[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rest in Peace the series that 50% of Nintendo employees don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

File: Startropics_box.jpg (78KB, 350x494px) Image search: [Google]
Startropics_box.jpg
78KB, 350x494px
Rest in Peace the series that 50% of Nintendo employees don't even know what this is
>>
It's not even that great
>>
>>3394080
True, its incredibly average at best. I just have nostalgia for this game cause it was one of the First NES games I played. I bring up to see if people know what I'm talking about
>>
>>3394080
>play it for the first time
>jump into next screen
>fall in water and die
>all because i went to the next screen on the left instead of the right

Shining example of shit game design
>>
>>3394089
i played for a bit but got stuck in an area where there's no way to advance and no intuitive way to find out how to, so i quit
>>
>>3394089
I still don't know why they did that, Nintendo has basically never put that into a game except for here.

I like the game, it has charm, and the combat is kind of fun. Music is good too. It hits most of my buttons, so I enjoy it.

I also love how the Wii virtual console release included a virtual piece of paper to dip into a virtual glass of water to obtain the secret codes.
>>
>>3394485
it's what entirely killed all motivation to play the game for me. I got past where the sub crashed and broke. The main flaws before then were feeling like you take just a little too much damage, hearts being super rare, and being locked to a grid for movement.

I'd be able to overlook the first two, but the lock onto a grid really throws me off, especially after all those times playing Zelda 1, and the instadeath traps just come off as cheap and downright hostile to the player
>>
>>3394089
Let's not forget about the progress-dependent passwords which were found on the paper letter which had to be run under water to reveal.
>>
>>3394607
They added free movement in the sequel, it somehow made the jumping physics feel a lot worse.
>>
>>3394808
I wasn't a fan of the whole hopping on tiles mechanic in the slightest
>>
>>3394808
The free movement was a late addition. The prototype version has the same movement as the original.
You can especially see this with the enemies who were never programmed with the free movement and instead are restricted to the up,left,down,right directions only.
>>
>>3394089
>>3394485
Yeah that kind of thing seems most un-Nintendo-like.
>>
File: ch3-magmasmoltentunnel.gif (214KB, 1539x2080px) Image search: [Google]
ch3-magmasmoltentunnel.gif
214KB, 1539x2080px
>>3394089
Pic related is what i was talking about, look at that vertical red room.

>>3394867
It's a real letdown too, because until this point the game was a little fun despite all the flaws. That just killed my motivation entirely. It's like in Mario romhacks where you hit the goal and something after it kills you while you're in the little victory walk. Only difference is when they do that it's in hacks that are made to be bullshit.

It feels like some company that wasn't Nintendo made this, and Nintendo bought the game off of them.
>>
>>3394880
On a similar note when I first played MGS and got to Sniper Wolf but didn't come across the rifle on the way, I remember thinking "you'd never get this bullshit on a Nintendo game".

Or a Konami one, for that matter. It annoyed me.
>>
>>3394880
Your not entirely wrong. It was developed in the US for the US market and still to this day has never seen a Japanese release (even on VC).
>>
>>3394880

git gud: the post. that part isn't even hard and is nothing like a kaizo Mario hack.

>>3394957
>It was developed in the US

no it wasn't
>>
>>3395425
>git gud from a cheap unfair death

Blind jumps are bad game design
>>
>>3394880
>>3395431
What blind jump are you talking about here?
>>
>>3395882
Look at the vertical room filled with lava, and two tile paths, one on the left, one on the right.

That's three screens long, and the very last one on the left side appears right on the very edge of the screen. Simply put, it looks exactly like the other side, but if you jump towards that tile?

>jump towards it
>screen scrolls
>you fall in the lava and die
>>
>>3395431
>Blind jumps are bad game design
I disagree.
>>
File: are you fucking stupid.png (33KB, 233x581px) Image search: [Google]
are you fucking stupid.png
33KB, 233x581px
>>3395890
Are you stupid or something?
>>
>>3395906
The screen scrolls in one jump like Zelda and doesn't scroll until you.make the jump. That's why he said it was blind
>>
File: Untitled.png (19KB, 255x365px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
19KB, 255x365px
>>3395906
The black line is the screen transition. Note how if you look below the line, it looks perfectly safe.
>>
>>3395923
Also, you don't jump on the tile, you jump towards it, the screen scrolls, you float right over it, and you land a few tiles in.
>>
>>3394852
>The prototype version

Oh? Is there one that's been documented? I love these games and would be interested in this.
>>
For anyone interested in this style of game (overhead action platformers), I'd suggest trying Ai Senshi Nicol for the FDS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lr4Vf3upHk
>>
I remember liking this game enough to beat it, but there's no way in hell I'd ever play it again.

Its clunkiness takes a while to get used to and it remains frustrating the whole way through.
>>
>>3394957
It would have been fun to watch Arino play.
>>
>>3395425
>no it wasn't
Yes, it was. If you'd like to argue semantics, it was developed by Japanese devs, but they were in the employ of NoA, and in the United States, for the development of the game.
>>
>>3395431
>have two paths to choose from
>choose wrong one, die
>choose right one, live

>"Waahhh, this games has shitty design!!!"

No, you're just a whiny bitch.
>>
>>3396589
That's not challenge, it's fake difficulty if ever i've seen it
>>
>>3396589
The only argument I'll make is that you don't get penalized too bad for dying.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.