[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/rlg/ - Roguelike General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

File: rlg.png (169KB, 644x340px) Image search: [Google]
rlg.png
169KB, 644x340px
You faint from lack of food! edition

Discuss roguelikes (and Rogue itself) from long ago.

Roguelikes are know for their depth and almost limitless replayability. Nethack was released in 1987 and last received an update in December 2015.
>>
What's the point of this? There's already a /rlg/ in /vg/. I know because it's the only general on /vg/ I visit.
>>
>>3370186
Was Incursion ever expanded beyond the original scope when the creator departed/gave up on it?
>>
>>3370186
So I started playing the original rouge on a mac plus emulator.

It's fun so far, but holy fuck are the controls weird.

I skimmed over the readme file, but I forgot what the key combos for quit session and close game were. I basically just mashed buttons until it quit, since I can't force quit the emulator without banaging the disk images.

It was like the Vim of video games.

Still though it was fun.

My only prior experience with rougelikes was the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games, which are fun but considerably easier.
>>
>>3370186
How's DCSS?
>>
File: shiren17951.png (26KB, 512x448px) Image search: [Google]
shiren17951.png
26KB, 512x448px
>>3370346
This. Actual retro roguelikes are few and far between and almost no one else on this board plays them.

>>3371015
Rogue itself is pretty archaic. Interesting to play now to see where the genre came from, but not that great in it's own right. And that comes from someone who played a royal fuckton of Rogue in my youth. We did have a few people playing through and posting our scores last year but only a handful stuck with it more than a couple days.

If you want a good retro Roguelike that's different from Adom, Nethack and Tome check out Shiren the Wanderer.

>>3372452
This is the issue with the /rlg over on /vg/. They mostly play DCSS and the like.
>>
>>3372479
Sil is pretty cool
>>
>>3370845
Nope, just a couple of supposed bug fixes and then I think the new maintainer went silent too
>>
>>3370186
How there ever been an everquest roguelike?
>>
>>3372479
Hey, I do play Cave Noire on the GB.
>>
>>3370186
I once found Shadowrun in an online emulator. Best fucking game I ever randomly happened across and I only wish I could save my fucking progress.
>>
>>3372479
Pretty pumped for Shiren 5 on the Vita in a couple days.
>>
File: received_10208841783747229.jpg (6KB, 359x359px) Image search: [Google]
received_10208841783747229.jpg
6KB, 359x359px
Angband.
That is all.
>>
>>3377965
There was a Shadowrun rougelike?
>>
>>3373603
/vr/ actually got me started on sil years ago

that shit is fucking addictive once you figure out how the 2deep4u combat works
>>
>>3371015
Just hit the ? key to get help screen with all the basic commands. Most are mnemonic, but the movement keys are like that since many old terminals didn't have arrow keys or numeric keypad. It's weird that the MacOS port doesn't support those, since the DOS and Amiga ports by Epyx do. In fact, the Amiga port even has mouse support with drop-down menus for most commands.
Various other early RPGs used one or two key commands, like Ultima and Dungeons of Daggorath.
>>
File: 101-country.png (16KB, 653x557px) Image search: [Google]
101-country.png
16KB, 653x557px
>>3372479
>Actual retro roguelikes are few and far between
There's actually quite a few, even if you don't count the endless forks of Angband (major ones like Zangband should count though).

http://web.archive.org/web/20040603202213/http://www.mo.himolde.no/~knan/roguelike/

And yeah, most people here play console games, but whatever, it's still on-topic to talk about these old games. I play them, especially the simpler/early ones like Rogue, Hack, Moria, etc.
>>
>>3380131
I don't remember the ? key doing anything, but I'll boot it up and give it a try later.
>>
>>3379493
I thought roguelike meant games like Shadowrun, Grand Theft Auto etc.
>>
>>3380150
Omega is fucking sinister.
>>
>>3382490
Nah, those are isometric or overhead.

Rouglikes are games where each level consists of rooms and corridors that are randomly generated. Enemies and items also randomly spawn, and the goal is usually to survive and make it to the next floor, but many variations exist.
>>
File: at-sign-icon-5704.png (25KB, 588x599px) Image search: [Google]
at-sign-icon-5704.png
25KB, 588x599px
1. DCSS

Long extended game. Medium power curve. Combat system is cryptic. Relentless updates (play the trunk version).

2. Sil

Pretty short. Low power curve. Simple but polished and elegant skill system. Straightforward combat (you can see the rolls).

3. Zangband

Long. High power curve. End-game dungeons (and items) available from start. Randomized overworld. Very difficult.

4. ADOM

Medium/high power curve. Background corruption as pace-setter. Wide selection of items, skills, classes.

5. ToME

Medium power curve. More polished (music). Static overworld. Unlockable classes. Mouse-driven. Uniquely atmospheric, focus on storytelling.

6. NetHack

Low power curve. Relatively short. Baffling interactions between everything. Gnomes with wands of death.
>>
File: 01_intro.png (7KB, 1023x691px) Image search: [Google]
01_intro.png
7KB, 1023x691px
Who ToME 2 here?
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.