[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Game boy/game boy color games that are actually good games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 12

File: image.jpg (262KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
262KB, 900x1200px
Mostly curious what everyone thinks but also looking to maybe add a couple to my collection. Most are god awful. What does /vr/ find good?
>>
>>3387278
Batman is pretty good, it's basically Megaman lite. Robocop (not the GBC version) also good and has fantastic menu music. Metal Gear Solid :GB is probably the best GBC game available. Shantae is right up there as well but rare as fuck.
>>
>>3387325
Sweet, I'll look into those. The only ones I have so far are the Pokemon yellow, gold, crystal, and kirbys dream land 1 and 2.
>>
File: 1388871004647.gif (2KB, 37x72px) Image search: [Google]
1388871004647.gif
2KB, 37x72px
>>3387334
In that case also invest in the Mario Land games, Wario titles, and Tetris. All safe bets, all great that will keep you playing and playing.

To save time it wouldn't hurt to give this a read also:
http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/Game_Boy

http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/Game_Boy_Color

The wiki can be a pretty good recourse of vidya you might have overlooked in the past and it's led me to some real jems.
>>
File: NOPE.jpg (5KB, 476x164px) Image search: [Google]
NOPE.jpg
5KB, 476x164px
>>3387278
As much as I love the entire Pokemon franchise, they're all shit. The very first ones were good for their era for sure, but literally nothing but "updated" graphics and gimmicky features were added over the years. So even now on the 3DS; XY are literally the same game as RBY. Same motives, mechanics and objectives.

If you've never played Pokemon before, definitely play RBY. You're in for a treat. But don't expect anything more from it. Black/White & Black2/White 2 are my favorite Pokemon games, but for the technology at the time, RBY are by far the best. Every sequel after them has no business being as mediocre as they are. Pokemon is probably THE franchise with by far the MOST missed potential.

tl;dr RBY are decent games but nothing remarkable

Other than that, I suggest you try Dragon Warrior II out if you haven't already. It's gud. Metroid Fusion for GBA is really good too even though it's not threadly related. A direct sequel to Super Metroid with virtually the same gameplay. Try it if you haven't.
>>
>>3389508
>Black/White & Black2/White 2 are my favorite Pokemon games

anyone who thinks this is a fucking faggot
>>
File: shitmon removed.png (229KB, 1041x662px) Image search: [Google]
shitmon removed.png
229KB, 1041x662px
>>3389537
Jesus Christ.

If you've never played the games, keep your fucking mouth shut.

Number one, Garbador isn't even the worst designed Pokemon in Gen V (that would be ice cream) but are you really gonna let a few bad designs ruin otherwise decent games? Most of the Pokemon introduced are great. Pic related.

If you wanna go a little further, compare fucking Johto designs to Unova. Johto is 95% shitmon.

I could get into the mechanics of what makes BW/BW2 good, such as the EXP system, but you are clearly retarded based on your maymay there.
>>
>>3389508

RBY's actual battle mechanics were broken garbage if you pay even a little bit of attention. Insert the_problem_with_gen_1.jpg here.
>>
>>3389550
>Insert the_problem_with_gen_1.jpg here.
Wow. You actually go by that retarded image? Literally not one thing is an actual "error" about the games.
>THE SPECIAL STAT XDD
So? That's completely subjective, not a flaw.
>YOU DONT RECHARGE IF YOU KO WITH HYPERBEAM >:( IM MAD!
top kek, git gud
>LEECH SEED/TOXIC STACK DAMAGE :( GAME IS TOO HARD!
like I said, you're apparently stupid, so I dunno why I'm even responding at this point, just bored
>>
>>3389549
The mechanics are all shit
the designs are all stupid shit
the online trading is the stupidest shit
Shiny drops are buffed considerably for casuals

Good luck defending a modern game on /vr/ manchild.

Yellow was always the pinnacle of the series.
>>
File: 1432031680312.png (102KB, 242x259px) Image search: [Google]
1432031680312.png
102KB, 242x259px
>>3389570
I literally said that in my original post.
>>
>>3389570
Don't be a contrarian. Everyone knows the best is Silver.
>>
>>3389573
Well, Crystal you mean? Crystal is literally Silver with more content and moving sprites.
>>
>>3389576
I don't really like some of the changes they made in Crystal, and Silver has better exclusives. But in any case, it's a matter of fact that gen 2 is the best gen.
>>
File: 768.jpg (54KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
768.jpg
54KB, 480x640px
All 3 Wario Lands are incredible, as is Shantae, which feels very much like a WL game.

These are some of my favorite video games period, not just my favorite game boy games
>>
>>3389592
Other than Mareep not being available, how is Crystal not better again?
>>
>>3389554
Come on man some of the things listed in that image are clearly oversights, and the sequels are better games for fixing them
>>
>>3389601
No Mareep is a big one, nerfing the difficulty of catching Suicune, no Aeroblast/Sacred Fire on the birds, the added animations don't look particularly good, etc. Crystal is fine, but between the two I'd rather play Silver.
>>
>>3389609
Well I guess it's subjective then. I don't give 3 fucks about Legendaries, and if I felt like raising a Mareep, I could always trade one into Crystal. Besides, without Crystal, Mareep can't learn Thunderbolt unless you breed, so breeding a Mareep and trading it in to your game is probably your best option for it either way.

>>3389606
If you posted the image, we could talk, but IIRC it's mostly retarded horseshit that's either not a flaw and/or subjective.
>>
>>3389595
>which feels very much like a WL game.
ugh, don't be shitting on Shantae like that, it's actually a good game
>>
>>3389570
>implying emerald wasn't the pinnacle of the series
everything after gen 4 and its digimon legendaries onwards is garbage though
>>
>>3387325
Isn't Robocop on Gameboy just an inferior port of the C64 game?
>>
>>3389794
Platinum is the best game followed by BW2 and HGSS.
>>
>>3389794
I think Emerald is literally the pinnacle too.
I enjoyed my blue and gold version so much as well.

they are not bad games at all.
also, if any of you want a classic pkmn adventure play both pkmn trading card games on GBC.

it's pretty much like the Yu-Gi-Oh handheld games.
>>
>>3389865
nice opinion too bad its shit
>>
If you aren't a manchild then pokemon ended with diamond/pearl

I prefer to pretend that black and white never existed
>>
>>3390027
Platinum perfected Pokemon. Enjoy your broken mechanics, Gameboy.
>>
>>3389537
But Garbador is just a more interesting version of Grimer

Gen 1 secretly has bad Pokemon designs too and I'm not just talking about Jynx, but no one cares because Nostalgia.
>>
>>3389570
>Yellow was always the pinnacle of the series.

It's actually impossible to nostalgiafag this hard, given how pantsshittingly good Gen 2 was when it first came out. Anyone not basing their views on nostalgia would naturally prefer a later gen, or at least one of the remakes.

In other words, no one could actually believe this.
>>
>>3390091
yellow has no remake.
>>
the two harry potter games for gbc are absurdly good
>>
>>3390357
I don't believe you
>>
File: maxresdefault[4].jpg (228KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[4].jpg
228KB, 1920x1080px
>>3390509

And you shouldn't. They're more like 'surprisingly decent'. If you like Harry Potter and you like JRPGs you should definitely play them though.
>>
>>3387278
>Most are god awful
most of what? the library? your own collection?
>>
>>3390509
ok, then don't play them.
I just let say that I played them as a kid expecting another crappy liscensed game, and I thought they were "surprisingly good"
mfw I played them years later and realize they are two of the best fucking rpg I have ever played.
>>
>>3391183
I gave you a chance to actually elaborate on what you said, but you just won't go beyond namedropping. That's a shame
>>
>>3391196
ey, it´s not like I'm earning money with it, if you don´t feel like playing the game, then don´t, it´s fine.
actually If you expected me to spend a couple of my minutes properly elaborating why the game is amazing you should have started by being nice and asking for that, instead of treating people like they owe you anything. You achieve a lot more in life being kind.
No hard feelings, pal.
now go fuck yourself
>>
>>3391215
>if you don´t feel like playing the game, then don´t, it´s fine
then let's help us not waste everyone's time next time and stfu

>being nice
I was, not a single bad word in that post

>treating people like they owe you anything
drop a name, and you're just being spam. If you have something to contribute, do it. If you don't, don't bother.
>>
>>3391225
Ok bro, as always, communication is a matter of two, if you feel you are doing OK and you are being nice by talking like that, why bother?
But what really helps "us" is having grown people posting knowing when they are in position of asking people to do stuff, and when they are cleary not.
You wanted to know if the game was ok, and two different anons told you so. Perhaps it´s you the one supposed to lose his time checking the game by yourself, and having your own
opinion.
And as I told you before, If you wanted me or >>3390513 to elaborate our points, I´m sure we both will love to do so (at the end of the day, is recommending something you like, wich is awesome)
But saying "I gave you a chance to...that´s a shame" perhaps it´s not the best way to talk to people. Just my opinion.
Now let´s keep this talk about games, shall we?
>>
>>3387325
>>3389595
>>3389725
I fell for Shantae meme and played it, remembering the reviews from back in the day. I lasted an hour. Watched a longplay on YouTube and it was more of the same. That's it? Any Warioland game is by far better than that. The only thing good about Shantae is the graphics. Everything else is Monster World-tier platforming.
>>
>>3391248
>when they are in position of asking people to do stuff
>You wanted to know if the game was ok
I wasn't. You had an opportunity to actually post about a game you may like, but instead decided to make a throwaway post of no value. I gave you a chance to fix that, and you got all pissed. You're useless, as far as I am concerned.

>checking the game by yourself
no thanks, I learned enough about the game and its fan base to disregard it as shit.

>I´m sure we both will love to do so
you've proven that, no, you'd rather bitch at some random anon, than talk about a game you claim to like. So I guess you give less of a shit about the game than you pretend.

>Now let´s keep this talk about games, shall we?
That would mean you'd have to actually post something substantial about a game, instead of just namedropping it. What's that old saying? oh right
>now go fuck yourself
>>
>>3391271
>I lasted an hour
so you fought the game for an hour, instead of trying to understand it, and then wondered why it's shit?

>That's it?
the game is consistent in its gameplay. If you refuse to like that gameplay, so be it. Yes, "that's it"
>>
>>3391272
>>3391272
Well pal, I didn´t wanted to be a dick, so I just tried to make you understand a point before pointing this, but you keep talking like people here were working for you.
Also, I´m not keeping with this, so feel free to go full anal beyond this.
I don´t "had the opportunity" to do anything for you·, nor "I make a throwaway" about anything, neither, because, guess what, nobody gives a shit about you or me here.
What you indeed had the oportunity to do was rode the fucking third post of the thread >>3387339 were you can enjoy a very useful guide of cool gbc games, and, guess what, they covered both Harry Potter games, isntead of annoying anons about how should they answer to you.
What you have decided to make clear is that you actually don´t give a fuck about keeping yourself informated about this or any other game, and you expect random people to do the work you don´t want to do.
Check that list if you want, were other anons generously took their time to bring that information to anyone, but keep in mind they did it because they wanted, not because some retarded kids with inferiority complex told them to do so.
Enjoy whatever the thing you like pal!
>>
File: image10.png (291KB, 600x512px) Image search: [Google]
image10.png
291KB, 600x512px
>>3391272
>I learned enough about the game and its fan base to disregard it as shit.
>I'm mad with anon because he doesn't tell me about the game
>>
>>3391336
>I didn´t wanted to be a dick
I wonder who it was that responded with
>now go fuck yourself
Oh right, it was you, dick

>for you
I don't give a shit, this is a recommendation thread and you're namedropping, simple as that

>very useful guide of cool gbc games
So you're suggesting the entire thread is a waste? Fair enough. Next time don't bother posting in it.

>you actually don´t give a fuck about keeping yourself informated
What's the purpose of this thread? Recommendations or wasting everybody's time? The whole concept behind recommendations is recommending things. You failed at the very basics.

>you expect random people to do the work you don´t want to do
I expect people to say more than just the name of a game in order to recommend it. You know, making conversation, on a forum.

>Check that list if you want,
been there, done that. If you want to elevate that list to authority, this thread is useless
>>
>>3391283
Understand what? It's a very simplistic platformer. 1 close-ranged attack, you can run and jump. Most basic physics ever. It's similar to WL because it has adventure elements and different forms to turn into, but it feels simplistic, straight and empty. Level/battle design lacks heavily in particular, a lot of stages are just like a straight line with nothing like different blocks or cool enemies to add variety.

It's not bad, especially because the graphics are admittedly great, but the gameplay is just totally mediocre.
>>
>>3391354
little to be mad about. There are plenty of games out there, and in my backlog. If anon cares enough about a game to namedrop it, I expect them to make a case why that game is better than the rest of my list. They don't give a fuck, and neither do I, simple as that.
Great greentext though. Glad I could help derail this trainwreck of a thread, and thanks for your contribution in it.
>>
>>3391365
And why exactly should anon care about how do you feel about the game? People here comes everyday, say his impression about a game, and discuss them if THEY like. If you don´t wanted to play the game in the first place why the fuck do you come along with all that shit?
fucking summer, man
>>
>>3391386
oh, and btw, Sorcerer Stone was fucking amazing
>>
>>3391386
>And why exactly should anon care about how do you feel about the game?
no reason

>discuss them if THEY like
if only, they just namedrop and throw a hissy fit when someone suggests they expand on that

>If you don´t wanted to play the game in the first place
who says I didn't? Would I have asked for more if I didn't?
>>
>>3391394
and yet you can not be arsed to post why, or how, or what made it stand out. Let me guess, if I want to know about that, I need to go read that wiki page, which makes your name dropping completely useless. So why the fuck are you even posting?
>>
File: 8c3.jpg (146KB, 496x496px) Image search: [Google]
8c3.jpg
146KB, 496x496px
>>3391396
>who says I didn't? Would I have asked for more if I didn't?
you did, twat
>>3391354
>>
>>3391398
easy, kid.
I think you don´t really see the difference between a recommendation and a review
>>
>>3391421
I can, in particular, see that name dropping is neither.
>>
I know it´s not GBC related, but it´s Shantae 2 any good?
>>
>>3391428
>it´s not GBC related
there's your answer
>>
>>3387278
I'm happy to see someone saying that. It makes me sick to see people, pretty much always Americans, talk about the "amazing" or "awesome" library the GC had. It was almost entirely complete and utter trash. There are some truly legendary series that started there, like Pokemon to go for an obvious example, but almost all of it was a shat out generic platformer based on a then-popular cartoon or movie.
>>
>>3391508
What's the GC? Pokemon started on GB/DMG
>>
>>3387278
Super Mario deluxe.
>>
>>3391508
the thing is a lot of the hidden gems where not particulary atractive in that year (well, that´s where they are "hidden", duh)
No, seriously. other system made good tales about their highlights, and everyone know what were the killer aps for each console, but most of the press back then usually praised average games just for being portable.
I´m not saying things like DK Country were bad ports, of course, but they are usually highlighted as one of the best games of the platform.
Then, surprisingly a lot of people know shit about things like Ghost Babel, Mario Golf or Harry Potter being amazing rpgs, or Wario having their best games in this console. I make the proof with a couple of friends that loves MG saga and talked them about MGGB, and not a clue. Think about normies.
>>
>>3389508
Gold and Silver are way more enjoyable than RBY
>>
>>3389570
>Yellow
>not Crystal

>>3387278
Metal Gear Ghost Babel
>>
File: 1468620852758.jpg (26KB, 320x319px) Image search: [Google]
1468620852758.jpg
26KB, 320x319px
GB/GBC discussion and every post is about Pokemon? kys, seriously.

Cave Noire - Roguelike
Nail 'N' Scale - interesting platformer with unique mechanic: shoot out a spike and you can stand on it
Catrap - puzzle platformer where you can go backwards
Star Sweep - arcade port; innovative falling-well puzzle game, spiritual sequel to Panel De Pon
Money Idol Exchanger - arcade port of the magical drop clone with an extra layer of complexity
Bubble Ghost - charming euro puzzle game
>>
>>3387278
Tetris DX
Pokemon Puzzle Challenge
Mr. Driller
>>
File: ss3-gb04.png (8KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
ss3-gb04.png
8KB, 256x224px
Samurai spirits 3.

Some people say that the samurai shodown GB game is good, and it isn't, this one is, best fighting game in the GB by far, but it's not a hard competition.

It's a perfect port of samurai spirits 3 on 8 bits almost all of the characters with the exception of Gaira, but they included Jubei that wasn't in the arcade version.

The main problem with GB fighting games it's the lack of buttons, the whole three punches in one button, it doesn't work on anything except this game, I found that it controls better than the NG pocket samurai spirits.

Slash and Bust so every character has double the moveset. Dash, small jump, combo system, move cancel, super moves, everything.

Played it in the super gameboy and it can give a round for his money to any snes fighting game.

At the start press select three times on the Takara logo, to unlock Jubei and Zankuro.
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.