[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Virtua Racing and the SVP

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: out.webm (3MB, 320x192px) Image search: [Google]
out.webm
3MB, 320x192px
Ahh, SVP. I hardly knew ye.
But why was only one Genesis/Mega Drive game ever published with it, when so many were published for the SNES with the FX chips?

Video capture from Virtua Racing here.
Higher resolution version with audio (with black border cropped) here:
https://a.pomf.cat/qdkxye.webm
>>
I have the jap cart of VR for mega drive, use it on my Genesis with the mega key.

I love it, actually. Played it countless hours even though I know it's the worst version of VR, it's still pretty damn decent.
>>
>>3382431
oh, the pomf version of the video's also longer. neat.

How'd you not get 'interlacing' in your capture?

I blame sega going full retard, as usual, for the death of the SVP.
>>
>>3382438
I found the US version in a game store for $8 earlier this year.
Talk about depreciation!
>>
File: MSCII-MD2MCD2.jpg (442KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
MSCII-MD2MCD2.jpg
442KB, 1600x1200px
>>3382431
>But why was only one Genesis/Mega Drive game ever published with it,

Because it was more expensive than SuperFX.

Honestly what Sega should have done is just sold SVP as a simple passthrough like pic-related, never sold the 32X, and they would have seemed much less greedy than Nintendo that forces you to buy the same SuperFX chip over and over.
>>
>>3382440
When I captured the video (I used ffmpeg on linux), I did something like:
ffmpeg -f v4l2 -i /dev/video0 -f alsa -i hw:2,0 -vf "setfield=tff,separatefields,scale=720x480:flags=neighbor,setdar=3/2" -vcodec huffyuv -acodec pcm_s16le rawcapture.mkv

where the important part for fixing the 'fake 480i' artifact was:
-vf "setfield=tff,separatefields,scale=720x480:flags=neighbor,setdar=3/2"
since my card captures 720x480 when in NTSC mode. This converts the 480i fields back into 240p frames, and stretches nearest-neighbor into the correct aspect ratio (otherwise you'd have scrunched 720x240).
>>
>>3382447
>having money to burn on a power base converter
I envy you. Those are sooooo overpriced. Especially the model 2.
>>
It was like three times the price of a normal game, hard to believe anybody even bought it. Over on the Nintendo side SuperFX games were barely more expensive at all.
>>
>>3382447

This, Virtua Racing on Genesis $100+, SuperFX SNES games were about the same price as regular games.
>>
Its insane to think how much faster the Super FX chip was than the SNES CPU. The CPU was 3.58 MHz, while the Super FX was 21 MHz.
>>
>>3382431
>https://a.pomf.cat/qdkxye.webm
>dat checkpoint jingle at 1:30

Loved that fucking jingle. Anyway just blame the coke and/or meth-fueled years of 94-96 where Sega lost their damn minds. Also the version that came out on PS2 in the Sega Classics collection looked really nice.
>>
>>3382431
Grew up with the 32x version, played it a bunch.
Recently bought this off ebay (as I no longer have a 32x) because it's the only game that does not work on an everdrive.

Been playing it a lot recently and it really holds up. It's not as clear as what I remember on the 32x, but its only a notch down on an already obsolete looking game so it doesn't matter.

I agree with >>3382447 big time on this. They really should have just rode out the last couple of years using the SVM instead of making the 32x. It was good enough. Like I said, it's not as clear looking as the 32x version but it's still cool and has it's charm.
>>
File: what_the_fuck_am_I_reading.png (22KB, 400x401px) Image search: [Google]
what_the_fuck_am_I_reading.png
22KB, 400x401px
>>3382447
>Honestly what Sega should have done is just sold SVP as a simple passthrough like pic-related, never sold the 32X
>>
>>3382956
SNES was designed to be shit (in processing means). That's hilarious, but launch game (Pilotwings) was already packaged with supplementary chip.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.