[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Eggman or Robotnik?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 18

File: DrEggman.png (1MB, 1910x2847px) Image search: [Google]
DrEggman.png
1MB, 1910x2847px
Eggman or Robotnik?
>>
Dr. Ivo Robotnik.
>>
Ivo Robotnik or leave /vr/
>>
Robuttnik
>>
>>3386864
This.

I think Eggman is just a nickname.

So I guess you could write it as Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnick.
>>
File: Yolk.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Yolk.gif
1MB, 320x240px
>>3386862

Robotnik.

There is only one real Eggman.
>>
File: whisper.png (428KB, 890x773px) Image search: [Google]
whisper.png
428KB, 890x773px
Ivo Robotnik is his canon name as of SA2. "Eggman" seems to just be an insult that he decided to run with.
>>
It might be because I grew up with the cartoon but it will always be Robotnik to me. If I only had play the games I might honestly would had went with Eggman simply because the later stages had egg theme names iirc and his body in the games was kinda egg shape.

I don't really play the newer games so it never really came up but if I were I would just go with whatever the game have him as. For SA2 though they clearly wrote that Robotnik was still his name.
>>
>>3386862
Eggman.

"Robotnik" doesn't even make sense, he's not slavic.
>>
https://youtu.be/graPvlI7D6Y

>tfw clarissa will never your sonic playing gf

And I never owned any sega stuff.
>>
>>3386937
Sonic was a pretty popular "celebrity" game, wasn't it?
>>
>>3386862
You spelled Robuttnik wrong.
>>
File: buttnik.jpg (104KB, 1023x439px) Image search: [Google]
buttnik.jpg
104KB, 1023x439px
who was best robotnik
>>
File: 059.png (119KB, 448x334px) Image search: [Google]
059.png
119KB, 448x334px
>>3387119
pingas
>>
>>3387156
pingas
>>
File: 3525235.jpg (53KB, 720x576px) Image search: [Google]
3525235.jpg
53KB, 720x576px
>>3387119
pingas
>>
>>3386862
I like both but Iizuka is an asshole for saying he's permanently changing it back to Eggman
>>
File: Prinny.png (24KB, 203x200px) Image search: [Google]
Prinny.png
24KB, 203x200px
>>3387119
>realizing classic design is both eggman and walrus
>>
I initially hated it when they first decided to standardize Eggman around the Dreamcast era but over time I've gotten used to it and even prefer it. Rolls off the tongue better.

For the most part reasoning wise I think along the lines of what >>3386904 said. Birth certificate says "Ivo Robotnik", but Eggman is more or less his villain name.
>>
>>3386862
Robuttnik
>>
>>3387119
Classic is the only one with a legitimately good design. Easy to recognize, expressive, and not cluttered. Doesn't look very evil, though.
>>
>>3386937

I wanted (implying I don't still) to fuck her so much when I watched Clarissa.
>>
I've always referred to him as Robotnik. More to the point, Dr. Ivo Robotnik is the official western name, while Eggman has always been the original name in Japan. I mean, he's always been egg-shaped, he has no neck, has comically spindly arms and legs, etc. Remember the boss battle from Sonic 2's Metropolis Zone? He's literally surrounded by eggs that then transform into copies of himself.

Anyway in the early 2000's they wrote the dialog in Sonic Adventure to present both names into the story. Sonic and his friends call him "Eggman" as an insult, whereas Robotnik clearly introduces himself as "Dr. Robotnik."
https://youtu.be/fE9yPDzVwvM?list=PL35B033D2C8865602&t=256
This was pretty much the defining moment in history that the name "Eggman" bridged over from Japan into western audiences. As far as we should be concerned, Eggman is just a nickname or an insult the protagonists use to tease and infuriate the villain.
>>
For years I've said the best Sonic design is the original Europe/Japanese box art design (pic related) and Sega ignored my opinion until a few days ago.

Well, I've also been saying that Robotnik is way cooler sounding than Eggman.

I will give Sega time to catch up to the right opinion once again.
>>
File: classicsonic.png (154KB, 364x517px) Image search: [Google]
classicsonic.png
154KB, 364x517px
>>3387801
>a few days ago
>>
>>3387801
>and Sega ignored my opinion until a few days ago.
How fucking egocentric can you be?
>>
>>3386896
This.
>>
>>3387835
you forget sonic is synonymous with debilitating autism
>>
>>3386862
Robotnik. I still don't understand why they changed it to eggman. Someone said something about the full name robotnik not fitting or something.
>>
Wasn't he Robotnik everywhere except Japan during the Genesis era games, until they killed him off in the comics? Then they replaced him with some robot named Eggman and he became Eggman everywhere. At least that's how I remember it going. Pretty sure I remember the Sonic CD manual saying something about him being Eggman in Japan or something to that effect, at least.
>>
>SoA's ass backwards localization messed up these many kids
>>
File: 1433829851545.jpg (78KB, 659x506px) Image search: [Google]
1433829851545.jpg
78KB, 659x506px
>>3387551
>SatAM and Modern aren't recognizable or expressive
>detailed character-designs are bad because I said do
>>
>>3387936
They actually changed it to Robotnik, in Japan he was always Eggman. They were just following the trend of the late 90s, which said that you no longer had to cover up the fact that you were a Japanese product.
>>
File: Culture Shock.png (36KB, 750x600px) Image search: [Google]
Culture Shock.png
36KB, 750x600px
>>3387936
They changed it to unify the easy/west versions of the series. The same reason why Princess Toadstool became Princess Peach in the Mario series.
That said, they ended up bringing back the name Robotnik and making it canon anyhow in Sonic Adventure 2.
Hell, that part happened in Mario with Peach, too, just one game earlier.

And then both series went and started using separate english/japanese names for other characters anyway as they went on. Good job.
>>
>>3387119
Y'know, I always wondered how the cartoons managed to end up with those designs. They're not even close to classic's design.
>>
>>3388565
The SatAM design was created because the original design obviously didn't fit with the show's darker tone. The AoStH design is just a non-threatening version of the SatAM design.
>>
>>3386862
Tritonero
>>
File: 190px-S1concept-eggman.jpg (16KB, 190x244px) Image search: [Google]
190px-S1concept-eggman.jpg
16KB, 190x244px
>>3387551
>Doesn't look very evil, though.
Probably because he started life as the hero.
>>
>>3386897
Eggman was his Japanese name and Robotnik was his Western name
>>
>>3388971
No fucking way!
Did you read that on HCG101?

My opinion of it is that cannologically speaking, Eggman is a nickname that he goes by, either created by himself or as an insult that he decided to own, and Ivo Robotnic is his birth name.
Not that is is wholly cannon though.
>>
File: Robuttnik.png (343KB, 477x399px) Image search: [Google]
Robuttnik.png
343KB, 477x399px
i think we can all agree on that his name is Dr. Ivo Robotnik and his nickname/villainname is Eggman

but alternatively he will always be known as robuttnik
>>
>>3387162
That was his mooooooooooooooom
>>
File: wally.png (766KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
wally.png
766KB, 720x540px
>>3388952
Nice pajamas, Roosevelt.

>>3387119
>>3388986
Is pingas Wally Walrus?
>>
>>3386862
It's hard to accept but he is confirmed to JUST be called Eggman, officially. The western devs did not tell the Japs that they were going to use a new nickname. This is why, in Sonic Boom, they only call him Eggman. They're trying to retcon basically.
>>
Japan insisting on Eggman is alright with me. Like the strangely eloquent english soliloquies they used to put on Sonic boxart.
>>
>>3388952
>Probably because he started life as the hero.

I can kind of see why that didn't work out

Nintendo would have had a wee bit of a problem with a mustached fat man platforming through levels

Speaking of which, even back in the day I noticed the similarities between Nintendo's mustached fat man wearing overalls and Sega's mustached fat man wearing overalls. It had to be some kind of inside joke at Sega having sonic fight a guy who looked a lot like Mario, at least in general description.

They obviously couldn't put a hat on him because then they'd get sued, and added the gadget gimmick to set him apart just enough that Nintendo couldn't do anything (though it's been noted that if Robotnik had been the star he was planned to run around with gadgets getting through levels)
>>
>>3389414
When he was drafted as the star, he wore pajamas and was named Roosevelt.

The design in your pic didn't come around until after sonic rolled into the scene.
>>
>>3389426
That's my point

They put overalls and a red shirt on him

I just feel it was kind of tongue-in-cheek, like they were making fun of Mario but still cautious to keep away from getting sued

>white gloves
>overalls, although a different color
>red shirt
>big moustache
>big nose
>chubby
>>
>>3387119
Eggman > Pingas > Modern> Julian
>>
>>3387191
I am the Eggman!
It's what I am!
I am the Eggman!
I've got the master plan!
I am the Eggma
They are the Eggmen!
I am the Walrus!
Goo goo g'joob!
>>
>>3387802
>head spikes don't blend into back spikes
>vulva between his eyes
>hands and feet too big
>soles of shoes are brown instead of just red

Original > Modern > Neo-Classic > Dreamcast > Boom
The design in Sonic Mania looks like the original Sonic.
>>
>>3387119
Jesus fucking christ all of these are abominations after the original.
>>
>>3386901

Who the hell is that ugly motherfucker?
>>
File: sk-bginfo-detailsimg5full.jpg (87KB, 525x718px) Image search: [Google]
sk-bginfo-detailsimg5full.jpg
87KB, 525x718px
>>3389075
>Like the strangely eloquent english soliloquies they used to put on Sonic boxart.
I fucking love those things. You just know some overworked Japanese guy in a dark cubicle was constantly looking back and forth from a dictionary and slowly but surely putting the sentences together, word by word, not really knowing what they meant but having heard them in a song or something and thinking they sounded nice.
>>
>>3387801
ugh... its so boring and childish, though. like Mickey Mouse trying to be badass. Give me the Dreamcast design, any day
>>
>>3389435
those design cues are almost identical to Mickey Mouse's original design. the colors are pretty much the same, too. I don't think they really intended to rip off Mario. more likely, Nintendo and Sega both drew from the same design well
>>
>>3386862
Generation X gamers know that character as Ivo Robotnik. Just like Princess Toadstool from the early Super Mario Bros. games.
>>
>>3389075
Why is that strange?
>>
>>3390387
>Give me the Dreamcast design, any day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IciuftUiLs
>>
>>3388976
That is canon as of Sonic Generations.
>>
Ovi Kintobor
>>
>>3390543
As of Sonic Adventure*
>>
Post your favorite Eggman-related music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2BLudtv81o
>>
>>3388606
SatAM came afterwards though, so it's a darker version of the other one
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.