[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did so many 2nd-gen controllers have numpads?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: ColecoVision-Controller-FR.jpg (2MB, 3000x2960px) Image search: [Google]
ColecoVision-Controller-FR.jpg
2MB, 3000x2960px
Why did so many 2nd-gen controllers have numpads?
>>
>>3377475
The Atari 2600 set the precedent of console games having different modes. 2nd gen consoles made things a bit "easier" by allowing you to select your game mode via key pad rather than flipping a switch on the actual console. This and the whole advent of the personal computer I guess (i.e. trying to replicate a keyboard).

I'm not familiar with any Coleco games that actually used all of the buttons (personally I just select the game mode I want, unlug the controller, and promptly plug in a genesis 6 button), but I think I have a couple 5200 games that do (space dungeon??).

I don't know, that's my theory though...
>>
I figure they were just copying the most common interface of the time without a clear plan of how to use it
>>
intellivision did have a math games that used it. Other than that system, I never saw a controller with a numpad.
>>
Most of the time, games would come with overlays that indicated which button did things.
>>
File: large_434_22key_2.jpg (358KB, 1000x846px) Image search: [Google]
large_434_22key_2.jpg
358KB, 1000x846px
>>3377475
Cause they were looking into the future, and did it for the sake of how cool it would be to have people making retro gaming machines with just a number pad and some simple deskmounted controller.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.