[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What console had the most light gun games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

File: namco light gun.jpg (15KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
namco light gun.jpg
15KB, 300x225px
I've been really liking light gun games lately. I was wondering which console had the most?
>>
Ps1 and 2.
>>
The best were probably on PS1 and Saturn. PS2. Stuff like Time Crisis series and the House of the dead were all over the place.
>>
I remember the Dreamcast having quite a few.
>>
>>3369023
I think it had a grand total of six
>>
>>3368648
Wii

Any other answer is just wrong. The Wii had SO MANY.
>>
>>3369120
The wiimote not a light gun, so technically I don't think it had any.
>>
>>3369120
The wii is terrible for lightgun games, the wiimote is way too laggy, house of the dead 2 is way better on the dreamcast with its 1:1 aiming.
>>
>>3369129
>>3369131
IIRC HotD 2 gun was similar to Wiimote.
>>
>>3369138
No it wasn't.
>>
NES and Master System have quite a few too.
>>
I know it's not /vr/ but the first xbox had a light gun iirc
>>
>>3369129
>The wiimote is not a light gun, so technically I don't think it had any.
That really feels like you are pushing it.

I mean, there wasn't an actual lightgun controller, but there were plenty of titles that were either ports or functioned absolutely the same as old arcade light gun games, aside from a few differences such as level select and/or upgrades.
>>
>>3369732
>functioned absolutely the same as old arcade light gun games
>>3369138
>IRC HotD 2 gun was similar to Wiimote

I'm not going to ridicule you guys. It just makes me sad that you are unfamiliar with absolute position gun games.
>>
>>3369750
Quit the whole passive-aggressive crap.

The gameplay is pretty much the same, the only difference is how the controller work. Saying that the wii didn't have any light gun (or rail shooter, i mean, pretty much light gun games are rail shooters or shooting gallery games) is like saying that the snes didn't have any fighting and racing games because you could't use a fighting stick nor had the steering wheel from arcades.
>>
File: target-terror-1.jpg (83KB, 640x448px) Image search: [Google]
target-terror-1.jpg
83KB, 640x448px
>>3369785
Not him, but I partially agree with his post. Yes, I think the wii does have light-gun games. Tons of them. Tons of really good ones. That being said, even I'll admit the wiimote isn't much of a light gun. It's kinda like calling your mouse a lightgun. It can do the same thing functionally, but it doesn't really emulate the gun feeling all that well since your aim is reliant on an onscreen cursor rather than pure aim. I fucking love me some Target Terror and Gunblade NY on Wii, but there is something significant lost in the translation from their arcade counterparts. And I played a pissload of those in the arcade. Fuck me though, now I have a hankering to download a shitload of wii lightgun games and put them on the usb HD. I wonder if wii's mame can handle Chiller, Crossbow, or Revolution X...
>>
>>3369813
Hm. Rethinking it here, it does make sense.

If you only consider the controller, it make sense to say it didn't have any, but it did have plenty of rail shooters and a few gallery shooters.

It still feels really wrong to downright ignore all the titles though.
>>
>>3369831

Yeah the Wii has a lot of games in that style, but you are posting on /vr/, and it's kinda obvious that the OP meant LEGIT light gun games. Wii is great for what it has sure, lots of fun rail shooters there, but if you want some real light gun action it really doesn't satisfy the craving in the same way.

And I mean, I really don't want to sound like a condescending douche here, but if you don't understand what the big deal is about the distinction here, then you are probably just not the type of person who understands the genre. It's about pointing a gun at the screen, and BLAM. That's not how they work on the Wii at all.

The mechanics are superficially similar, but think of it this way- Say ou wanna sit down and play your favourite NES platformer. You sit down to play it, and somebody hands you a PC mouse. Directions are bound the the mouse movement, and A/B are the left and right click. You'd say "what the fuck is this shit?!"

Even though the gameplay is the same, and the controls provide you with the ability to play the game, that's just simply not the way it works is it. It's all kinds of wrong.

Sooooooo what I' saying is that sure, the Wii has plenty of "light gun games", but absolutely none of the are actually LIGHT GUN games.
>>
>>3370358
I'd say it's a lot more than just that analogy, though.

Position based gun games are fine. Personally, I vastly prefer light gun games though. What systems like the Wii do is turn every light gun game into a positional gun game.

Sometimes I want to play Alien 3 or Terminator 2, they're fun games in their own right. What I absolutely never want to do is play Time Crisis with an on-screen cursor, just like I don't want to play it with auto-fire and auto-reload, because it's not the same game.

This is honestly a bigger disconnect than playing a driving game with a FFB wheel or an analog controller. When you look at the Wii shooters that are trying to ape the light gun style, like Overkill, they're a tragic fucking mess because the devs had to compensate for the terrible aiming. The gameplay isn't the same, because the whole point of the game is the controls. It's not "put this target over the enemy and click", it's "physically aim down the sights on this plastic pistol". Even if you strap a shell on a Wiimote or PS move, or put an Aimtrak in an old G-con, it's not even close to the same feeling because the accuracy just isn't there.
>>
>>3368648
I would say Arcade had the most lightgun games
but ps1-saturn also had a lot.
>Elemental Gearbolt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTrJDxdS2i8
>Project Horned Owl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LylhG5gGFw
>Namco Steel Gunner 1&2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi8_B2HkHgw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bol86pgmM9w
>>
>>3372610
>I would say Arcade had the most lightgun games

No shit brah, I think OP was talking about home consoles.
>>
File: 5168531967709_55613n.jpg (37KB, 376x396px) Image search: [Google]
5168531967709_55613n.jpg
37KB, 376x396px
>>3372610
side note on Project Horny Owl only uses the Justifier Gun. No Guncon compatible.
>>
File: 16188502.jpg (216KB, 850x1202px) Image search: [Google]
16188502.jpg
216KB, 850x1202px
Gunblade New York mother fuckers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONCFIvASKok
>>
>>3372660
I'm pretty sure there are modded versions of every Justifier game so you can play them with a Guncon.

Wish I knew that before picking up a justifier, it's a fucking awful light gun in every aspect. Inaccurate, needs the brightness turned up to even work, it's too long, and the handle isn't great.
>>
>>3372690
wow thats nice to know. I was actually looking out for a justifier but PHO is the only game I own that would use it.
>>
File: IMG_20140102_010425_zpsktr68tl5.jpg (164KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140102_010425_zpsktr68tl5.jpg
164KB, 768x1024px
PS2
>>
File: 1418985538524.gif (1MB, 277x266px) Image search: [Google]
1418985538524.gif
1MB, 277x266px
>>3372660
>Project Horny Owl
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.