multiple lightning needles without a problem but the technique wont work on any other weapon. Are my stats to low or did i miss something important? The magic/class system is really confusing, i am level 22 right now and i fought the boss again, midfight i learned a new spell called fire wall. Do i just need to increase my MAG to learn new spells?
>>
>>3397915
>Is /vr/ capable of having a King's Field thread?
Yes.

Is it capable of having a KF thread in a reasonable span of time for a discussion?
No.

...like wading through mud with molasses-
>>
File: kf_end.png (72KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
kf_end.png
72KB, 1280x960px
>>3398187
I learned Fire Wall by increasing my MAG stat and spammed it on the last boss until he was dead. Afterwards i discoverd a new spell called Lightning Bolt, so i guess you have to increase your MAG to learn new spells. Still i was not able to use the Moonlight Swords magic, not sure what was missing but im done for now.
>>
>>3398230

-boots.
>>
It is interesting to look at these games now and see how much influence they had over the development of the Dark Souls series. It would have been nice if Souls had a first person view.
>>
File: kf_crestfallen.png (494KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
kf_crestfallen.png
494KB, 1280x960px
>>3398262
This guy is KF1's crestfallen warrior

A few other similarities:
>centers around exploration and discovery
>lore about different lands and kingdoms
>npcs have a goal/reason
>reoccurring items and family names
>>
>>3398301
Not sure how true or if I'm even remembering correctly but an anon in another thread said that the end of one of the games (shadow tower?) involving one of the kings possibly bringing on the curse of the undead.
>>
>>3398149
Haven't yet, but I've just completed Shadow Tower: Abyss. It's very good- the world is comprised mostly of disconnected levels, but the individual level design is very good. The mechanics are weird but interesting- you have to use many weapons and armor pieces since their durability is very low and the cost to repair them can be high, and this is balanced by your character having a maximum carry weight(for items in your inventory, not just the equipment you have on, as in dark souls). It's also the first From game to have the modern version of the stamina bar, where each attack takes off a certain amount of stamina rather than the whole bar.
It's also got guns and shit, and a fan-favorite Souls character who debuted in this game.
The game was localized recently, and if you like KF it's very much worth playing.

>>3398262
There's a lot to be said about the parallels between both series. The similarity of the evolution between KF2 to KF3 and between DaS1 to DaS2 is striking- the first game(KF2, DaS1) is a tangled web of interconnected levels that lets you choose your own path, while the second game is much more expansive, but designed as several distinct, linear series of levels that end with you finding one of the four guys you need to unlock a path(Great Souls in the case of DaS2, elemental sages in the case of KF3).
I prefer DaS1 to DaS2, but KF3 to KF3. Funny how that works out.
>>
>>3398680
*but KF3 to KF2
>>
File: shadow-tower-abyss.jpg (275KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
shadow-tower-abyss.jpg
275KB, 1024x768px
Rurufon is my waifu
>>
>>3397915
Souls >>>>>>>>>>> King's Field

fuck off with this outdated crap shit
>>
>>3398757
Souls is casualised garbage. Fuck off back to /v/ with your shit bait.
>>
>>3398735
I killed you're waifu for that kickass armband.

>>3398757
Why not discuss both? Both have their merits. Please be civil anon, this is a christian board.
>>
>>3398785
>Why not discuss both?
Because one is not retro.
>>
>>3398789
Each in its own board, I mean
>>
>>3398765
As someone who actually played King's Field II and III back in their day (the first one wasn't localized fyi), nobody really cared about this series until Dark Souls became a thing.
>>
>>3398835
I've seen plenty of discussion of The Ancient City circa 2008 in forums like TTLG. That's why I first played it.
>>
>>3398301
Sorry man, but Minecraft is not retro.
>>
File: kf.jpg (549KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
kf.jpg
549KB, 1920x1080px
I finished the first (JP) two weeks ago, I really enjoyed it until I got to level 5.

Up to level 5, the game has a pretty slow pace and focuses more on exploration, the enemies are tough but you take them down eventually if you're careful enough.
When you get to level 5 it becomes a sword magic spamfest with pauses to heal up every 30 seconds. The enemies in level 5 respawn not only are though as fuck and deal a lot of ranged damage (some even have a very powerful ranged AoE attack that WILL hit you), they also respawn as soon as you look away even when you're in the same room as them.
Level 5 is basically only good for grindan before the boss, which is even more annoying. I did nothing but spam the moonlight sword magic and healing spells/items the whole time, I'm really glad the game doesn't kill you as soon as you hit 0 life because otherwise it would have taken much longer.
I was really disappointed by the endgame. Maybe it gets better if I grind a bit more in level 5? I don't know, but I sure don't want to go back there.

That's not to say I didn't like the rest of the game. The atmosphere was great despite the poor graphics (impressive for its time, sure, but as basic as you can get) and some of the enemy design is genuinely terrifying.
All the exploration was a lot of fun, I drew a full map for level 1 and intended to do so for the rest of the levels too, but I grew a bit lazy. The combat, however basic, can be kinda fun and tense. Most gameplay mechanics are pretty shallow too.
It was an enjoyable experience overall. It was nice to see how some of the elements in the souls games and the oppressive atmosphere were already present so far back. I don't know if I would have enjoyed it as much if I played other games in the series first though.
>>
>>3398843
>TTLG
that makes so much sense

these games really do rip off ultima underworld
>>
File: kf_skelly.jpg (682KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
kf_skelly.jpg
682KB, 1920x1080px
>>3398939
Fuck these pieces of shit. FROM really knows how to make you hate them skellingtons.
>>
>>3398952
>King's Field in full HD (TM)
nigga pls.
>>
>>3397915

I like the games, but sometimes it is annoying that doors are difficult to see among the walls, I mean there are textures for doors in 2 and 3 iirc, why not use them for every non hidden door? Favorite is probably 2, even with the maze-like world and samey textures you end up memorizing your way around. The Big Mine is loads of fun, especially the dinosaurs

>>3398262
Well, in 2 you can go right at the start to the caves beyond the fisherman and grab an early morningstar, if you can survive all the skeletons there, like DaS and the stuff in the graveyard.

Also circling around enemies as a battle tactic.
>>
>>3398232
Every sword has a different timing for casting it's sword magic.

It's silly, I know, but so long as you have one of them you should have all of them.
>>
The minimalistic dungeon synthy soundtrack of the first one really sets the mood well.
>>
>>3398785
>I killed you're waifu for that kickass armband.
She immortal though. The ending shows that you end up becoming just like her.
>>
2 is a fukken masterpiece

Haven't played 1 and 3 kind of annoyed me after awhile, even though I gave it a good shot, would any of you classify 3 as bad? Something about that game that keeps me from fully committing to it
>>
I honestly feel like the Armored Core series has more genuinely terrifying situations than the rest of the From Software series. Human experimentation and body modification, biological engineering, computer overlords, killer AIs piloting weapons of mass destruction, what even am I am I an AI, is my navigator an AI are any of my opponents real humans or are they all programs, IS ANYTHING EVEN REAL OR IS THERE ONLY WAR NOW
>>
>>3399383
Yeah the whole AC series is great, From are no slouches when it comes to building a strong sense of atmosphere in their games. The way those games slowly reveal their settings and themes through the missions really gripped me. They veer more into cyberpunk territory than your typical mecha themes.
>>
>>3398067
Dude talk on that's what I'd like to see on this thread.
>>
>>3398765
Dude quit being edgy both series are great (minus ds2)
>>
>>3399458
Demon's Souls is one of the best games I've ever played bar none.

Dark Souls is not as good but has such amazing art assets and lore and atmosphere that I really can't blame it too harshly for being less thought out and satisfying mechanically and in stage design, especially when Demon's Souls is literally one of the best ever.

Dark Souls 2 is too far away from being mechanically coherent and satisfying and fair for me to continue forgiving it. There's a lack of integrity and feedback and polish that really pisses me off.

From what I've heard Dark Souls 3 is better, but fuck Bloodborne up the ass I can't take more than a few minutes of that janky ass shit.
>>
>>3399592
>dismiss the best souls game as "janky" with no reasons given
sorry to derail with non /vr/ shit, but wut?
>>
>>3399607
Demon's Souls is fast and fluid as fuck, way more than any of the other entries.

BB is just too slow and rigid, I haven't been able to get into it purely because of the way it feels

I also hate those retarded looking weapons
>>
>>3399374
3 is the Dark Souls 2 of King's Field, in more ways than one.
>>
>>3399610
>BB
>slow and rigid

The people who tend to dislike Bloodborne are those who say it's far too fast paced and favors aggressive tactics over defensive ones compared to the slower and methodical pace of the Souls games. You are literally the first person I've ever encountered who complains that Bloodborne isn't fast enough and that Souls was faster.
>>
File: KF3_Shot_012.jpg (25KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
KF3_Shot_012.jpg
25KB, 320x240px
>>3400165
This is true. I elaborated here: >>3398680. I still love the game though- the level design is great(other than the palace of the winds, which is god-awful), tons of fun secrets, and incredible atmosphere.
It's weird to say, but I particularly love the abundance of open sky areas. The skybox makes these areas incredibly foreboding.
>>
>>3397915
I like these games and the shadow games. I love the atmosphere and the graphics are nice for old 3D, but I can't get anywhere in them and fighting basic enemies is such a trial since the fighting system is clunky as hell. the only game I was able to play and enjoy playing was Eternal Ring. That game got the gameplay down right.
>>
>>3400168
I mean the weapons and attack animations mainly

what I mean is I don't like the weapons, and weapons and the way you use them is a big part of the game for me

also note that I'm not really comparing it to any of the Dark Souls games, but rather to Demon's Souls, which is the only one that I feel actually got it really right, or as close as I needed it to be, to how you would actually use a weapon in real life
>>
File: 1460758794293.png (201KB, 460x674px) Image search: [Google]
1460758794293.png
201KB, 460x674px
>>3397915
I played the western KF1 (Jap KF2?)
I felt it was a little directionless at times, I enjoyed the adventure aspect of it but a more clearer goal would have been appreciated.
I almost stopped playing it multiple times because I just didn't feel like I was getting anywhere in it
>>
>>3400675
I was a faggot and had to use a guide to help me through a lot. I'm probably gonna play through again soon to see what I remember and hopefully not need my hand held as much.
>>
>>3400675
>>3400783
A large part of the KF2's world is optional. Pirate key, temple keys, anything to do with Seath's sword and fountain can all be missed if you don't explore thoroughly.
>>
File: HG_Shot_006.jpg (11KB, 340x191px) Image search: [Google]
HG_Shot_006.jpg
11KB, 340x191px
Has anybody ever tried Hungry Ghosts? It's a first person dungeon crawler and it seems to have been heavily influenced by King's Field and Shadow Tower.
Unfortunately it's only in japanese, but I was wondering how much japanese knowledge you'd need to get through it.
>>
>>3402017
I remember reading a review in hardcoregamer, i think it wasn't totally unplayable without knowing moon.
>>
I'm really introgued by these games, should I just get PS1 copies to play on my PS3? I noticed the US version of KF is a little pricey, and the US version of KFII is quite cheap. Is KFII (US) bad? Would anyone recommend either? I don't like playing games on my PC so I'd want to get discs on eBay or whatever.
>>
>>3402083
Sorry for poor spelling/typos... on my phone at work.
>>
>>3402083
The first (US) is generally agreed upon to be the best among the PS1 ones, but the second is not bad either. If you want to play the first JP game you'll have to burn a disk yourself though, as there is no official translation.
>>
>>3402090
Awesome thank you, would starting with KFII (US) be a terrible idea?
>>
>>3402098
Not sure, I think it's better to go through the series chronologically, but if you don't know what you're going into and buying old copies is your only option then it's probably fine.
>>
>>3402105
The advice is appreciated!
>>
So, I want play King field or shadow tower... I have a ps2 and a shit pc. Wich game I start?
>>
Somebody should make a chart for KF, Shadow Tower and Eternal Ring and maybe some others with some short descriptions and recommended playing order. I would but I haven't finished all of them yet.
>>
>>3402178
Any PC could emulate the PSX game(KF1-3 and Shadow Tower). For the PS2, you have KF4(The Ancient City) and Shadow Tower: Abyss(which didn't get an official localization- if you want it localized, you'll have to pirate it).
You can probably skip KF1(the Japanese one)- it wasn't officially localized, and it's really not all that good compared with the following ones. KF2(western KF1) is great, and IMO KF4 is the best.
I haven't played Shadow Tower, but Shadow Tower: Abyss is a great game. Very different to KF when it comes to mechanics and level design, but excellent in its own way.
My opinion: start with KF2. If you're into it, continue the KF series chronologically. If it's too archaic for you, jump straight to KF4. Then go for ST:A. If you still want more, there's KF1 and the original Shadow Tower(also Eternal Ring and the Echo Night game, but I haven't played those).
>>
I was playing IV but I got stuck. Those warp wands pretty much fucked up my sense of direction and now I don't know where to go.
>>
>>3403660
what was the last thing you did in the game
>>
>>3402178
Play King's field II or III (I and II in NA), and then try playing Shadow Tower.

Shadow Tower Abyss builds directly on Shadow Tower, but it's also far easier than Shadow Tower. Shadow Tower is probably the hardest out of all the King's Field and Shadow Tower games, and getting the full force of that and it's creepy, minimalist atmosphere really enhances it.

Eternal Ring is a really strange game with a strange plot and a strange ending. It plays a lot like KF and ST though, and the Ring/Spelll crafting is I suppose, fun enough in it's own way. For some reason I got lost a lot in that game though, it's really confusing.

At some point you should also check out Evergrace and it's somewhat amazing soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm17vgmh854
>>
>>3400165
Can someone explain the troubled development of Dark Souls 2? Why was the Lost Crowns trilogy better than the main game?
>>
>>3403867
Basically, Dark Souls was based in classic Europen mythology while adding an original flair to it and making a masterful gothic ambientation and some of the best maping of the last decade.
Dark Souls 2 was based in Dark Souls 1 and had pretty meh map making. They tried to do too much, then realized they didn't have enough time to the maps are just interconnected areas without much cohesion.
>>
>>3397915
I've actually just started playing Kings Field 2, its a little jank but I can dig it. I dont really know what to do so far though
>>
File: 1469977419184.jpg (50KB, 900x599px) Image search: [Google]
1469977419184.jpg
50KB, 900x599px
Has anyone succeeded in running any of these with a stable 60fps? I use ePSXe, if I uncap the framelimiter the game runs at 1200mph, if I cap it framerate ranges from 60fps to 1fps and dips horribly when there are a few enemies around.
>>
>>3404030
I'm using PCSX-R with Pete's OpenGL plugin 2 + Pete's OGL tweak. I've had the same problem with KF2, getting the EU version fixed it though.
>>
>>3403398
>the Echo Night game
That looks pretty cool, I've never heard of it. Seems like the only thing similar to KF is the first person perspective though, it's not a dungeon crawler.
>>
>>3403867
They were doing Bloodborne at the same time.
>>
>>3404030
>ps1
>60fps

It wasn't meant to run like that.
>>
>>3403712
I killed this boss in the castle after a forest, went through some ice cavern (not sure if I finished in there) and was in those mines with those prancing fuckers (not sure if I finished in there, either) and I still don't know how to break rocks or melt ice.
>>
>>3403867
There wasn't one. Some gaffer pulled le B-team meme out of his ass and retarded vedditors started parroting it.
>>
>>3403870
Basically this
I still really like the game and will likely play it agian in the future like i did just a few months ago.
>>
>>3404476
There's a way to let the lava flow into the frozen area to thaw it, I believe you have to beat some boss that eats lava and isn't nearly as hard as it looks.

You then can fight a boss in the ice area that drops a thing that you can use back in the lava area that lowers the lava level in the now really hot and lava ice area.

After that, you can follow the lava to fight an optional fire boss that's probably the hardest fight in the game, maybe the only hard fight period.

Or you can also properly proceed through the now functional dwarf area and continue the game.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.