[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Great Debate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 12

File: smb1-4.jpg (256KB, 512x464px) Image search: [Google]
smb1-4.jpg
256KB, 512x464px
What is the best retro 2D Super Mario game of all time?
>>
Yoshi's Story
>>
Yoshi's Island
>>
>>3394746

Lost Levels
>>
Somari.
>>
>>3394746
My personal favorite is 3, preferably the SMAS version. SMW has a richer gameplay in general, but I feel like SMB3 controls better. I'm not a fan of the setting and graphical aesthetics of SMW either.
>>
>>3394838
IMO 3 is by far the best.
First person who mentions nostalgia gets lynched.
>>
It's a tie between 3 and World.
>>
SMB2. The real one, not USA.
>>
>>3394746
Super Mario Land 2.
>>
>>3394759
I'm amazed I got to World-7 as a nine year old.

That shit with the trampolines and wind was unfair.
>>
>>3394854
This. Nailed it.
>>
world is best 2D, 2 is the best NES mario
>>
1, 3 and World are great platformers but 2 is comfy.
>>
I enjoy World the most, but I think 3 has some better design choices (though not my preference) regarding the layout of levels, pacing, and platforming mechanics that I appreciate.

I like the graphics, music, and the less slippery controls of world, but I think the gameplay in 3 is superior. If I had to pick, I would say World would be my favorite, but mainly because it's what I had the most experience with.
>>
File: wario-boshi.png (243KB, 532x616px) Image search: [Google]
wario-boshi.png
243KB, 532x616px
>>3394746
Gameplay: SMB3
Level designs: SMB1
Music: SMW
Aesthetics: SMB3
Character designs: SMB2, especially the boss fights
Hacking: SMB3. Mario Adventure is a goddamn masterpiece.

Overall: SMB3 > SMB1 > SMW > SMB2
>>
smb3 is the best
the nes version, specifically
>>
World has the best mechanics. I feel like it loses appeal for weaker aesthetics though. Still my favorite however.
>>
>>3395289
>World has the best mechanics

Sure, if you have a hard-on for floaty Mario controls and OP shit like the cape and Blue Yoshi.
>>
Super Mario World
>>
>>3395312

>Blue Yoshi
>not the beast that is Yellow Yoshi

Anyway, I'm sure he means more advanced mechanics like spinjumping and the throw mechanics.

There's a reason why SMW is the epicenter of Mario romhacking, and that's its physics.
SMB3 is still good on its own right, though. It has great physics as well, but you can't do as many crazy shit as you can on World.

As for the aesthetics, I guess that's more subjective but I personally adore SMW's art style the most.
>>
>>3394746
Super Mario Land 2.
>>
Super mario land 2
>>
>>3394746
SMAS version of 1.

>>3394879
Oh, you mean the rom hack.
>>
>>3395482
Both SMB2's are romhacks, though.

SMB2U = romhack of DDP
SMB2J = romhack of SMB
>>
>>3395573
>SMB2J = romhack of SMB
nonono, it's a mappack
>>
>>3395583
There's some new stuff too though, like poison mushrooms, wind physics, and Luigi.
>>
File: thumb01.jpg (156KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
thumb01.jpg
156KB, 500x667px
Why the fuck do so many people actually defend SMB2 JAP and absolutely shit on SMB2 USA? JAP is literally a bullshit hack sold to idiots and USA is a actually quality, while different, platformer. I'm sick of people saying USA is shit.

As for my favorite probably 3, world is just barely beaten. World is definitely more of a "pick up and play" game but overall I just like 3 better. My biggest problem with world is I wish it had more variety and difficulty, still a great game.

Also SMB3 has probably my favorite commercial for any game ever.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DUnYQ76X_Ak
>>
>>3395251
>less slippery controls of world

3 has less slippery controls than World, though. (But neither of them are significantly slippery, e.g. to the point of being uncomfortable).
>>
>>3395648
>Why the fuck do so many people actually defend SMB2 JAP and absolutely shit on SMB2 USA? JAP is literally a bullshit hack sold to idiots and USA is a actually quality, while different, platformer. I'm sick of people saying USA is shit.

Um....I don't know how to break this to you....but they're both hacks, actually.
>>
>>3395324
>There's a reason why SMW is the epicenter of Mario romhacking, and that's its physics.

Uh, no. The reason why SMW is the epicenter if Mario romhacking is that Lunar Magic came out long before any decent Mario 3 editors did.

3 is the better game. It's harder, it has more variety, and you can't cheese every single level with the cape - P wings were much harder to come by and only lasted a single level.
>>
>>3395657
SMB2 is just doki doki panic with some new sprites, still a original game. SMB2 JAP is just SMB1 with some new levels, only the poison mushroom being new.
>>
>>3395648
Because USA doesn't play at all like Mario, whereas SMB2 is a decent, if unoriginal follow-up to SMB.
>>
>>3395648
>people actually defend SMB2 JAP

They probably like challenge. Of all the (official) retro Mario platformers, SMB2 JAP is the hardest.

>absolutely shit on SMB2 USA

I've honestly never seen someone here (unironically) shitting on that game. Usually people just don't mention it because it's too different from the others (not a bad thing, but makes it hard for comparisons).
>>
>>3395649
>3 has less slippery controls than World, though.
I always thought 3 had more slippery controls. This can be seen especially with changing direction when running at full speed. Do the same with both games and compare the two, and maybe you'll see what I mean.

>>3395648
This I agree with. I think Super Mario Bros. 2 USA is a great game, far superior than Lost Levels.

I also agree with your opinion on World being a "pick up and play" game. World I can easily just start up a new file, play for a bit and save, or even beat it within an hour or so. With 3, it takes more of an investment from me to play it because of it's greater difficulty and lack of save system (unless referring to the All-Stars version, but in my opinion having the save feature affects the pacing, it just feels much better when played in a single run/sitting).

Overall, I think 3 is the better game, but I have an affinity with World.
>>
>>3395701
>I always thought 3 had more slippery controls. This can be seen especially with changing direction when running at full speed. Do the same with both games and compare the two, and maybe you'll see what I mean.

I just did that and, albeit I didn't notice much difference between the two, I get your point.

However, when I mentioned 3 had less slippery controls I was referring mostly to the momentum you gain when you do a jump. It makes the controls feel a lot more imprecise on World as it builds faster on that game and you end up having to press the opposite direction on the d-pad when it builds unexpectedly fast. This is kind of an issue when precise platforming is required which is the case here.
>>
>>3395681

I played the shit out of World and All-Stars and 2 was by far my least favorite of the games by a country mile.

The seams of it being a romhack were far too obvious. I hated the multiple hit-points, and the whole "make mario small with one hit point left" just made me roll my eyes. Also, digging up a mushroom to give yourself an extra heart, even if you were big mario....that's not how mushrooms work, damnit! And they had the nerve to put koopa shells that you could dig up...in a game with no actual koopas in it. Fucking hell.

Even if it was called something else, I simply didn't enjoy it as a game. The platforming was too floaty and imprecise, leading to bullshit heart losses and deaths because your character slipped. The levels themselves were too long and arduous to be enjoyable, and some of the later ones were gigantic fucking unfun mazes.

I could go the rest of my life without playing 2 ever again, thank you.
>>
File: 250px-SMBDX_Boxart.png (141KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-SMBDX_Boxart.png
141KB, 250x250px
>>
>>3395723
>I was referring mostly to the momentum you gain when you do a jump
That's understandable. You bring up a good point with how 3 gradually builds up speed with the P Meter whereas World sort of snaps to running when you build up enough momentum.

Though as you originally stated, neither of the two games' controls are slippery or off in their momentum to the point of being uncomfortable. That said, 3 is the better game regarding smooth, precise platforming, which is what I believe most people are looking for, in regards to the series.
>>
>>3394746
3 hands down brother.
>>
>>3394746
You don't have to believe it yourself, but I would love to hear someone make the argument for #2
>>
>>3394853
>nostalgia
No better way in the world to spot reddit.

>I like *insert something older than other thing
>"WHAT YOU FUKIN NOSTALGIAFAGGOT FUK YOU XBONE IS THE BEST CONSOL EVER MAED
every fucking time

That being said SMW is best.

If only Super Mario World on GBA wasn't so casualized because it had some things that ALMOST made it superior to the SNES version, but it's not since it's so fucking nerfed.
>Luigi has his own distinct controls and isn't a Mario clone
>both Mario and Luigi talk (OOOH, JUST WHAT I NEEDED! LUIGI TIME, etc.)
>>
>>3395665

>Uh, no.
>if
>>
3 > 2U > 1 = 2J > World
>>
Well, Super Mario Bros. 2 has won GOTY 5 years in a row.
>>
Super Mario World is my favorite, but I'm biased due to nostalgia. That was my first gaming memory, I'd play the shit out of that game with my older sister.

I think objectively though, 3 might be the best. For it's time, it was just a revolutionary game.
>>
File: 798.png (306KB, 593x540px) Image search: [Google]
798.png
306KB, 593x540px
Wario Land - Super Mario Land 3.
>>
File: whisper.png (428KB, 890x773px) Image search: [Google]
whisper.png
428KB, 890x773px
If you haven't beaten SMB1 without warps, cheats or save states, you don't deserve to post on /vr/.
>>
SMB3, the SMAS version.
>>
>>3395740
I hated the fact that this didn't have all levels of japanese SMB2/Lost Levels. World 9 and A-D were missing.
>>
>>3396587

This.
>>
File: great_giana_sisters_09.png (2KB, 320x256px) Image search: [Google]
great_giana_sisters_09.png
2KB, 320x256px
hehe
>>
>>3395768
Reddit loved Wii fit, Wii fit isn't even a game.
>>
>>3397001
oh shit nigger I used to play that all the time
>>
>>3395840
is your only counterargument that he got a keystroke wrong?
>>
>>3396714
Oh I was relying on SMB:D to be both games for me because I hate the SNES graphics from All Stars on SMB and SMB:LL
>>
>>3397674

Not him/her, but the "Uh, no" was pretty gay.
>>
All of them.
>>
Does anyone else feel in this day and age SMB1, the actual game, is understated?

I know most acknowledge it's influence and importance but I feel no one today really talks or plays it. It's an amazing game and seriously still in my opinion one of the greatest 2d platformers ever made.
>>
>>3397704
I agree with you, and man oh man do I love that coverart. What did we get, mario about to die after slamming into a wall.
>>
File: 1468796285584.jpg (42KB, 500x384px) Image search: [Google]
1468796285584.jpg
42KB, 500x384px
>>3397704
To be honest, while SMB is a very special game, with more attractive games like Super Mario Bros. 3, World or even Doki Doki Bros. USA around, I don't feel like playing it.
>>
>>3397680
It's even gayer to shitpost instead of giving a counterargument.
>>
>>3397704
Agreed with >>3397741 , the fact that it's a launch title becomes super obvious once you're familiar with the NES' capabilities. You can tell Nintendo themselves still had a ways to go to figure out how to get the best of the system, which I think is super cool. You can see how clever developers got and how quickly technology changes just by comparing SMB1 to 3; even then a lot of third parties pushed the system leaps and bounds beyond SMB1, like Recca and Kickmaster.

SMB1 still plays wonderfully, it's just not as appealing or attractive as much as it was influential.
>>
SMB3 had more interesting and varied individual levels, and had way more powerups. It also introduced the series to the overworld map, and the controls are probably a bit tighter than World.

SMW had less variety in levels, but the world design was a little better as actions in one place had impact elsewhere. It also introduced the series to multiple exits (and had a whole area where the player was forced to find the alternative exit to progress).

Both were equally important for the series. I'd say the design of SMW takes it but it's probably a tie based in what you prefer - more interesting levels or the more interesting overworld map.
>>
>>3394746
I like the GBA versions more than the NES or SNES versions.
>>
>>3394746
>Not including Super Mario World 2 in the image
That butt-hurt?
>>
>>3395268
just tried out Adventure
am convinced of your assessment.
>>
>>3397886
>>3397674

The counter argument for what? That 3 is better than World or vice versa? Fuck if I care, I like both pretty much about the same.

I still think a majority of people prefer SMW simply because of the physics. Which is why a level editor for SMW came first, it's what people were interested in the most, and it shows even still today.
>>
>>3397989
Its a yoshi game fuckstik
>>
>>3398210
Why dont you suck the sloppy end of my fuckstick
>>
>>3397704
It's a good game, I enjoy it, but I played it way too much. And it got super tedious after a while. It doesn't change much throughout the game, different environments, more/harder enemies, wider jumps, more tricky parts, and a difficulty increase that comes with all that. By world 4 I realized I wasn't even having fun, I knew the game too well, I hit a warp zone and rushed through the last castle. One of the things that keep me interested in games is the challenge, and the challenge is gone for me.

I think a lot of people have that issue, it's probably the most common game, I never seen someone with an nes that doesn't have at least one copy(at 1 point I had 6, 2 regular, 3 with duck hunt, 1 with duck hunt and some Olympic style sports game). I doubt there's anyone with an nes that's never played it.

And 3 plays very similar, looks nicer, and has more things going on. I can still play 3 and enjoy it thoroughly.
>>
>>3394879
>SMB2. The real one, not USA.
SMB2 USA is just a mistake that should be forgotten
>>
>>3394750
>Yoshi's Island
you sik fuc
>>
>>3398292
Except USA is better then JAP.
>>
SMB1. Nothing else in the series compares to the polish of its level design, or the real feeling of tension you get from the risk of losing all your progress in the game when you run out of lives.
>>
>>3398392
Wrong
>>
File: 1462491364170.gif (128KB, 705x1308px) Image search: [Google]
1462491364170.gif
128KB, 705x1308px
Why are people obsessed with ranking things linearly? It's so myopic. The games are fun and well executed, that is all there is to say.
>>
>>3398210
>It's a Mario game
Fixed that for you.
>>
>>3395671
Nah SMB 2 looks waaaay better than Doki Doki Panic
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.