[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How large is the full ROMset of each console?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: weight_of_library.jpg (41KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
weight_of_library.jpg
41KB, 500x500px
I want to know how many/how big hard drives I will need.

Also how large is the average ROM for each console?

Atari 2600
Intellivision (Speech Module games)
Magnavox Odyssey 2

NES (including FDS games)
Master System
Colecovision
Vectrex

SNES
Genesis (SegaCD) (32X)
PC-Engine (PCE-CD)
NeoGeo (NeoGeoCD)
CD-i

PS
SS
N64 (N64DD)
3DO
Jaguar (JagCD)
PC-FX
Pippin

Dreamcast
PS2
Gamecube
Xbox
>>
>>3388813
Last time I checked, the NES library was roughly 3.7 - 4 GB.

Including bootlegs, a few hacks, and mostly every revision of each ROM.

SNES was around four times bigger; roughly 16 GB.
>>
>>3388827
Forgot to add, SNES ROMs are usually 512KB - 4 MB (which is 4 - 32 Megabits)
>>
>>3388813
> Atari 2600
> Intellivision (Speech Module games)
> Magnavox Odyssey 2
They didn't usually exceed, let's say, eight megabytes, Atari games were like 4-16 KB.

For CD-based systems take a number of games and multiply it by 700, that will be roughly the number of megabytes required for te full library.

N^$ library was like 10 GB IIRC.
>>
>>3388847
Did you mean N64? Because I can imagine the GoodN64 library to exceed 128 GB...
>>
>>3388847
>N^$
>Trying to capitalize numbers

I do that all the time too.
What's wrong with me?
>>
I'm guessing you are just doing single region releases, and not all regions? A full set of redump PS1 bin+cue's for USA is 540GBs. If you decide to go all regions, PS1 alone is nearly 2 TBs.

As a basic rule of thumb, you will need anywhere from 1-5GBs for every console 8-bit or below. 16-bit consoles will run you about 10-25GBs. N64 is about 55GBs, but all the other CD based consoles of that generation will take anywhere from 300GBs to 2TBs depending on if you go all regions or not. I won't help you with 6th gen, that isn't /vr/.

MAME will run you 35-57GBs for the ROMs(depending on if you go Merged or Split), and another 400GBs for the CHD files. On the plus side, most CHD games don't work, so you really only need the CHD files for the ones that do work.
>>
>>3388813
>I will need
Depends how good your Japanese is and how much of a weeb you are. For example my Saturn library is roughly 1TB. Are you going to play Japan exclusive RPGs? AV puzzle games? You may only need a few gigs.

>>3388896
I have the entire US set and all other language exclusives on a 16GB CF.
But if the GoodN64 library includes shitty sm64 hacks then 128GB is no where near enough.
>>
How do you go about finding complete romsets for consoles, anyway?
>>
>>3389220
What? That seems a little excessive unless you have every single game in every single region, in which case - why?

My snes, Genesis, and nes complete romsets were around 500-700mb a piece. The nes one had a lot of rom hacks included as well.
>>
>>3392432
Google, muh nigga.

I trust you own the complete library of whatever system you are looking to download a romsets for :^)
>>
>>3388827
I feel like this is off.
At least, I thought I had the entire NES SNES and Genny on an 8gb sd card.
>>
>>3389220
I am able to fit the entire NES, SNES, N64, GB and GBC libraries onto a 16 GB SD card with room left over. Try again.
>>
>>3392441
Of course. I sleep without any worries at night, knowing I have every arcade cabinet ever made in my basement while I play MAME.
>>
>>3392454
Seems like more trouble than its worth getting a complete mame romset. You know at least half those roms won't work for retarded compatibility reasons, right?

I'd probably just look up a compatability list for your specific version of mame and download games one at a time to make sure you are downloading the correct one.
>>
>>3392448
Hey, that's the size of the complete sets on pleasuredome. I didn't go through and figure out how much was just the NA releases.
>>
>>3392463
I'm not OP, but I know and it doesn't really bother me too much. All the things I wanna play run great on the version I use. I do have a second version just in case. But to date the only time I've had to use it was when I wanna play a specific version of Pang, that was compatible with MAME like five years ago, but isn't anymore.
>>
>>3388827
Wow you're dumb. The entire US NES romset, zipped is right around 100mb. I always carry it around on my phone. NES games are way small. Not as small as 2600 games though, that entire romset is around 8mb.

4th gen was a big explosion in size but still not so much. I had to pare down their libraries a bit to fit them onto the 4gb sd cards in my flash carts. Sega CD of course pushes that up considerably especially if the ISOs are uncompressed.

The move to optical media pushed shit up into the realm of not really being a good idea to just hoard everything but the N64s library is also fairly small, in the same neighborhood as the SNES since the individual games are bigger but there's way fewer of them.

A 32gb SD card should be able to comfortably hold zipped copies of every cartridge game ever released for every system.
>>
>>3392487
>hold zipped copies of every cartridge game ever released for every system.
At least as far as retro is concerned.
>>
>>3392487
Actually, that's the size of GoodNES and GoodSNES. Both include every minor revision of every game (you know, o1, h1c, !, et cetera)
You can Google both. Zipped they're around 1/4 the real size.

>Why would you want every revision and minor release of every ROM anyway?
Well, beats me. Maybe someone would want to play or experiment on every minor version to see if there is a difference.
>>
>>3392586
Every stop to consider that OP might not be an aspie and want every minor revision of every game? Of course not. Aspies never do.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.