[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What fraction of Dreamcast games will not fit on a CD-R

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

File: dreammesh.jpg (78KB, 625x469px) Image search: [Google]
dreammesh.jpg
78KB, 625x469px
without being ripped or downsampled?

You can also express this amount as a percentage.

The Dreamcast uses special GD-ROMs instead of CD-ROMs for its games. GD holds more than CD (but less than DVD). Games that take up the whole GD need to have their cutscenes, music, or sound effects cut or degraded to fit CD-Rs.

How bad is the downsampling? Will cutscenes look Sega-CD quality and music sound SNES quality?
>>
>>3370467
We all know it uses GD roms.
>>
Unless you're comparing it directly to the official version, I doubt you'll notice anything off with CD versions.
>>
Shenmue is the one that people still talk the most.
But around early 2000s until the mid-2000s it was a problem for a bunch of games, some wouldn't work right or would have graphical problems, but things changed and the isos got better even just using 700mbs cds. Shenmue needs 900mb cds.
>>
>>3370558
No it doesn't. The first game fits 700mb with nothing removed. The second game doesn't fit 700mb.
>>
File: adamn.png (221KB, 394x343px) Image search: [Google]
adamn.png
221KB, 394x343px
>>3370467
Using CD-Rs as a substitute for GD-ROMs is a bad idea, and can brick your Dreamcast.

Firstly, the Dreamcast has some of the best copy-protection of any disc-based game console.
As everybody and their mother knows a this point, the Dreamcast utilizes not CD-ROMs, but GD-ROMs (Gigabyte Disc)
for games. The only other device to use GD-ROMs are Sega NAOMI arcade machines. Because of this proprietary disc tech,
the only way to rip software from GD-ROMs is through a shitload of hoops involving a Dreamcast itself,
a broadband modem, as well as a PC to use the Dreamcast as a drive to rip the data. Even if you rip a GD-ROM,
take that data, burn it onto a CD-R, It still wouldn't work correctly, due to the way the data is read from
the GD-ROM. Now here's something: The Dreamcast not only reads data correctly from GD-ROMs, but also music CDs
(which every disc-based console since the Turbo Grafx CD has been able to do), as well as another little known
CD format: MIL-CD, another Sega created format, mainly used for karaoke shit, like the Sega CD did with CD+G.
So, here's the big thing about all of this. The MIL-CD was discovered as a way to put your own code onto the
Dreamcast, opening the way for software like Bleem, as well as homebrew games. Now, if you honestly, absolutely
insist on running burned games on your Dreamcast, don't download some garbage that was ripped to the internet
in the late '90s/ early '00s. These rips literally force the Dreamcast to read a game in a way it wasn't intended
and, if used constantly, will eventually fuck your Dreamcast up. Stay sharp and look for some rips that are more
recent and utilize the way MIL-CDs are read. Or you can just get a job, actually buy the software secondhand,
or get an SD card reader in place of the optical drive for pirated games. Don't rip GD-ROM data to a CD-R and
force your Dreamcast to read the shit.
>>
>>3370817
Brazilians shouldn't be allowed on /vr/.
>>
>>3370817
You're retarded

No one is using 10 year old isos
>>
>>3370831
You'd be surprised as to what's been recirculated and what hasn't.
>>
>>3370817
You just legitimately suggested the SD card reader and posted a picture of Adam Koralik so you're obviously retarded.
>>
>>3370817
ive been playing burned games on my dreamcast for 5 years and have had no problems ever
>>
>>3370646
>728M 2003-11-23-Shenmue-cd1-pal-DCP.cdi
>723M 2003-11-23-Shenmue-cd2-pal-DCP.cdi
>744M 2003-11-23-Shenmue-cd3-pal-DCP.cdi
You gotta overburn but yeah I've played through the first two discs so far without troubles. Kind of worried that the third disc won't work even with overburning.
>>
>>3371394

I think Grandia 2 went just slightly over as well
>>
>>3370817
dreamcasts are extremely cheap, and literally no one has ever had this problem anyway.
>>
>>3370848
I've been doing it for a decade and my DC still works fine.
>>
>>3371394
>You gotta overburn
That's not an issue, these cdi images are a bit larger than the actual image they contain anyway
>>
How's bleem for games that aren't officially supported?
>>
>>3372920
Oh? That's good to know. I never bothered to check the resulting disc.
>>
>>3370817
So is there any truth to this tinfoil hat stuff?

Because like someone mentioned, most images you find are old ones. Am I really wrecking my DC? Where do you find these 'MIL-CD' rips and how do you identify them?
Are these >>3371394 .cdi images from 2003 likely to be the old format?
>>
you're not wrecking anything. i still have a binder full of DC isos from 15 years ago that work fine. some were overburned. fond memories of fiddling with nero and alcohol 120% on my emachine getting that shit to work.
>>
>>3370817
fuck adam and his copypasta.
>>
Sometimes Dreamcast disc images have their music monoized to cut their size in half. Other times the music track are cut short and looped.

Is it even worth burning Dreamcast games instead of emulating if the CD-R versions are so gimped?

Where do you even find non ripped disc images of Dreamcast games for the purposes of emulation?

How are the prices for non-shovelware DC games?
Are they Saturn level retarded or Genesis level reasonable?
>>
>>3370842
>>3376782

Not him, and I'm new to DC stuff, but what's wrong with Adam Koralik?

I watched like three or four of his videos and they seemed alright.
>>
>>3370817
>can brick your Dreamcast.
There's no way it can fucking brick your system you dumb fuck. It's not writing anything.
Will it wear your laser down faster? Sure, but that's far from "bricking" your system
>>
>>3377498
>Are they Saturn level retarded or Genesis level reasonable?
A bit of both.
>>
>>3370467
3/5%
>>
>>3380170
So 60% of the Dreamcast library is too large to fit on CD-Rs without being ripped/downsampled?

Might as well just emulate. Where can I find full unmodified disc images for Dreamcast?
>>
>>3380632
If you're OP all I can say is I provided the data in the format you autisticly requested. If you can't understand that format that's your problem. Next time don't try so hard to show off your autism.
>>
I played through Sonic Adventure 2 on an emulator using a rip that was downsampled to get the music and fmvs to fit a CD. It didn't really detract from my enjoyment of the game, but YMMV.
>>
File: FullSizeRender.jpg (722KB, 2220x1392px) Image search: [Google]
FullSizeRender.jpg
722KB, 2220x1392px
This helps a bit
>>
This thread is so fucked. I've has a DC since 2001 and every game I've tried to burn to CD-Rs has always worked fine. Only Shenmue 2 was too big and had all of the voices ripped from the game to fit.
>>
>>3381590
Aren't the loading times awful with this one?
>>
>>3380632
It's nowhere near 60%. I would say it's probably more like 10-15%.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.