[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/vr/ Dark Worlds

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 11

File: stranger-things.gif (28KB, 496x713px) Image search: [Google]
stranger-things.gif
28KB, 496x713px
What are some classic games in which you get to visit an alternate/twisted but recognizable version of the "main" game world?

Stuff like pic related, the World of Ruin in FFVI, the Inverted Castle in Symphony of the Night, and so forth
>>
I think the World of Ruin is not an alternate version of the world, it is what the world becomes after Kefka destroys it, and i think it does not return to what it once was after you defeat him
>>
>>3396687
Sure, I didn't necessarily mean examples in which you can switch back and forth ("alternate" was an unfortunate word choice), but essentially new places with obvious ties to something the player is already familiar with, in general
>>
>>3396672
Subspace in SMB2 sort of fits the description. You just don't spend more than 10-ish seconds in it at a time.
>>
Can we count the various racing games like Mario Kart with "Mirror" modes?
>>
Games related to time travel are usually good picks. Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross come to mind, as well as Sonic CD.
>>
Chrono Trigger allows you to time travel from past to future, so the world has several variations
>Prehistoric
>Medieval
>Present Time
>Post apocalyptic future
>>
>>3396731
You forgot the Dark Ages, the time between pre history and the middle ages, the forgotten time where people used magic and lived in floating islands.
>>
Silent Hill does this with the Otherworld/rusted versions of the city.
>>
File: dqvi-long-journey[1].jpg (24KB, 256x193px) Image search: [Google]
dqvi-long-journey[1].jpg
24KB, 256x193px
>>3396672
Dragon Quest VI features a World of Dream.
>>
>>3396731
Chrono cross has three worlds.
>>
File: triggered.gif (26KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
triggered.gif
26KB, 256x224px
>>3396730
>>3396731
>>3396740

> Get to the prehistoric times scenario
> "65000000 BC"
> Everybody is blonde, a genetic trait barely over 10000 years old in the real world

Duroppeddo
>>
Inverted Stone Tower in Majora's Mask.
>>
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. I think 12 years is long enough.
>>
>>3396954
of all the things that are scientifically wrong about CT, you chose this?

i mean, it has a fucking talking frog, but you have a hard time believing that blonde people have existed for longer in the game than in real life
>>
>>3396672
Moonside from Earthbound, OoT as adult Link
>>
>>3397053
Welcome to /vr/
>>
Soul Reaver kind of has this
>>
>>3396672
Super Mario World
>>
>>3397042
Wrong
>>
File: sh.png (184KB, 340x340px) Image search: [Google]
sh.png
184KB, 340x340px
>>3396791
Just about to post the same thing.
>>
>>3396791
>>3397336

Yeah, but you don't usually visit the same areas (in terms of layout) in both dimensions, do you? It's more like different areas having different flavors iirc
>>
File: fall-overworld.png (9KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
fall-overworld.png
9KB, 256x224px
>>3397139
You mean the 'let's reward the player for getting a perfect save file by fucking everything up' makeover? It's not really a "part" of the game though
>>
>>3397042
MP2 was developed on 15 year old hardware. Wait until 2021 - 2026 and it'll be 20 - 25 years old. Then it'll be retro.
>>
>>3398140
Not only that, but the last gc game was released 8 years ago, and the last game from that generation was a ps2 game released 3 years ago. The last run of dreamcast games was released before some of the major gc titles were released.
>>
monster partyyyy
>>
>>3396672
I always loved this concept, even if it's not super special or anything. Megaman 3 sort of had this in the destroyed or doc robot stages.

I imagine the damage was caused by Megaman's first assault on the place. I don't think the idea was used again until X6, which had nightmare stages show up occasionally.
>>
>>3398289
Last dreamcast game was Karous, made in 2007
>>
>>3397093
>OoT as adult Link
I was always surprised that in 7 years of his horrific rule, the worst thing Ganon did was destroy Hyrule Castle and give Lon Lon Ranch to the drunk guy. I expected a lot more death and despair, but life seemed to go on, for the most part.
>>
>>3401285
Ganondorf:
- Placed a deadly curse on the Great Deku Tree, which lead to his eventual death
- Blocked the entrance to Dodongo's Cavern, a major food source for the Gorons.
- Infected Lord Jabu-Jabu with a deadly parasite that eventually killed him as well.
- Betrayed and killed the King of Hyrule along with many guards
-Forced Princess Zelda into hiding
-Assaulted a child
-Invaded the Sacred Realm and seized the Triforce of Power
- Destroyed Hyrule Castle and Castle Town
- Gave Lon Lon Ranch to Ingo
- Filled Kokiri Forest with monsters
- Kidnapped all the Gorons and tried to feed them to the revived ancient dragon Volvagia
-Was responsible for the freezing of Zora's Domain
-Caused Lake Hylia to dry up
-Indirectly responsible for the death of every Sage.
>>
>>3396672

As pointed out, Zeldas love this alternate world stuff; the Oracle games is where they really go to town with it though
>>
>>3398136

you certainly do. The map you pick up in one is used in the alternate. Silent Hill, for me, exemplified alternate versions of worlds
>>
>>3401271
That was an arcade game ported without segas consent, try again.

If you're going that route then the nes still has new games coming out.
>>
>>3396706
Subcon
>>
>>3398289
also the PS2 still has games I think in some countries.
>>
File: gotta-go-deeper.jpg (141KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
gotta-go-deeper.jpg
141KB, 500x374px
>>3396706
>>3402341

That was a fun, and pretty clever mechanic, specially the way you had to plan the best possible "crop" of the screen to get as many coins as posible, and the way it flipped the world around.

Subcon (as in subconscious) was the name of that world in general, not only the sub-space I think
>>
File: inception.jpg (412KB, 1224x804px) Image search: [Google]
inception.jpg
412KB, 1224x804px
>>3402626
> google that up to confirm
> wiki page shows a banner ad for spinning tops
>>
>>3396672
Metroid Prime Echoes.
>>
>>3396672
FFV's plot centers around this if you haven't played it yet.
The job system is fun as hell too.
>>
>>3398139
Then what is it, then? A bug?
>>
>>3401320
>-Indirectly responsible for the death of every Sage.
I hate this meme
>>
>>3401271
Under Defeat was ported to the Dreamcast in 2006 and published by Sega. By comparison, the last GameCube game published by Nintendo was also in 2006.
>>
>>3396964
Or possibly all of Termina
>>
>>3397042
But the dark world is shitty and bland and a total chore to play through.
>>
>>3396672
Master of Magic has a "Myrror Plane" which can be taken quite literally.
>>
Sonic CD's past and future versions of stages are all great
>>
>>3397134
Nigga, soul reaver is probably the absolute best example of this. Zelda has had the mechanic where switching maps will open up new paths in several games, but none of them feel as organic as soul reaver's twisting and distorting of the world when you switch planes. Not to mention the weird rules of the spectral plane, like water having no bouyancy and you not being able to interact with switches.
>>
This is one of my favorite cliches in games. Working on one focused around it myself. It's a Mother-like with some light Zelda elements, but every location has it's own Moonside/Dark World equivalent.
>>
>>3403294

A mistake. Nothing but trash.
>>
obviously a link to the past's dark world.
>>
File: darkseed2-9.png (378KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
darkseed2-9.png
378KB, 640x480px
Dark Seed 2.
>>
Angel Island Zone before and after the fire bombs. Mushroom Hill in Summer (A1) and Autumn (A2).
>>
>>3398139
I was pretty upset when I found out what happened when you got 100%. Everything was so goddamn UGLY. I deleted my save.
>>
This cliche is one of my favourites.

OP try playing Eversion, it's a retro-like cutesy platformer where you use alternate dimensions to get past obstacles.
>>
>>3397053
that's how you identify anthropology majors, besides the obesity and colored hair of course
>>
>>3407650
Fran Bow does a similar thing with a mentally-ill ten year old.
>>
>>3406534
That was already stated in the OP if you had bothered to read it.
>>
Sonic CD
>>
>>3409014
all CDs are sonic, that's what they're made for
>>
>>3396954
>Crono Trigger
>Modern civilization doesn't develop until 65 million+ years after Ayla's time period

>Real world
>It took us less than 200000 years to progress from cavemen to modern people
>>
>>3409082
>less than 200000 years
less than 50000 years. We're not the first round. Ask yourself what happened to the other two, that we can hardly find any evidence of them. It'll happen to us within the next 2000 years
>>
Terranigma has you start in the dark world. It also has some of the finest action RPG gameplay on the SNES.
>>
>>3407607
Nope. The area changes but you don't go back to how the area was before the changes: it's all a new zone.
>>
File: file.png (311KB, 768x384px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
311KB, 768x384px
>>3397336
>>3396791
This is only slightly related to the topic but I had to share it. The guys who directed Stranger Things on Netflix were inspired by Silent Hill visually for their own alternate universe which behaves in a similar way. The whole show is very retro anyways but more for 80s stuff which makes it a really weird choice for inspiration, but it's awesome.
>>
It's just only one level in the game but in Banjo and kazooie, the final level click clock wood appears to travel 4 times the same level, each time correspond to a different season.
>>
>>3406534
>Stuff like pic related
>>
>>3409020
Very funny.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.