[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Beat retro game or console finds at a flea market or online

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 11

File: nes_games.png (1MB, 941x455px) Image search: [Google]
nes_games.png
1MB, 941x455px
Beat retro game or console finds at a flea market or online
>>
Today I found a retro shop that I didn't know about that actually HAD good SNES games like Super Metroid and Kirby Super Star. I ended up buying too much and now I am scared I got ripped off.

The prices online don't seem too different.
>>
>>3378676
>I am scared I got ripped off
>The prices online don't seem too different.

Yep, sounds like you got hosed. Keep feeding the retro inflation beast buddy. Someday you'll learn about emulation.
>>
>>3378676
>i thought i was ripping people off but ended up paying a fair price
>i gor ripped off
>>
>>3378524
I found a disgusting copy of Mario paint. That was the only copy I found at what I believed was the largest flea market in my city last weekend that wasn't being sold by a reseller.

And there was only one reseller selling /vr/ material other than n64 and psx. The only /vr/ games he was reselling were NES games.

Fuck me. I hadn't been to a flea market in over 10 years. What a waste of time.
>>
File: knowWhatIHave.png (537KB, 785x616px) Image search: [Google]
knowWhatIHave.png
537KB, 785x616px
>>3379550
I fucking hate the internet
>>
>>3380637
The internet is awful, buying from individuals they always think they're sitting on a gold mine. love my localindependent games store. I can observe the inventory, check the cartridge and label, sometimes the directions are still in the case. I pay on average 8 dollars per Genesis game. Of course demand changes prices. It can be addicting wanting to swing by to get pick of the litter sometimes though. If i were to try and buy something they don't have I'd probably try amazon used official sellers.
>>
Launch dreamcast CIB
40 bucks

I was sure today would be a dud
>>
Best find ever, unlikely to be equaled desu was Suikoden 2 PAL, brand new & sealed in a charity shop for 50p.
>>
>>3379582
What? I am missing what you are saying.

I can't get two of the games to work.

>>3379550
I can emulate, but these are good games. I want to own physical for stuff like Super Metroid.
>>
best find was not retro, an original xbox just sitting on the street.
best buy wasn't retro either, ps2 with two controllers, 25€ + a couple of games.
>>
>>3378524
today i found:

lunar 1 for sega CD CIB
Mutant League Hockey CIB
Deception 2 CIB
quake 3 metal big box
contra
shadow of the beast 2 for sega CD CIB

and a bunch of other common stuff. each game was 2 bucks.

my best find was probably a free TG-16 with games that i got when i picked up an NES lot that had mega man 5. wasn't expecting the TG, but you can't pass up splatterhouse or bonk.
>>
File: dancing skeleton.gif (339KB, 215x194px) Image search: [Google]
dancing skeleton.gif
339KB, 215x194px
I found a second-hand store awhile back here in my town and I don't know if they knew exactly what they had, but they had a bunch of SNES games. Picked up a copy of Super Metroid for $15 and Super Mario Legend of the Seven Stars for $10. They handed me Killer Instinct and Super Return of the Jedi for another $10. I don't know if they just weren't able to sell them or what. Felt great though.
>>
Found a complete box and manual for Earthbound (no game) for $1 at a random junk shop.
It wasn't a thrift store, it was just like random stuff. Probably the owner of the store bought storage lockers or shipping crates of crap.
>>
I recently picked up a like-new majoras mask cartridge for about $15 at a second-hand store
>>
File: muh gaems.jpg (875KB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
muh gaems.jpg
875KB, 2000x1500px
Spent the weekend raiding the local used game stores and recycle shops, and subsequently scrubbing down a whole lot of contacts with rubbing alcohol because most of them didn't work right away.

The majority were ¥100-400, with only Super Metroid (¥4000) and Terranigma (¥2400) being somewhat pricey (but worth it to me). The Famicom Edition GBA was ¥5000 and is in immaculate condition. Not pictured is the Super Famicom I got for ¥3200 with two very nice tight controllers.
>>
I paid $250 CAD (about $190 USD) and got the following:

3 N64s
2 SNESs
2 NESs
1 GBC
1 Game Gear

About 25 NES games (a bunch of which with original boxes)
5 SNES games (inclusing Zombies Ate My Neighbors)
OoT, Mario 64, and Wave Race
40 or so PS2 games

I have no idea what the absolute mad man was thinking. I even told him he could get much more selling it separately, but he didn't give a fuck. I don't need the N64s or SNESs and selling those alone should get me most or all of money back.
>>
>>3381881
The price of the Jap Super Metroid is driven up since it has an English language option and the NTSC version is expensive as hell.
>>
Neither are rare or anything, but I bought a Super Gameboy and a copy of Solar Jetman the other day, both arriving by middle of next week. Jetman looks fun, and I've wanted a Super Gameboy since playing a friend's as a kid.
>>
>>3378524
I didn't know Yoshi's Cookie was also on the NES
How much worse was it?
>>
NES sharp tv $30

also
Sega saturn in box with
nights into dreams (with controller)
Resident evil
Ray man
Alien
Quake
a couple other games i can't remember now

for $90
>>
>>3378676
>retro shop

Yep, that's where you fucked up. You might as well have just saved the gas and paid "market" prices from the comfort of your chair on eBay.

This shit, like any other shit, is price dependent on how much someone is willing to pay for it. And there are people out there who are willing to pay $700+ for a Little Samson.

Don't be one of those people. Stick to the flea markets and tag sales.
>>
>>3383369
It was during my lunch break at work, I actually was just getting lunch when I noticed the place. But fair, I guess.

What's a tag sale?
>>
>be me
>friend and I go to some yard sales
>didn't find anything.
>Finally, out of desperation, we hit up the local Salvation Army thrift store
>Lo and behold, Super Mario All-Stars box, with Super Mario World in the box, both manuals and a Zelda poster.
>Take it to local reseller (who we both don't like) and pretend we want to sell it, just to piss him off.
>rustledhisjimmies.jpg
>3 years later, whenever I go to his store, he still asks about it.
Feels good man, but also feels bad man.
>>
File: IMG_1700.jpg (3MB, 4000x2220px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1700.jpg
3MB, 4000x2220px
$1 per game. Kept the huge cardboard box they were in (with price written on it) as a momento
>>
>>3383937
Like a garage sale kinda. Usually run by community things like churches to get rid of things. Some people even call label yard sales as tag sales here.
>>
>>3384659

some mom really want's their son out of the house
>>
NeoGeo with two sticks and Last Resort for $50 from a pawn shop ... It was previously $200, so I guess I caught it at the right time after they marked it down.
Same shop also at another time has a TG16+CD with games, including a few Japanese ones, for $50. Though that day my car got broken into so I wasn't really in the mood to be buying stuff.
>>
>go to a local second hand shop
>small stack of Mega Drive games next to a model 1 MD
>Dirty looking Sonic 1, McDonalds Global Gladiators and Bubsy with a broken box
>no manuals
>guy behind the counter: "Those are 35 euros. Per game."
>"I don't think they're worth that much"
>guy: "We checked the prices on the internet. It's not negotiable, these are collectors items, they're €35 per game"

Those games aren't worth shit. I could get them in better condition for one third of their price off Ebay if I wanted to. It was weird because they had lots of non video game related stuff that was cheap. Every video game was overpriced though. This was a couple of months ago, I haven't been back since but I bet those games are still there. They also had a dirty looking original Xbox that's been there for at least a year now.
>>
>>3384990
35 euros for sonic 1? Jesus I would have broken out into a laughing fit.
>>
File: IMAG1278.jpg (991KB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1278.jpg
991KB, 1520x2688px
>>3384990
It seems thrift stores all suddenly think if it's a cartridge game it's a valuable collector's item and is worth ridiculous amounts of money. I posted this in a previous thread but it's no less relevant. This was taken at the same half price books where I found bubble bobble 2 on NES for $1.98 back in 2009. It's now "common knowledge" that old games are worth money, but people aren't willing to do any research into particular titles to find out their value. They just figure old = rare and valuable. I blame storage wars and pawn stars and other reality shows like that.
>>
>>3384990
All pawn shop places like that check eBay for prices and think it's worth that much because that's how much it's listed for, they don't check completed auctions. You should've just laughed in the dudes face and walked out
>>
File: 1458732578418.jpg (20KB, 286x267px) Image search: [Google]
1458732578418.jpg
20KB, 286x267px
Probably my luckiest finds were a complete SNES for $7.00 and Castlevania symphony of the night for $15.00 at a fleamarket.

Not retro but another find I had was SSBM for $3.00 at a goodwill.

Anyone here ever fuck up and miss out on something rare/expensive?
>at flea market
>find a booth with a old couple
>have some shovelware PS1 and PS2 games
>see they have Strider 2 on PS1
>didn't know much about the game, assumed it was a $10 game at best
>skip out on it
>learn it's worth over $50
Man did I fuck up with that.
>>
>>3386470
I think the only video game item ever actually featured on Pawn Stars was a Vectrex.
>>
>>3386492
>find aero fighters at garage sale with a $2 ticket on it
>fatass brother stole it
>>
>>3386470
Not to defend them, but if you can get some extra cash for your charitable organization, shouldn't you?
Problem is they process thousands of disparate items a day, little of which they can truly be an expert at. Best (and at the same time, not) they can do is an eBay search and find something similar. And in the effort to keep shit moving, they can't scrutinize every individual item. Unless there's something notable like a famous, market transcending franchise (ie Disney,) things get priced the same whether it's Super Scope 6 or Chrono Trigger.
>>
>>3386521
Pat the NES Punk went on Pawn Stars once selling his two Nintendo World Championships carts, although it's highly likely he never intended on selling and the whole bit was scripted.
>>
File: IMAG1277.jpg (997KB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1277.jpg
997KB, 1520x2688px
>>3386540
They definitely have someone checking prices, but whoever is doing it has no idea about the differences in condition that can affect the price of games in particular. They price everything differently, if it was one uniform price for all games I could understand that but they definitely don't do that. Also, half price books is not a charitable organization, they're very much for profit.
>>
>>3386521
>>3386550
Virtual boy was also on it
I remember chumlee wanting to play it
>>
>>3386572
A guy also brought in the first issue of Nintendo power and if I remember right he wanted something like 5 grand for it
>>
>>3386568
That's ridiculous

There is an indoor flea market that I've lived next too for 30 years and this guy hordes NES but his prices are insane. Even in the 90s he asked crazy prices. Just the other month I stopped in and there is a new shop there that is getting all the business since their prices are decent, still high but based in reality.

Example, asked the new people about Tetris 2 and the said 5 bucks, not super high but not cheap either.

Other guy who has been there forever wanted 25 bucks, for Tetris 2!

Sad part is he is sitting on a Ton of awesome stuff but he wants the world for it. In the last 20 years his stand has been covered in games, in crates on the walls. He HAS to know about the internet and sell online but I don't know because he Always has the same stuff and just piles new crates on top. It's hard to look through his games because it's so unorganized. He is an old guy so he might not sell online, you'd be surprised.

Old farmer guys there still pay 7 bucks for ONE DVD or 3 for 15. The xxx guy makes a fortune all day long selling to these elderly guys that must not know 5 bucks for a shitty DVD is insane. And they are really really terrible titles that looks like JROCs Greasy trailer park girls gone wild stuff. I mean the guy selling them us cool as shit, he's an old nam vet who's son sells me games and stuff cheap but sometimes I think about burning a shitload of decent xxx and undercutting his prices. All day long these old dudes are constantly buying his shitty DVDs.
>>
>>3386603
There was also a guy on Storage Wars who wanted like 15 Grand for an NES. He thought it was like the 1st one ever made or something but he was also a crazy methhead who killed himself after getting busted.

Mark Bellelo or something
>>
>>3384693
lucky, 99% of pawn shops have complete shit like sports games and 7th gen systems
>>
File: threat 1.png (1MB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
threat 1.png
1MB, 600x800px
you know nothing
of the REAL threat

i have new pics too
this guy wants $75 for metroid prime 2
$60 for mario 64 and other insane prices

some other guy, who owns a stand of nothing but 5 tents of junk games, told me he sold a double dash for $100.

i laughed at him, but he kept insisting he "had buyers" for this stuff.
>>
>>3386470

I find it funny how quickly things changed. Stuff that just a few years ago were viewed as old junk are now apparently thought of as HOT RARE WOW despite there being no meaningful decrease in supply, just dumb kiddos trying to mimic the GameGrumps and AVGN and former gamers who for whatever reason hastily sold off their stuff many years ago.

It is a shame to see jacked up prices like that at HPB. Sadly the ones near me seem to have closed. I remember picking up some import anime LDs at one of the ones near me not too long ago.

>>3384990

Should have called him a fucking idiot.

>>3387353
He was probably lying, either to save face or try to scare you into buying his overpriced crap.
>>
>>3387353
>pokemon stadium $60
>SM64 $80
what the actual fuck

it's not often I actually want to see someone get robbed but this is another level
>>
>>3387367
i know he was lying, he obviously doesn't know jack shit about what he has.

i got HOTD2 off him for 8 when it was still hitting $24

>>3387367
its sad because most of these kids are getting into it and then quitting and selling what they get cheap that resellers usually pick up.

i have a price guide from 10 years ago and the prices were just low as FUCK. fucking magical chase CIB was only $250, shit tons of other expensive games now were less than $50, EB was only $80
>>
>>3387373

Rising prices make me sad. Speaking of old prices, I'd be curious to know what I paid for Kirby's Dreamland 3. I know I bought one CIB in good shape over a decade ago from an ebay seller, but for the life of me I can't remember the price.
>>
>>3387375

probably less than $100
most CIB games that weren't EB weren't worth much
>>
File: 1443163474587.jpg (15KB, 281x350px) Image search: [Google]
1443163474587.jpg
15KB, 281x350px
All prices in Canadian

$100 for a complete in box NES deluxe set with rob the robot. No NES console, but I already had one so it didn't matter. Everything inside the box was never used.

$2 for Clayfighter: Sculptors Cut at goodwill. Still has BBV (blockbuster video) written in sharpie on the side of the cart and the blockbuster stick on the back.

$400 for a complete in box Vectrex with overlay, and 9 Complete in box games with overlays.

$150 for a saturn with every style of controller, gun, mem card and about 16 complete in box games.

$20 for a complete in box dreamcast with 2 controllers and 2 VMUs

Complete in box commodore 64 and vic 20, both $25 each at goodwill
>>
File: 1123.jpg (177KB, 1776x1332px) Image search: [Google]
1123.jpg
177KB, 1776x1332px
30 bucks ( Canadian )
Should I replace the label or just keep it as is?
>>
>>3387462
Leave it. Replacement labels are dumb and would probably lower the value to under ten bucks because it would call into question the authenticity of the board.

Someone who just wants to play the game would happily pay 20-30 bucks for it. Those beat up carts need love too.
>>
>>3387462
fill the missing parts in with sharpie
>>
>>3384669
of course otherwise they can't get gangbanged by jamal gang
>>
>>3383937
>What's a tag sale?
A term I need to get out of the habit of using, as it's really only used in a small pocket of New England that I happen to be from.

I've been living in the Midwest for years now, and every time I say "tag sale" I get the cocked heads. Here at least, it's called a "garage sale" or a "yard sale" but they're all the same thing.
>>
>>3387403
My neighbor was being kicked out by his wife for being a complete drunkard. She threw away all his stuff on our street when he was out on a bender including hid boxed NES and games.

I was walking home and it just began to drizzle when I saw all his stuff thrown out so I was able to grab it without any damage to the box. I never saw him again and i think the rest of his stuff was picked up by the trashmen.
>>
>>3387945
cool story bro
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.