[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Beat Them Ups

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

File: beu.jpg (707KB, 970x638px) Image search: [Google]
beu.jpg
707KB, 970x638px
How on earth does anyone genuinely enjoy "beat 'em ups?

I always see people talking about how fun games like Turtles in Time, Ninja Baseball Batman, or the Simpsons arcade game are, but I honestly just find them boring.

To me, they really have no redeeming qualities.

They don't really require any skill, other than maybe perseverance. I was playing the Simpsons arcade game recently, and I actually caught myself thinking that I would rather be playing another game, while I was mindlessly mashing the attack button.
>>
File: 1458719399465.gif (36KB, 420x485px)
1458719399465.gif
36KB, 420x485px
>>3368804
>Mac's dad in the bottom right corner
Alright OP, I'll let your shit opinion slide just this once.
>>
You need to play with friends loser
>>
>this thread again

They were made for multiplayer...back in the day there were these places...called arcades. Beat Em Ups offered a unique experience where you and a friend could team up and play through a game cooperatively as a social experience.
>>
>>3368804
In their natural environment--arcades with finite continues because your allowance only can carry you so far---they were fun in short bursts. Admittedly, I always enjoyed the licensed beat 'em ups (Turtles, X-Men) more for their aesthetic then their actual gameplay. The flaws and shallow gameplay was excusable when you were only playing for twenty minutes tops before you ran out of tokens/coins. The home ports and later MAME really exposed and shattered some childhood memories for many; they just weren't fun or challenging if you didn't have external limitations (money) working against you.

Same goes for light gun shooters. Strip away the novelty of holding a plastic gun and you are left with a simple--often criminally short--game.

Of course, everything is better with friends. But I hear ya, OP.
>>
>>3368804

>simpsons, tmnt, ninja ball basement

At least play good beat em ups like Battletoads, Golden Axe and River City Ransom.
>>
>>3368804
I would play that Always Sunny in Philadelphia game.
>>
>>3368804
>I always see people talking about how fun games like Turtles in Time, Ninja Baseball Batman, or the Simpsons arcade game are, but I honestly just find them boring.
That's because they were made to be played with friends in an arcade, and not by yourself on MAME.
>They don't really require any skill, other than maybe perseverance. I was playing the Simpsons arcade game recently, and I actually caught myself thinking that I would rather be playing another game, while I was mindlessly mashing the attack button.
Proof you don't get the genre at all. It's one of the toughest to master: memorization of the level and enemy patterns, tricks, crowd management, life management,...
There's countless 1CC videos on the internet so you have no excuse.
>>
>>3368884
River City Ransom is the only good one here.
>>
>They don't really require any skill
post you're 1cc list
>>
>>3368804
Everything you posted can be said about jrpgs too
>>
>>3369410
BARF!
>>
>>3368804
>Complains about beat 'em ups being boring
>Lists Konami beat 'em ups
Gee, I wonder.
>>
>>3368804
They require fucking loads you daft cunt but hey well done for making it painfully obvious you're a credit feeder. Come back when you can 1cc any arcade beatemup.
>>
Beat em ups are fun, but they really require good design

Konami beat em ups are good for LICENSED games, but they're still pretty shit
>>
File: okay.gif (65KB, 240x135px)
okay.gif
65KB, 240x135px
It sounds like you don't enjoy arcade-style games, OP. These games are about a slow mastery requiring a close familiarization with the game and its mechanics, a focus on crowd control, and personal improvement. The co-op element also makes them excellent for multiplayer.
>>
File: BARF.jpg (337KB, 1934x952px)
BARF.jpg
337KB, 1934x952px
>>3370295
>>
>>3368804
>found Ninja Baseball Batman to be boring
Yep, all's lost.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/user/MURPHAGATOR/videos
>>
File: 1346576079541.gif (269KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1346576079541.gif
269KB, 500x375px
>>3368804

Then don't play them? What to you want me to say OP?
>>
>ctrl+f "Guardian Heroes"
>no results

Shame on you, /vr/.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrydqcGSx1Q
>>
>>3370934
Shame on all of us for replying to a troll thread.
>>
Final Fight is one of the finest games ever made. The arcade version. Double Dragon, and Golden Axe are right up there too. Also a great Konomi one is Vendetta, probably their best beat em up.
>>
>>3370887
memerunning is gay
>>
>>3369410
Word.
>>
>>3369378
>>3369378
Agreed, this is something we should have someone do right away.
>>
Ninja Warriors Again (NWA) is so good. So good.
>>
>>3368804

GIT

GUD

FAGGOT
>>
>>3369410

Kind of excited for Underground to tell the truth
>>
>>3369407
>That's because they were made to be played with friends in an arcade, and not by yourself on MAME

No they weren't, faggot. Stop repeating this stupid meme.

Beat em ups can be played alone or with friends. Sometimes playing with others can be fun but it's not essential and can sometimes make it worse.

I think you sometimes have to play a beat em up quite a bit before you appreciate it fully. Die-and-rewind savescummers may as well not be playing at all. .
>>
>>3372782
1cc with friends > 1cc alone >>> credit-feed with friends >> credit-feed alone
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.