[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thief Mods/Fanmissions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 9

File: ThiefGoldCover.jpg (112KB, 424x500px) Image search: [Google]
ThiefGoldCover.jpg
112KB, 424x500px
Finally installed Darkloader to play some fanmissions.

Any levels similar to Bonehoard? I want to feel that feel of plundering crypts and robbing graves.
>>
bls resbond
>>
>>3382349
SCURVY OFF TAFFER, THIS IS NO PLACE FOR YOU
>>
>>3381925
There's an image floating around full of fan mission recommendations for TDP and T2. I'd try /v/.
>>
>>3381925
>Any levels similar to Bonehoard? I want to feel that feel of plundering crypts and robbing graves.
Sepulchre of Sinistral is literally Bonehoard expanded with real puzzles and plenty more loot and variety. Great level
>>
>>3381925
bump, I'm also looking for some good DP/MA mods
>>
File: fuckingthief.jpg (4MB, 1400x4537px) Image search: [Google]
fuckingthief.jpg
4MB, 1400x4537px
This image has good FMs for starters.
>>
I have like 6 hours gameplay in theif gold and can't get past level 2 in the mine
>>
File: dump001.png (1MB, 1360x768px) Image search: [Google]
dump001.png
1MB, 1360x768px
>Whispers in the Desert

this shit is way 2spook

that fucking pitch black catacomb section where the zombies are chasing you through the winding hallways
>>
>>3384508
I'm in nearly the same position.
>>
>>3383841
Seven Shades of Mercury has the greatest atmosphere of any video game, ever. Debate me.
>>
>>3384971
>>3384508
You mean the prison?

If you're truly stuck, just check out a video walkthrough.
>>
>>3385194
Not gonna debate you too much, this mission is comfy as all hell.
>>
Am I playing this wrong if I blackjack guards a lot, or atleast those that run away?
>>
>>3387094
I mean, play it however you want. I usually incapacitate almost everyone that I can because I like clearing out areas and exploring at my leisure.

However, I do feel like the games would be better if the blackjack just didn't exist, so if you really wanted to KO someone you'd have to burn resources to do so. And if you actually have to sneak around, it makes your other tools a little more useful: not much point in dousing torches and shooting moss when nobody is awake. That mission in TMA where you have to sneak into the guard post and have to ghost it is really fun and tense.
>>
>>3387094
If the designers don't want you to blackjack someone, they will use an enemy type that can't be blackjacked.
>>
>>3387175
>However, I do feel like the games would be better if the blackjack just didn't exist, so if you really wanted to KO someone you'd have to burn resources to do so.

It seems like a lot of the fanmissions creators had the same idea since the blackjack is disabled in many of them. In the ones that do have the blackjack, areas seem to be staffed with guard packs, meaning that you can't blackjack without raising an alert and getting your shit pushed in.

Speaking of which, does anyone else try to ironman the missions? No saves/reloads.
>>
>>3388210
I've iron-man'd through Thief Gold a few times, it's often pretty hilarious. Haven't tried to do that in a lot of FMs though.
>>
>>3381925
Mission 1 of Gems of Provenance campaign has Bonehoard-esque bits.

Also, parts of the Shadow of Doubt campaign (missions 4 & 6, I think?).
>>
>>3388390
>I've iron-man'd through Thief Gold a few times, it's often pretty hilarious.

It's more memorable since you're forced to deal with incredible fuckups like having four hammerhaunts surrounding you while you're standing on top of a sarcophagus.

The only issues with ironman are those fucking jumps that can kill you if you're one pixel off center. Ladders too. Fuck ladders holy shit how do they even work?
>>
>>3389015

>Also, parts of the Shadow of Doubt campaign (missions 4 & 6, I think?).

I think the one that most resembles the bonehoard is "broadsword of sheol", which is also one of the best and probably most underrated horror fms, it doesn't rely on jump scares but instead a really opressive atmosphere. It's also pretty fucking hard.

Another recommendation would be sepulchre of the sinistral, which is basically the bonehoard but even bigger.

There's also the ruins of originia campaign (specially the first mission). The missions are huge and really hard and it's pretty much mandatory to use a walkthrough the first time you play it, but it's still a really fun fm.
>>
>>3389034
If you fall into a ladder, you catch on. If you jump into a ladder, you catch on. If you're falling and you hit spacebar, you don't grab the ladder.
>>
>>3389503
It's about backing onto ladders and going down.

Sometimes Garret grabs the rungs and starts to go down the ladder. Other times he ignores the ladder, and you plummet into the abyss.
>>
File: Thief fan missions1.png (1MB, 1269x1089px) Image search: [Google]
Thief fan missions1.png
1MB, 1269x1089px
>>3383841
>>
>>3385194
>>3386807

I keep crashing when I try to load a save on this FM anyone got any ideas why?
>>
Hi Taffers. I just came from the Life is Strange General thread and I was wondering if it was possible to come here and discuss Thief, maybe even to disagree with someone without janitors stepping in and censoring my posts to uphold a trigger-free safe space echo chamber?

...Because holy fuck that thread. The only thing in common with that one and Thief threads is that pretty much everyone likes their respective franchises. But unlike with Thief threads, all you're allowed to do with LiS is a massive autistic circlejerk. Everyone who criticises anything is called a troll and those posts are quickly deleted.

It's ironic to the n'th degree because unlike what /v/ used to spout, Life is Strange is not an SJW game, but the threads about it are the most regressive orwellian dystopia you'll ever witness.

So... criticism... Ah. The villains of the trilogy are underdeveloped and thus almost completely unrelatable. You have a megalomaniac, a maniac, and another megalomaniac. The lack of redeemable qualities makes things too black&white. I know a villain "trying to do the right thing" is a cliché, but all the trilogy needed was some extra backstory to flesh them out a bit better. You could have explained how Constantine is a senile old god clinging to the past and being all bitter for being obsolete in a world of technology, for example. Oh, and "Mercedes Lexus" (From Calendra FM series) is the stupidest name I've ever heard. And a succubus living underneath the keeper library? Was the FM team smoking crack?
>>
>>3394435
The Trickster's goal is somewhat noble though, which makes him a better villain than Karras or Gamall.
Also yeah the Calendra series has a few really shit things, but the overall package is great.
>>
>>3394521
>The Trickster's goal is somewhat noble

But he wants the world to be ground to bits so that his old ass could keep up. He wants to oppress the beings under him but he can't do it if they have weapons and fortified castles. He's an old world demon that managed to deify himself by being more powerful than primitive cavemen cowering around campfires. What's noble about dragging everyone else down so that you could stand over them? Sounds almost communistic.
>>
>>3394435
Thief villains, to me, apperead very cringeworthy on my first playthrough. I thought Karas' voice was a joke, but then got used to it. Interesting that it was the same guy who voiced garret. I bet they saved a shit ton of money on voiceacting, since he voiced many others.

The coolest thing is the keepers aka freemasons. The two 6 pointed stars in the very beginning of the first game pretty much summed it up nicely.

Otherwise it seemed to me pretty generic too.
>>
>>3394435
>>3394528
Yeah the Trickster was pretty much just butthurt that everyone moved along without him.

Anyway, the stories aren't really noteworthy for being in depth or having deep main villains. The reason everyone circlejerks about the Thief series is that the gameplay is memorable.
>>
>>3394435
>You could have explained how Constantine is a senile old god clinging to the past and being all bitter for being obsolete in a world of technology
I thought that was effectively implied. I mean, that was the whole point of what he was doing. And his chant at the end explicitly says he wants to bring back the world's old ways.
>>
See? Nobody's silencing dissent here. We can actually discuss the subject. Life is Strange is not an SJW game but the general thread about it is an SJW thread. You just can't make this taff up. Priceless irony.
>>
Let's all think of things that Deadly Shadows actually did better than Thief 1 or 2. I'll start.

>"Use item" has its own key
>>
>>3396228
>Life is Strange

was that any good?

i fapped to some SFMs but never played the games

>>3396238

i just assign my most used items to hotkeys

h - scouting orb
y - health potion
v/b - lockpicks
z - flashbombs
1-6 - arrows
f - sword
r - blackjack
ctrl - compass
>>
>>3396243
>>Life is Strange
>was that any good?

The gameplay is meh but the writing of the characters is fantastic. The main character is adorable beyond reason. The story starts off bland, gets great in the middle and then goes downhill towards the end. I can pretty much guarantee that you'll cry twice unless you're assburgers or something. And contrary to the beliefs of /v/, there's no tumblrite agenda.

>>3396243
>i just assign my most used items to hotkeys

Me too but I still think it's objectively better to have separate keys for throwing flashbombs and opening doors. Speaking of a compass...

>Compass integrated to light gem
>>
>>3396243

Oh, and the first episode of LiS, albeit not a very good one, is free on Steam
>>
>>3396238
>AI has a new lower alert stage where they investigate without drawing their weapon
>>
Any thoughts on Calendra's Legacy?

I have it sitting on Darkloader, but the 300+ MB filesize is intimidating.
>>
>>3396786
Have you played Calendra's Cistern? If not, play it. It should give you a good idea what to expect in CL and it's amazing to boot.
>>
>>3396786

I think the missions themselves are decent. The 2nd one is a bit confusing to navigate but that's good for Thief. The 3rd one actually has the exact street where the TDP epilogue takes place. There's some cringeworthy stuff regarding "Garrett's girlfriend" and Lara Croft having a museum exhibit in the city. And of course the final room of the campaign. Ugh...

It has great atmosphere. Comfy rain, creepy night and chilly snowstorm.
>>
>>3396786

Story is rather cringey, and the first and third missions are pretty much filler, but the second one, midnight in murkbell, is still one of the best fms out there. There's a bunch of stuff that you might find annoying on a first playthrough: a timed objective, forced stealth and at some point you will trigger an event that changes the way the mission is played completely. But it's an amazing city mission with a great atmosphere and open ended gameplay.
>>
>>3396238

the lockpicking mini game was great, and it would have been perfect if the patterns had been randomized or at least were more than 5 different ones total. It accomplished the same goal as the lockpicks in the oirignal games while being more engaging and without feeling like a waste of time.
>>
>>3397009

Nah I didn't like it. For some reason I can't appreciate mechanics that lock you in place and change your controls to do something else, in an immersive sim. Dark Mod understood that point and that's why its lockpicking is basically an extended version of the Thief 1 mechanic instead of being a contextual "lockpicking mode".

>The big heist lets you buy replicas so you can steal things without anyone having a clue
>>
>>3389556
I would have to boot the game to be sure, but I'm pretty sure when I play Thief I never back down ladders. I look down at the edge/top rung and walk forward slowly, and you can tell if Garret "catches" the ladder and is able to move down.

The mantling in Thief is one of those things where I'm glad quicksave exists, though. Yes, I know you can do it reliably with practice, but one loud CLANG on metal after he fails to pull all the way up on a box can be really annoying.
>>
File: 20160801003025_1.jpg (279KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20160801003025_1.jpg
279KB, 1920x1080px
[heartbeat increased]
>>
>>3398192

*steps on awkward geometry*
SPLAT! YAARGHH!!
>>
>>3398192
>Kill zombie with holy water
>His torso flings into you so hard you die
>>
>ethereal hammerhaunts

just kill me senpai
>>
File: uguu karras sensei.png (81KB, 408x938px) Image search: [Google]
uguu karras sensei.png
81KB, 408x938px
>>3398372

*smites internally*
>>
>>3394435
The lesser villains, such as Truart, have some depth to them. But it's true that the main villains towards the end of Thief I and II are so plain evil that it's hard to resist murdering them. Obviously not a good thing in a stealth game like this.

Calendra's story is absolute shit. Try Rocksbourg if you want a mission series where the 'villains' are actually interesting and multi-faceted.
>>
>>3398656
>lesser villains

Although not really a villain all the way, Keeper Orland in Thief 3 is probably among the best. You want to hate him but you can sense his frustration and you can kinda understand his position, and when the revelation comes to him you sympathise.
>>
>>3398656

>Rocksbourg

I can see a lot of thought and effort was put into making this series, but I just can't understand how it gets so much praise. The missions are some of the most tedious the fm scene has to offer. Every lock takes about a minute and a half to lockpick and there's dozens of them in every mission (EVERYTHING is locked); you will spend half of the time wandering around not knowing what the fuck to do next because you missed a pixel somewhere to find a key that allows you to progress. Everything is a brown-grey washed out mess and it makes it really hard to make out certain details (like the fucking keys that you will most certainly miss unless you read a guide or get lucky with a random click) and looks rather ugly to boot. I'm specifically talking about the first two missions (I never finished the third, but most of these problems still apply), which could be pretty fun mid-sized city missions, but end up feeling like a chore.
>>
>stumble across kitchen
>eat everything
>>
>>3399186
Ehh, true about the lockpicking and keyhunting on the first mission at least. That atmosphere makes up for it though.

>looks rather ugly to boot
Not really. The art style is kinda great and Silent Hill-like.

>I never finished the third
The 3rd is by far the best of the three.
>>
>>
>>3385194
It's great, but surely not the greatest of all time. The fact that the plot is basically that of a glorified training mission lowers the stakes considerably.
>>
File: vikky.png (187KB, 445x497px) Image search: [Google]
vikky.png
187KB, 445x497px
>>3401237

*teeheehee in a distance*
>>
>>3402115
>you will never have passionate sex with Viktoria and find yourself with Pagan splinters on your cock.
>>
So I was reading this post >>3396252 , specifically
>Compass integrated to light gem
and wondering why is that a good thing. The compass is, after all, an item in the game world, something it would make sense to take out, look at, and put back into your pocket. And the light gem is part of a non-game-world user interface, telling the player how Garrett "feels" himself hidden. When a compass becomes part of a user interface, it means Garrett is not using a physical item, but rather constantly "feels" where the cardinal directions are. I personally think the first approach, even if tedious, is still more immersive. Which in turn led me thinking about whether the visibility mechanic can be made more realistic and relying on game world only, and not on UI. Well, it turns out you can disable the light gem in NewDark by adding "vismeter_hide" to cam_ext.cfg. Playing through T2 now with the light gem disabled. Not particularly challenging for those who know how "good" shadows should look in the game world, but still somewhat refreshing.
>>
>>3402610
A very good answer and I kinda agree. But I think that other tangible things should then be items as well, such as the map. You'd need to select it from your inventory and then Garrett would pull it up onto the screen.

>>3402115
Her human form doesn't have splinters but also isn't as hot
>>
>>3396238
Footstep sound volume is better balanced. No more totally silent, very silent and very loud. You can no longer just run on stone floor right behind someone without alerting them.
>>
>>3403949
That would be good except crouching is totally silent on all surfaces, even water.
>>
>>3404082
Yeah that's shit. Even modders haven't been able to fix that because you'd basically have to program the entire crouching mechanic from scratch.
>>
>>3383841
Amoral Dilemma sucks
real bad homes
I'm also 62 loot short of finishing it on expert
>No "Don't kill anyone" objective
>>
>>3405302

But the killing restriction was there to remind you that it's what amateurs do. In the 90's, games used to insult players who take the easy way out.

The way Deadly Shadows only keeps you from killing unarmed people makes you think that Garrett avoids murder out of morality, when that's not the case. He's a bad person, but his egomania keeps him from committing murder. Thieves that are not as skilled as he is do it, and he doesn't want to be one of them.
>>
>>3405302
How does it suck? I played it recently and it's a solid, well put together mission. Good architecture, challenging but fair sneaking and a fun ending.
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.