[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this the best FF game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 204
Thread images: 17

File: Ff5-logo.jpg (26KB, 298x159px) Image search: [Google]
Ff5-logo.jpg
26KB, 298x159px
Is this the best FF game?
>>
>>3394764
Probably. Expect a lot of disagreement, though.
>>
If you only care about that job system, yes.
>>
Yes. By far the best gameplay. Best characters, partly because the cast being small enough that nobody is irrelevant. A lot of people shit on the plot, but I don't think they should, because no FF game has a good plot. Admittedly, the music is pretty outclassed by a lot of the later entries; 6 swooped in right after and completely outdid it in that regard, but not any other.
>>
File: traitor_final_fantasy_ii.jpg (23KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
traitor_final_fantasy_ii.jpg
23KB, 480x360px
>>3394803
>Best characters, partly because the cast being small enough that nobody is irrelevant

I don't care if someone is irrelevant or not, i care about their relation with the main plot. Characters from V felt like "woha! what am i doing here? Well anyway, let's fight the evil!". Just have a look at how II/IV was done, you can see traisons/sacrifices, cowards that later manup, all these elements make the player interested in what is going on, not just feel like the game is all about beating one dungeon after another.

> no FF game has a good plot
Wrong, again II/IV makes you interested in what is going to happen next. Under the hood everything is the typical city-overworld-dungeon, yet it is introduced in such way that you are eager to continue playing, even if you have less options when it comes to combat compared to V.

From what i have read in this board, people that like V do because of the job system. No wonder they hate IV for the same reason.
>>
>>3394816
>no FF game has a good plot
>Wrong
Why bother? What made FF games stand out from the other jRPGs was the plots, that guy is just spewing the "FF plots suck" meme from /v/.
>>
>>3394816

>This 4 fanboyism

No man.

4's plot is actually fucking ferrible.

It's "bait and switch" the game.
>The king of baron is evil!
>oh wait... he was just a minion of Golbez
>KAIN IS EVIL
>oh wait, he was just being controlled by Golbez
>I've got you now Golbez!
>Oh wait... Golbez was just being controlled by Zemus

Its beyond retarded.
>>
>>3394826
That's exactly what makes it interesting. It gives you plot changes, it destroys what you knew and makes you more interested in what is going to happen from now on. If you don't like it, is ok. But you are shitting in its strong point. As pointless as arguing that RS1 is boring because 'you don't know where to move next'.
>>
>>3394829

Thats not a strong point of a good plot.

A good plot has you knowing the end goal and working towards it throughout the game. Its one of the reasons that Chrono Trigger is so well regarded.

FF5 is really the only one that does it well. 7 and 8 do it to a lesser extent. The rest of them are usually a bunch of unrelated things followed by some big 180.
>>
>>3394836
>A good plot has you knowing the end goal and working towards it throughout the game.
I dont think so, because i can recognize good plots in games in which you don't exactly know what is going to happen from the begging to the end. A good plot is the one that makes you interested in knowing what is going to happen next. That 's why people reading books with good plots cannot stop reading. The events narrated on the book makes readers interested in knowing the conclusion of the same. That would not happen if you, from the begging, could know said events.
>>
>>3394803
FFV has a good plot though. Yes, it is a fairy tale, but I'd rather read that than another rebels-fighting-evil-empire oh-my-life-is-full-of-woe piece of shit.0
>>
How do I patch the GBA ver. of the game with the sound fix? Anyone got a link or something?
>>
File: ffiv-rydia-reunion[1].jpg (94KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
ffiv-rydia-reunion[1].jpg
94KB, 512x384px
>>3394836
Let's put it in this way: a good story makes you interested in what is going to happen to certain characters. Of course, those unexpected situations that you were not controlling from the begginning attracts your attention more successfully.

>>3394847
>but I'd rather read that than another

FFV has a plain story, by your own argument you should stop playing it. Every DQ has it.
>>
>>3394848
bump
>>
File: RamzaBeoulve.jpg.png (223KB, 480x482px) Image search: [Google]
RamzaBeoulve.jpg.png
223KB, 480x482px
>>3394764
I told you already on /vp/ OP. Tactics is the best FF game.

If we're only counting mainline though, I would argue that V is probably the best though.
>>
It was great until it got translated.
>>
>>3394848
there's links in the final fantasy general pastebin iirc
>>
>>3394878
well considering FFT is a tactics ogre game with the FF name, I respectfully disagree that its the best FF game.
>>
>>3395821
it has FF in the name so it's an FF game
besides, it's gameplay is much better than TO
>>
>>3395949
*its
>>
>>3394829
It's not interesting though, it's fucking tedious. A child could've plotted out that story. None of the characters are moderately interesting.
>>
>>3394816
>you are eager to continue playing, even if you have less options when it comes to combat
>you have less options
>>
>>3394836
As much as I /detest/ Chrono Trigger for its simplicity of plot and lack of character growth/progression, I do like the fact that the goal is, at the very least, well-thought out: destroy the eldritch abomination before it destroys your world. What I really like most about it is that Lavos isn't evil. Really. It isn't. It's just an animal. It needs to survive. By whatever circumstances, it evolved on its home planet as a interplanetary parasite and, like all living things, its sole purpose is to survive and continue its species. That's its sole driving force and, I think, that's the strongest motivation there is.

While FFII/IV has far stronger characters, its villain is a jumbled mess. Zemus wants Lunarians to populate the Blue Planet, right? Why? What's wrong with the Red Moon? Why does he hate humans? His motivation is fucking garbage because it's unclear.
Even Kefka's motivations are better (he's just nuts). That annoys the fuck out of me with FFII/IV.
As for FFV, Exodus is a faggot who just finished his first course in German philosophy, particular Nietzsche and Heidegger, and became obsessed with Nihilism. There's little rhyme or reason to his motivation.
>"waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! i wanna return everything to the void!!!"
Why?
>"because the void!!!"
wut
>"shut up, faggot!!! you'll never understand the desire to want nothing!!!"
But isn't that desire something and in so wanting that nothing you actually want something? This is like that silly Buddhist shit with the four noble truths wherein to free yourself from samsara, you are to let go of all desire but wanting to let go of desire is itself a desire and you and all other existence is therefore destined to forever be on bhavacakra and will never achieve moksha. And the supposed "Buddha" never achieved it, either.
>:: head asplodes ::
Well that was easy. I suppose I'll now go off to prove black is white and get myself killed on the next zebra crossing.
>>
FF kept getting more and more focus on story with every new title. I think perfect balance was reached at 4/5/6 and especially 7 where despite being 3D it still had charm of 2D games with it's big-headed, low-poly character models and lots of silly moments.
>>
>>3394826
>It's "bait and switch" the game.
>>The king of baron is evil!
More like "There is something wrong with the King, why?"
>>KAIN IS EVIL
Same thing. "Why is my best friend suddenly evil? What is going on?"

Both are resolved when Golbez is introduced and he stays as the main villain for almost entire game.

>>I've got you now Golbez!
>>Oh wait... Golbez was just being controlled by Zemus
This is true. For better or worse.
>>
It's one of the better ones but I could never call it my personal favorite.

Though I love its cast, save Lenna who's completely forgettable, the world and plot are really standard and forgettable. All the locales and events of the game blur together for me.

I also don't care for the job system as much as its fans do. You don't get a real sense of progression with your characters, as soon as you max out one job the game throws a bunch more at you that you're expected to level up to survive the upcoming areas, and if you don't want to waste your experience you'll naturally switch to something else. It's a constant cycle of grinding up one, mastering it and returning to square one for the entire game, rather than building on a preexisting set of skills. When you reach the endgame and have a big assortment of mastered jobs to choose from, and can experiment with the freelancer job, the system clicks and becomes loads of fun to play around in, but it takes so long to get to that point. I prefer FF6's system where you have crazy accessories and espers on top of a character-specific skill, and FF7's materia/limit break system, since it gives a similar feeling of customization while retaining the good parts of FF4's combat.
>>
>>3396427
If you're mastering jobs that early in the game you must be way overleveled.
>>
the only flaw with FFV is i dont see how beating the game without dualcasting is possible
>>
>>3394764
FFV is definitely one of the more fun FF games. If that's what you care about then great. I wouldn't call it the best since I definitely look for a game that's good at most things rather than just being good at one or two things. In FFV's case, even the music is kind of lacking compared to other titles.

I agree with FFIV being pretty shit. The potential for a great plot is there but it just doesn't do it justice.

"Cecil, you're an alien?"
"I guess so. Let's go to the final dungeon now."

And that's that. The script is lacking, the characters aren't engaging and the constant not-really-sacrifices and brainwashing shenanigans going in is a textbook example of bad writing. I love the scifi twist at the end but that's about it. Zemus and the influence of the Lunarians could have been incorporated into the story better as well.
>>
>>3394764
I'd say FF6 and FFT are both better overall, but you can't deny the fun factor of FF5. The story retarded as hell, though - like, even by FF standards. It's got fucking tree wizards, talking turtles, senile werewolves, and pirate princesses; a whole bunch of stupid Saturday morning cartoon bullshit.
>>
>>3396754
How is the game fun? I'm at Tule right now and the job system seems boring as hell. Why is the beginning so damn slow?
>>
>>3396754
>a whole bunch of stupid Saturday morning cartoon bullshit.
that's literally the point, it's a light-hearted adventure
>>
>>3394764
Anyone who cares about gameplay over anything agrees.
>>
>>3396759
You're like... less than two hours into the game at this point, IIRC. Things start to pick up for real when you get your second batch of jobs.

>>3396760
Yeah, but it also tries to be dramatic at times and it always comes off as hokey and out of character. Not to mention the main cast is paper thin in terms of actual character development aside from maybe Galuf. Hell, by the halfway point of the game, I'd say the Tycoon sisters become completely irrelevant to the story at large.
>>
>>3396793
Oh. How long does this game take to beat, then?
>>
>>3396820
it took me 10 hours, but that's because i was a complete idiot
>>
>>3396823
Are you for real? That seems short for a Final Fantasy game...
>>
>>3396826
the game came out in 1992
>>
>>3396827
Look, fucktard. I don't care if it was released in '92. How did you beat the game so quickly?
>>
>>3396832
by playing through it

one question, are you underage?
>>
>>3396835
no
>>
>>3396535
Dualcast + Time Magic = Godly
Quick, Meteor. Meteor, Meteor. Meteor, Meteor.
>>
>>3396823
It's about 15-20 hours in-game, but most people play on an emulator with fast forward nowadays, so expect to beat it in around 12-16 hours.
>>
>>3396843
well that's how the game timed me, actually

maybe i did take much longer than that, i never use fast forwarding
>>
>>3396847
I mean, you could probably cut down a bunch of hours by not doing a bunch of late game side quests, so 10 hours is completely believable. My last playthrough was 25 hours long, but that's cause I did all the side quests and maxed out a bunch of jobs - still couldn't beat Omega or Shinryu, though. Then again, you need highly specific setups for those bosses.
>>
>>3396851
I never played this game before. Is it really that short?

I'm playing all the FF games in chronological order, and this is how long it took me in the following games:
FFI (PSP) - 12
FFII (PSP) - 16
FFIII (Steam) - 39
FFIV (PSP) - 22
>>
>>3396851
>My last playthrough
Lol, how many times did you play this game?

And what version, homie?
>>
>>3396862
Three times, I think? Not that it matters, really. I already mentioned that I wasted a lot of time with grinding and sidequests. You could easily trim the game length down to half of that, if not less. I played the GBA version on an emulator.
>>
>>3396874
>Not that it matters, really
It matters to me because i love you.

(ps: your sister is probably really attractive)
>>
File: KElds0M.jpg (82KB, 908x648px) Image search: [Google]
KElds0M.jpg
82KB, 908x648px
>>3396880
Pic related. I don't have a sister, though.

>>3396859
I mean, your mileage will vary depending on how much shit you wanna do in each game. If you plan out your job progression ahead of time, FF5 can be short as hell. If you go in blind and fuck around, it'll be around 20 hours long.
>>
>>3394764
FFV is the most fun. Its characters are the most fun, its story is the most fun, it's class system is the most fun. It's a goofy romp and I love it for that.
>>
>>3396904
>I don't have a sister, though.
gay
>>
>>3394764
What about 9?
>>
>>3394764
That's not 6.

6 is the pinnacle of all jrpg's, guy.

Very few games can reach the enrapturing and epic heights of VI.
>>
File: Sarisa 61.png (897KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Sarisa 61.png
897KB, 800x1000px
It's my favorite Final Fantasy game. I love the characters, gameplay, job classes and charming storyline.

Would love to speed run it. I've been over halfway through the game before on levels 3 and 4.

For the record, I think Final Fantasy VI is the greatest RPG ever made. But V will forever be my personal favorite.
>>
Is there any other RPG that offers as much customization as FF5? I love the concept of making pseudo custom classes. I've heard FF Tactics is good for this?
>>
It wasn't even the best FF released that year, never mind best FF ever.
>>
I remember finding the graphics of SNES FFs very charming despite being used to PS graphics.
>>
>>3398825
I remember finding the graphics of PSX FFs very jarring despite because I am used to SNES graphics.
[spoilers]i fucking hate polygons and prerendered backgrounds[/spoilers]
>>
>>3398908
Why the fuck did I put S at the end of spoiler? Iced tea on hot summer days is a hell of a drug.
>>
File: ffiv.jpg (32KB, 640x354px) Image search: [Google]
ffiv.jpg
32KB, 640x354px
>>3398825
i think the reason for that is that kazuko shibuya stopped working on the sprite art as the games switched to 3D

she's the one responsible for drawing all the character and enemy sprites from FF1 to FF6 and Romancing Saga 1-3

she also drew the stuff in pic related
>>
Retro numeric FF's only

Top Tier:
FFIV

High Tier:
FFIX

Mid Tier:
FFV
FFI
FFIII

Low Tier:
FFVII
FFVI

Shit Tier:
FFII
FFVIII
>>
>>3394878
/thread
Tactics is the GOAT everyone knows that
>>
>>3398934
>Low Tier:
>FFVII
>FFVI

>IX being anything above shit tier

Contrarianism alert!

Might as well say something like Riviera The Promised Land or Yggdra Union is the gratest jrpg of all time.
>>
>>3398971
Nah, if I wanted to be contrarian I'd have put them in shit tier. VI is a buggy mess and VII was far too easy and boring.
>>
>>3398983
If VII is too easy then why don't you dock IX?

IX is as generic as you come by. There is no world or plot as expansive and engrossing as VII's in any other JRPG. The ATB systems were revolutionary.
>>
>>3398983
>buggy mess
>>
>>3398995
My face exactly. Dude's being a total contrarian. He thinks he's cool, and he just wants the attention
>>
>>3398987
>The ATB systems were revolutionary.
The ATB system came out with FF4, not FF7. Only thing FF7 brought to the table was consistency in limit breaks.
>>
>>3398987
IX isn't as easy as VII. If you want to get the best gear you basically need to speedrun it and beat a superboss.
>>
Class-based FF's are superior to classless FF's.

Prove me wrong.
>>
>>3398995
6 is a buggy mess though, half the stats don't work properly and if you max your speed and cast haste congrats on overflowing your speed back to 0
>>
>>3399025
>If you want to get the best gear
YEAH EXACTLY. Get the best gear! Not beat it. Beating it is extremely easy compared to VII
>>
>>3394764
No
>>
>>3394764
Not when VI and IV exist. V is a very mediocre game with terrible production values and a rote story with characters that lack development. There is little epic saga feel to V. It just feels bland. Even the original on the NES stands out far more to me than when i played V on the ps1.
>>
>>3399008
There are no side activities or real outstanding towns compared to VII. VII is a journey. It's a timeless and outstanding journey. In fact, VII is just as adventure-game as it is jrpg.
>>
>>3399051
>There is little epic saga feel to V.
that's because there isn't supposed to be any
>>
>>3399052
Please tell me that you're not comparing 7 and 9
>>
>>3399048
VII has exactly two hard bosses. Ruby Weapon and Demon Gate.
>>
>>3399053
>that's because there isn't supposed to be any
Well that's not Final Fantasy then. Every one feels like an epic journey except V. V is lackadaisical and aimless.
>>
>>3399054
Yes I am! There are a million beautiful towns and side activities in VII. The Gold Saucer, snowboarding, bike chase, the tower defense game, everything!
>>
>>3399060
No wonder you don't like IX, you're a 7cuck. IX was meant to be a throwback to the classic games, like IV.
>>
>>3394764
>boring story
>boring characters
>if you want to have fun with some jobs when you actually get them you have to grind like crazy because most fights give you 1 ABP

meh game
>>
>>3394764
Every Final Fantasy is better than V except VIII and XIII
>>
>>3399057
You mean Emerald Weapon, right? Even as a 12 year old casual I never found Demon Gate hard.
>>
>>3399078
Yeah, because if there's anything that reminds me of the classic games. Its excruciatingly long non-combat sections and lethargic combat pace.
>>
>>3399124
And II
>>
>>3399157
No, II is great. People dislike it for being to hard and different. V is just generic and forgettable.
>>
>>3394764
Yes.

V is brilliant in design. The job system allows the player to focus on a small cast of characters allowing you to get emotionally attached to them, resulting in their characterization to be much more natural and relatable without the developers having to hyper-charge their personalities just to make them memorable to the player. Because the characters are so much more natural, there's no need for melodrama, shoehorned love stories, or contrived story "twist" and ultimately makes the occasional emotional scenes that much more impactful Galuf death scene is the single most emotionally charged scene in Final Fantasy because of the time the player has spent with his character. The villain is exactly what they need to be to get the job done and are a constant and easy to understand threat to motivate the player to defeat. The world has enough visual variety and the story never feels stop-start as progression is consistent and paced. The job system also allows the player to experiment with different setups as each player retains their level as there's no need to switch to another under-leveled character, this is especially useful whenever the player needs to switch to another job if they are currently having trouble with a certain setup/boss with little penalty or grinding involved. The job system itself adds plenty of replayability as these plenty of ways to mix and mash job abilities, especially once the mime class is unlocked. The expanded map in the last half of the game is well contextualized storywise and the player is free to ignore all the side quests and engage the Rift as soon as they're willing/ready (homologous to FFVI's World of Ruin and Kefka's Tower).

TL;DR: Simple adventure story + mechanic rich gameplay = very satisfying game
>>
>>3399107
>grinding jobs

What are you? Retarded?
>>
>>3394836
>7 and 8 do it to a lesser extent.
>fucking 8
The only good part of 8 was junctioning, and even that was more complicated than it needed to be.
>>
>>3394850
>FFV has a plain story,
Does it really?
It certainly was more focused on gameplay than story, but I think the story aspect is really underrated. I really dug the whole alternate world thing, it really felt like there was something larger going on. Plus Bartz has more personality than Cecil.
>>
>>3399219
BARTZ??? MORE PERSONALITY???

HE BARELY FUCKING TALKS
>>
>>3399314
Bartz is a care-free spirit that stays on the road because he has nothing left at home. He gets swept up into a larger world with his new friends and eventually Bartz finds his place in the world and his friends becoming family

Cecil is a guy who's conflicted because he did mean things under orders then turns out to be an alien and brother to the main antagonist but he hardly even reacts to it
>>
Tiers:
Top tier: FFVII
High tier:FFVI
Good tier:FFIX, FFIV
Okay tier:FFV
Bad tier: FFVIII
Pop music level-of-bad tier:FFXIII
Outdated and unplayable tier: FFII
>>
>>3399469
What about I and III?

They definitely deserve to be in good tier.
>>
>>3399491
Not that anon, but although they aren't crap for their time and they are playable unlike FFII, there's hardly anything interesting about them.

Good tiers there >>3399469 although I would place FVIII into okay or good tier.
>>
>>3399469
>6 and 7 on top
lol pleb
>>
>>3394764
Mediocre tier:
7, 5
Bad tier:
8, 6
Shit tier:
9, 4
WTF are you doing you'll never get that time back tier:
1, 2, 3
>>
>>3399542
Why is he a pleb? You're not special for liking the lesser FF's. Even Japan's Famitsu poll placed VI as the best on the SNES, and VII the best game on PS1
>>
>>3399542
>Scoffing at VI
Every character is incredibly fleshed out with interesting struggles and backstories, the world is very well-realized and has a slick steampunk aesthetic, the Esper system strikes the perfect balance of character individuality and player flexibility.

FF6 is the bar against which all other RPGs, (Japanese or Western) is measured.

Begone with you.
>>
>>3399053
Then go play another series. If it's not epic, it's not Final Fantasy. Even the name is epic. FINAL FANTASY
>>
>>3399581
final fantasy is just some engrish thing they came up with because they wanted something that could be abbreviated as FF
>>
>>3399580
>only thing he can praise is the plot

You're a joke, kiddo.
>>
>>3399618
But he just praised the (great) esper system, dumdum.
>>
>>3399187
the only reason to play the game is to mix and match different abilities from different jobs
are you sure you're not the slow one, considering I have to explain something so obvious to you?
>>
>>3399580
that's nice
now if only half the game wasn't a plotless character fetchquest
better than V, but the only SNES FF worth playing is IV
>>
>>3394764
>see thread
>go to closet
>dust off small old wooden treasure chest
>copy of FF5 Advance is still there
>boot it up
>on some bridge
>cant remember shit
>dont remember the job system very much
>dont know where I am or what went on in the story

Well, fuck it might as well restart it.

can yall give me some fun job combos/builds as I fight my way back to wherever I was? I definitely want a monk and a 2h sword fighter if at all possible.
>>
>>3399678
>but the only SNES FF worth playing is IV
I'd say that's a pretty childish route to take in trying to prove your argument, belittling the greatest and most well-regarded rpgof all time to the level of calling it worthless. But okay, pal. Continue to act as though your opinion is anything meaningful.
>>
>>3399695
>on some bridge
how the fuck did you bail the game at this part
>>
>>3399718
You dont really expect me to remember that from like 9-10 years ago, do ya?
>>
Why did OP post a Dragon Quest game?
>>
>>3399658
You're full of shit. Unless you flee from every fight or something you can get ABP easily from progressing through dungeons normally.
>>
Tactics
>>
>>3399695
this is literally me except im in some fucking library

what do
>>
>>3399580
>the Esper system strikes the perfect balance of character individuality and player flexibility.
You mean the system that gives characters any magic you want to give them in a game where magic is the second most powerful mechanic in the game? That's not striking a balance, that's outright erasing character individuality.
>>
>>3399025
At least in VII it doesn't take more than a minute just to win a regular battle.
>>
>>3401440
Sorry you have ADHD, kiddo.
>>
FF VI, great story, great characters, probably the best music ever in a game, and less playstation noobs
>>
>>3401940
Wow, there's a fan of VI here? For a minute there, I thought I was going crazy.
>>
>>3398562
Yeah FFV goes even further than it than V does arguably. If you want to make super custom classes though you should try playing 2 where everyone is literally blank slates an you can do what you want with each.
>>
>>3394764
it's definitely the most final fantasy of the final fantasy games
>>
File: laughing cheetah 1333850203250.jpg (49KB, 478x399px) Image search: [Google]
laughing cheetah 1333850203250.jpg
49KB, 478x399px
>>3398798
>mystic quest
>good
High-larious joke there. Tell it again.
>>
>>3401940
>less playstation noobs
see >>3396125
>>
It has one of the best boss themes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVshR3ehxmE
>>
>>3394848
http://fantasyanime.com/finalfantasy/ff5/ff5down.htm
>>
>>3396148
Exdeath is a mass of demons sealed under a tree that merged into a single being and escaped.

He's literally made out of evil and so he wants to destroy everything for the sake of destroying everything, which is why he's obsessed with the void: it lets him do exactly what he's trying to do.

He's really not much more complicated than Kefka. You're just meant to take him at face value.
>>
>>3396754
The Saturday morning cartoon bullshit is exactly WHY I like that game's story.

I can see why it would annoy people who were hoping for something more serious, though.
>>
>>3397672
6 isn't my favorite per se but it was pretty damn good, yeah.
>>
>>3398562
The Final Fantasy Tactics games and the two Bravely Default games should scratch that itch fine.

Also Lightning Returns is kind of like a one-man job class FF in a loose sense.
>>
>>3398995
>physical evasion literally does not work
>Vanish/Doom exploit
>Relm's sketch glitch
>Wind God Gau
>Psycho Cyan

FF6 is still a great game but come on now
>>
>>3399028
I'm inclined to agree.
>>
>>3403885
this

japanese people can't write serious stories very well
>>
>>3394816
really it was only FFVI that got me invested in the plot from beginning to end

haven't finished V yet and one time when I stopped playing IV for a few days for work reasons I forgot everything that happened so far in it. I also had pause periods in VI but was able to grasp everything so far the second I picked it back up.
>>
>>3404504
That's easy to understand, there is almost no plot in VI. VI did more of what V did, characters with some drama plus flashbacks, but this time characters are more appealing and there are more of them.
>>
>>3404635
there was a plot
the plot was plucky band of rebels fighting an evil empire

It was just the plot wasn't all that complex as your typical FF-faire (that and it's a rip-off of Star Wars.
>>
>>3403904
Did the advance version fix all that? Only played the snes version. Love it despite the bugs though.
>>
>>3404772
any of that*
>>
>>3404635
>That's easy to understand, there is almost no plot in VI
Are you kidding? It had the most plot out of any of the SNES games.
>VI did more of what V did, characters with some drama plus flashbacks
So what you're saying is that it did more of having a plot than V did.
Flahsbacks, drama, and character development are still aspects of a plot.
>>
No. Shut the fuck up. The SNES Final Fantasy games are not your favorite. They are the most basic and stereotypical JRPG's possible.
>>
>>3404853
Yeah, go ahead tell me what to like for me.
>>
FF5 is the best game for /v/ ADHD autists. Literally the worst fucking game in the series.
>>
>>3404772
>>3404780
Yeah, but, there are also romhacks you can play that fix it as well.
>>
>>3404853
final fantasy is the seinfeld of JRPGs if you ask me
>>
>>3403904
>>Wind God Gau
>>Psycho Cyan

those two i am not aware of and i am currently playing the snes version. can someone explain?
>>
>>3396148
*tips fedora*
>>
>>3398983
>buggy mess
Wew lad
>>
>>3399029
Sure champ, sure. If that's the best you have, then piss off. Bethesda games, now there's a buggy mess.
>>
>>3405984
He's baiting, anon.
>>
File: baldur[1].png (316KB, 440x330px) Image search: [Google]
baldur[1].png
316KB, 440x330px
>>3404645
> the plot was plucky band of rebels fighting an evil empire

No shit, Mario has a plot too, a band of heroes fighting against an evil kingdom. When i say that there is no plot, i mean there happens nothing of interest.

>>3404790
> Flahsbacks, drama, and character development are still aspects of a plot.
But they are not the plot itself. I'll tell you how, over the time, my tastes in music changed, and then the story of little red ridding hood, guess which one has more plot.

Characters != Plot. Every WRPG have more plot than JRPG yet their character development is nonexistant
>>
>>3399219
>that bit where Gilgamesh is dragged into the void

He was the best bro ;w;
>>
>>3403594
Not that anon, but I like Mystic Quest. Not as good as FFV, but fun to play through while I'm drunk. Great music.
>>
>>3405994
Fuck off retard.
>>3405984
Wind God Gau isn't a bug but it is an extremely overpowered equipment combination. Tempest + Offering + Merit Award + rage Stray Cat + levels with magic power boosting Espers = Gau that wipes the floor with anything in the game. Fixed Dice in place of Tempest is stupidly broken, too.

Psycho Cyan is a glitch that allows Cyan to make an infinite number of counterattacks, which effectively instantly wins any fight.
>>
>>3406004
>When i say that there is no plot, i mean there happens nothing of interest.
So, since you don't like it the plot doesn't exist?
Fuck off already.
>Characters != Plot.
No you stupid pretentious troglodyte, that isn't the plot, what you're referring to is the scenario development which is a part of the plot, you're trying to tell people 90% of literature as we know it has no plot because characters are an integral part of the plot.
You're telling me everything Kafka and most of russian writers and people like Virginia Woolf did has no plot, you're fucking retarded and you should go back to grade school or /v/ where you belong.
The simple fact that characters exist and act the way the act in a work of fiction is an integral part of the plot, characters don't exist in their own separate bubble just like you don't, you are, unfortunately, a part of this world and its history, just like characters are part of fictional worlds and their stories' plot.
>Every WRPG have more plot than JRPG yet their character development is nonexistant
Bullshit again, WRPGs usually have more lore than scenario, that is the strawman WRPG neckbeards like to flail around when they say that western writers are better just because you have tons of pages about flavour stuff that never happens in the game and has barely any significance besides feeble worldbuilding.
Dragon Quest 7's script is bigger than any WRPGs' scripts besides maybe Planescape: Torment, most of the modern Legend of Heroes' games' scripts are written in literal bibles that make most WRPGs pale, the meme that WRPG have better writing or "plot" or character development than JRPG is the umpteenth misconception spread by ignorant, pretentious tryhards like you.

You're just as bad as those faggots who say FFVI is a buggy mess but conveniently forget all the gamebreaking bugs of FFV, because sure, let's make fun of FFVI when you can straight up walk beyond walls or fuck up any boss' script with chemists in FFV.
>>
>>3406032
>but conveniently forget all the gamebreaking bugs of FFV
You mean the ones that are not only much harder to trigger than VI's but are massively less impactful on top of that?
>>
File: 1293929312246[1].jpg (234KB, 821x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1293929312246[1].jpg
234KB, 821x1024px
>>3406032
> So, since you don't like it the plot doesn't exist? Fuck off already.
No, i merely stated that the events that take place in the story are so dull that, from the eyes of the objective player, nothing of interest can draw his attention. This is so evident (in comparison with, say, FF II), that when people discuss the game the always mention its characters, and hardly ever the plot, as if they got attached to them in spite of the incidents happening to them (which, as stated, are poor excuses to further introduce new characters. It is a character-driven game in every aspect).

> you're trying to tell people 90% of literature as we know it has no plot because characters are an integral part of the plot.

> reading for the plot
Pleb detected. And you mention Kafka, which always will be remembered for the things that happen to their characters (Amerika, The Castle), and russian literature which has always a fantastic plot (The Demons, War & Peace, The Captain's Daughter).

Yet, i'm not discussing that characters are not important. I was discussing about how dispensable was the plot in comparison with other FF entries. Just play FF II or FF IV, they at least try to drag you into the story.

> that is the strawman WRPG neckbeards like to flail around when they say that western writers are better just because you have tons of pages about flavour stuff that never happens in the game and has barely any significance besides feeble worldbuilding.

Which is funny because later you brag about DQ VII script length. WRPG puts more emphasis into the story, regardless or other aspects such as lore. Play Baldur's Gate, Ultima VII, Deus Ex, the list goes on. These games give the player compeling plot content that makes anyone interested in knowing what will happen next, whereas FF V, FF VI are just forgettable.
>muh opera.

But it is ok if you enjoyed the game. Sometimes, the absent of one feature is what drags players to play a game. Like no plot.
>>
>>3406042
>You mean the ones that are not only much harder to trigger than VI
You can break the game as soon as you get a chemist because its glitch overwrites any and all boss' scripts, including the scripted battle with Galuf and Exdeath, and if you do so in that battle you have to reset the game.
Ghido's cave glitch is the same, equip a chicken knife on a party of four berserkers, or better, give all of them one since you can duplicate items effortlessly and have fun losing the next battle you trigger, let's not talk about the Ancient Library chain of glitches because that would take way too long.

So no, they aren't any harder than the average glitch to trigger and they're hardly less impactful consider some of them are the exactly same bugs found in FFVI, but keep telling yourself that.
>>
>>3394764
V is the worst FF game.
>>
>>3406058
>No, i merely stated that the events that take place in the story are so dull that, from the eyes of the objective player, nothing of interest can draw his attention.
And that's your own hot opinion, who gives a shit?
>when people discuss the game the always mention its characters, and hardly ever the plot
Again with this? You really can't understand that plot=/=scenario do you?
And let me tell you, all literature is like that, people don't sure remember the Iliad, Gilgamesh' Epic or Crime and Punishment for their stories, they remember them for Achilles, Gilgamesh and Raskolnikov, same reason as to why people go to see James Bond movies, they don't go for the scenario, they go for Bond.
>which always will be remembered for the things that happen to their characters
Last time I checked people remember Kafka because of their character's personalities and story, not the premise of the books.
>and russian literature which has always a fantastic plot
The plot of russian literature is almost completely in function of their character, see Oblomov, when there are exceptions it is in the case of books with a more social nature like The Master and Margarita.
>Just play FF II or FF IV, they at least try to drag you into the story.
>These games give the player compeling plot content that makes anyone interested in knowing what will happen next
Hot opinion, and this comes from someone who doesn't play or read for the scenario.
I was bored to tears when I was a kid while playing BG, the only thing that kept me going was party banter, especially with Minsc because the actual game scenario didn't go anywhere, same thing with a lot of other games like the TES, Gothic, Ultima, Wizardry and whatever, they aren't any different from any other RPG, they all have the same two or three plot premises, the same narrative tricks, the same boring and old devices, and you know that's totally fine because humans have been writing that kind of shit since millennias.
>>
>>3406073
You typed V when you should have typed VII, anon.
>>
>>3406081
> And that's your own hot opinion, who gives a shit?
So, almost no event that comfront what the player knows, that puts in danger the conceptions of what the characters believe or their integrity is 'hot opinion' right?. Ok then, you are putting at the same level a plain plot as others that put more effort into the plot. It is you the one claimming his opinion is good enough to make a grey and lifeless story as good as others that provide with actual content.

> Again with this? You really can't understand that plot=/=scenario do you?
No, is you the one that keeps thinking characters == plot. And i remaining you that it is not.
> Iliad, Gilgamesh' Epic
A good example of plots that challenges the reader, that makes him interesting in knowing what will happen because of how they affect to the characters. The same with James Bond
> Crime and Punishment
Shitty plot. Muh Napoleon was wrong and i regret it. But C&P is in another level, since good literature is not only about the plot, they actually makes you think. And even in C&P there actually happen events that challenges what the character knows and his thinking. Whereas the only turn in the plot in FF VI is just the event that leads the world into a ruin.
> The plot of russian literature is almost completely in function of their character, see Oblomov, when there are exceptions it is in the case of books with a more social nature like The Master and Margarita.
And yet it is not at the same level plot-wise with Les Miserables or Count of Montecristo. Because when it comes to literature, plot is not everything. This also happens in videogames anon, one can enjoy FF VI in spite of his boring plot, but that would not work in IV which is all about the plot.
> I was bored to tears when I was a kid while playing BG, the only thing that kept me going was party banter
Then you dont like long games, which tells nothing about the plot (except more space for exposition).
>>
>>3406028
ah, thx now i get it. i did notice, that stray cat is weirdly op as is already but i try to refrain from checking shit online as much as possible because i missed out on playing VI before internet walkthroughs and wikias. i was wondering, if the stupid moogle was bugging because all it ever does is to fall on its stupid face
>>
>>3394764
I don't know about best, but my favourite SNES FF is IV by far because it's the least grindy and best paced of the three
sorry to anyone who liked VI but
>bloated cast
>character fetchquest
>story dies in order for the characters to get some development
>due to the non linear nature of the WoR, the party never feels like a team
>villain disappears and waits for you to kick his ass
>too many party split ups

if it weren't for the party split up in the final dungeon I would've grinded the first four characters you get and finished the game
V was just boring all around, If I want to play a good job based FF, I'll play FFT
Best FF overall? idk, I like IV, VII, IX, X and Tactics equally
>>
>>3406179
Your criticism of VI is absolutely justified, I still like the game.

>X

Is imo just a shit anime that you ever so often can take control of. I hate the protagonist and many of the party with passion, still I wasted countless hours on it as a kid
>>
>>3406182
my main gripe with X was that there was no flying around in an airship
what a letdown
>>
>>3405458
>good games are for ADHD autists
>>
>>3394764
No. It's the worst actually followed by IX. By far the most boring FF's. And I've played the entire series and all the spin-offs. It's my favorite series bar none.
>>
>>3396914
Pretty much.
Combining abilities is awesome.
>>
>>3399564
Fucking this. The FF series as a whole before 10 is mediocre at best. There are almost countless other rpgs from the time period that were better in almost every way, many of which were from the same company. The only thing FF really excells in is music and world building, and a few characters here and there. The stories are mostly lame, the gameplay other than a few of the job systems is archaic and boring, and most of the characters are either retarded or just barely there at all. I always wonder how you people could grow up gaming and never touch a Tales of game, wild arms, vagrant story, etc.

The one exception to this is FFT, that shit is golden.
>>
>>3408074
Really? How does that not apply to FF's after 9?
>>
File: ffv.jpg (249KB, 865x747px) Image search: [Google]
ffv.jpg
249KB, 865x747px
>>
>>3408224
Because the FFs after 9 are movies and MMOs.
>>
>>3408074
>The FF series as a whole before 10 is mediocre at best.
That's funny because FF1, 3, and 5 are some of the best RPGs on their respective systems.
>>
12 is honestly
but out of the retro games, I'd honestly say 7.
1 has a lot of flaws but I feel its pretty solid even by today's standards
2 is broken
3 is pretty solid too but not spectacular
4 is the first game that led FF down the path that gave us FF13. Linear, melodramatic story, shallow gameplay
Havent played 5 but i hear its arguably the best.
6 is pretty good but i hate the story and the world design, a lot of the character are really gimmicky and feel viable on a meta level
7 is the second best FF. THe materia system si really good and allows for customization while being streamlined, game has a fun story, unlike ff4's tryhard drama, and it has a lot of optional content that remains available at the end game
8 has a lame story that goes back to 4's bad try hard drama but I like the junctioning system. The "Draw" system needed a redesign
9 is pretty solid but, like 3, isnt spectacular. Pretty good story too.
>>
>>3408225
>one of the most convoluted character development systems ever conceived

triggered

what a fucking retard
>>
>>3408920
That's because nobody knew or gave a fuck about other RPGs.
>>
File: FFII_PSP_Logo.jpg (95KB, 583x258px) Image search: [Google]
FFII_PSP_Logo.jpg
95KB, 583x258px
Is it really that bad?
>>
>>3408938
>read through a long negative post about his favorite casual game
>cherry-picks one half-hearted sentence
>DURR OPINION INVALID

Who's the fucking retard? It's a fucking "lol it's bad" review, what do you expect?

The battle system is all ff5 has and it's literally endless grind. Big fucking whoop when the only interesting boss is gilgamesh. The only time i did the grind through all the jobs i was rewarded with the most boring game in existence. At least in ff3 i just had to get through places.

If you want a good battle system and skill learning system play Grandia or ff7. If you REALLY love your job system, even ff10-2 has a better story and dungeon design.
>>
>>3408948
Yeah. Balance issues up the wazoo, several spells are utterly useless or don't work properly (Ultima), and the blood sword makes the entire game a joke
>>
>>3394826
>>3396195

The bait and switch was a major point to the themes of FF4.

Why would a plot about redemption be punctuated by bloody revenge?

You're supposed to hate Kain for betraying you.
You're supposed to hate Golbez for being a Darth Vader dick.
but hating and murdering people is what a Dark Knight Cecil would do.

The whole point is that hate is a powerful, twisting and manipulative alien force that works you against your own interests.

Hell, in a game so black & white about its hate/love dark/light themes you literally kill an avatar of hate with your best friend while holding love powered weapons.
>>
>>3399028
Final Fantasy 14
>>
>>3408931

Honestly, most of the FF's are pretty terrible. The only really good ones are the ones that are paced well, which is why FF7 is so widely regarded. You're constantly doing interesting stuff, and it never feels like a slog.
>>
>>3409330
Could've fooled me. All of FF7's combat felt like a slog because it was so brainless and easy.
>>
the encounter sound in the GBA version of FFIV is so fucking obnoxious holy shit

i wish someone would hack that out
>>
>>3408938
this is why the game never came out in america

its because of people like this
>>
>>3409256
I can get behind this. I don't think IV plays well at all and barely holds up anymore. But the story is very fine for its day and has some strong themes going for it, like this whole redemption thing.
>>
I've only ever played VIII and I love it
>>
>>3406073
V is decent at best. A good game, since the worst one I found was the 8th.
>>
FFV and FFIII are the only final fantasies I've never beaten (well excluding the mmos and xiii). I like job based games and character customization, FFT is my favorite of all time and the job system in it is a huge part of that.

But FFV was BORING. The characters are completely unimportant and the plot and pursuant questing was like a downgraded version of the original FF. Horrible game.
>>
>>3408948
NES one? yeah, it's pretty tedious
would've finished it if it didn't take 50 casts to level up a spell, or if black mages had a 0 MP option other than Attack (which has a chance of lowering their intelligence), a game for masochists

The GBA version is much better and an actually good game
didn't care for the artstyle in the PSP version although it has more content
>>
>>3409616
>The GBA version is much better and an actually good game
shame it's attached to the worst version of FF1
>>
>>3409489
The only FF4 version I can tolerate anymore is the DS version.
>>
>>3399695
Max thief first because you get permanent attack speed bonus from that as freelancer. Then you can fuck around with whatever else you want. Archer/Ranger or Red Mage are worth maxing(X-Fight and X-Magic, relatively) but not required.
>>
I really liked it. I thought it has the best job system implemented in any Final Fantasy game (the only game that does it better is Bravely Default, which technically isn't FF), and the setting/premise was really interesting.
>>
>>3409564
>huge variety of equipment and unlike VI a ton of it is actually useful, endgame gear isn't a single set of gear but actually several depending on what jobs you've been focusing on
>boring
>job system allows for tons of replayability and customization and things like Four Job Fiesta but the game is still difficult enough to justify its use
>boring
>some of the best boss fights in the series, most of which have several strategies to get through them because unlike every fucking game after it status effects are useful
>boring
>game's pacing is on point and the dungeon variety is yet again some of the best up to that point
>boring
I don't think you played V.
>>
File: 54103999_p1_master1200.jpg (687KB, 1200x907px) Image search: [Google]
54103999_p1_master1200.jpg
687KB, 1200x907px
>>
>>3408948
I really fucking like FF2, actually. I never played the NES version like I did for 1 and 3, but going off the GBA version I'd say its the best of the NES games.

The Emperor is a severely underrated villain, too.
>>
>>3412085
They're radically different in how they handle the growth system. It's important to keep that in mind when talking about both of them. I'd say give it a shot and reconsider that statement.
>>
>>3412101
Does it have the awful "targeting dead enemies" shit from the NES version of FF1?
>>
>>3412109
>"Waaaah i can't just mash attack and not think about my moves"
>>
>>3412112
Shave your neckbeard, "purist" hipster trash. That shit wasn't fun when I was a kid and it really isn't fun now when I don't have endless free time.
>>
>>3412109
Yes. It was an intentional design decision, not a bug, contrary to popular belief.
>>
>>3412101
>They're radically different in how they handle the growth system.

How so? I thought it was just set to level stats and abilities faster and remove the part where they degrade if you're not using them.
>>
>>3394764
One word: Gilgamesh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0JnXdfoYpY
Thread posts: 204
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.