[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Controllers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: Genesis USB controller.jpg (40KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Genesis USB controller.jpg
40KB, 500x500px
If I'm going to emulate Genesis/Mega Drive games on my PC, should I have a Genesis/Mega Drive controller like pic related, or is my 360 controller pretty much good enough?

What about other old consoles? Which controllers are best for emulating which systems?
>>
>>3375526
Don't buy aftermarket controllers they're just a quick cash grab. Either get some sort of converter you can use on an original controller or buy a some modern console controller with a nonshit dpad.
>>
Any modern console controller will work just fine, and you don't have to find shitty firmware for aftermarket controllers. If you really hate joysticks then you can look into getting a modern fight pad or something. There's a few decent manufactures for them, but the prices of those are the same as first party controllers.
>>
try to find a saturn controller. They're pretty much the pinnacle of sega controllers. They made some official USB ones which are really good, but they're probably a bit hard to come by now. Any regular one with a usb adapter should be fine though.
>>
File: playsega.jpg (85KB, 946x977px) Image search: [Google]
playsega.jpg
85KB, 946x977px
Look for one of these "Play Sega" controllers on eBay, and make sure it's in a white cardboard box with milky white plastic lining. These are the official Sega controllers for their discontinued online emulator service, modeled after the Saturn controller, and are pretty great for the price (usually under $20). I bought six and have put them through a lot, and had one unit's d-pad break, physically snapping in half where it meets the cradle inside the controller. A little superglue fixed it right up, but just keep in mind they're not A+ Japan Saturn grade.
>>
>>3375526
I have a lot of Sega Genesis 6-button pads, over 6 Japanese Mega Drive ones (smaller shell) and 3 US Genesis 6-button pads (larger at the ends). I also have one Hyperkin GN6 controller (looks just like the one you pictured, but with a DB9 end to plug into a Genesis). I can say the Hyperkin GN6 is 95% of the feel of an actual Genesis (larger) 6-button controller. That's pretty good quality by comparison to Hyperkin's other products. However, they did find ways to reduce the cost of production a bit more with less plastic, reduced components on the board, and even less rubber membrane space. That reduced rubber membrane, which activates your presses to input information, seems to affect a bit of springiness and more unfortunately makes it so that one cannot just swap them with an actual controller.

Since I actually played a lot of Genesis games in their day with a 6-button controller (and still do). I feel that most Genesis games have the layout of the controller, 3 over 3, in mind rather than the diamond formation of a 360 controller in mind.

For my hands, the Sega Saturn (official SLS) controllers are near perfection (lacks dual analog for modern games). The Sega Saturn controllers are like the next step in the evolution of the Sega 6-button pad. Sadly I've also tried all those imitation Saturn pads, not one is even 75% the way there. I even use the Saturn pad's YZBC buttons if I sorta want a diamond layout in emulating SNES games.

I've gotten very comfortable with the Saturn pad, such that playing Radiant Silvergun and Guardian Heroes, which I have both for the Saturn and updated the 360, I just cannot play them with the 360 pad. Primarily because there was a logic to the button layouts for a 3 over 3. Fortunately, I can now convert my Playstation2 Sega Saturn pads to 360.

However, the 360/X1 pads are pretty good too, just use what you are most comfortable with.
>>
>>3375526
I have OP's pic related. I like it, but the buttons are a tad harder than on a first party Genesis controller. Also, the cord feels like it has a delicate connection with the controller, so don't pull on it too hard. There's one hidden right shoulder button that's flush with the controller. D-pad is fine. A great buy for $10 or less.
>>
>>3375526
If you can get used to the awkward swapped D-pad/analogue stick placement on the 360 controller it should do fine since so few games use 6-button controllers.

>What about other old consoles? Which controllers are best for emulating which systems?
Controllers with 4 face buttons like the 360 or Playstation controllers can be awkward for some Saturn games. Obviously they're good for SNES/PS/Dreamcast games though.

I use a cheap old convertor and a PS2 controller usually and sometimes a PS3 controller (without the spyware driver). Both good choices. I bought a Logitech controller once and that was a fucking mistake let me tell you. Don't buy PC gamepads.
>>
>>3375526
I used to emulate it with my dualshock + usb adapter

Anyway, I had a mega everdrive and the only games I encountered that seemed to benefit from a 6 button controller were street fighter and mortal kombat but you're better of emulating the arcade versions of these games anyway.

Honestly, the 3 button in a straight line mega drive layout is kinda awkward. It's perfectly fine to play Shinobi 3 with Square, X and Circle.
>>
Any good USB controllers that are well-built and don't have retarded turbo buttons? I really like the Buffalo ones for Famicom and Super Famicom but the turbo buttons are just a waste.
>>
>>3375526
>360 controller pretty much good enough?
FUCK no. Get a saturn pad.
>>
>>3375526
360 is fine.
>>
>>3375526
>hyperkin
Them, tomy, retron, etc. are all shit. They might get the looks down but the actual quality is garbage when it comes to tactility and longevity.
If you're dead set on authenticity then get the original controller and pair it up with a usb adapter.

>>3375676
I used to have one of these but as you said already they're really fragile and break easily from normal use. A shame that those Japan-only Saturn pad reissues are all overpriced.
>>
>>3377970
>dead set on authencity

By playing on an emulator that is not an achievable goal
>>
OP here with one other question: the Genesis games in question are the ones in the Steam Genesis collection. Obviously, since my PC is not a Genesis, these are emulated games.

Will a Saturn gamepad with a USB adapter work, given this?
>>
>>3377970

OP here, it's not so much that I'm dead set on authenticity as I'm looking for the optimal experience. Games are designed with a particular set of hardware and a particular control scheme in mind, and having a good controller matters. I learned this trying to play Sonic the Hedgehog with keyboard controls and failing miserably before doing much better with a 360 controller, despite having far more experience with a keyboard than I've ever had with any Xbox hardware.

So the question I'm really asking is: is the Genesis controller the best controller for Genesis games, is a USB retroclone good enough or should I get a real controller with an adapter, and if not a Genesis controller what should I get?

The vibe I'm getting from the thread so far is that I should get a Saturn gamepad and an adapter.
>>
>>3379812
yep.
You might have to use joy2key or xpadder to get it working properly, I'm not too familiar with adapters or the steam genesis games
>>
>>3379820
It seems you do enjoy retro games but aren't obsessed by it and I don't mean this in a negative way. I don't really think you should invest your money in a controller specific for a single console, you're better of with a general purpose controller.

Genesis has 3 buttons. The layout of the buttons doesn't really matter much since by the end of the day most games rely on a button to jump, a button to shoot/punch/slash and the third button which is usually for a special attack or gimmick.
>>
Saturn controller is my go to.. I have a Japanese one if that makes a difference. I didn't expect the LR buttons to feel how they do, but now I love them. But you are probably fine with a 360.
>>
I've tried a lot of controllers to play emulated retro games, and the best thing I've found is the Wii Classic Controller Pro + an adapter like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-Wii-Classic-Controller-Adapter/dp/B0089O4EB0/

It's perfect.
>>
>>3380385

That would certainly be easy to implement since I already have the controller and just need the adapter.
>>
>>3375526
>take real controller
>use shell/buttons
>put USB controller's guts in it
You are now playing correctly
>>
>>3375526

The USB genesis pad I bought sucked a huge bag of dicks.

I recommend an OEM controller and a Mayflash adapter.

The only third-party computer/emulation controllers I've been impressed with are the iBuffalo SNES pad and 8BitDO bluetooth SNES pad.
>>
>>3376965

8BitDO bluetooth SNES pad can be used wired through the microUSB port. No turbo buttons, and it's actually available with the NA buttons (convex/concave lavender)
>>
>>3375526
i bought a model 2 for like 35 bucks shipped with 2 controllers.
not trying to be a nigger but you should just buy THE REAL THING (TM)
>>
Hori Fighting Commander is a good catch all for pre-analog emulation
>>
File: 519SO1gM-ZL._SL1000_.jpg (49KB, 1000x600px) Image search: [Google]
519SO1gM-ZL._SL1000_.jpg
49KB, 1000x600px
>>3381180
forgot my image
>>
>>3381180
>>3381182
I can confirm, I just picked up one of these last week and am really enjoying it so far. Once you get used to how it feels in your hand which for me was a bit awkward at first, it feels really nice
>>
What's the best Sega brand Genesis controller? What's the best third party Sega Genesis controller?
>>
>>3375526
>Genesis/Mega Drive
Just call it one or the other, this is GNU/Linux levels of autism.
>>
>>3375526
I gave up and bought a mayflash adapter and a real Saturn controller.
There's no substitute for the greatest D-pad given to man. Importing a controller that isn't worn out from nippon is still easy.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.