[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/rvjrpg/ retro japanese rpg

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

File: Ff6_gogo.jpg (25KB, 270x374px) Image search: [Google]
Ff6_gogo.jpg
25KB, 270x374px
A general dedicated to dragon quest final fantasy star ocean lufia and other JRPGs in the retro days.

Jrpg died almost two years ago now and there's no more jrpg so let's try this.
>>
I want to start on Far East of Eden: Tengai Makyô. Is the PCE-CD good enough for the first game or should I try to get the 360 port running?
Getting an emulator for Japanese phones and the game files feels like a futile endeavor.
>>
>>3383570
>Jrpg died almost two years ago now and there's no more jrpg so let's try this.

What does this even mean?
>>
God op, don't be so melodramatic.
>>
File: 1467013223979.jpg (46KB, 568x479px) Image search: [Google]
1467013223979.jpg
46KB, 568x479px
>>3383570
>Jrpg died almost two years ago now and there's no more jrpg so let's try this.

Funny coming from someone mentioning subpar garbage like Estpolis Denki.

Though yeah, I guess I really should heed you OP, it's not like there's a new SaGa game coming out this year and we recently got a new Metal Max, new Shiren, new Oreshika and so on.
Let's not forget the new Seiken Densetsu games, Ikenie to Yuki no Setsuna for all the ones who loved CT's system, Exist Archive being a spiritual successor to Valkyrie Profile, and all those lesser games like Grand Kingdom.

But yeah, sure, JRPGs are dead.
>>
File: 5737295175_32f92e68ff_b.jpg (207KB, 1024x798px) Image search: [Google]
5737295175_32f92e68ff_b.jpg
207KB, 1024x798px
>>3383672
>jarpigs

oh
>>
>>3383672
/jrpgg/ died because most of the old posters left and it fell in the hands of retards and shitposters from /jp/.
There's a very good reason why nobody made a new one anymore, do you want /jp/ to raid /vr/ and post scat and gore compulsively just to see the threads crash and burn?

Just go on Steam, most of the old residents and trips talk about JRPGs in there, and /vr/ isn't the right place to do a general with such a wide topic anyway, you'll get the same shitflinging that happened there and happens here in Chrono Trigger/Cross threads, DQ vs FF and so on, but with 30 years old and over shitposters instead of underage retards from /vg/, and slower.

Besides, there's already general threads for DQ, SaGa and almost perpetual threads about FF, CT and other stuff that clutter the first page, the last thing we need is ANOTHER general thread that will inevitably cause board drama.
And most of the old people from /jrpgg/ are here, you even see a few of the old trips like PHG here once in a while.
>>
It's generally a bad idea in principle to have such an open thread for story heavy games. Just inviting spoilers
>>
I recently set out to beat all the mainline Final Fantasy games I haven't finished before.

Just beat II and now the only one I have left is VIII and my desire to see this task through has plummeted. Fuck VIII.

I think I might move over to Dragon Quest or Lufia now.
>>
>>3383742
Careful. you'll invite those folks who mock anyone who plays games for the story.
>>
/jrpg/ died because everyone in those threads was a numbskull.
>>
>>3384129
Tried playign SHining Force 3 again.

I can't enjoy this game.
>>
>>3383704
>steam to talk about retro jrpgs
What? Most retro JRPGs aren't even on PC.
>>
File: ma40.jpg (129KB, 700x795px) Image search: [Google]
ma40.jpg
129KB, 700x795px
I guess i might as well post here then elsewhere.

I downloaded a whole bunch of fan translated Snes JRPGs. Mainly the ones I didn't play(So stuff like Cyber Knight 1 and 2 Mystic Ark The adventures of Hoari High ect ect.)

Maybe I'll work my across slowly. Perhaps even like them. Admittedly I don't play a whole lot because of a kinda silly reason(I played Silva saga 2 and it was the most boring JRPG I ever played)
>>
>>3384647
>Admittedly I don't play a whole lot
*Of SNES fan translated JRPGs. I mean.
>>
Still not sure if I want to play early FF, DQ etc. on original platforms or remakes.
>>
I'm pretty sure GG was what broke /jrpg/.

When GG started up and then moot banned it from the site, a number of /jrpg/ posters, including tripfags, jumped ship because of moot's censorship.
>>
>>3383570
WRPG are the best.
>>
Yo what don't be stealing people from our dragon quest general
>>
From what I've played:

DQ: 3>4>5

FF: Tactics>9>7>5>6>12>the rest>13=8
>>
>>3384859
Original Final Fantasy games should be fine for the most part, but do not play the original NES Dragon Quest games unless you like hours upon hours of grinding, and stupid AI party members that you can't manually control in Dragon Quest IV. It's pretty much a requirement to play the remakes for Dragon Quest II and IV at this point.
>>
I just picked up a bunch of old SFC RPGs I never played/finished as a kid:
>Final Fantasy 6
>Seiken Densetsu 3
>Tales of Phantasia
>Terranigma
>Shin Megami Tensei
>Mother 2

Which one should I start with?
>>
>>3384859
The Famicom DQ, particularly 1 and 2, are very restricted. For instance they don't have they only have passwords for saves.

Generally Famicom games(and a bunch of other platforms) have the problem that they only use Hiragana and Katakana while you generally want Kanji to remove ambiguity and add structure.
Phantasy Star 1 is worst in that regard since it only has Katakana. The Playstation 2 compilation (Sega Ages 32) gives the option to add Hiragana while retaining the original game.
>>
>>3384859
>>3385857
As someone who recently played through the first four Famicom Dragon Quest games, Japanese without Kanji is truly awful. I'm only playing the originals because I love Dragon Quest. Right now I'm on Dragon Quest V SFC, and it's a much needed improvement.

I would always recommend to everyone to play the remakes over the originals not just for better graphics and music but because:

Some of the newer remakes have party chat, adding so much more to the characters.
Your characters will attack another monster instead of an empty space if the monster filling that space has died.
You get a bag with unlimited slots so you don't need to constantly throw away or store items
Adds post-game content where the originals would just give you a "The End" screen until you turn off the console.
Spells won't miss for no reason.
Overall much better balancing plus a LOT less grinding.

Of course, if you like Dragon Quest as much as I do, feel free to play the originals. They certainly haven't aged well, but that's to be expected.
>>
>>3385840
Terranigma
Phantasia
Smt
Sd3
In that order.
>>
>>3385818
>>3385857
>>3385924
Thanks for the info. Didn't know DQ 1-2 didn't have saving.
>>
>>3385924
>Spells won't miss for no reason.
It's called magic resistance. I never liked it much myself but it's a part of the game so I put up with it. Playing wussy remakes because you don't like features like that makes you a wuss, just so you know.
>>
I got a copy of Final Fantasy VII from my father. Second disc was too scratched to load, so I stopped playing right after Aerith died.

Did I miss anything?

Also, confession, I've played the original 6 to hell and back. Love 'em all. Never played anything beyond that 1/3 of 7. Don't think I care.
>>
>>3387670
In that case, being a wuss is a good thing, because the magic resistance is fucking retarded. I'd be okay with it if it had a chance of lowering the damage output, or if the monster is just completely immune to it, but just saying that the spell "had no effect" on a monster when you can cast the spell again and damage it is incredibly annoying. And it's not like your party has any magic resistance without special items, you're always going to get hit by those spells. Mages are already weak enough, there's no point in putting in magic resistance when their spells are literally their only strength.
>>
>>3383782
I just beat two after taking on a similar task, but from 1-10

I've completed them in a weird order though, so I have 3, 8, 9, and 10 left. I've heard 3 is very difficult so I'm hesitant to start it
>>
>>3385938
I really want to play the first three of these. Any recommendation on good emus for them?
>>
>>3388037
Snes9x should be fine. Higan/BSNES if you have a good computer and severe autism.
>>
>>3388058
I have neither! Thanks!
>>
I wish more games had job class systems. They're probably my favorite RPG system and some of my favorite games of all time. Like I just done playing a few retro and not so retro examples (FF games FFT specifically, TO games, and Bravely games to name a few) and I kind of just want to play more. Does anyone have any good recommendations?

If its not retro just spoiler it.
>>
>>3387710
>Did I miss anything?
Do you mean is it worth finishing the last 2/3rds of the game? If you enjoyed the first 1/3 of the game and you enjoy final fantasy games in general, then yes you are missing out. It would suck having to buy a whole other copy of FFVII for just one disc, but it might also suck starting it all over on an emulator/PC port
>>
>>3388070
I haven't started it yet, so I don't know, but I hear Romancing SaGa 2 has classes.
On a similar note, Final Fantasy Legend 2 (SaGa 2) has a race-based class system of sorts, though only monsters can "change" classes to another monster type.
Dragon Quest III has a class system, as do VI and VII.
The Fire Emblem series is a nice change of pace if you're into FFT and TO.
Ogre Battle and Ogre Battle 64 could be up your alley if you like TO, as well.
>>
>>3385840
I would say final fantasy vi or mother 2 would be the easiest to tackle if that helps.

Don't listen to /vr/ on mother 2/earthbound, it's a phenomenal game.
>>
File: 1da34fe4fc14127c9a2cf1296a76576e.jpg (257KB, 1000x793px) Image search: [Google]
1da34fe4fc14127c9a2cf1296a76576e.jpg
257KB, 1000x793px
>>3388806
Yeah, I've played a few of those games already to be honest. FFL2 was really fun and it's still something I play every once in a while with the first Legend game.
Dragon Quest III is probably my favorite 'normal' (?) JRPG of all time, and VI/VII are both fantastic as well.
Fire Emblem is fun, I guess I could try Gaiden sometime.
Ogre Battle and Ogre Battle 64 were a lot of fun too, I'm picking up an Everdrive 64 to play the latter on my CRTV, among other games.

That leaves Romancing SaGa 2 which looks interesting. I'll probably try that next, thank you Anon.
>>
>>3383669
subpar garbage like Estpolis Denki.

Thanks for helping me skip your post.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.