[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>barely a third of its tiny library are exclusives >requires

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

File: file.png (491KB, 606x388px)
file.png
491KB, 606x388px
>barely a third of its tiny library are exclusives
>requires a separate power adapter
>inconvenient to hook up
>most of the games are barely any real step up from Genesis-quality

Who exactly was this system marketed towards? It really feels like they could've held out to make some of these games launch titles for the Saturn.
>>
I hate to quote AVGN, but his life support analogy is fitting. It was simply meant to milk a bit more life out of the console. You also have to remember that when it came out no one knew how the library would end up.
>>
>>3374908
Well the developers wanted more time to work on it but Sega of America demanded it be released (in it's half baked form) to compete with early 5th gen consoles. It went to market less than a year after it's conception, what do you expect?
>>
Sega wanted a cheaper 32 bit system for people that couldn't afford a Saturn. They really didn't see any problem with the idea of competing with themselves.
>>
>>3374908
video games went through a hyper evolution in 1994-1996. 3D graphics were new and sega fucked up by making things overly complicated. They thought the genesis needed extra life but in reality the genesis would have lasted another year without the 32x. All the games and devs should have been focused on making Saturn games. However SoA and SoJ didnt communicate very well fucked themselves. Knuckles Chaotix could have been a genesis title (see sonic crackers). They should have made 3d programming on the saturn much easier.
>>
>>3374915
If they wanted to keep supporting the Megadrive, the SVP would have been a less retarded approach.
>>
>>3374936
>32X becomes the Neptune, backwards compatible with Genesis games
>Saturn is a Neptune with CD drive, also backwards compatible with SEGA CD titles, cartridge slot can also function as RAM cart
>one costs 100$ less than the other
>system comes with a huge library and is ready to take on the 5th gen, knowing they minimized losses and provided a new console with accessible price point to the majority of customers

There, I saved Sega.
>>
>>3374968
Any one have the pic of that SEGA Neptune that one anon made because he liked to build consoles off of prototypes and add-ons.
>>
>>3374908
I'll admit there's not much on the 32X worth a damn but I'm just fascinated by it.
>>
>>3374968
If they went that route then it would've ben way too weak to hold up against the Playstation, and games would have been limited to 4mbyte carts.
>>
>>3375009
Same here. I really like the idea of playing Doom and Virtua Fighter in Megadrive, but I'm not expending the shitload of cash European resellers ask for.
>>
>>3375016
Keep an eye out. I found mine in a junk bin at a game store for $10.
>>
>>3374908
What do power sources have to do with demographics ?
>>
>>3375014
>way too weak to hold up against the Playstation

Neptune would've had the same (maybe better engineered) hardware as our Saturn, just without the CD drive, I don't see how that's supposed to be weak.

>and games would have been limited to 4mbyte carts

Then they would have upped minimum standards to at least 8MB, missing a CD drive didn't certainly stop Nintendo from doing so, likely making it reach 64MB maximum for cartridge games, which would have likely given the Neptune/Saturn NeoGeo tier arcade ports with no loading times and just missing Redbook/FMV (which might have been a big deal breaker back then but as I said, N64 did without).
Of course, people who were really interested in CDs might as well just saved up for a Saturn, Neptune was supposed to be the cheap choice.
>>
>>3375034
Are you a literal autist?
>>
dunno but it has good video output and is worth it for that if you find one cheap.
>>
>>3375059
Yeah, he's silly. Rich people can obviously generate dop out of thin air so it's obvious Sega was marketing 32X towards them and not to poorfags who needed yet another power adapter.
>>
File: Sega_Neptune.jpg (101KB, 849x690px)
Sega_Neptune.jpg
101KB, 849x690px
>>3374984
>>
I somewhat recently got a 32X and only have 5 games for it at this time but I love it. In part because it was cheap until now. I have Chaotix, Tempo, Star Wars Arcade, WWF WrestleMania: The Arcade Game, and Virtua Racing. I have so much fun with Virtua Racing and I think Chaotix really shows off the 32X's graphical capabilities.

I still want about 4 more games (NBA Jam: Tournament Edition, Kolibri, Space Harrier, and Afterburner Complete). Yet now the games has risen in prices beyond my ability to afford them. Still, I am still very happy to have a 32X.

The power brick is not much of an issue these days with the Sega Trio M1 or Retro DC Powered Adapter, which while costly has served me well. Hookup is not a laborious task, nor difficult, it's almost a one-time deal kind of thing.

So to answer the question, with my love for the addon, I guess the system is at least marketed towards me. I love my Saturn as well which I got back when that was cheap (because no one wanted one, and I was tired of flipping my Playstation on its sides or upside down to get it to work). Yes, they could have held onto the titles for Saturn, but it is special to me having Virtua Racing Deluxe go without loading and run so smooth on a Genesis. I enjoy the games I've played for it so far.
>>
The internal strife between SOA and SOJ is the stuff of legends, and it killed the company.
The 32X and Saturn being steaming piles of shit are a direct consequence of a house divided.
>>
>>3374915
Is AVGN hated around these parts?

This is information I would like to know to avoid any possible future issues with the citizens of /vr/.
>>
>>3375828
There was one fag who kept making avgn threads and gamesack threads and it was annoying. I personally think his ship has sailed but some of his early videos are alright. He just doesnt know anything about videogames outside the core nes and snes titles.
>>
>>3375828
>This is information I would like to know to avoid any possible future issues with the citizens of /vr/.
You really shouldn't be stressed about this sort of thing. It's pretty easy to offend people here, and the chain of replies often ruins threads.

at least it's not as bad as Sega-16, your eyes will roll out of your head if you read that stuff too long
>>
>>3375834
>>3375847
Alright good to know. I only recently been watching his videos and they are honestly really good and funny. Watching his videos has also made me want to become a collector. I would also play these games too.
>>
>>3375876
Tip to you. Dont collected games you dont intend to play. That is a waste of space. An Everdrive flashcart can play all genesis & 32x games if you own a 32x.
>>
>>3375876
>Collector
Hoo boy. That'll make you some friends here on /vr/.
>>
>>3375781
>Saturn being steaming piles of shit
>>
>>3375891
>Dont collected games you dont intend to play.

But I do want to do this. Most I would play but some I just simply want to put on a shelf to look pretty. I have a big enough room in my house where I can fit a pretty decent sized collection and turn it into a gaming room.
>>
>>3375828
SOME people have an irrational hatred and kneejerk for anything e-celeb or similar.

I'd just not think about it too much.
>>
>>3375009
Yeah, the idea of attaching a powerup to my system to play more advanced games is kind of cool, even if the 32X isn't that amazing.

The CD wasn't a bad attachment though, it even had a reasonably respectable library.
>>
>>3375935
Well fuck you then.
>>
>>3374908
In all honesty, as a 32X, I think the add-on is an under rated piece of hardware. The idea of it was great, but there were sever problems. It came out far too late into the Genesis/Megadrive's life cycle, and it was flawed in out it was connected, and it was poorly marketed and not too much support.

If this thing came out perhaps 2 or 3 years before and found some way to ditch the requirement for extra cables and received 1st and third party support, this thing would have been amazing.
>>
>>3375935
I mean if you have the money go for it. You will like your collection more if they are games you like also.
>>
>>3375941
>irrational
>>
>>3375828
Its a meme so if you quite him you may seem like a meme spouting fag
>>
>>3375828
You may like him purely as an entertainer, but you should restrain from listening or even parroting his video game judgements. First of all, he's a massive Nintendo fanboy, with no real education about anything video game related that isn't first or second-hand knowledge and wouldn't nearly have as much collectible video game stuff (games and consoles) if people didn't send him that many things on a whim.

Second, I'm sure you know, but most of the videos he's done don't even reflect his actual opinions and are purely inflated for his AVGN character to exploit in a comedic effect, so you would be quite the fool to ever quote his in-character considerations if you didn't have anything more solid to back it up.

There are many e-celebs which don't play a character and are actually blunt with their opinions, you can like them or hate them but at least they're genuine (most of the time) and they could also be more knowledgeable (i.e. they probably use Wikipedia). That said, unless you got a huge fanbase, spreading lies and being dishonest about what you review doesn't really get you anywhere.

James as a person is much more into movies and films than video games, really. I wouldn't condemn listening to his movie insights, he at least knows what's he talking about. Video games though? If anything more than a personal, honest opinion, nah.
>>
>>3375997
Well yes, because if you didn't like it, why would you give a fuck?

The entire e-celeb knee-jerk reaction REEKS of the same mentality of a 12 year old who just REALLY has to tell the world he doesn't like Justin Bieber or Twilight and spends a lot of time on that dislike, long after it's even relevant.

I don't like Game Theory, I think it's retarded, but I don't make a thing out of it where I have to announce it to the world or tell others about my dislike all the time, I don't tell people to kill themselves over cheap entertainment, because I'm an adult.
>>
>>3376336
Except it's nothing like that most of the time. We just don't want the board to be filled with e-celeb stuff because it isn't related to gaming so we kindly redirect you to the e-celeb thread. And people don't like other people parroting them because they come out as not being able to form their own opinion, which is perfectly rational.
>>
>>3375059
No. Just pointing out how retarded people who talk about video games are.
>>
>>3376271
>no real education about anything video game related

So??
>>
>>3374943
It would've also made games very expensive, since the Genesis port of Virtua Racing had a retail price of $100 when it launched.
>>
>>3376941
>We just don't want the board to be filled with e-celeb stuff because it isn't related to gaming
There's like, maybe 10 people on here who actually want to talk about them seriously, but there are many which are gaming related.

>so we kindly redirect you to the e-celeb thread
Yeah, god forbid someone posts content related to the actual thread topic, it might make someone here upset! I didn't post any e-celeb content by the way, I'm just sick of underageb&s making and taking bait all the time, and having to react as aggressively as possible, because they need that contrarian /v/ cred!
>>
>>3377024
>but there are many which are gaming related.
Talking about a guy who talks about games isn't talking about games. They're /tv/ material, not /vr/. And people don't care for the content of the videos, it's all weird gossip.

>god forbid someone posts content related to the actual thread topic
What are you even talking about?
>>
WTF was the 32X CD for?
>>
>>3377042
fmvs with higher colors.
>>
>>3377042
Like 5 games, 2 which were exclusive to Brazil.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.