[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does Ikaruga deserve all the praise it has gotten over the years?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: Ikaruga.jpg (41KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
Ikaruga.jpg
41KB, 460x215px
Does Ikaruga deserve all the praise it has gotten over the years?
>>
>>3372564
It deserves neither the shit nor the praise. It's an interesting and decent enough game, but is blown way out of perspective by almost everyone.
>>
I have seen far more hate towards it than love, at least on /vr/.

Generally I think it's considered good, but I always felt the general public accept other series like Gradius or R-type to be more iconic and got a lot more praise over the decades.
>>
>>3372570
How is it, "blown way out of perspective" ?
>>
It's fun, but I see it more as a puzzle/shmup hybrid game instead of just pure shmup, if that makes any sense.
>>
>>3372583

But let's be honest, for /vr/ standards, every popular game is overrated.
>>
>>3372626

Nice bait. I'll give it 8/10.
>>
>>3372564
Yes
>>
Shmup fans hate Ikaruga now because every stupid hipster who got into retro gaming from AVGN is parroting how Ikaruga is the greatest game ever made.

That is literally the only reason people hate it.

If you asked any shmup fan pre 2006 about Ikaruga, everyone would quietly agree that it is one of the best games in the genre, and is in everybody's top 5 who ever bothered finishing the game.
>>
>>3372626
>Let me tell you, if Radiant Silvergun had been ported to the Gamecube and Atari localised it in the west, people would be dicksucking that game way harder than Ikaruga is today tbqh.

They wouldn't, because RSG REQUIRES you to puzzle. In Ikaruga, it's just an achievement to do it, and in fact sometimes makes the game harder. You can still just fly through and gun down everything in no particular order, as long as you don't fuck yourself up by switching polarity at the wrong time.
But RSG becomes unplayable if you don't change and just gun shit down.

Unless you grind for a max score save, but that takes away the challenge from all but the last two stages...
>>
>>3372757
List of giant faggots:

>you
>>
>>3372757
Never understood the hype behind MUSHA, like it's alright but damn, there are much better shmups out there.
>>
File: ikaruaboss.jpg (127KB, 975x780px) Image search: [Google]
ikaruaboss.jpg
127KB, 975x780px
>>3372564
Disregarding the gameplay for a second, and whether or not you love or hate it, what do you think of Ikarugas atmosphere?
I fucking love it. The music is bombastic and makes me feel like I'm going on some sort of journey. All the ship designs feel like something a buddhist monk would come up with after getting drunk and browsing /m/.
Look at the first boss, and its hourglass figure, it's fucking gorgeous
>>
>>3372718

This.

Did AVGN even talk about Ikaruga ever, though?
>>
>>3372784
I wanna know what the enemy was thinking when designing that
>I present to you our secret weapon. The Wheel. So long as the Ikaruga doesn't understand the idea of a z axis, it is invincible.
>>
>>3372798

Him and Mike played Life Force/Salamander, and commented about how they played it a lot during college.
>>
>>3372728
I think he more meant that the actual combat and boss patterns are more about changing your shield and memorization than they are about fast reflexes and fluid movements. As a bullet hell game Ikaruga is really weak, the more you like other shmup games, especially high quality, difficult ones, the less you'll like Ikaruga, and a big part of that is the slow pacing of the levels and large chunks of dead time.
>>
>>3372564
No, it deserves much more praise. Game is fucking genius and still horribly underrated.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.