[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come Nintendo dropped out of the arcade scene? They made

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

File: dkjr.png (4KB, 224x256px) Image search: [Google]
dkjr.png
4KB, 224x256px
How come Nintendo dropped out of the arcade scene? They made some pretty great arcade games.
>>
It stopped being profitable.
>>
>>3377742
>games that have infinite replay value that you pay-to-play
>not profitable
>>
>>3377747
if no one is paying to play then it's not profitable
>>
>>3377747
As in, it stopped being profitable for Nintendo because they only had two successful games and a bunch of expensive flops like Punch Out.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (92KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
92KB, 1280x720px
The simple answer is that it was the runaway success of the Famicom. There was no real sense in producing arcade games only to think about porting them to your own console. That's a lesson Atari should have learned. The Vs system and Playchoice 10 were interesting innovations but I guess they didn't turn out to be very profitable or maybe market research indicated they hurt sales of the console games more than they helped them?

Whatever the exact reason it's not hard to see just from lining up the dates and shit that it was definitely the Famicom/NES that killed Nintendo's arcade development.
>>
>>3377747
You're crazy if you think it was anything other than a business decision. As
>>3377757
pointed out, once the Famicom took off, Nintendo clearly had a business decision to make as to whether they were going to make arcade games or home console games. Clearly console games won out.

Makes sense really. I'm sure it's not easy to manufacture and ship giant arcade cabinets. The idea of making more money with less hassle by selling tiny plastic consoles with even smaller cartridges was probably very appealing. Making arcade games may not have been quite "not profitable," but clearly it was more profitable to make console games.
>>
File: 1242422443530.jpg (24KB, 269x308px) Image search: [Google]
1242422443530.jpg
24KB, 269x308px
>>3377746
>Their games weren't very good
>>
>>3378292

And PAL sucks.
>>
>>3378292
And these superior arcade games would be?
>>
>>3378301
Wizardry
>>
File: 1311388049147.jpg (130KB, 533x400px) Image search: [Google]
1311388049147.jpg
130KB, 533x400px
>>3378301
>>
>>3378306
Exactly
>>
>>3378301
Stargate, Jump Bug, Space Dungeon. Wizard of Wor was also better, but not too much better technically.
>>
>>3378304
If that's what Cadash translates to in your native language, then I agree.
>>
>>3377747
Maybe I'm just ignorant of japanese arcades but wouldn't they get a one time payment for the cabinet and the arcade would pocket the quarters?
>>
>>3378314
Kek those games are fucking trash.
>>
File: scene_1024x768.jpg (144KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
scene_1024x768.jpg
144KB, 1024x768px
>How come Nintendo dropped out of the arcade scene
They didn't.

>>3377746
>1. Their games weren't very good
Their games were good enough to propel them into being one of the biggest game companies of the world. Also they are remembered to this day and age unlike some other bullshit that you might come up with.
>>
>>3378314
>literally a Defender and Robotron sequel
>better than DK or DK Jr
Wew lad
I can't comment on JB or Wor, but they look pretty lame.
>>
>>3378323
Donkey Kong is incredibly lame. Wizard of Wor is an all time great.
>>3378318
DK is.
>>
>>3378321
This.
I literally had to look up Wizard of Wor, Space Dugeon and Jump Bug. Nobody remembers these games because their probably shit, while DK and Mario bros are beloved to this day and have a strong legacy due to solid game mechanics.
>>
>>3378326
>All time great
>literally forgotten
>>
>>3378329
You just have shit taste.
>>3378334
Nobody forgot it, you never knew it because you're underage.
>>
>>3377735
Those Vs cabinets in the mid to late 80s made some bank surely.
>>
Arcade version of donkey kong 3 is god tier
>>
File: Triforce_case.png (78KB, 400x219px) Image search: [Google]
Triforce_case.png
78KB, 400x219px
kek i love how stupid Nintendo naysayers are stupid on this board. Nintendo is still fairly active in the arcade scene at least compared to other big software companies.

>>3377746
>2. They aren't good at innovating technology, which is necessary in the arcade business
>3. They don't know much about hardware
The Triforce says hi.
>>
>>3378356
Wasn't the Triforce developed by Sega like the Chihiro and the PS2 derivate?
>>
>>3378360
Triforce is a modified gamecube so not really. Sega just provided a GD-ROM drive for the thing. Sega and Namco developed games for the triforce alongside Nintendo but Nintendo basically developed and owned 90% of the hardware.
>>
>>3378364
Well now that I think about it Sega and Namco may have designed the chairs and other stuff that goes with the arcade systems though, I didn't initially consider those. The arcade boards are mostly Nintendo though.
>>
>>3378329

No, they're remembered because of advertising. It has nothing do with their quality, nintendo shill.
>>
Arcade scene collapsed in America and never really recovered but vidya continued to sell so that's the direction they went.
>>
>>3378558
Your two games that actually take advantage of PAL's expanded bandwidth and higher resolution aren't worth it when you have to run basically every other game at inferior speeds and with letterboxing.
>>
>>3377735
The fact that so many gamers still name Nintendo as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" video game company ever only tells you how far Nintenbabies still are from becoming serious gamers. Sega gamers have long recognized that the greatest vidya of all times are Space Harrier and Zaxxon, who were not the most famous or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Atari gamers rank the highly controversial I-Robot over vidya games that were highly popular in arcades around America. Nintendo gamers are still blinded by commercial success. Nintendo sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Sega gamers grow up playing a lot of Sega games of the past, Atari gamers grow up playing a lot of Atari games of the past. Nintendo gamers are often totally ignorant of the vidya games of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that Nintendo did anything worthy of being saved.
>>
>>3378969
did you know Hiroshi Yamauchi wasn't actually a human being? He was a vessel that enclosed 7 yakuza oni spirits from 7 different regions in Japan. These oni monopolized the gambling in Japan with the hanafuda Nintendo cards and put a spell so that no other company could produce cards, truly evil.

Yamauchi, often referred to as "大魔王 ティラノ天堂" (Great Evil King Tyranotendo), tyranized the video games market with his monopolic practises, it is said that the Master System or the PC Engine didn't actually ever exist, and that they were invented time after so hide the fact that the Famicom was actually the one and only console existing in Japan.
>>
>>3378329
F-Zero AX too
that shit is cash
>>
>1980s
>Nintendo and Sega are in arcades
>they both have good consoles

>2010s
>they both have no good consoles
>>
>>3379180
Sega is still in arcades though.
>>
>>3377747
Maybe in Japan they were profitable, but in America, people were losing interest in arcades and migrating to home consoles. Nintendo got out while the getting was good.
>>
File: 3377753 is gay.jpg (139KB, 800x1067px) Image search: [Google]
3377753 is gay.jpg
139KB, 800x1067px
>>3377735
Punch-Out is awesome!
>>
>>3379598
That's why I didn't write anything about arcades in 2010s.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.