[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SONIC CD ON WINDOWS 7

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 2

File: SONIC08--article_image.jpg (42KB, 418x314px) Image search: [Google]
SONIC08--article_image.jpg
42KB, 418x314px
Has anyone here successfully ran sonic CD on windows 7?

I tried the XP patch plus compatibility mode with no results, it says "error: sonic cd is already in use!"

Any clues?
Also please don't send me to some master collection or steam remake bullshit i came to you for a reason.
Worst case scenario, i already have it running on my PSP. But it's not exactly the same as the PC version, from which i have vague memories of save file menus and stuff. That's probably all there is to it besides cinematics, but i wanna run the original game on my computer.
>>
>>3388425
The 2011 version is superior in every way.

get that
>>
>>3388426
what about DOSbox?
it says "needs 256 color mode" but seems more likely to run if i found a way to make it run in that color mode.
>>
>>3388426
>in every way.

It lacks the timer reset mechanic, so no, not in every way.
>>
File: N9sYCxS.png (145KB, 497x540px) Image search: [Google]
N9sYCxS.png
145KB, 497x540px
>>3388425
Try this?
http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=34181
>>
>>3388496
Just curious, were there major differences between the PC version and Genesis/Saturn version of games?

Like, if I wanted to play Sonic 3 & Knuckles, should I try this or should I emulate it?
>>
>>3388512

Genesis version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hupAld7H39o

PC version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulLG5omqIsw
>>
>>3388496
wow this actually worked, and it's by the same guy who made the XP patch. Quite devoted to keep sonic CD alive.

I'm not getting any sounds, but i see the slot for music, i guess i have to download it and tell this program where to retrieve it from.
>>
>>3388512
From what I know:
Ecco has redone high res (640x480) graphics
Sonic 3 & Knuckles has different music
Sonic 3D Blast is very similar to the saturn version, but with a crappier special stage

No idea about Sonic CD PC.
>>
>>3388524
Ok that's what I thought.
I think this was normal back then where a PC version of a console game had different or bad music.
>>
>>3388425
Yes. I got it on Steam.
There is literally nothing wrong with Taxman's remake.
>>
>>3388530
>No idea about Sonic CD PC.

Extra, longer loading time screens.
>>
>>3388537
I guess it's close enough. What I like the most about Sonic CD remake however is Sonic Mania. Not retro though
>>
>>3388537
>There is literally nothing wrong with Taxman's remake.

see: >>3388486

Also no vocals for OP and ED themes.
>>
>>3388570
See: >>3388537
Literally nothing wrong.
>>
>>3388571

But there's a feature that's literally missing.

I'll never know if it was deliberate or an oversight, though.
>>
>>3388537
>>3388426
thanks but if i wanted a new/remade version i would've just looked for one. We all know there's a working version of a game like sonic CD out there, on some compilation or whatever. It's sonic.

>>3388496
this worked. I don't have music yet but im sure it'll work too. So i'm pretty much done here. Feel free to discuss whatever you'd like.

I also made Sonic R and other sega games (virtua fighter 2 and virtua cop/squad) work in case anyone is curious how (it's easy and all documented online tho)
>>
>>3388425
>Has anyone here successfully ran sonic CD on windows 7?

It works fine in Kega Fusion for me, mate. Not sure what your problem is.
>>
>>3388591

Kega Fusion does Sega CD perfectly for me as well.
>>
>>3388591
>>3388595
I wanted the PC version, I got the sega CD version running with no problem a while ago.

I guess im more autistic about certain games than most people. Wow.
>>
>>3388609
I think I feel you Anon.
I have a PC copy of Rayman 2 that's hard to run on new machines.
I could have just bought the GOG version, but damn it I wanted to get this version running. (I did by the way, for the most part.)
>>
I don't understand why you folk with vidya that can run on old versions of Windows don't just run it on old versions of Windows.

Just install separate operating systems or use a VM.
>>
>>3388730
i don't think playing a bunch of old games is worth having multiple OSs on my computer if i can just apply some patch or run in compatibility mode and that's it.
I haven't found a game that i cannot run on windows 7 yet. Maybe i don't play games obscure or old enough, but i'm all set
>>
>>3388764
It's easier to set up virtualbox than it is to hunt for patches and fuck around with compatability mode.
>>
>>3388574
considering the game awards you with a time bonus at the end of every stage, i'd say it's deliberate
>>
>>3388836

In the original, the game rewards you with more time if you time travelled, which made sense and also lets you explore levels without worrying too much about time overs.
>>
>>3388791
1. No, it's not
2. Virtualbox rarely works for 3D games
3. Using modern fixes is usually superior than running raw (for example >>3388496 lets you change a ton of settings you couldn't otherwise.)

>Hunting down patches
http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Category:Windows
Fucking godly wiki. More /vr/ users should contribute for old games.
>>
>>3388425
I just played a bit of it on 8.1 via Steam, so yeah.
>>
>>3389021
1. Really, it is
2. Sonic CD is not 3D
3. Fuck you
>>
>>3388609
Why even play the PC version? It is inferior in every way.
>>
>>3388850

It's funny, I've played the game through dozens of times and I literally never got a "Time over" until the remake. It's not a game-breaker but it does fuck with you sometimes.
>>
>>3388570
>Also no vocals for OP and ED themes.
I consider that an improvement.
>>
>>3389943
edgy
>>
>>3389992
Nope.
>>
>>3389995

nothing personal
>>
>>3388426
>superior in every way
Missing the lyrics for the Japanese OP/ED. is this fixable? Yes. But it does not ship "superior". There are also some minute physics differences.
>>
>>3388486
>>3388574
>>3390020
The timer not resetting and the physics differences are literally just bug fixes. If you want the original grorious nippon steel no baka gaijin allowed original version then just emulate it.
>>
>>3390049
>The timer not resetting and the physics differences are literally just bug fixes.

[citation needed]

I don't know what physics changes are there, but the timer reset thing didn't seem like a bug in the original.
>>
>>3390020
The original version shipped without that song entirely in the US.

I think you'd have to be an extremely petty contrarian to say it's not superior in that regard.
>>
>>3390192

Does the remake include Sonic Boom?
>>
>>3390197
It includes both soundtracks and save functionality, so you can swap the OST to whichever one you want for that stage. So yes, Boom is in the game.

The only real fault is that the FMVs are cropped, but I think there's a fan patch for that.
>>
>>3389992
How is the version without vocals edgy
>>
>>3390730

He's edgy by saying that he prefers the version without vocals. Probably because he thinks he's too cool for wacky japanese rap or something.
>>
>>3388570
>>3390020
The JP OP/ED can be easily modded back in
see description: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCzcHcDXfUw
>>
>>3390951
So it's edgy to not like what you like, but insulting people and throwing around stupid accusations is fine. K.
>>
>>3391776

Shut up, edgekid.
>>
Play it on Fusion with the bios download
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.