[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/CRT/ Thread : Victory edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 513
Thread images: 129

File: P_20160730_091940-.jpg (4MB, 4096x3072px) Image search: [Google]
P_20160730_091940-.jpg
4MB, 4096x3072px
Previous thread >>3380620
This thread is for the spirited discussion of CRT displays - Televisions, monitors and projectors used for the playing of retro games!

>Try to keep it /vr/-related: Nothing past 5th gen(+Dreamcast). Slight OT might be okay if related to CRTs (E.G. 16:9 compatible models, flatscreens, etc.) Systems with backwards compatibility are also pretty safe territory, assuming you're focusing on the older games. PC CRTs are also a-ok.
>Produce OC! Get out your real cameras and take beautiful pictures of your CRTs displaying recognizable characters with the kind of beautiful accuracy that brings tears to the eyes of young and old alike! If you take 100 photos, at least one of them will turn out alright! (maybe)
>Try to be as detailed as possible when asking info on a specific model. As always, google is your friend, and we are your friends with benefits. Older archived threads aren't a bad place to look either.
>Share appreciation for others choice of technology and personal philosophy of gaming. As always show courtesy in your discussion and moderate yourselves first.

Discussion of video processing and scaling devices is okay, but try to keep the focus on CRTs and CRT accessories

CRT Pastebin (WIP): http://pastebin.com/1Ri5TS3x
An Anon's Guide to CRT Hunting: http://pastebin.com/H9H9L2LQ
S-Video Pasta: http://pastebin.com/rH2h6C7W
BKM-10R Protocol Information: http://pastebin.com/aTUWf33J
Thread Survey: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1PhdXJYwA8xModrTV1Yt-i1tvNgwiagpeBx0m_xNIVtc/viewform?edit_requested=true&fbzx=9009823977812318933
>>
File: image.png (276KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
276KB, 750x1334px
How good is pic related? Would it mostly he used for 6th gen gaming? I think it uses a 15 pin d-sub connector.
>>
File: NO_SCART.png (64KB, 1262x1262px) Image search: [Google]
NO_SCART.png
64KB, 1262x1262px
Remember not to fall for the scart meme.
>>
File: 00W0W_73wtCfr5QWh_600x450.jpg (20KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
00W0W_73wtCfr5QWh_600x450.jpg
20KB, 600x450px
Can I get a model number on this?
All I know is its made by Sanyo and its 27 inches
found it on craigslist and I'm considering getting it
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
I picked up this HR Trinitron for fifty bucks. Did I do good? Also is s-video the best option for my Wii?
>>
>>3393993
>Also is s-video the best option for my Wii?
RGB or Component
>>
>>3393961
FP912 would be pretty damn good, but getting a hold of the FP2141 would be amazing.

Either of them would honestly be over kill for anything 6th gen. Not making use of the latter's available refresh and resolutions(matching the last thread's OP, FW900 for refresh rate and going even further beyond for technical resolutions+refresh combinations)
Dreamcast would be stupidly sharp with its VGA cable.
Xbox would need either a transcoder or I believe it's possibly to get VGA or at least RGsB out of it via modding.
PS2 has RGsB available for 480p+ stuff.
Gamecube would need the expensive component cables and either a transcoder or for you to mod them for RGBHV.

You'd need to be able to get them into progressive scan/480p+ mode before either monitor would be able to display anything.

The FP2141 would support RGsB by default for the PS2 and possibly the Xbox, but for the 912 you'd need a sync processor to extract sync from the Green video line and put it off on its own, either as a composite sync or separate H and V sync.
>>
>>3393969
Is there any other way to connect a screen to RGB unless it's a PVM?
>>
File: 1469684037674[1].png (16KB, 865x692px) Image search: [Google]
1469684037674[1].png
16KB, 865x692px
My PC crt has lines like this running through it
very noticeable on gray images and backgrounds

The VGA connector is a little rusty, could that be why?

The lines arent black im not really sure how to explain it
>>
>>3394116
soldering your own cables :)
he advocates that.
>>
Anyone with a SCART RGB SNES cable here? Can you try it on an N64? Does it still carry composite?
>>
>>3394207
Why would you use SCART if you just want to use Composite?
>>
>>3394217
I need it for a friend, he wants to buy a SNES RGB cable and also use it for his N64 (which doesn't have RGB out of the box).
>>
>>3394190
screen door effect? is the corners of the image closer than the sides?convergence is fucked up, usually means it was dropped or the PSU is failing. you can do a quick fix by recalibrating the coils but how well that will work and for how long is another thing.

also you can just try deguassing it, might fix it.
>>
>>3393993
get component cables and learn how to launch your virtual console games in 240p or your emulator in 240p video settings.

good looking tube though
>>
File: streaks.jpg (851KB, 3264x1836px)
streaks.jpg
851KB, 3264x1836px
>>3394307
Nah the convergence is ok and geometry is fine

Ive seen someone here with the problem on a composite consumer set, but dont remember the answer they got

The image is out of focus because i couldnt capture it in focus

still didnt capture it very well

faint zebra-ish streaks running in
>>
>>3394346
image sideways
also its huge so back up a little to see it easier
>>
>>3394002
Sounds like a hell of a lot of work and to not even play anything retro!
>>
>>3393957
DON'T FELL FOR THE CRT MEME
>>
>>3394207
Most do, unless specifically wired to use csync (rare)
>>
File: IMG_4703s.jpg (1MB, 1920x1280px)
IMG_4703s.jpg
1MB, 1920x1280px
So some updates on muh PVM 9L2. RGB is working but has some issues.

The termination is weird, it's directly before the gun driver circuitry(drives the base of a transistor that switches the 120V). I don't think its a standard RGB signal, it has a 0-5VDC digital clock on each color channel, with the analog RGB image 0.7VDC on top of that. Just putting the Saturns signal in directly works but whites become red if they cover a large area of the screen. Also terminating to 75Ohms will blank the display, this link is very high impedance.

Whats more is the sync is not very reliable. I'm using the composite out, when its in the composite socket I get a clean sync but a double image since its showing both inputs. Putting it in the external sync port it jumps around and has interference throughout the frame.
>>
>>3394648
Don't tell me you fucking with the RGB output that goes to the neckboard. This is never a good idea unless you want to risk damaging both device and monitor.
Other than that, did the RGB/LINE pin do anything?
I had the SCART RGB blanking pin on my mind when I read that name, so maybe a high logic signal enables the RGB input and blanks the composite input.
Also did you followed where the traces from the unpopulated pin header go or does the PCB have more than 2 layers?
>>
>>3394760
PCB is two layers with internal power and ground plane. This is pre-neckboard, its past the video processor because none of the front controls do anything except the brightness. Like i said, it does have a RGB signal, but also some current control from what I can guess.

The LINE pin does nothing, pulling it to +5 or to ground. It also looks like some resistors are missing around that input which are most likely the termination ones. I'll plot it out with the meter in a bit, waiting for service manual to download.
>>
>>3393998
>>3394332
Thanks for the advice, friends. I already had a component cable but need to pick up bnc adapters. I will post a photo after changing it out!
>>
>>3394798
>its past the video processor because none of the front controls do anything except the brightness.
That kinda sucks. You want to adjust contrast too.
>but also some current control from what I can guess.
This beam cutoff current measurement is standard in "modern" CRTs, it's supposed to to protect the RGB transistors and cathodes from overvoltage (and spikes). One of the main reasons why I'm against injecting external RGB signals into the neckboard.
>It also looks like some resistors are missing around that input which are most likely the termination ones.
Just what I expected. I'm sure that some stuff (like a voltage divider, EMI filter or overvoltage protection) on the RGB/LINE is missing too.
>I'll plot it out with the meter in a bit, waiting for service manual to download.
Don't expect to find datasheets for certain Sony ICs (especially the ones starting with CXA).
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ACnGWz2zyw
Fucking B&O man. What kinda drugs were they on when they were designing this shit
>>
File: P16GpKN.gif (177KB, 180x218px) Image search: [Google]
P16GpKN.gif
177KB, 180x218px
Any PC Engine or Turbo Duo that natively outputs Scart RGB?
>>
>>3394002
What would You play on the FP2141? Also what's a reasonable price for one of them?
>>
>>3394887
>Scart RGB
Don't equate scart to RGB
>>
File: block1.png (714KB, 9921x7008px) Image search: [Google]
block1.png
714KB, 9921x7008px
>>3394839
the service manual i found has a full block diagram, electrical schematic and operation diagram for every IC except the CPU which is just a PIC.

what i found is there is a pin labeled "RGB SW" that switches over from the "color decoder" IC which takes composite and spits out RGB, this pin is controlled by the CPU directly so the actual RGB mode is completely software controlled. Now i just need to find where that pin actually exists IRL and that will allow me to inject the signal at the correct point.

in the diagram i'm attached at the R/G/B OUT pins, sending it into the RGB Matrix IC is probably the way to go.
>>
File: block2.png (868KB, 9959x7064px)
block2.png
868KB, 9959x7064px
>>3395018
pic related shows the composite input path and signal switching(interesting fact: it has two composite inputs but only one channel and the source is selected on the back panel PCB).
>>
>>3393976
looks old but also nice retro aesthetic. probably rf only.
>>
>>3394207

SCART SNES cables are cheap. I have "good" ones and "bad" ones and they both look identical to me.

Composite A/V cables are cheap as fuck, don't worry about if your SCART carries both. I'm in burger town and don't have a scart breakout that includes composite, and I don't care enough to jerry rig something to test.

Get a first party S-video cable for N64 if you're too lazy/worthless to solder.
>>
>>3395018
The RGB input is already used by the OSD, the YS signal enables it.

>what i found is there is a pin labeled "RGB SW" that switches over from the "color decoder" IC which takes composite and spits out RGB,
I think that the color decoder outputs component and has external component input but I'm very sure it's I2C controlled.
The RGB matrix converts component to RGB and beware what even that the RGB input only takes RGB, external component actually gets passed through the color decoder.

>>3395035
Notice how the the external RGB input is double buffered, after the first it goes to the color decoder and then it goes thru another buffer and then to the switches.

Now you need to take control of the RGB SW signal. You better check out how it's connected to the CPU and what would be the best approach to force it on without causing excessive current (on the CPU pin). Then you need to build your own buffers Q124-Q126 (on a external breadboard to avoid connection to the color decoder) and connect the outputs to the switches IC112-IC114 and make sure first that they exist (could be possible that they are not there). Also ensure that Q117 exists.

If you done all that right then it should work, also use composite input as sync input and use a switch to enable RGB (or else you get a RGB only PVM).
>>
Anyone have some recommendations for high-quality Dreamcast VGA cables/boxes and Saturn S-video cables?
>>
>>3394887
Not in any usable way. While all iterations of the PC Engine hardware do support RGB it needs to be amplified in order to be usable. A THS7314 based amp is one way to go.
>>
Am I doing something wrong here? When I have nothing plugged in the menu displays great but this is how it looks after plugging in my source.

15kHz modeline from a 6000 series Radeon , Extron 201 RXI, BVM

the only thing I can think of is that I'm not using terminators or maybe it's damaged..

1/2
>>
>>3395213
it looks like you accidentally became a vaporwave artist
>>
File: IMG_20160730_190343.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160730_190343.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
>>3395213
2/2
>>
I found a monitor in the wild. It is a Bosch LTC 2919/90. How good do you think it would be?

Here's a link to one for sale.

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-LTC-2919-90-LTC291990/dp/B001UKPS8I
>>
Shows up correctly after flipping the DDSP and SOG dip switches on the extron.. How do I access the menu while displaying a picture?
>>
File: Amiga1080_to_sega_01A.png (179KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Amiga1080_to_sega_01A.png
179KB, 1024x768px
Amiga 1080 here. First off, turns out a friend of mine can solder, so I'm gonna help him make the cable I need to hook up my Genesis to the 9-Pin D-Sub Terminal on the monitor through RGB. Is a simple wire to wire connection going to work? Could've sworn someone said I need some resistors or whatever. Any one know where I can get the Genesis model 1 DIN part only? I'll need SNES down the line, so if there's a website i can trust, i'd be happy to know it. Would it be wiser to take this question to the repair thread?

Pictured is the pin outs for each port. A dude on Sega-16 said this worked fine for him.
>>
>>3395151

I just use the cheap ~$7 cable off ebay.

I wasn't able to get dreamcast VGA or VGA from my laptop to look correct on my multiformat monitors until I got an Extron SS 200. (My extron 150 was not good enough.)

I had the same crappy colors issue that >>3395213 had, but without the tearing issue.
>>
>>3395213
>>3395278
What's the extron for?
>>
>>3395490
For Combining sync
>>
>>3393961
>>3394002
>>3394896
Could I pickup something like this and play Wii games on the monitor?
https://www.amazon.com/CableWholesale-Component-Video-Adapter-30H1-50200/dp/B00JMC9CLK

Or am I missing something as to why that wouldn't work. Also would the Wii be allowed to switch into 480p mode?
>>
File: composite sync.png (206KB, 956x782px) Image search: [Google]
composite sync.png
206KB, 956x782px
>>3395495
Do you not have this option?
>>
>>3395383
>>3395151
I see a lot of mixed reviews with these, between off-center pictures, overexposed whites, and a bunch of dead on arrivals. There certainly doesn't look like there's much build quality to them and the fact that they shrunk what should be a full-fledged little transcoding box into one cable just seems fishy to me. Buy at your own risk I guess?
>>
>>3395496
This is for playing wii on any PC CRT monitor:
You would need a Wii VGA cable (they have integrated component->rgb converters). It will ONLY work in 480p, though. Which means if you want retro games with scanlines, you need to play them in 480p with a scanline generator or filter.
>>
File: dricas.gif (19KB, 1040x833px) Image search: [Google]
dricas.gif
19KB, 1040x833px
>>3395528
>shrunk what should be a full-fledged little transcoding box into one cable
The dreamcast needs no transcoding, it supports VGA natively. What VGA boxes do is buffer the sync signals.
>>
>>3395527
I'm using the open source driver on linux. So it could be a software issue.. Can't seem to get sync unless it's on green
>>
>>3395531
So would I have to make my own Wii VGA cable? I've read Nintendo never made one.

Sorry but I know jack shit about running consoles on PC monitors
>>
>>3395537

Interesting.

Note that in my case, the passive cable is fine because my Extron SS 200 is doing the sync buffering.

I'm still happy with the SS 200 because it makes my laptop VGA output work on my multiformat PVMs and BVMs as well.

Although if it truly is just the sync that needs buffering, that seems very possible to do with some jury rigging.
>>
>>3395712
>that seems very possible to do with some jury rigging.
I have actually made the circuit in the pic minus the composite and s-video connections. It works fine with a CRT VGA monitor.
>>
>>3395712
>seems very possible to do with some jury rigging.
many mount a VGA socket and wire the appropriate resistors and diodes inside the console
>>
>>3395712
>>3395717
>>3395721
Also, some people do the internal VGA mod without using the 244 buffer.
>>
>>3395496
>https://www.amazon.com/CableWholesale-Component-Video-Adapter-30H1-50200/dp/B00JMC9CLK

I don't think that's going to work. That looks like a passive adapter to me (just electrically connects the pin to each other).

Component (Y+csync, Pb, Pr) is a very different kind of signal from VGA (R, G, B, Hsync, Vsync, + logic signals)

If you want to play Wii, get one of those Wii2VGA converter cables. They do the necessary processing inside the adapter, and the smash autists claim it only adds 2ms of lag.

A "startech" component to VGA converter apparently only adds 0.1 ms, but they're $100.

A PC CRT is IMO only really worth it if you plan to use it for ~1998 and up PC games (or if you get a nice one for <$50). A multiformat PVM will sync to 640x480p (4:3), 1280x720p (16:9), and possibly 1080i in addition to working flawlessly with retro 240p/480i and can take composite, s-video, component, and RGBs, in addition to the VGA a computer monitor can take.
>>
>>3395728
Thank you for actually answering my questions. I think this is the kind of converter cable you mentioned,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001MQT0O8?pc_redir=T1&qid=1285016897&s=electronics&sr=1-1

And thanks for being honest about what a PC CRT is reasonably used for, I had a hard time thinking of what games I would even play on it since kya said that one would be overkill for 6th gen.
>>
>>3395916

I still want a PC CRT at some point, but mostly it would be for playing "high res" 4:3 stuff (800x600, 1024x768) that my PVM can't handle. I grew up on 800x600 so that resolution seems perfect to me for a Win 98 gaming PC.

I'm also interested in an FW900 (16:10) for playing widescreen content.

Those cables don't seem to have great reviews... I think it was actually the Wii2HDMI converter I was thinking of that is endorsed for only adding 2ms lag by smash autists.

Maybe order the cable, but at $30 you should definitely hold on to the packaging in case you want to return it.

>overkill for 6th gen

Yeah, for 6th gen all you really need is 480p. 720p is supported by a *few* games, but the loss of area due to letterboxing makes it not worth it for me on a 4:3 set.
>>
>>3395962
What do you think of the Nec FP2141?

The cables have subpar reviews but it's just from some people claiming that the image drops in and out. A lot of others mention that it works flawlessly, so I don't mind taking a chance. Wii2hdmi won't work with the CRT I'm looking at because (obviously) it only takes VGA.
>>
>>3395704
>So would I have to make my own Wii VGA cable?
You can find them on amazon. I use one for this exact purpose.
Just a reminder, you won't be able to connect any retro consoles (other than dreamcast) to a PC CRT monitor.
>>
>>3393993
>Did I do good?
Yes, you did. Nice PVM. Is it a 20M4U? If so, 800 TV-Lines will make you a happy anon.
>>
>>3393957
I've been wondering for some time about a specific brand of TVs here in Europe, namely Bang and Olufsen.

Back in the 90s we used to have a B&O from the Beovision 6000 series, which are very high and large CRTs and were kind of a luxury TV back then. European models are probably only able to output PAL/50Hz but that in itself isn't much of an issue to me. What I do wanna know, however, is if others have had experience with those models or B&O CRTs in general. Are they good compared to other consumer sets? Or are other brands like Sony, Mitsubishi or Samsung still a better choice?
>>
>>3396189
>European models are probably only able to output PAL/50Hz
I'm interested in B&O too, but also about the cutoff age for when pretty much all CRTs could take both PAL and NTSC.
>>
>>3394346
Bump
can anyone see this?
is it the connector causing streaks?

ive seen someone in this thread ask about this before on a consumer tv
>>
>>3395527
Fixed my sync issue. Turns out it was my VGA cable. For whatever reason it didn't have all 15 pins. Used a different one and now normal sync is working.

Using sync on green prevents the use of the menu while displaying a picture
>>
Anyone want some old PC CRT monitors? Live in Florida? I'm not driving from Jacksonville to pick these up.

https://www.proxibid.com/aspr/16-CRT-Computer-Monitors/31402105/LotDetail.asp?lid=31402105

https://www.proxibid.com/aspr/53-Assorted-CRT-Monitors/31113610/LotDetail.asp?lid=31113610
>>
File: 20160731_155221.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160731_155221.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
I just got this TV for free. It's really shit.
>>
File: casioloopysupply.jpg (88KB, 700x554px)
casioloopysupply.jpg
88KB, 700x554px
>>3396905
Its not shit. Its kawaii as fuck. Now you need to buy one of pic related and some hello kitty games.
>>
Does anyone know where I could source fully populated nintendo multiout plugs?
>>
>>3396905
you should mod it for rgb, then you will have the objectively best setup on /vr/
>>
>>3396932

They're not fully populated, but SNES scart cables are like $3 on ebay
>>
>>3396965
I guess all I really need is rgbs and av, thanks
>>
The local salvation army has a new in box PC CRT for like $15 bucks. Should I get it? It's an E-Machines monitor, so i'm kinda ehh about it.
>>
>>3396987
depends on your setup and its size
>>
>>3396987
great for dreamcast and pc. not much else.
>>
The only thing I want in the entire world right now is a KV27FV310 and I just cannot seem to find one anywhere. Been looking for months. Thrift stores, garage sales, Craigslist, Computer Recycling Center, eBay, OfferUp, LetGo, everything. No one has one. Am I missing something or are these just rare? Pic related.
>>
>>3393957

anybody else ever notice that chaos has got extreme dicksucking lips?
>>
>>3397332
I've been there, anon. The FV310 was afaik the last consumer standard def CRT that Sony ever made. Consider that it came out at a time when flat panels and HDTVs were on the rise, and not long after the FS100/120 models, which are everywhere. Most people who might buy an FV310 probably already had one of the very common aforementioned models, and were not about to buy another similar TV.

I would recommend either finding another similar high end TV (i.e. a Panasonic Tau or the like) or another Trinitron, maybe try PVM hunting as per the advice in the OP. You're legitimately more likely to find some sort of industrial monitor than you are a very specific rare model of TV like that.
>>
>>3397358
Thanks, buddy. I did manage to find a KV24FV300 on OfferUp that I'm thinking about picking up to use for the time being, but I know it will never quite be the same. I've heard _really_ good things about the high voltage power regulator in the FV310. I'm conflicted.
>>
>>3395074
Solder what?
>>
>>3397372
I would go for it, that's a similar model and the smaller size will make it a lot more manageable.
>>
File: -3344681608110981550.jpg (21KB, 400x338px) Image search: [Google]
-3344681608110981550.jpg
21KB, 400x338px
>>3397410
Thanks! I think I will, and I'll just keep an eye out for a 27" FV310. I use a Bravia for everything else, but it only accepts 240p through the side mounted composite port. So no S-Video or Component without shelling out for a Framemeister, which I just can't do. It will be nice to finally be able to play my old systems again and not get a headache from looking at Composite on a 46" 1080p display.
>>
>>3397332
i really love the look of a trinitron with matching stand
>>
>>3397437
I knooooow, I want to find one so bad, but they're so hard to find. BUT THEY LOOK SO GOOD.
>>
File: IMG_20160731_223349.jpg (337KB, 1461x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160731_223349.jpg
337KB, 1461x1080px
do you think having this tele right next to my pc is going to affect my gpu or mobo or anything?
i am worried if there is some type of magnetic that it might fuck my shit up.
>>
File: dude i have no idea.jpg (393KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
dude i have no idea.jpg
393KB, 1280x960px
>>3397740
I think that's a solid maybe.
>>
File: 4141414.png (709KB, 621x618px) Image search: [Google]
4141414.png
709KB, 621x618px
>>3397747
rip ..
i need to know so i can turn it on and play some games.
>>
>>3397740
No lol
If I can have my HDD PS2 on top of my CRT with no problems, you'll be fine
>>
>>3397752
i'm a little nervous though, i don't wanna lose my data lol the hdd bays are pretty close to the tv it seems.

the only thing making me feel ok about it is old crt monitors often being right next to computers.
>>
>>3397740
>>3397754
no, not at all, infact i'd be more worried about the shitty chinese DC-DC converters introducing noise into the CRT.

also HDDs have at a minimum 3 mm thick of aluminium casting all the way around, even strong magnets have a hard time fucking up the data.
>>
File: dumbquestions.jpg (26KB, 322x147px) Image search: [Google]
dumbquestions.jpg
26KB, 322x147px
>>3397418
All right everybody, I'm picking up a KV24FV300 this week. Can anyone tell me with any certainty what resolutions it accepts? I know obviously that it has component and s-video inputs, but I can't seem to find the supported resolutions on the internet because I'm classically retarded. Is it just 240p/480i? Will it take 480p?
>>
>>3397770
>Will it take 480p?
No.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FD_Trinitron/WEGA
>>
>>3397776
Perfect! Thanks! I only plan to use this for 240p consoles anyway. Just figured I'd ask.

Is there any benefit to 480p instead of 480i when using 480p-capable consoles, ie sixth gen? Trying to plan a future setup here. Forgive my ignorance, I promise this is for /vr/ consoles, haha. I guess I have no idea what the difference between 480i and 480p even looks like on a good CRT.
>>
>>3397740
>>3397747
You act like people haven't had CRTs directly next to their PC since PCs were created.
>>
>>3397785
480p will look a lot better than 480i. I recommend a PC CRT for 480p+ consoles. You won't find a CRT TV that will do it without lagging.
>>
>>3397785
>Is there any benefit to 480p instead of 480i when using 480p-capable consoles, ie sixth gen?
480p looks better and it is not shaky. However, with consumer sets you are likely to get the image upscaled (and thus laggy) to 1080i unless you get a rare 480p native EDTV. Even then retro games will either not work or get deinterlaced (and thus laggy). The best solution for all gens would be a professional multiformat monitor.
>>
File: Dreamcast_VGA_box.jpg (264KB, 837x600px)
Dreamcast_VGA_box.jpg
264KB, 837x600px
I have a 480i-capable monitor with RGB and component input. What's my best output option for the Dreamcast? I have a VGA box, but my monitor (PVM 2950q) doesn't support VGA.

Should I get the Toro instead?
>>
File: VGA-5BNC-Cable.gif (40KB, 388x248px)
VGA-5BNC-Cable.gif
40KB, 388x248px
>>3397796
http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?t=1870
>>
>>3397796
Doesn't look too hard to nigger rig a VGA box to output 15kHz RGB.

http://www.gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:dreamcastav
>>
>>3397786
true but maybe the television is a little different?
>>
>>3397796
15khz RGBS, using SCART cable + SCART-BNC breakout.
The breakout will also serve you for other SCART consoles.
>>
>>3397820
It'll be fine.
Hard disk drives have super strong rare earth magnets inside them to drive the voice coil, a CRT is much weaker.
Remember they shield PC speakers to protect CRTs, not the other way around.
>>
>>3397870
kill. your. self.

and i know you wont reply to this because you never do
antagonistic little bitch wont stick around long enough to find out hes wrong

use a trip so i can filter you.
you slimy cunt

you post this daily
>>
File: kuroneko-mad-internet.jpg (108KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
kuroneko-mad-internet.jpg
108KB, 1280x720px
>>3397881
>>
File: 1467831708276.gif (395KB, 514x601px) Image search: [Google]
1467831708276.gif
395KB, 514x601px
>>3397881
whats not wrong with SCART?
>console scratch cables are missing most of the pins anyway
>by the time you build your own SCART cable for RGB you might as well have just used BNC end to end
>SCART is by design noisier due the the lack of grounds
>real men use BNC
>>
>3397905
>lack of grounds

HAHAHA
>>
>>3397905
>lack of grounds
Lack of what?
>>
>>3394191
And if the TV only takes RGB through a SCART socket, what does the SCARTbaby advocate then? Suicide?
>>
>>3394346
>>3396348
Read the fucking replies and POST A BETTER PIC. And make sure it's the right way up, please. I might know what's wrong but i can't fucking tell from your shit photo whether it's one thing or another and I'm not typing an essay for nothing.
>>
>>3398048
I think he thinks thats okay
He'll never fucking reply though

Its 20LFaggot' crony
I guess he's pissed that we ran his senpai out of the thread.
>>
>>3395216

lel
>>
File: streaks2.jpg (184KB, 483x619px) Image search: [Google]
streaks2.jpg
184KB, 483x619px
>>3398059
>>
I was thinking of putting my 14in BVM on my desk next to my computer monitors, to the right of my right speaker, do I have to worry about the degaussing coil inside the monitor doing anything funky to my speakers or my speakers doing anything funky to my BVM? I used to use really cheap computer speakers on my BVM and when I'd turn them on I'd get a very faint high pitched whine from inside my BVM so I moved them further away from the BVM and the whine went away.
>>
>>3398393
>or my speakers doing anything funky to my BVM?
If the speakers are big enough, It will probably make the colors wrong on that side of the monitor. Nothing permanent, you just won't like it.
>>
>>3397905
>Lack of grounds

Nigga, did you ever look at the pinout of a SCART plug or did you just jump on the hate bandwagon?

Also >building SCART

I can buy them dirt cheap over here, why would you do this?
>>
What the hell happened to this thread?
>>
>>3398593
Magnets strong enough can cause permanent damage to a CRT. not that it's terribly common, but it can't hurt to exercise caution, especially with a pvm/bvm.
>>
>>3399183
Well desu magnets strong enough to cause instant permanent damage to a CRT could probably fuck up other electronics as well
>>
File: IMG_2118.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px)
IMG_2118.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
Found this guy at a friend's parents' house. I didn't get to turn it around completely, but I think I saw it only had RF. Would be great for an atari, maybe even NES, especially with the wood grain and flat top.
>>
File: IMG_2568.jpg (317KB, 1287x965px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2568.jpg
317KB, 1287x965px
Went CRT hunting the other day. My friend advised me about a WEGA he found by his gym. The power cable was cut, which was a total shame because maybe I could've salvaged it. Bezel was all dirty and scratched up but the screen looked fine. Too bad it was a 27" beast which unfortunately my set up can't allow. It was a KV-27FS120. Looks like the hunt for Component continues.

I later found a (Possibly wide screen???) off brand CRT on the street with S-Video. Considering my current TV's broken, I would've taken it if not for its wire being cut as well. Why do people do this? Is it fixable?
>>
File: 1377485749769.png (473KB, 1055x720px)
1377485749769.png
473KB, 1055x720px
>>3399369
>Why do people do this? Is it fixable?
Are you serious?
>>
>>3399369
If I put something out or in the trash with a cut cord its because it doesn't work or is hazardous.
>>
>>3399369
>Why do people do this?
Fraction of a cent of copper.
Alternatively, "its broken and don't want people wasting their time".

>Is it fixable?
I dunno, how difficult would you find it opening it up and soldering in a new plug? It's literally just two simple conductors with a plug at the end. Not like they sawed off some sort of AC-DC converter or anything like that.
>>
>>3398059
>>3398365
bump

so basically no way to fix it unless 'calibrating the coil'? which idek what that means.
>>
I got a Sony Trinitron for like $40 on CL, but it seems like the S-video doesn't work. When I plug a cable in, it just flickers in 1 second intervals between a picture and a black screen. Is this a common issue? Is there a remedy?
>>
>>3399369
If it makes you feel better, the 100s and 120s aren't great. They're also mechanically unreliable, which is unfortunate because the vast majority of Trinitrons are otherwise notoriously reliable.
>>
File: 1459526993939.gif (2MB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
1459526993939.gif
2MB, 250x188px
>tfw drove by a CRT on the way home from work tonight
>it was pouring rain all day

God fucking dammit... the search continues. My shitty 13-inch will have to do for now
>>
>TFW have like 8 CRT's sitting in a climate controlled storage unit

I might make a profit someday.
>>
>>3393969
I keep hearing this, what's so bad about scart?
>>
>>3399464
13 inchers are comfy senpai
>>3399487
he wont reply and if he does it will be greentext smart-assery
He thinks scart is overpriced and is satan itself
>>
What's the least deep CRT that has an okay picture and S-Video or better? I have a very strong preference for aperture grille. I'm in burgerland.

I like my PVmemes but even the 8"s and 14"s are super deep relative to their screen size, I'm not sure they're worth it as desk TVs. My BVMs are even worse.

I've got a VHS combo 13" that would be the perfect size if the picture didn't make me want to kill myself.
>>
>>3399605

I was looking into the KV-13FS100 but it's less than an inch thinner than my PVM-14L5, so it doesn't seem worth it.
>>
>>3398894
from experience, none of the ground pins are populated, they rely on the outer socket as the sole means of insulation. this also means for RGB rather than using 3 coax cables with there shielding terminated inside the SCART socket they are just single ended wires.

idk maybe this is just a PAL thing but unless you're building your own SCART is trash.
>>
>3399723
you have no experience, and it shows
>>
File: 160px-Moire02.gif (665KB, 160x160px)
160px-Moire02.gif
665KB, 160x160px
>>3399423
Moiré pattern
The scanning pattern of the electron beam interfering with the physical layout of the shadow mask.
Some monitors have an anti moiré setting, otherwise change resolution/size/position/rotation
>>
>>3399757
This. You probably bought like a SCURT cable or SCRRT cable from China or something and thought it was going to be awesome.
>>
My sets all kinds fucked. Everything looks good in 240p test suite but games end up tilted. Fuck
>>
File: IMG_20160802_101334.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160802_101334.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
Another
>>
>>3397795
ED CRTs don't exist. There are early 480p Plasmas and LCDs, but the black levels and colors are extremely bad, with a lot of ghosting and burn-in issues.

HD CRTs can display 480p or 1080i.

>>3399479
What models are they?
>>
>>3399784
Thanks anon
I turned the v. moire up to 20 and it fixed it
>>
>>3399487
He's trolling. SCART is dope as shit.
>>
>>3400014
>Mother 2
>Banjo Kazooie
>Battletoads
>Sanij teh Hadgehorse
>USB Turntable

Why do you have such shit taste, anon?

That FV300 is awesome though. I'm picking one up this week! As for the tilt, have you tried tilting your head the same angle, the other direction, to offset it? Should look fine after you make that simple fix.

(In actuality I'm now worried in case my KV24FV300 has the same problem. But damn do I love seeing pictures of them in action. I'm excited for that TV.)

Unrelated, what do you have your genesis hooked up with? Don't tell me that's composite. Because composite shouldn't look that good. I'm sorry I've never played retro games on a *good* CRT before so I'm just excited to pick this thing up.
>>
How does the 300 compare to the 310? Does the high voltage regulator of the 310 really improve the picture quality?
>>
File: IMG_20160724_232043.jpg (389KB, 1060x1239px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160724_232043.jpg
389KB, 1060x1239px
>>3400067
It's an lp60, non usb.

Also Genesis is connected via scart to component.
>>
>>3399456
What's wrong with 120's! I know they're much more common. I love my 27fs120 even though it doesn't see too much usage.
>>
>>3400259
They were just the lower end, sort of entry level consumer Trinitrons at the time. Not super high quality is all.
>>
>>3400095
What SCART to Component adapter do you use?
>>
Quick question:

do composite switchers effect output quality too much?
>>
>>3400009
>tilted
This is negligible.
>>
>>3400050
A Few KV-9PT50's that I need to do S-video mods on, a 9" PVM that has a bad blue channel on the RGB input, a nicer 13" Toshiba that has S-video and component, a 13" Panasonic broadcast monitor, a few PC/Apple CRT's, and a 9" B/W VGA monitor. Mostly novelty stuff.
>>
>>3400075
Any initial difference between the two will be small compared to each sets individual condition.
>>
File: SlP3IQx.jpg (65KB, 652x456px) Image search: [Google]
SlP3IQx.jpg
65KB, 652x456px
>>3400461
yes*

*If its someone you grabbed off the shelf or from ebay it's going to use the cheapest switch, with the cheapest PCB(literally cardboard), in the cheapest unshielded plastic case they could make.
>>
>>3400470
did you want a service manual for that PVM? I found one the other day for mine and its absolutely beautiful.
>>
>>3400461
get an extron crosspoint and a lot of BNC-chich adapters. Use it for video and keep using the cheap composite switches for sound.
>>
File: extron-mps-112.jpg (42KB, 1000x334px)
extron-mps-112.jpg
42KB, 1000x334px
>>3400738
Sounds overcomplicated to me

Why not just go for an MPS 112? Only four composite inputs but you can also switch four svideo and four vga/rgb. Plus it has usable stereo switching capability for all inputs too.
>>
>>3400009
Easy to ignore if you turn the overscan up a tiny bit

you have to rotate the yoke to fix it as far as i know and that can fuck up your dynamic convergence
>>
>>3400461
I just returned a switcher with S-video. Caused horrible ghosting. I'm trying to find a good alternative.
>>
File: IMG_20160803_010026.jpg (2MB, 2979x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160803_010026.jpg
2MB, 2979x3120px
>>3400445
First result on Amazon when you search scary to component. You'll also need some kind of audio solution since it doesn't have audio out.

Here's another photo of GameCube S-video running Gameboy Interface. Absolutely the best way to play Gameboy games on the big screen. (Outside of shelling out 200 dollars for component cables but fuck that mess)
>>
File: 0vHJBxE[1].jpg (70KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
0vHJBxE[1].jpg
70KB, 720x480px
>>3401689
Is there any decent way to output VGA to a typical CRT display? I feel like most VGA to svideo/composite boxes are a scam, or don't scale well.
>>
>>3401689
>>3401716
sorry, did not mean to reply
>>
>>3401716
"typical"?
If it has component, you use a vga->component converter and output the correct resolution.
>>
>>3401716
Extron VSC
>>
>>3401716
GBS 8200

1 frame of lag or so ive heard

that being said if you want composite/s-video you'll have to look a bit harder

try fudoh's page on scalers
>>
>>3401716
>>3401736
sorry misread

all the downscalers on amazon are 480i only including the extron VSC another anon mentioned
>>
File: IMG_2273.jpg (618KB, 1287x965px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2273.jpg
618KB, 1287x965px
>>3399464
Don't get your hopes down, if the TV's actually worth it, theres a good chance you can salvage it. As long as it isn't turned on or anything and dried out properly it could possibly work. My Amiga monitor was out in the rain for a good week or so (And infested with bugs to boot!) and it works just fine now.
>>
Absolute idiot here. Do I need an adapter to hook the R/Y/W AV cable to a PVM style TV that has Video 1, Audio 1 connectors on the back that are all white?
>>
>>3402424
post a pic
>>
>>3400751
>MPS 112
well, would also work and yes would be less complicated with video and audio connected to the same device. But i really like the crosspoints because
- they're matrix switches. That means you can multiply send the same signal from one console to all its outputs so you can connect more than one display.
- if you have more than one display to connect then you can assign and switch all seperate inputs to the outputs(displays) of your choice
-all inputs are RGBHV/RGBS etc., component, s-video or composite (you have to get the right adapter cables tho, but same with the MPS 112.) That gives you more flexibility for the future of your setup, i.e. if you plan to upgrade your consoles to from composite to RGB.
- he already has the composite switches,i'd rather use those for audio than trying to get phoenix connectors for the crosspoint because they're frickin expensive and some crosspoints don't have audio at all.
>>
>>3401716
get an extron emotia and an extron rgb interface. And read the Holy Scripture of fudoh.
>>
kd-32fs170 vs kv-32fs100

They both are only 480i sets, but the kd-32fs170 is apparently a hi-scan tube which means it has the same physical tube as the 1080i crts but is unable to actually resolve the 1080 vertical resolution.
So my question being would this TV have any lag associated with running 480i or is it just some naming system by Sony that wouldn't affect the actual latency?

Also overall thoughts on both sets in themselves.
>>
File: adaptateur-rca-vers-bnc-pvm.jpg (62KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
adaptateur-rca-vers-bnc-pvm.jpg
62KB, 600x600px
>>3402424
Actually a PVM? They only have mono audio. Yellow for video, white for audio, leave the red cord dangling. You will need a RCA to BNC adapter for the video cable.
>>
>>3402424
Like >>3402781 said, all you need is BNC adapters. Although I would seriously consider stepping things up to at least S-Video if your consoles/TV supports it. It will make a world of a difference and your PVM will really let it shine.
>>
File: IMG_4738.jpg (4MB, 3456x5184px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4738.jpg
4MB, 3456x5184px
I fucked up the multi party battle like 3 times but finally got it
>>
File: IMG_4741.jpg (4MB, 5184x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4741.jpg
4MB, 5184x3456px
>>3402956
>>
>>3402669
If it's a high-scan model, that means it doesn't do 480i.
>>
>>3402956
>>3402961
Your vertical convergence could do with a tweak
>>
>>3402669
>>3402983
>kd-32fs170

I'm wondering if it's actually a digital set. Here's the manual:
https://docs.sony.com/release/kd27fs170.pdf

I don't see anything call it "high scan" or "high definition" or anything. Might be like >>3402669 said, and it's just the tube.

If you have the ability to personally check it, just see if it has scanlines on 240p. It might be worth a look.
>>
File: 0wiFVrl.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
0wiFVrl.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Hey guys. Last year I got really into retro video games for like a month and bought a bunch of shit I no longer use. One thing I DO still use is this 21" IBM P275. Got it for $40, and I'm really happy with it. Anyway, I forgot everything I knew about CRTs so I have a few questions.

>How often should I degauss my monitor?
>Will degaussing right next to my laptop damage it? (I have an SSD not HDD)
>Will running it at 1600x1200/85Hz (rather than lower resolution/Hz) shorten the lifespan?

Thanks
>>
File: IMAG0449.jpg (793KB, 2048x1520px)
IMAG0449.jpg
793KB, 2048x1520px
>>3403024
It degausses every time it switches on
Unlikely
Doubt it

Pic is 240p running on my P260. Love that thing to bits.
>>
>>3403035
Nice, thanks

>It degausses every time it switches on
I feel dumb for not knowing that
>>
>>3403024
>Will running it at 1600x1200/85Hz (rather than lower resolution/Hz) shorten the lifespan?
no

only thing that affects life span is contrast and maybe brightness to an extent
>>
>>3403002
>>3402669
Both models are SD, you won't have any lag displaying 240p or 480i sources.
>>
File: 100_0521.jpg (2MB, 3472x2604px)
100_0521.jpg
2MB, 3472x2604px
>>3403024
>P275
>>3403035
>P260

I have both of these. Great monitors. Here's a pic from 2008 of my old CRT battlestation. CRTs on the left and right.
I got them when a CAD place was throwing out their old monitors. I probably left behind some good ones, but I think these were the 2 best ones they had.
>>
>>3400461
Feel this is a good place to ask. Is there such thing as a GOOD composite/s-video switch? I haven't been able to find one for sale that isn't a flimsy piece of shit. I have a nice, solid, powered switch for component, but most of my stuff is s-video or composite. The thing I have them plugged into is such garbage, the weight of the cables alone is enough to push it around.

Surely it must exist? Composite is like the most basic thing.
>>
>>3403157
see >>3400751

just look at extron switches on ebay
>>
File: 20160803_192219.jpg (745KB, 2240x1344px) Image search: [Google]
20160803_192219.jpg
745KB, 2240x1344px
Anyone know what's wrong with my CRT? It has these weird curved lines (not scan lines, I don't think) that show up often depending on the image/coloring on the screen and annoy the shit out of me. I'll post another pic.
Keep mind that it's a flatscreen and not curved.
>>
File: 20160803_192220.jpg (928KB, 2240x1344px) Image search: [Google]
20160803_192220.jpg
928KB, 2240x1344px
>>3403215
Second pic. If you need a different image to understand what I'm talking about, just tell me.
>>
>>3403201
Looks like what I'm looking for, thanks.
>>
>>3403215
>>3403220
Moire
see >>3399784
my monitor had moire settings
>>
Just walked by something on the side of the road but I'm pretty sure it's not a CRT. Build date around 2005 Sony brand KDF-E50A10.back of the unit and reading on my makes it look like it's an LCD projector TV. There are no CRT-like benefits from a TV like this, correct? Says it does HD and has analog inputs out the ass.
>>
>>3403365
Correct. Tons of LCDs and Plasmas have analog inputs.
>>
>>3403313
Well fuck. Mine doesn't have any settings like that. I guess I'll replace it later on.
>>
>>3403087
Wrong

KD-32FS170 is Hi-Scan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FD_Trinitron/WEGA
>>
HD retrovision cables back in stock WHEN?
>>
>>3400009
hpos and vpos are off, that and rotation are in the service menu. you can't get rid of the bow on most sets. this is why I prefer my Mitsubishi's convex tube.

adjust hpos and vpos to center the screen, then turn up hsiz and v siz until the image fills the bezel. adjust rotation or tilt until it's level.
>>
>>3403425
But if you read the manual for the set ut only supports up to 480i.

Hence my earlier question. Also if you read the entire wikipedia page you'd see they state some "Hi-scan" models are only SDTV capable and cant physically resolve 1080 vertical lines.
>>
>>3403435
Or just buy a converter because you will need to for every other console that they don't make cables for anyway.
>>
>>3403476
Nice try SCART jew. I ain't falling for it.
>>
>>3403435
SNES RGB SCART vs SNES HD Retrovision Component? Which one is better?
>>
>>3403491
it depends on your region and what kind of display you are using, but the difference is almost negligible

the retrovision cable offers some convenience for people who own consumer TVs in north america (YPbPr instead of RGB inputs), but no advantage in terms of image quality
>>
File: 2016-07-27_14-56-16_221.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-27_14-56-16_221.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>3403024
I have the same monitor, it's pretty quality

personally I feel that 1600 x 1200 is a little too large for it particularly, although running it at that shouldn't be too bad longevity wise.

I got mine from a friend that regularly ran it 1856 x 1392

[bad pic]
>>
>>3403569
1592* sorry
>>
>>3403487
They're right though. You'd be better off buying a decent standalone RGB->Component transcoder than a multitude of cables for different systems. Would be cheaper in the long run as well, if you're going for more than 2 or so cables.

And outside of the CSY-2100 clones, none of them use SCART, so that doesn't come into it.
>>
>>3402669
>>3403469
Both models are SD. The lag on Sony HDCRTs is caused by an internal image scaler, what Sony termed Digital Reality Creation. Neither model you're looking at uses DRC.

The "480i only" in the manual distinguishes it from ED/HD sets that can accept 480p and 1080i (and sometimes 720p.) 240p isn't listed because it isn't an "official" resolution, you won't find it mentioned in the manual of any consumer SD set.

Both sets are pretty similar, but they have pros and cons.

The 170 is a much newer set, Sony was still producing these in late '06 so you could potentially get one that's only 9 years old. The tube itself is a Hi-Scan, which may give a better picture than the 100, even at lower resolutions.

The 100 is an older set, Sony was making these back 2002, but compared to the 170 it has an extra composite input as well as audio output jacks. Higher power speakers as well, 10W x2 compared to the 170's 5W x2. Overall power consumption is 190W, and the weight is 165 lbs, compared to the 170's 160W and 158 lbs.
>>
Is RGB SCART converted to YPbPr Component worth it for consumer-grade CRTs? I've heard the difference between S-Video and Component is negligible on CRTs. Component will look better if on the off-chance I want to plug it into a HDTV, so is there any downside for converting besides spending a couple bucks?
>>
>>3403601
>240p isn't listed because it isn't an "official" resolution

The scanlines are there precisely because the TV is 480i, they are the unused lines.
>>
>Geared up to buy a Trinitron from someone from Craigslist
>Text them
>Turns out that the person I'm texting is selling an SUV, not a TV
>The Trinitron ad was faked

I was really weirded out. I had every reason to believe the listing was real since there were photos, a contact number, the model was listed, and there was a description.

What a shame, I would have loved to pick up that Trinitron.
>>
File: c04.png (198KB, 636x328px) Image search: [Google]
c04.png
198KB, 636x328px
>>3403035
>>
>>3403643
> I've heard the difference between S-Video and Component is negligible on CRTs.

You shouldn't be worried about all that other shit when you don't even know

>S-Video
>POWER GAP
>Composite
>POWER GAP
>RF
>>
Anyone know where I can find an affordable color probe for my BVM-D14H5U? Looking to spend less than $100 for an off-brand, manual kind of thing, willing to spend up to $150-200 for one that would work automatically (there are some settings that say "PROBE" in the menu.)

I've got two, one is very usable with a slight reddish tint while the other is a sickly green, no matter what I do in the color temp settings.

I guess the next step is to open up the set and take some voltage measurements/look for trimpots etc but I'd kind of like an objective tool first.
>>
>>3403601
This is what I was looking for in a answer. Thank you very much helps with my decision making process. Honestly the audio isnt a big deal i run that seperately to an external amplifier setup.

One other question would be the 170 being a "hi scan" tube would it be like having high a TVL bvm/pvm where the scanlines are very thin and very large black spaces?

I know with consumer sets its all but impossible to find figures like that but just curious if you are anyone would know.
>>
>>3403694
Or*
>>
>>3400461
No, but try not to use composite ever if you can avoid it.
>>
>>3403424
Try just slightly increasing or decreasing the vertical size of the image (on the monitor obviously, not the image you posted...) if you can.

That might help.
>>
>>3403708
It isn't that bad

Pretty sure we all used composite at one time or another and were content with it.
>>
>>3403749
>I used to eat shit, not knowing it was shit
>shit must still taste good....
>>
File: IMAG0504.jpg (2MB, 2048x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0504.jpg
2MB, 2048x1520px
>>3403771
Try composite on a BVM with 3D comb filtering and be amazed.

90% of the issue is bad handling of the signal by the display. Heck my Pioneer Kuro plasma does a damn fine job of cleaning up a composite feed too (pic related)
>>
>>3403771
>now that ive played games in the way that developers never intended everything else is dogshit
>>
File: adaptateur_rvb_3085_img01.jpg (166KB, 1024x630px) Image search: [Google]
adaptateur_rvb_3085_img01.jpg
166KB, 1024x630px
>>3403841
>never intended
>those available RGB pins were never intended to be used whatsoever
>the bundled RGB cables where intended to be thrown away.
>>
>>3403859
>consumers outside of europe had rgb
>the majority of europeans had scart rgb TVs

:^)
>>
>>3403875
who are you replying to?
im not gonna look for a string of numbers when you could have added another arrow
>>
>>3403875
>vaseline
I never got this connection/reference
I've never had a TV that looked smeared

I know we all used composite as a kid unless youre euro. I'm not advocating that anyone use it, but its not as bad as people claim.

Reminder if you cant play games without RGB and a BVM then you're falling for the meme.
>>
File: 1357884215486.png (155KB, 730x261px) Image search: [Google]
1357884215486.png
155KB, 730x261px
>>3403883
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>3403883
You know I don't have to copy down 7 digits to reply to you right?
You just click on "No.3403883", and it puts it into a post for you.
>>
File: scart-price.jpg (158KB, 500x307px) Image search: [Google]
scart-price.jpg
158KB, 500x307px
The most important thing is never to fall for the jewish scart meme.
>>
>>3403694
No official data from Sony on the tvl of consumer HS tubes, but 500-550 is likely. For 240p games this is basically ideal, there will be visible scanlines but they won't be as prominent as high tvl bvms.
>>
>>3403925
The one is free and the other is cheap and Im sure I can talk the seller down, so I may end up picking up both and keeping the better of the 2.
I was trying to decide prior as to not have to drag around an extra 200+lbs of tv just to not keep it.
But a side by side comparison will probably be my best bet at a final decision, If I can even notice a difference.
>>
>>3403643
for te price of all that shit you could have an s-video switch setup and a line doubler that accepts s-video. But to answer your question directly. Yes it's better.
>>
>>3403678
where anywhere in that post did I imply I didn't know the difference between s-video, composite and RF?
>>
>>3404064
Ive never seen someone so insistent on differentiating themselves since 20L5 guy.

It makes me cringe that you think anyone gets something out of seeing (you).

Can you use a trip?
>>
File: 1421380195401.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1421380195401.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
Here's Project M on my PVM-8044Q over component.
>>
What CRT has the best scanlines?
>>
>>3404753
1000 TVL BVM or a PC CRT in 3840x240p
those have the thickest blank lines.
>>
>>3404753
That one.
>>
>>3404705
Watch out you'll be ignored and yelled out for posting stuff like that
>>
Is it normal that CRT TVs that come with presets for brightness, contrast, etc. have those presets with way too much brightness, contrast and over-saturated color?
>>
Hey guys, I'm currently using an 10in Phillips Magnavox television for my retro stuff next to my work desk. I was kind of curious if someone could recommend me a particular brand or model of relatively similar size. I love this tv but the fact it's only mono is driving me nuts.

So I'd prefer something around 10in, with audio in, good screen quality, and headphones out if possible. If anyone has any recommendations I would love some.
>>
>>3405396
>I love this tv but the fact it's only mono is driving me nuts.
Get a cheap amp and speakers. Even computer speakers work.
>>
>>3405417
I would but I don't really have much room at all here to fit that. It's a very small area already.
>>
>>3405430
You dont need headphones out. Just use pic related.

I dont know if a non-mono TV exists that small
>>
File: 3_5mm-female-rca-female-1[1].jpg (112KB, 600x335px) Image search: [Google]
3_5mm-female-rca-female-1[1].jpg
112KB, 600x335px
>>3405435
>>
>>3405437
Oh nice, I'll pick up a pair of those then. Thanks man.
>>
>>3403024
>IBM monitor
>9" PVM
>Thinkpad
>EOS SLR
holy shit are you me? In my case I shoot with a EOS 5 and have a T221(yes the 16:10 4k display).
>>
Hey /crt/, I just picked up a nice Commodore 64 monitor that is in good working shape, although it's got one scratch in the middle of the screen. Should I try buffing it out with toothpaste or something, or just leave it be?
>>
>>3405759
Leave it be
>>
I recently got two Sony Trinitron PVMs for free. One is completely gone (not sure of the issue) and the other has a capacitor that's about to go out. I'd post pictures but I'm away from home for the weekend. I have many other CRTs in good condition, so I'm not too hard up and will probably be getting rid of them:

1. Would it be worth fixing them and how would I go about that if it is?

2. How would I go about shipping something so heavy to someone? USPS or UPS? I'd probably send them to someone here if none of the local game shops or none of my friends want them.
>>
>>3405851
>USPS or UPS?
FedEx or Freight.
USPS won't want to deal with anything like that if possible, and UPS's sorting facilities are known to be CRT killers by design.

As for whether it's worth it to fix or not entirely depends on what exactly is going or had gone bad.
>>
>>3405851

post some pics of tehm
>>
File: 20160805_070924.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160805_070924.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
What's the consensus on the JVC brand? Have a guy who wants to get rid of pic related but I have no familiarity with these.
>>
File: P_20160323_093213_001.jpg (4MB, 4096x3072px) Image search: [Google]
P_20160323_093213_001.jpg
4MB, 4096x3072px
>>3406142
http://pro.jvc.com/pro/attributes/monitor/brochure/tmh1375b.pdf

looks good. Composite and S-Video only, but that shouldn't be a deterent, image quality is still great.

pic related is his big brother TMH 1750 in S-Video
>>
File: IMG_20160803_011229.jpg (3MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160803_011229.jpg
3MB, 3120x4160px
>>
>>3406175
Thanks man. Composite and S-Vid is all I'm looking for. It's a bit bigger than I want but having internal speakers is nice.
>>
Question time

Someone here said transcoding Y PB PR (component) to RGB (vga) should be lagless.

Now I have Wii VGA cables that do just that. But because the Wii outputs random interlaced frames, every 10 minutes or so my CRT goes black for 3 seconds.

Is there a transcoder that will simply ignore an interlaced frame? Is there a transcoder that will give out a signal that stays at 640x480p or ???p at all times?

Or do I just need to hunt for a 20" CRT monitor that doesn't go black? I have some that don't go black but they're 16" or less.
>>
>>3405851
What are they're sizes? I like UPS ground they're cheap. Just wrap up your monitor, box it, wrap up that box, box it. Should be perfectly fine.
>>
>>3406360

Never ever ship a CRT, find out why

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFGGHGwAjLY
>>
>>3406458
>Never ever ship a CRT without the original box packaging
Fixed

Just because one seller is garbage at packing items doesn't mean everyone is.
>>
File: image.jpg (13KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13KB, 400x300px
Picking up a PVM 1340 soon. Is there anything I should know that's weird about it? Just getting in to CRTs. Planning on getting a SCART to RGB converter.
>>
>>3406458
Sorry I've shipped a ton of crt's. They all turned out fine. Some styrofoam on the feet, wrapped in bubble wrap. Boxed and then put in another box filled with peanuts
>>
can anyone recommend me a VCR that has component or rgb outputs so i can finally watch die hard the way it was meant to be seen? thanks
>>
Do PMVs do any digital processing on component signals, or are the scanlines shown as the signal comes like RGB?
>>
I'm looking for a cheap PS(2) SCART connector with RGB. Anything good on Ebay that is wired properly?
>>
>>3406547
>Planning on getting a SCART to RGB converter.
Don't fall for the scart meme.
>>
>>3406638
>I'm looking for a cheap PS(2) SCART connector with RGB

See >>3406692
>>
>>3406701
did you forget that some people actually live in europe
>>
File: 00h0h_ZJsCGwyUDh_1200x900.jpg (16KB, 505x900px) Image search: [Google]
00h0h_ZJsCGwyUDh_1200x900.jpg
16KB, 505x900px
I found this Sony PVM-14M2U on Craigslist. The seller is a bit more than an hour away and they want $150 for it. I'd consider it if I wasn't broke right now.

These things pop up in New York all the time though. Penalty because it's the broadcast capital of the world. I can always look again later.
>>
>>3406692
but this is a meme in and of itself
>>
>>3406879
don't fall for the meme meme
>>
>>3406701
But my TV only accepts SCART
>>
>>3393957
Why is there not a proper successor to crts by now? You'd think there'd be something, even if just for the enthusiast market.
>>
Why do PVM screens look so bright from diffuse reflections on photos? Is this a problem when something is shown on screen?
>>
>>3406976
There were two proper successors

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-conduction_electron-emitter_display

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_emission_display

Sadly both technologies faded into irrelevance because of improvements in LCDs.

Plasma was another great technology but sadly it had a similar fate.

OLEDs are a considerable step up from LCDs so at least there's that to look forward to.
>>
>>3406985
OLED can also be cut to size, which could make 4:3 CRT screens with integer scaling options for retro Ghana a viable option.
>>
>>3406859
Yeah, not a bad deal. I live in Philly and there's nothing around me right now until I expand to NYC. I'm just getting interested in purchasing a CRT so I'm still researching.
>>
Is there any test one can do to check if a CRT has any input lag? I thought of using an old analog camera and film the screen, taking note if the endless hallway effect is instant.
>>
>>3407010
The 240p test suite has a test for it.
>>
File: DSC_0061.jpg (765KB, 3008x2000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0061.jpg
765KB, 3008x2000px
Contributing
>>
File: DSC_0059.jpg (776KB, 3008x2000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0059.jpg
776KB, 3008x2000px
>>3407095
That one is a bit messy, but whatever
>>
>>3406985
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-conduction_electron-emitter_display
Stop posting this fixed-pixel garbage
>>
Got my laseractive working again. Cannot for the life of me get the RGB mod to work this time, though.

If I ran current backwards through a THS7314DR (reversing 5v and ground), would the chip be burnt out? I'm thinking that might be the problem.
>>
>>3407128
>If I ran current backwards through a THS7314DR (reversing 5v and ground), would the chip be burnt out?
Probably. Some chips have protection diodes, though. Check the datasheet or just test the chip.
>>
>>3407145
Current ran both ways when i tested resistance across the power pins. RIP?
>>
File: IMG_1939.jpg (565KB, 1356x1046px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1939.jpg
565KB, 1356x1046px
>>3407123
>>3407184
Confirmed that the RGB amp got died.

I decided to see what it was like to connect the unamplified RGB. Looks fucking weird, but not as dark as I expected. It's unevenly lit across the screen, and there's streaks coming off everything.
>>
File: IMG_20160806_002435.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160806_002435.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Found a listing for a Sony WEGA Trinitron for free on Craigslist, enlisted my brother's help to get the fucking behemoth from dudes house to mine. It took about 15 minutes for it to warm up, and it gets a tad blurry on occasion, but otherwise it's everything it's advertised to be. Can't fucking believe I got my hands on one of these things.

Pic related. Only question is... How do I get the output marker on the top left to disappear? It's on there permanently and I can't seem to find an option to toggle it off. Any suggestions?
>>
Sony 14" PVM-14N5U, looking to upgrade from shifty crt. Worth it? PAL here so wasteland for the most part. Would be shipping from Texas for £120+.
>>
>>3407390
You may need to get a universal remote that has the "display" button/functionality to get rid of that.

It's been a while since I've been on CRT. Just moved my 36 inch fs120 Wega into my basement game room as an upgrade to my 27 inch fs120.

Time Crisis looks great on it
>>
>>3407425
It will die in the shipping

Or at least have the convergence/geometry fucking destroyed.
>>
>>3407426
>You may need to get a universal remote that has the "display" button/functionality to get rid of that.

This. I got one from walmart to turn that off on mine.
>>
>>3407390

I should clarify, it's a KV-32FS12 model and I DON'T have the remote. Is this something that would require one? Also after some googling I've surmised that a remote is needed to change settings so to get the most highly defined Scanlines so I'll probably order a replacement remote regardless.
>>
>>3407429
For real? This goes for all CRT shipping?
>>
>>3407432
As the other anon said, all you should need is to hit the "Display" button on said replacement remote and you should be good to go.
I'd also like to add that Sony has kept the IR codes for their TVs pretty consistent over the past 20 or so years, so if you were to have a Sony remote for an LCD(or perhaps even a PS3 remote, I want to check this now), there's a decent chance that it would actually function for that TV. Whether it has a Display button or not is a different matter.
>>
>>3407439

Found a Sony RM-Y168 remote on ebay for $7, seems that it's compatible with my KV-32FS12, is this the case? Sorry for being a spoonfeed-requesting bitch, just don't wanna spend money on a remote that doesn't work with my TV.
>>
>>3407437
I mean
I shipped an 80 pound BVM in sub optimal packing and it turned out pretty fine

I shipped a 60 pound 20" PVM and it was packaged perfectly, and the convergence got fucked so bad

But this wasnt overseas

A CRT shipped in its original box should be fine.
>>3407456
dude you can get them for 5 bucks at walmart and sony trinitrons were common as fuck its sure to be on there

my shitty sharp 13" was on there
>>
>>3407456
I have like 4 different Sony remotes from different WEGA sets, and they all work interoperably. The one I got with my KV-32FS13(ever so slightly newer version of yours, I believe) is a RM-Y180, and looks like to almost exactly like the 168, except silver/gray instead of black.

tl;dr: Should work fine.

>>3407461
Some people just like having the original, or at least matching remotes.
Never really like universals that much. Don't know why, but they usually seem to take longer to actually get the TV/device to respond in comparison to the original.
>>
>>3407376

I put some BNC connectors on the outputs of the PVM to put it into low resistance mode to see if it would look better. Holy shit did it. I've never seen a clearer, nicer looking sega signal in my life.
This picture looks like shit because the camera can't deal with how bright and colorful the image is.
>>
File: IMG_1940.jpg (401KB, 1200x900px)
IMG_1940.jpg
401KB, 1200x900px
>>3407496
>forgot picture
>>
>>3407496
wait .. so your console gave you an uneaven image that was too dark and you put some BNC connectors (not terminators?) on the RGB-outputs to disable auto-termination? This doesn't sound like best of ideas. However, requesting more information.
>>
File: s-l1600 (1).jpg (199KB, 1458x1362px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600 (1).jpg
199KB, 1458x1362px
Someone on gumtree advertised one of these as a PVM and was asking $250

They added a bunch of consoles names in the description and added RETRO GAMING to the title.
>>
>>3407814
What a joke.
>>
>>3407814
We full meme tier now boys. By the end of the year real PVMS clearing $1k, generic junk CRTs regularly going for $75, quality consumer sets at $200.
>>
>>3407832
Its to be expected. so many youtuber gaming channels have "CRT'S ARE THE BEST IF YOU ARE A LEGIT RETRO GAMER XD" videos
>>
I just got an old B&O TV, but the AV button doesn't seem to work. Any idea how to properly operate these?
>>
>>3407832
i'm glad i got my 14m4u for $75 when i did 2 years ago

the price increase in pvms is so stupid
>>
>>3407995
Get a remote
>>
>>3407832
Junk CRTs will remain junk. Sets that are decent will actually sell rather than being tossed out on the side of the road.
>>
There is a guy selling this TV, is it any good

anyone ever seen one like this ?
>>
>>3408101
That's an odd one. Looks like the owner removed the speakers and part of the base, and it looks like it has a front panel VGA connector too. European or Middle Eastern model?
>>
>>3408148

Yes it is European, its a Sony Trinitron KV32FD1E
and the guy is selling it for around $ 150
>>
File: IMG_1945.jpg (388KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1945.jpg
388KB, 1000x750px
>>3407690
>put some BNC connectors (not terminators?) on the RGB-outputs to disable auto-termination?
Yup!
Don't worry, I'm a master CRT nerd.
>>
How far away from my crt tv should I put my speakers? They're fairly old bookshelf speakers, so in all likelyhood they're unshielded.
>>
>>3408101
>widescreen
>front vga connector
I'd get it just because of how odd it is
>>
>>3408315

it probably weights over 100 pounds and considering that I can just barely lift my fw900 that thing would be out of the question

here were I live probably nobody is gonna show interest specially at that price, gonna wait a few monts and see if the price goes down
>>
Sup /CRT/, how do i get those really pronounced scan lines on my 9" PVM? Is it a limitation of the small screen or is it just because I'm on PAL?
>>
>>3408392
it depends on the amount of TVL lines

also scanlines are a meme bro
>>
File: 20160724_223612.jpg (2MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160724_223612.jpg
2MB, 5312x2988px
Here's some recent pics I took of my Mitsubishi CK-2602R from 1987 with a Saturn over S-Video.
>>
File: 20160724_224148.jpg (737KB, 1645x925px) Image search: [Google]
20160724_224148.jpg
737KB, 1645x925px
>>
File: 20160724_224702.jpg (690KB, 1567x881px)
20160724_224702.jpg
690KB, 1567x881px
>>
File: 20160724_223834.jpg (52KB, 496x881px) Image search: [Google]
20160724_223834.jpg
52KB, 496x881px
>>
I'm about to go pick up a KV24FV300. I've always heard great things about those sets but there's not a lot of evidence online of them being used for retro games. Could anyone with an FV300 or FV310 post some pictures so I have an idea of what I'm getting here? I know it's a longshot, but I'm hoping at least one of you anons has one. Or at the very least, have any of you seen or played retro games on one of these? That would help so much. Thank you.
>>
File: 20160801_164927.jpg (165KB, 1567x881px) Image search: [Google]
20160801_164927.jpg
165KB, 1567x881px
And also this. Not really sure where to post this but I wanted to share because I though it was cool. General Electric B&W from the 60s-70s still in service at NIU Faraday Hall. It must have been up there for that long since the glass looks good as new. Anybody know what specific model it might be?
>>
>>3396205
My MX4000 SW 3.1 supports NTSC. Are there older versions that don't?
>>
Should I bother foxing a Sony Trinitron 2080r? It only has composite in.

Symptoms are: No picture at all, not even a speck. Electronics seem to turn on, and i think i hear it degauss

No pic because it's just a tv and my phone can't take a decent picture.
>>
>>3408491
No picture would lead me to believe there's a power supply issue. Do you hear 50/60 cycle hum through the speakers or is it completely silent?
>>
>>3408503
I changed my mind. No degaussing, no speaker hum, or tube hum (i can hear tube whine usually) and no other noise... Except I do hear a relay click when i push the power button, and the two fuses I can see are fine.
>>
>>3408526
>>3408491
It might be best to leave that one on the side of the curb unless there's a specific reason you need it working. I would leave it up to a professional anyway.

>>3408526
If you can hear the relay clicking on then there's some lower voltage power through the electronics side. That would indicate that the problem is on the high voltage side which is the extremely dangerous part. The relay itself may have also failed on the contacts side, the coil seems to be fine if it's clicking on.
>>
>>3408548
>That would indicate that the problem is on the high voltage side
It *may* indicate that it's on the high voltage side. There's still a possibility that the electronics are gone as well. I'm pretty certain that there's something screwy in the HV side though.
>>
>>3408526

Throw it in the fart garbage, get yourself a new teebee.
>>
>>3408548
>>3408559
It could also be that the jungle chip is saving your life by disabling the HV section due to x-ray danger.
>>
>>3408665
In that case maybe it would be a good idea to cut the cord on this TV also. Anyone that could fix the thing should be more than capable of replacing the cord.
>>
>>3408442

take that thing NOW !
>>
>>3408392
Sorry for ignoring your question, but how are those 9" PVMs? There are couple offers for about 20$ from one guy near me
>>
>>3408836
I've got one and they're pretty good for desktop use and all. I'd recommend the one's with the HR in the top left since they have a high line count and have a sharper picture as a result.
>>
How are PVMs with 480i?
>>
>>3408921
Theyre made for 480i
>>
>>3408982
I just heard that their sharpness meant that interlacing artifacts were amplified.
>>
>>3408921

The 9"s look okay with 480i. My 20" looks like ass with it.

AFAIK there's no reason to be stuck playing 480i, all 6th gen and up have 480p+ for all games. Just takes a little bit of messing with for PS2.

Just buy a multiformat set if you want to do 6th gen on something bigger than 9".
>>
>>3409092
>just buy a multiformat set

If only it were that easy.

Also 480i looks great on my 20' but maybe because it's a BVM.
>>
>>3409092
>6th gen all games 480p
not even close.

oh and the 480i hate train is here
almost like none of you have ever used CRTs outside of 240p on your PVMeme

people in this thread are the type to force 480i into 240p on the 6th+ gen with an rgb interface
>>
File: 2457246825689.jpg (9KB, 201x250px) Image search: [Google]
2457246825689.jpg
9KB, 201x250px
>>3407814
>>3407832
Holy shit please no. If this is the future I guess I need to hurry up and get a PVM before they start skyrocketting in price.

I will have to get rid of one of my Trinitron TVs if I get a PVM to cut down on household clutter, but one of them is in kind of junky condition anyway and never had a very clean picture so I won't miss it.
>>
>>3409176
>PVMeme
So I assume this means that they look like shit with interlacing. If that's so, what does look great with 480i?
>>
>>3409176

>He's too retarded to softmod his consoles

I mean, I was expecting someone to pull out some 3DO-esque obscurity, but the big three are all basically trivial to force every game into 480p.
>>
>>3409349
>he wants to turn 6th gen 480i into 240p

top kek
and no most ps2 games are not 480p
>>
>>3409352

>implying 240p

like I said

>he's too retarded to softmod his consoles
>>
>>3409358
My original post was about 240p
keep up
like i said
>most ps2 games are not 480p unlike the dreamcast

oh and
>he plays his games how the developer never intended to avoid 480i bogeyman
>he buys another entire CRT just to avoid 480i bogeyman
>>
>>3409318
Tubes with somewhat longer phosphor persistence are liable to look better with 480i stuff, at the cost of possibly getting a small amount of ghosting if it's too long.
My Megaview looks wonderful with 480i content, honestly.

>>3409349
Xbox and GC, sure they work well enough on forced resolutions(mainly the latter, the former is already almost entirely 480p+ capable), but the PS2 is insanely hit or miss on forcing 480p+, and even when it does go decently, you're almost always stuck with a reduced/windowboxed picture.

240p GC is a neat thing to screw around with though.
>>
>>3409368

The PS2's internal framebuffer is 480p for the vast majority of games. It's a simple matter to force the games to actually display at the framebuffer resolution. Literally the only game I care about that doesn't work with this (using retail disks) is We Love Katamari, which I don't mind because the first one works and is a better game anyways.

Games that use a nonstandard framebuffer (like 448x480) will be displayed in 1:1 PAR, but this is easily correctable with use of H and V size controls.

I'm sitting here playing MGS3 in HD and all you fags are telling me it's impossible.
>>
File: 1406861562272.jpg (995KB, 1440x900px)
1406861562272.jpg
995KB, 1440x900px
Is it normal for a CRT TV running 480i games for n64/xbox/ps2 to have shaky letters and vertical lines, like the lines around menus in an RPG?
I'm using component cables, BTW.
>>
>>3409619
Yes
>>
>>3408101
100hz its crap
>>
>>3409748

it has the exact same front bezel as the sony fw900 except a bit bigger

so maybe its not crap considering what a legacy the fw900 has
>>
>>3409370
I have an old consumer CRT that looks like the left here. If I am to be honest, 480i looks quite blurry, but I haven't tested it with RGB yet.
Is that just how this pixel array is? Are shadow masks and aperture grilles better?
>>
File: CRT_pixel_array.jpg (503KB, 2000x960px) Image search: [Google]
CRT_pixel_array.jpg
503KB, 2000x960px
>>3409807
Forgot picture.
>>
If I have a tv emitting a chirping noise while it's powered off and the screen is slowly starting to stretch horizontally in the middle, there's probably a capacitor dead, right?
>>
File: 32fd2.jpg (250KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
32fd2.jpg
250KB, 1024x768px
>>3408339
>>3408101
Thanks for giving the model #, looked it up and it looks really promising. TWO vga inputs, THREE scart ports, plus s-video, and it uses detachable speakers that can be affixed to the sides. NTSC and PAL compatible, but I can't find any info on supported resolutions. Safe to say it'd be ideal for 6th and 7th gen games, and with those VGA ports it would be the easiest consumer CRT in the world to turn into an emulation display for retro.

I don't know how to decipher model # codes, but FD1E looks like a code for Sony's BVM line. The FW900 uses the same tube as the BVM-D24E1WU. That set uses a similar form-factor, so there's a chance that 32FD1E has a 32-inch BVM tube.

Only place I could find decent pictures of that model:
http://allearchiwum.pl/tvsony_32_100hz_kv32fd1e-406148353.html
>>
>>3410062
I wouldn't get such expectation on having an FW900-like tube. would be way overkill even for an high end tv.
>>
>>3410062
>The FW900 uses the same tube as the BVM-D24E1WU.

Thats just something someone made up

Not true
>>
>>3409807
>>3409808
Slot mask is my favorite but its not really as sharp
Especially up close.
>>
>>3410062
Its HD man (yea you can send higher than 480i over scart)

I still would want it but not for 150
>>
>>3410062
>100hz
nope
>>
>>3409807

Aperture Grille is a meme for a reason
>>
>>3410268
Higher quality is a meme

Nice
>>
>>3410271
Why does this dumbass have to ruin every thread by arbitrarily deciding anything that's not complete dogshit is a meme?
>>
>>3410271

It is, though.

The counter meme is hipster faggots like >>3410212 preferring slot mask for contrarian reasons
>>
>>3410268
Fuck off, idiot.
>>
>>3410324
So how would you rank slot masks, shadow masks, and grills? Does it depend on the application?
>>
Reminder that shadow mask looks better than aperture grille

aperture grille is only brighter

slot masks look great for interlaced and 240p from further away

Not about hipster contrarian, its about not preferring black lines taking half my image.
>>
>>3410369

Aperture Grille >> Dot Mask >>>>>>> Slot Mask

Slot mask could look okay, except for that stupid fucking offset thing they do with it. Also there's the fact that it's strongly correlated with the cheapest sets and usually has fuckhuge .79mm phosphor pitch.

Dot mask is also kind of an ugly pattern, but it's common on computer monitors, so usually the mask is small enough that you don't see the actual phosphor layout from a common viewing distance.

Slot Mask can have a more "nostalgic" feel, since most of the cheap sets we grew up with would have had said .79mm slot mask. I keep two composite-only, consumer slot mask CRTs around to remind me of how bad it was back in the day. I play them for five minutes and immediately switch back to my PVMeme
>>
File: 102_0033.jpg (1MB, 3280x2460px)
102_0033.jpg
1MB, 3280x2460px
>>3410630
>I keep two composite-only, consumer slot mask CRTs around to remind me of how bad it was back in the day.
Try getting an RGB based Slot Mask. It's bretty gud.
>>
File: save.webm (1MB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
save.webm
1MB, 854x480px
How do we feel about vids of CRT's?
>>
>>3410385
And better colors
>>
>>3410638
So what display is that?
>>
>>3410689
Any videos I take have a ton of moire
>>
File: Magical Taruruto-kun.webm (1MB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Magical Taruruto-kun.webm
1MB, 1440x1080px
>>3410732
Technically, you could do an RGB mod on a consumer set, but there's also arcade chassis to look at.

This is a Mitsubish Megaview though.

>>3410689
Looks like I've been beaten to that punch.
Difficult, but the payoff is fantastic if you get it to work right.
>>
File: trinitron.jpg (951KB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
trinitron.jpg
951KB, 4032x3024px
>>3393957
So I'm planning on buying a CRT off of Craigslist and the dude I'm talking to sent me this pic. Does anybody own this model and know what the native resolution is? The guy selling it doesn't know.

His ad says it's a 24 inch Sony Trinitron.
>>
File: Klonoa Fan Loop.webm (980KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Klonoa Fan Loop.webm
980KB, 640x480px
>>3410806
>know what the native resolution is
These aren't LCDs, "native resolutions" don't work that way with CRTs.
That said, it's an SD CRT TV, so it'll be fine for 240p/480i from retro systems.
Model wise?; Looks like a KV-24FS12.
RF, 1 Composite/S-Video input on the back, 1 Composite input on the front
Headphone option on the front, audio out available on the back.

>>3410782
To clarify, that webm is of a PVM, not the Megaview. Most of the videos I've put together of the Megaview have made it to youtube rather than fitting webm formatting; And what hasn't, for the most part was taken with my old turd of a camera.
>>
>>3410069
>>3410075
>>3410217
>>3410251

Another angle

looks very similar construction as the fw900
>>
>>3410829
Let's say I want to hook up an Xbone to it, would it look like ass?
>>
>>3410882
Yes we know this

its not a fucking fw900
it has a regular old HD tube

>>3410897
You want a PC CRT or an HD CRT

the xbone cant do 240p as far as i know and yes those cheap amazon HDMI to composite boxes are diarrhea
>>
What is the standard display gamma of SD CRTs?
>>
>>3410829
>These aren't LCDs, "native resolutions" don't work that way with CRTs.
They do work similarly with HD or ED Digital Consumer Sets
Those kind of CRT's support only 480p and up and don't do 15khz(instead they digitally scale shit to 480p)

That TV on that guy's image might be an EDTV
>>
>>3410961
480p and up isnt the same as native resolution
>>
File: CRT Axl Bait.jpg (712KB, 1100x1598px) Image search: [Google]
CRT Axl Bait.jpg
712KB, 1100x1598px
>>3410961
>That TV on that guy's image might be an EDTV
It's not. Not only does it not match the design that Sony's ED/HD sets had, but it's also too small.
The smallest Hi-Scan model Sony released was 27 inches.
>>
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Real-RGB-Scart-Cable-AV-Lead-Cord-for-PS3-PS2-PS-1-One-PAL-/131604305678?hash=item1ea43a570e:g:5MwAAOSwFnFV9~AD

Is this legit for RGB?
>>
>>3410961
>EDTV
Consumer ED CRTs don't exist.
>>
>>3411359
Sony WEGA?
>>
My phone isn't letting me post a pic but GUYS THIS FV300 LOOKS SO FUCKING GOOD OH MY SHIT
>>
File: kv-27fs120.png (1MB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
kv-27fs120.png
1MB, 800x600px
>Picked up a free KV-27FS120 today

It's surprisingly nice desu.

I've been DDing a 20" PVM but this thing is actually big enough to comfortably do couch multiplayer . Even at 20" I still feel compelled to pull the chair up pretty damn close, but this is much better for 2 and 4 player stuff.

Convergence isn't that great, but I only notice it when I'm sitting in my autist close setup. From my social 1.5-2 m distance it's fine. "Neutral" sharpness seems to be about ~40% to 50% on the slider, with "Edge VM" set to OFF.

Contrast is not as good as the PVMs, it tends to crush blacks. Jacking up the brightness fixes the blacks, but then crushes the whites.

Also the screen "regularity" or whatever isn't as good as my PVMs, my 20L5 has one slightly dark patch but this thing has several of them. They are quite noticeable on games with flat backgrounds like SMB1, not noticeable at all on THPS2.

Sound is like 7/10, it's a couple of orders magnitude better then my PVM, but still not near as good as my $50 computer 2.1 set. It has an *acceptable* bass response, but nothing to write home about and as a bass guitarist I find it quite lacking. Still, the ~120 hz range bass is 'audible', and it doesn't make me feel like I immediately need to set up a speaker set like my PVMs and mono consumershits do. One nice touch is that mono audio on the left channel is automatically routed to left and right, so you don't need an adapter.

Composite actually looks BETTER than my PVMs. I think this must be due to the comb filter, which the PVMs lack. This plus the automatic mono adjustment means I'm finding my stock NES front-loader actually playable.

Anyone here modded a consumer trinitron for RGB?
>>
File: L1146124.jpg (61KB, 650x505px)
L1146124.jpg
61KB, 650x505px
Do you guys have a preference in terms of screen size? I'm trying to decide between a 20" and 27" CRT. Space isn't necessarily an issue, but I don't want the picture to be too stretched.
>>
>>3411595
>but I don't want the picture to be too stretched.
wut
>>
>>3410689
please post more
also whats your webm converting setup
>>
>>3411601
>>
>>3411595

I like smaller size for older things (right now MSX and Famicom), and 27 for things newer than that. I'm fine with either for whatever, though I feel like I wasn't as happy with 3D games on the smaller display.
>>
File: lava.webm (2MB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
lava.webm
2MB, 854x480px
>>3411608
same angle/focus/tilt/game, but just webm online-convert is all, nothing crazy.
>>
>>3411595
Fuck i have that exact tv
>>
>>3411724
looks like sharpness/VM got pushed 2DAMAX on the 27"
>>
>>3411747
Any post processing being done? That's some crazy precise DoF you've got going on there.

Also, camera+settings?
>>
>>3411859
What the fuck is a Kya? Some kind of Car?
>>
>>3411724
>That screenshot from My Life In Gaming

Not sure if I'm the only one thinking this but is it just me or do those guys make games with RF or Composite output look worse than they actually do? They also seem to be fond of modding consoles so they'd output RGB or even HDMI while also shilling for modders. Don't get me wrong: I found some of their videos to be very informative (especially the playstation 1 one) but I wonder how many times they are actually sincere about the things they're saying.
>>
>>3411792
How do you like it?
>>
File: IMG_1972.jpg (185KB, 543x965px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1972.jpg
185KB, 543x965px
>>3411724
This isn't really a good comparison for his situation. There won't be nearly as big a difference. As far as 20" vs 27", both will look similar to the right picture, but the 27" might have thicker scanlines. Lower quality composite video looks not too good on bigger TVs, so if you're big on NES or any composite only console, don't go for it. Otherwise if you have at least S-Video for most consoles I'd say go for it. Here's a crappy pic of Mischief Makers through S-Video on my 27" Trinitron before it died.
>>
>>3411937
I feel you, man. Personally, I don't like what all the elitist RBG stuff has turned me into. I have a 14 inch PVM, and composite looks great on it; but now that I've seen RGB videos and various HDMI mods, I'm not satisfied with what looked perfectly fine as it was. I find myself analyzing every pixel instead of enjoying the game. It's sad to say, but the little yellow cable just doesn't cut it anymore.
>>
File: $_20 (1).jpg (35KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
$_20 (1).jpg
35KB, 800x600px
I dont have the space for a large TV any more.

I want to find a 13" trinitron. my sister used to have one that was composite only but it was pretty good. I could probably do a RGB mod to it.

Havent been able to find any PVM's
>>
>>3411962
Thanks for the input. I'll probably go for the 27" then!
>>
>>3411978
Those 13" trinitrons are all over ebay

but unless you use RGB on a meme machine you will be shunned by this thread.
:^)
>>
>>3411995
there are 13" tvs with component in
>>
>>3411996
There a list somewhere?
Im sure its very few, but im interested.
>>
http://www.ericselectronics.com/shop/sony-televisions/sony-trinitron-tvvcr-combo/
>>
>>3412005
KV-13FS100 and 13FS110 are the only two 13' I know of from Sony's side with component.
>>
>>3411937

Nah dude I'm like >>3411972 , once you fall for the meme it's hard to go back. The sealer for me was plugging in composite / s-video / RGBs cords and quickly swapping between them. That said you probably won't notice much the difference anyways unless you're on a set with enough chroma bandwidth, and lots of consumer sets include nice comb filters for cleaning up composite anyways.

Basically they only notice the difference so much because I'm assuming they're using something like a PVM/BVM.

S-video on an SD Trinitron in good condition will get you 80% of the way there. Even then there's some rabbit holes you can fall down, I.E. my s-video modded Snes Mini looks 100x better than my stock OG model, with the difference being noticeable even on the consumer Trini
>>
>>3411859
Post is trimming in QuickTime and converting to MP4 in Handbrake.

Camera is a D7000, 720p/30fps/hq mov file. Lens is a tilt shift, Nikon 85mm, wide open at 2.8, with the tilt as perpendicular to the screen as possible, for a shallower DOF look. Shutter is 1/30. Was on shutter priority but I still got those dark gaps so just switched to manual and it seemed fine.
>>
>>3411595

27" will have thicker "scanlines" and is much better for multiplayer. Bigger sets can tend not to be quite as sharp / geometry issues, and are a bigger pain in the ass to move. If you're a strong dude you can probably lift the 27" with only a little straining but it's still going to be shit getting it up onto a TV stand or similar.

20" are fine for 240p stuff,and the smaller size looks a little better for 480i stuff but you'll want to pull the chair up close. It's much easier to find PVMs and BVMs in 20", including some that can do 480p and up without lag.
>>
File: 1468683357913.jpg (18KB, 320x320px)
1468683357913.jpg
18KB, 320x320px
>>3412009
>http://www.ericselectronics.com/shop/sony-televisions/sony-trinitron-tvvcr-combo/
>>
>>3412092
Ah, I was pretty sure it was a more tele lens. Thankfully I can get to 85 on my 70-200.

But I'll be at f4, maybe I can get my 35mm f2 to do that, closer min focus distance too. Thanks pal
>>
>>3411937
Not at all, my man. That's how that stuff looks. Granted, you don't have to go full on RGB for everything. I just do S-Video into my Trinitron for most consoles and it still looks fan-fucking-tastic. I'm sure it would look even better with RGB, but I'm not worried about it. But pay attention to the shots without scanlines. Most of the time, MLIG are trying to serve the purpose of helping people play their old hardware on a modern home theater setup, so usually you're seeing composite and RF on an LCD, which is why it looks so bad. Although I think RF on even the best CRT looks like a smeared mess of old horse garbage.
>>
File: 18keudo7qm0vngif.gif (2MB, 636x469px)
18keudo7qm0vngif.gif
2MB, 636x469px
BVM #4 is bought:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-BVM-20F1E-/272334401972?hash=item3f686531b4:g:G4sAAOSwbsBXqFVf

The gf is going to KILL ME
>>
>>3412542
You don't need her anyway.
>>
>>3412453
>Most of the time, MLIG are trying to serve the purpose of helping people play their old hardware on a modern home theater setup, so usually you're seeing composite and RF on an LCD, which is why it looks so bad. Although I think RF on even the best CRT looks like a smeared mess of old horse garbage.

Just rewatched some videos and I believe your assumptions are right. I agree that RF ain't that good even on CRTs, especially if it's a more worn-out cable.
>>
File: 4L_BwZ918zm.jpg (335KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
4L_BwZ918zm.jpg
335KB, 1920x1080px
>>3412594
Yeah, I think those guys are genuinely just trying to help out. Personally, I got a CRT with a good comb filter so that I don't have to fuck with modding my NES, etc. and can get by on composite. But I'm perfectly happy with S-Video and component for everything else.
>>
>>3412631
They seem pretty honest and straightforward with their opinions. I don't mind watching some quality vids on CRT's PVM's and retro gaming.

I very much appreciate that they dive into 6th gen
>>
>>3412671
Me too! I'm of the super secret opinion that 6th gen makes perfect sense for this board, but the point is that anything pre-HDMI is totally relevant when you're talking about analog video signal from old consoles.
>>
File: 1451726889165.jpg (45KB, 428x487px) Image search: [Google]
1451726889165.jpg
45KB, 428x487px
PVM-14M4U newfag here. Kinda disappeared because I had to wait a while to order a better cable. It just came in today.

To recap, I noticed two issues with my picture after about a day of play: Fuzzy horizontal lines scrolling up the screen, mostly visible on darker images, and a very subtle rippling only noticeable on very bright colored images, mostly white and yellow.

So I connect the new cable, and the fuzzy shit disappears. But the rippling was still there. After a lot of messing around and staring at the screen, I finally noticed that the ripples seemed to become more noticeable as the sound got louder and flat out disappeared during silent moments. So I disconnected the audio connectors from my monitor and that seems to have done the trick.

So, err... Is this something that just happens with monitors like this? I mean, I was planning to get some external speakers for stereo sound anyways, but I always thought it was for just better sound. Does the audio signal typically fuck with the video on PVMs or am I just willfully tricking myself into thinking this is the problem and the ripples are actually still there?
>>
Won't have enough space for the size of TV i want desu, how do you think prices will be in a year?
>>
>>3413305
This excuse is terrible. There's always enough space.
>>
>>3413328
There really isn't, its a pretty small apartment.
>>
File: 1466679264421.jpg (19KB, 462x579px)
1466679264421.jpg
19KB, 462x579px
>>3412542
Maybe it's not the gf I should be worried about...

Seriously, am I gonna get shanked when I turn up to collect? It's suspiciously cheap even for a parts unit.
>>
File: MVI_5019-iYo5vGSVrww (1).webm (776KB, 848x480px) Image search: [Google]
MVI_5019-iYo5vGSVrww (1).webm
776KB, 848x480px
We in
>>
File: IMG_20160721_185847[1].jpg (3MB, 4096x2304px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160721_185847[1].jpg
3MB, 4096x2304px
I didn't know FW-900s grow in the woods ?

the hell is this ?
>>
>>3413580
honestly not sure if youre the guy who picked one up earlier in the week, but the photo quality is noticeably different.

take her home, anon
>>
>>3413580
repost
>>
>>3413586

no, but I saw that pic on some forum somewhere recently, cant remember which, but I saved this pic cause it was so
weird in a way of its own
>>
i picked this Grundig 3300 out of a electronic dump heap and when i turned it on it worked fine. i opened the back, cleaned out the crap, took it home with me and was none the wiser. after testing with a few different console i eventually ran into the issue you see in the image, along with the smell of burning plastic. ive never been a CRT collector or even worked with monitor related eletronics.

searching for the solution present a few simple fixes, but my question to you /crt/ is how safe is it to work on a CRT with 0 experience beforehand? the forums ive come across have said one wrong move and you can fry yourself to death, explode a screwdriver out of your hand or have hundreds of pieces of sharp lead glass fly your way.

normally i would just chuck junk electronics back where i found them but this is my only 60Hz CRT and would quite like to keep it for fighting games. its also quite large which is ideal for social gatherings
>>
File: IMG_20160520_223612.jpg (1MB, 4112x2240px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160520_223612.jpg
1MB, 4112x2240px
I recently got a television that seems somewhat surprising, its a black n white

A Grundig from 1958 made in West Germany and looks all original inside, nothing missing

Would all the TV-service places laugh at me if I bring this thing in for repair and decline it ?, its all vacuum tube ?
>>
File: IMG_20160808_164426.jpg (428KB, 1792x1008px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160808_164426.jpg
428KB, 1792x1008px
Guess what I found at the thrift store today
>>
File: IMG_20160808_164439.jpg (577KB, 1792x1008px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160808_164439.jpg
577KB, 1792x1008px
>>3413662
>>
File: 4L_ZPVtAik0.jpg (7KB, 187x269px) Image search: [Google]
4L_ZPVtAik0.jpg
7KB, 187x269px
>>3413670
AW DIGGITY DAYAMN
>>
File: 1465148802842.gif (1MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1465148802842.gif
1MB, 500x281px
>>3413670
>>
File: 1394985540429.jpg (18KB, 267x200px) Image search: [Google]
1394985540429.jpg
18KB, 267x200px
>>3413670
jealous
>>
File: trinit.jpg (87KB, 720x1280px)
trinit.jpg
87KB, 720x1280px
This is a Sony Trinitron, but could somebody try to guess the exact model?
>>
>>3413612
Vertical deflection is out. However, just running the tube long enough to take that picture while in that state is enough to cause permanent damage. My guess is that it's done.
>>
>>3413305
>how do you think prices will be in a year

Shitsumer stuff will keep dropping in price, but lower supply

Decent Trinitrons will stay flat, with lower supply

14" and under PVM/BVMs will tick upwards

20" and up PVM/BVMs will go full retarded, especially the multiformats
>>
>>3413801

It's big, probably around 36" or so. Ask the seller for the model number on the back.
>>
>>3407814
Anyone know if you can swap out the back?
>>
>>3407814
>Someone on gumtree advertised one of these as a PVM and was asking $250
That's not even a PVM. Look at the model number. That's likely a security monitor that's most likely burned-in to hell.
No way that's worth more than $10.
>>
>>3413651
I doubt they would even have anyone who could work on it. Let alone parts for it.
>>
>>3413682
>>3413703
>>3413706
samefag?
the reason i ask is because most people here think that composite is satan itself and RGB is the only acceptable way to play games.
>>
File: no.png (12KB, 656x119px) Image search: [Google]
no.png
12KB, 656x119px
>>3413867
no
>>
>>3413863

if the picture tube is good and the flyback transformer it can be fixed
>>
Picked up an immaculate looking Commodore 1701 yesterday, in nearly perfect condition, not yellowed, has the front panel and everything. One question I have is, are there internal potentiometers for geometry adjustment? Everything is mostly fine except the picture "sags" a bit in the middle, if that makes any sense at all. Not badly but it is occasionally noticeable, such as when the screen scrolls horizontally.
>>
File: IMG_0711.jpg (2MB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0711.jpg
2MB, 1536x2048px
>>3413662
>Willow
mynigga.jpg
>>
Hey, can anyone here recommend me an RGB -> Component transcoder for 240p stuff? Obvious requirements are it needs to be a true transcoder (no lag, scaling), and it can't degrade the image at all.

I found the Audio Authority 9A60 on a couple listings on ebay, but it takes a VGA input, and I haven't found anything to say if it works with RGBs.

Looking mainly to connect SNES, unmodded Genesis, N64 to a consumer SD trinitron. Also maybe an NES when I mod it, and maybe an SCPH-1001 but I have other options for that.

What do you guys use?
>>
File: afterburnerii1.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
afterburnerii1.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
>>3414327
>http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SCART-RGB-to-YUV-Component-Video-Converter-Scaler-/221156873851?hash=item337dfa167b:m:mL77q83PIBdVHyF2RvMlcww

This is the one I used until I got my PVMs and Framemeister. It needs some adjustment out of the box but once it's properly set it works real well.

Pic related is an old pic I took of a Samsung CRT that I had.
>>
>>3414327
Why the fuck do you need one?
use s-video instead of wasting money

also the NES RGB mod is shit. All the colors are way off. Composite or bust on NES

also there are component cables for SNES and Genesis
>>
>>3414339
RGB is better than S-Video.
>>
>>3414353
snes > component cable
genesis > component cable
nes > composite because the RGB mod cannot reproduce accurate colors
n64 > s-video

Why waste your money on SCART shittery? also the input signal may be RGB, but the output is ypbpr which looks almost as good, but if youre so anal that you have to have RGB over S-video then im sure you will notice.
>>
>>3414378
Just leave already
>>
>>3414385
?

I see people will go to any lengths to buy scart cables in this thread. Even when their TV doesnt support it.
>>
>>3414378
>>3414394
I really do hope you realize that the very cables you're attempting to shill are exactly the same thing as that box, with the exception that you can use that box for just about any system that outputs RGB, rather than having to buy a dedicated cable for each one.

If you only have/plan/want to get high quality video for one system, and that system happens to be one of the 2/3 that Retrovision offers a cable for, then you're absolutely right: Buying one of those cables is the cheaper and better option.

But the versatility you get from buying a standalone transcoder blows them out of the water as soon as you start looking for a second system.

I'd also like to point out that an RGB modded N64 would work fine with the SNES retrovision cable.
>>
File: 1449434704719.jpg (52KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1449434704719.jpg
52KB, 500x500px
>>3414336

>converter, scaler
no thanks

>>3414339
>Use S-video
If you've ever A-B tested S-video and RGBs you wouldn't be saying that.
Also Model 2 Genesis has RGB out of the box but no S-Video and it seems a little dumb to do a mod for LOWER quality video.

>colors are off
you can flash your own palettes, dummy

NES composite is fucking AWFUL. It's almost passable on a low-res consumer set with a comb filter, but even then it's got shit tons of dot crawl on vertical lines and the black and white doorway shadows in Mario 2 turn into faggot rainbows. On a sharp PVM that lacks a comb filter everything is unbearably shitty.

Anyways I found a cheap used Startech transcoder for 30 so I ordered it for shits and giggles. I also found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191876964053

Which would at least seem to be guaranteed to work with RGBs and has easy compatibility with >scart meme. No reviews on the item itself, but the seller has a bunch of positive reviews from people who bought that item.

It kind of looks like a well-done homebrew job of something so I might buy one and see if I can reverse engineer his design. I found a couple specs for transcoders floating around, but I'm still not sure exactly how to handle generation of the color burst signal.
>>
>>3414405
You would have to have Scart cables as well, not just the transcoder

2 scart cables and that transcoder vs 2 component cables

do you not think its stupid to buy all this shit for a consumer trinitron?
>>
>>3414409
None of the palettes are accurate, even nintendo wii VC is close, but no palette will ever be accurate.

>If you've ever A-B tested S-video and RGBs you wouldn't be saying that.
keep in mind this is a consumer TV with no RGB do you still think that transcoding rgb to component is worth it?
>Model 2 Genesis has RGB out of the box but no S-Video and it seems a little dumb to do a mod for LOWER quality video.
he said it was unmodded
>>
>>3414416
Considering their price is the same(2 decent SCART cables @~$20 each+$50 transcoder vs $44+44), I don't see the issue.

I don't mind having extra cables laying around for various shit, so maybe it's just me.

Additionally, the fact that Retrovision doesn't have any cables available and doesn't seem to every time I've checked sort of puts a damper on your idea.

>>3414424
I've haven't seen anyone complaining about the Hi-Def NES's colors, and that may be getting an analog output option in the future, so that's a thought.
>>
>>3414435

>Decent Scart cables = $20 each

6ft VGA cables are like $3 each at the electronic surplus store, and then all you need is two of those $3 ebay SCART cables and some shrink wrap

>No palette will EVER be accurate
>Nintendo infused trace amounts of pure rare earth Kryptonite into the rarified composite encoder. No set of tristimulus values known to man can simulate their rare lustre
>>
Whatever. You guys can argue over minor picture purist shit all day. IMO get anything better than RF and dont bother with all these memes instead of just playing games.

Coming from a guy with a BVM.

Oh and about the NES
>No palette will EVER be accurate
This is true, have fun with your oversaturated colors and fucked up brightness
>>
>>3414452

>what are tristimulus values

How fucking dumb are you? Why are you here?
>>
>>3414443
I was aiming for the lowest common denominator in this, i.e unable/unwilling to make their own cabling and just wanting to buy everything.

As such, RCG or RCA's standard offerings.
>>
File: 1396437789171.gif (2MB, 460x259px) Image search: [Google]
1396437789171.gif
2MB, 460x259px
You faggots need to be happy with what you have. There are children in Africa playing Atari 2600 with B/W RF-only TVs.
>>
>>3414454
Why are no palettes correct if its that easy?

How dumb are you? Why are you here?
>>
>>3414459
Once they buy all these memes. Then they'll realize that the picture purist bullshit doesn't give the same feeling as playing your retro games on a composite only consumer CRT. Constantly being concerned with image quality takes some of the fun out of actually playing the games.

Seems like most people on this board are only here to try and recreate their childhood gaming experiences, but with PVMemes and RGB the experience is nothing like the one theyre trying to chase was.
>>
>>3414469

>I'm too dumb to read Wikipedia
>I'm too dumb to pass undergrad chemistry
>I'm too dumb to desolder a DIP package
>I'm too poor to buy a $80 mod package

>I saw some guy on a forum say it's inaccurate
>and it fits my prejudices so I'm sticking with it
>>
File: 5NUrm6U[1].png (228KB, 1550x816px) Image search: [Google]
5NUrm6U[1].png
228KB, 1550x816px
>>3414478
No I'm too lazy.

and guess what, none of these palettes are accurate.

Ive never seen anyone but 20LFag complain about the palettes

I'm not sure why you're so triggered by the simple fact that none of these are accurate.

Also you're implying that I want to RGB mod my NES.

Are you the same guy who implied that I want to solder my own cables a few threads back?
>>
File: 1451211996138.jpg (257KB, 741x1079px) Image search: [Google]
1451211996138.jpg
257KB, 741x1079px
>>3414473
Can't go back to the garden, anon. Once we know there's better, we can never go back.

As someone who just spent the last month in perpetual moodiness over wondering if his PVM was broken or just some minor shit, I can safely say it feels fucking amazing once you actually have your shit together. I'll never be able to go back to composite ever again.
>>
File: 1449573706957.png (57KB, 173x179px) Image search: [Google]
1449573706957.png
57KB, 173x179px
>>3414490

Yes, it's possible that the current palettes, in RGB space are not accurate to the colors produced that same monitor's composite decoder.

It's also very likely that the resulting tristimulus values produced are not the same as whatever shit out of the composite decoder on the fuckbox you grew up with.

What I'm telling you, retard, is that you can literally go purchase a color probe, and go match and upload any fucking retarded PAL, SECAM, "Somy Turniton", whatever fucking dumb palette that YOU think is accurate and play that on your NES. The pre-existing palettes are people matching their RGB decoders to THEIR composite decoders, if you want to match your own set you'll need to make the palettes yourself.

Your reposting an image of emulator screenshots does not constitute an argument. You're at cross-purposes and not refuting my original points.

What do you even do for a living?
>>
>>3414506
Why in the fuck would I make my own palette. NES composite is fine.

Implying you had any original points.

None of this changes the fact that there will never be an objectively accurate NES palette.
>>
>>3414327
I also have >>3414336 converter and it worked great on what I tested. It is NOT a scaler.
>>
>there will never be an accurate palette
>if there is no solution then there is no problem
>>
>>3414510

>heh well pal I can't refute your argument
>so I'll just repeat that same dumb shit again >NES palettes are exempt from laws of physics and human perception

t. sandwich artisan
>>
>>3414520
Sorry anon I can't give you anything but my opinion
Also naturally if everyone had a different television with a different composite decoder then it is impossible for a palette to objectively be accurate for everyone.

I'm saying if anyone wants accuracy, then dont RGB mod your NES.

I never implied that I wasn't happy with composite.

Stop bringing your insecurity about careers into this thread.
/vr/ used to be a civil board where you could have discussions without insulting each other.
>>
File: IMG_2580resized.jpg (4MB, 3000x2250px)
IMG_2580resized.jpg
4MB, 3000x2250px
>People getting this defensive and mad in a thread about old TV's
Jesus christ, the things grown men do on the internet.
>>
How do you guys think the internal scaler of those older dell monitors are?

1200p resolution
>>
>>3414694
Not /crt/ and 64ms input lag

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_2408wfp.htm

I'd pass on it for gaming tbqh
>>
File: Mrbones.png (85KB, 219x229px)
Mrbones.png
85KB, 219x229px
>parents almost threw away my old crt because they thought it was junk
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Saturn RGB on a PVM-8044Q.
>>
So I just got a Sony Trinitron 34xbr800 from my dad for free (he was upgrading screens).

How good is it?
>>
>>3415050
It's an HD CRT, which means 240p content won't really sit well because it'll be scaled poorly. It's only really good for 6th gen and up or emulation via PC or Wii.
>>
>>3415082
Well shit.

I also just powered it up and Duckhunt won't work.

I have a proper non-HD CRT, but it's only like 13" and it only accepts composite.
>>
File: DSC01039.jpg (4MB, 3088x3544px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01039.jpg
4MB, 3088x3544px
Im getting a lot of blue bleed on my pvm-14n6u, green and white are as sharp as can be, blue is pretty bad and red could be better. Is this just due to cabling? Im using a cheap svideo cable on a gamecube running 240p test suite in pic related. I know I should get rgb cables but I dont want to spend the money since im flat broke.
>>
>>3415103
ignore it if you dont want to spend money.
>>
>>3415082
Also, will usig a SVideo cable mitigate any scaler issues?
>>
>>3415110
lol I wanted to know if it was a cable issue or if I need to change settings, since white and green look perfect to me
>>
>>3415117
>how strong is the bleeding ? After all bleeding on highly saturated colors (especially reds) is what differentiates s-video (with a combined chroma carrier channel) from RGB with three dedicated color carriers. So - to some degree - this should be expected from a s-video signal

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=49713
>>
>>3415127
Thanks, I guess Ill look into making my own rgb cables since that seems to be the cheapest option
>>
>>3415131
Just to be sure you're using a pal cube right, theres no way for ntsc cubes to output rgb
>>
>>3415137
I have an ntsc cube, but the cable wouldnt be for that anyway. I just dont have any way to run homebrew on my snes at the moment
>>
>>3415113
no
>>
File: IMAG0180.jpg (3MB, 5376x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0180.jpg
3MB, 5376x3024px
I've been playing retro games on a HD flat-screen so I adopted this guy from a friend who was going to throw it out. Did I make the right call?
>>
>>3415719
>Did I make the right call?
>Made in Mexico
Probably not.
>>
File: wega.jpg (17KB, 600x398px) Image search: [Google]
wega.jpg
17KB, 600x398px
What do you guys think the resolution on this thing is?
>>
>>3415758
480i/240p
>>
>>3415761
Huh, I thought Wega's had a higher resolution. Kind of a newfag to CRTs btw.
>>
>>3415772
WEGA crts cover a pretty wide range.
>>
>>3415719
Sfine
>>
File: wega2.jpg (82KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
wega2.jpg
82KB, 900x1200px
So this guy is saying this WEGA has HDMI ports.

Red flag?
>>
>>3415994
>Red flag?
yes
>>
>>3416037
Not him but is there another reason for it being a redflag apart from him obviously lying, or is that just it?
>>
>>3416045
>apart from him obviously lying
The issues is that he isn't lying. Digital CRTs are generally just as bad as LCDs for retro gaming.
>>
>>3415994
Well, it does have the little 1080i sticker at the bottom left.
>>
>>3416051
Looked like a normal one to me desu, I've got too get better at this.
>>
>>3416067
>Does it have digital inputs?
Its HD
>does if have a 1080i sticker?
Its HD
>is it widescreen?
Likely HD

also they are 'normal' in the sense that they are extremely common
>>
>>3413801
It's a kv36xbr. Heavy as shit, doesn't work with light guns.
>>
>>3415098
Right, HD CRT's have all the issues LCD's have.

>>3415113
Woah there bud, do NOT mix up picture clarity and resolution. Whether you're using RF or RGB or Component, the signal will stay 240p, thus your TV will scale it. You could fix the scaling issues with a separate dedicated scaler (e.g. framemeister) but at that point you're better off using a nice LCD for a clearer picture.
>>
>>3415719
See >>3415082
>>
New bread
>New bread
>>3416640
>>
>>3413662
>>3413670
Excellent find, especially with the front control door still attached.
Thread posts: 513
Thread images: 129

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.