[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

12/24/1996 11:32 PM

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: ss+(2016-07-21+at+04.25.42).png (40KB, 944x592px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-07-21+at+04.25.42).png
40KB, 944x592px
Why is it that so many retro game ROMs have a last modified date of December 24th 1996 at exactly 11:32 PM? Even games released after that date?
>>
>>3376861
Because anything after that isn't retro
>>
>>3376861
old date format? y2k was real
>>
>>3376861
Probably somebody using an older computer to create the rom files that's clock and date were off. A lot of ROMS come from the same few groups so it would make sense.
>>
>>3376861
>>/x/
>>
Pirates not udating their disk copier date (Super Magic Drive, Super WildCard, etc) each time they turned it on...
>>
>>3376861
Maybe it's an in joke with those guys. It's around the time Santa is supposed to be delivering fat kids easy bake ovens, like the joke is they're giving you all these games, and when you find them it'll be just like Christmas morning. Everything having the same time may be so you'll realize the roms are from the same people. 1996 might have been when they started or finished ripping everything, or when they did most of it.

Then again, since it's a modified date, not a created date, they might have mass assigned a file extension or something.

I'm always looking for hidden meaning with things like this though, just because I know how people are, making a noticeable mark on something that would other wise be done anonymously. I used to do welding in a refinery, when I climbed in tight spaces or up high to do work I would use my paint pen to crudely draw a face of a wild west villain (that guy who ties damsels to train tracks). I still hear people ask about them from time to time, and to this day no one knows who did them, but they've seen them and remember them.
>>
>>3377171
It still seems that it would advance time, even if only by a minute or two.
>>
>>3377270
kek i love people like you
>>
programmer here. its likely that the os not reasing the date format correctly and defaulting to that date. kind of like unix default time stamp being dec 1969.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_time

>its likely a string formatting error as the rom dumper uses a different date
>>
baka nothing but a bunch of retrokiddies in this thread.

1996/12/24 23:32 was the timestamp of the very first build of MAME. This timestamp is now used in tools like torrentzip as a way of ensuring consistent file hashes, so verified data can be shared across computers consistently.
>>
>>3379293
I can vouch for this fellow old man, see you at the pleasuredome
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.