[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In terms of rarity, what is the Black Lotus of retro video games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6

File: BlackLotus.jpg (31KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
BlackLotus.jpg
31KB, 223x310px
In terms of rarity, what is the Black Lotus of retro video games?
>>
nintendo world championship
>>
A game from the earliest days of gaming, reprinted/rereleased a couple of times, but just so darn good that everyone wants one without being a gimmick low-printrun game, and old enough that most copies probably don't exist anymore.

A Pong cabinet?
>>
File: bend.jpg (26KB, 500x374px)
bend.jpg
26KB, 500x374px
>>
>>3376263
>Unlimited lotus
>Unlimited mox in the background
>Chronicles crypt
The most un-pimp deck to ever grace T1.
>>
>>3374481
I tried getting in Magic back in the early 2000s. What a waste of money. Glad I didn't stick with it. How rare is that card? The first person I ever played against in a local tournament had one. Everyone was impressed but me.
>>
>>3376278
Well I should add that I wasn't impressed because I had no idea what was so special about that card.
>>
>>3376285
It's extremely rare. Gem-mint it can get up to $125,000 easily.
>>
>>3374481

gamma attack
>>
>>3376278
>I tried getting in Magic back in the early 2000s. What a waste of money.

It is a very expensive hobby, but it is fun...
>>
>>3376278
Every week in a local pub in a town I used to live in, there would convene a load of guys to play some spin-off of this. It wasn't Magic because I asked them - it was something else that I forget the name of. What I never got my head around is how they all just drank soft drinks all night - in a pub.

I mean, c'mon guys, have a beer FFS. You're not Roose Bolton.
>>
>>3376350
Duel Masters/Kaijudo?
>>
>>3376313
Wow. No kidding? No wonder he kept it in a protective case in his(what else) leather jacket he never took off. He used a fake duplicate in his deck.

>>3376335
Yeah maybe I was a little harsh. I did have fun playing. I just couldn't afford to be "good" if that makes sense.
>>
>>3376370
>I just couldn't afford to be "good" if that makes sense.

No I agree, there is a certain point with Magic where it is just pay to win. But that is why I usually draft (which is when you buy three booster packs and pass them around with a group and make a deck out of it). Everyone pays the same amount of money, so it feels less like a rich person's game I guess.
>>
>>3376350
In all honesty, playing strategic card games while buzzed/drunk is one of the hardest things I've ever done in my entire life.
>>
File: fDS6kT4.jpg (239KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
fDS6kT4.jpg
239KB, 1024x768px
The 1997 video game is pretty good btw. Especially modded.
>>
>>3376441
EVERYBODY POLKA HA HA HA HO HO HO
>>
>>3376350
I played with someone who was drinking before
>take all the time you need in the bathroom every 8 minutes
>accuse me and your kid of cheating every single time you come back
>act confused and defensive every time we tell you the last three moves before you even left the table before we paused
>>
Stadium events seems to have the same aura. I've never heard of NWC appearing in the wild but people have fantasies about stumbling on stadium events all the time.
>>
>>3376551
Nobody said get wrecked but just have a pint or 2. Maybe your friend can't handle his alcohol or is just a drunk though. But it just seems pointless to sit in a pub to play but not drink. What do they get out of it? They could just do it at one of their houses for all the pub atmosphere they soaked up.
>>
>>3376278
>>3376335
>Magic cards are expensive

Man, being born a poorfag must be desperately anguishing.
>>
>>3376370
>Yeah maybe I was a little harsh. I did have fun playing. I just couldn't afford to be "good" if that makes sense.
Pauper is great if you're broke and don't want to spend hundreds on a single deck. My group plays pauper EDH, probably the most bang for your buck format possible.
>>
>>3376576
Didn't someone claim to have found a sealed box of that on Nintendoage?
>>
>>3376263
The absolute madman
>>
>>3376441
Has someone made a romhack with post-M10 rule set?
>>
>>3376441
Holy shit, was this the game where you are an avatar walking across the map and can enter dungeon to duel shit?
>>
File: Diablo2MakingOfHD.jpg (3MB, 3392x3391px)
Diablo2MakingOfHD.jpg
3MB, 3392x3391px
>>3374481
The rarest thing I've got is a Diablo 2 Making of CD. Afaik I'm the only known owner of a physical one.
>>
>>3376865
Neat :^)
>>
>>3376335
if you think playing childrens games with smelly nerds is fun
>>
>>3376260
little samson?
>>
>>3376278

I used to love Magic, but outside of playing the PC game mentioned in this thread I was almost solely interested in the card art and the cards themselves instead of actually playing. I think the only valuable card that I have is an Unlimited Mox Emerald.

As for the OP question, that's hard to answer. There are the commonly cited ones like Stadium Events, which despite being recalled was a publicly available game. Rarer things like grey/gold NWC are rarer, but unlike Black Lotus were not available for consumer purchase. Also, things like prototypes are often incredibly rare, probably ranging from a few hundred down to one of a kind, but they don't have nearly the value of something like NWC.
>>
>>3376828
>romhack
>on a PC game

They're called mods.
>>
>>3377031
Oh shit, my bad. I was thinking this was the PSX game.
>>
File: 1456680094176.gif (1MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
1456680094176.gif
1MB, 400x225px
>>3376929
>he says this on a retro video games board
>>
>>3376842
Yep, this is HOMM style MTG game
>>
>>3376865
Anyone have a YT upload of this thing?
>>
>>3376313
>Gem-mint it can get up to $125,000 easily.

no. they. don't. not even half of that.
>>
>>3374481
Earthbound.

Something people think is rare but actually isn't.
>>
>>3376743
nah, it's probably a fake
>>
>>3376551
Oh god, I and my buddies used to drink while playing mtg.
I've seen quietest people in the world flip their shit. I've seen close friends screaming at each other like there was no tomorrow. I've seen tables flying. I've seen a guy literally beat the girlfriend he was with (and still is) for, like 10 years?
No drinking and mtg now.
>>
>>3376278
Nah, you can have good cards for cheap with the help of the internet. The problem is you have to dedicate much of your time to hunt for the good ones.
>>
>>3377149
CD is available here: http://www.blizzardarchive.com/pub/index.php?id=diablo2
And videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knfLKsR9qWM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcOA7CqbGXE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EezDaz95N4s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F62GEeoZe9o
>>
>>3376335
>but it is fun...
Mille Bornes, Uno, and Skip Bo are all more fun and they aren't P2W.

Hell, you can have more fun with a standard deck of playing cards since you can play hundreds of different types of games with those.
>>
>>3376828
Yes. But only in the magic.exe part of the game. The RPG proper doesn't have the changes. No idea if its intentional or not.
>>
>>3374486
Naw, dont really meet the desirability (every magic player wants a black lotus, most retro game players couldnt be assed when it comes to nwc. Only shelf collectors and resellers want nwc.
>>
File: Gold Rockman 4.jpg (169KB, 1600x904px) Image search: [Google]
Gold Rockman 4.jpg
169KB, 1600x904px
>Only 8 copies in existence
>IIRC all 8 already have been accounted for with no plans for those people to sell them.
>>
>>3378610
Well, you know how collectors are. What're you gonna do?
>>
>>3376743
>>3377359
It is a bend test to check authenticity. Even old magic cards pass it. If you do this correctly and it doesn't crease, it is real.

Not that I recommend YOU doing it.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.