[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell me some games that ported horribly to PAL.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: dithering.gif (615KB, 384x301px) Image search: [Google]
dithering.gif
615KB, 384x301px
Tell me some games that ported horribly to PAL.
>>
Anything not from Europe
>>
Pretty much all early Megadrive games.
>>
Almost all PAL ports suffered from black borders at top and bottom of the screen and running slower than intended (although there are some games like Super Mario Bros and Blue Shadow that were altered to counter the latter) which alone makes them worse than their NTSC counterparts.

Since you started the thread with the most infamous example of bad PAL port I'm going to bitch about Final Fantasy IX:
the game is already very slow-paced to begin with it running about 80% of it's intended speed makes it a fucking snorefest especially in it's battles. Also if you want to get Excalibur II in the PAL version good fucking luck, the game runs 50hz but the timer runs at 60hz meaning you basically have speedrun through the game in less than 10 hours instead of 12 hours you'd have in the NTSC version.
>>
>>3367401
I'll add Final Fantasy X to this as well, as it runs so slowly and the video was squashed even more, making it a weird widescreen style in 4:3. Thankfully the HD version made it 60hz and rectified that.
>>
File: FinalFantasy10.jpg (107KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
FinalFantasy10.jpg
107KB, 1024x768px
>>3367404
>the video was squashed even more
Tell me about it. How the fuck was this considered OK?
>>
>>3367447
The reason FFX is so squished in PAL is because the NTSC version wasn't even full screen to begin with.

At least the PAL version of FFX is actually the International Edition even though it's not labelled as such.
>>
>>3367401
If it was possible to alter games to make them run correctly, why didn't companies do this? They just thought nobody would care?

Also, how did they even get the timer to run at 60hz independently of the rest of the game? That must have taken actual effort.
>>
File: ligar.gif (831B, 75x75px) Image search: [Google]
ligar.gif
831B, 75x75px
While the PAL port of Rygar isn't technically bad and only suffers from the normal PAL problems (black borders and running slower than intended) I have always wondered why the fuck they made the final boss basically impossible to beat by limiting your stats compared to the US version.

Your max stats in US version are 4095 for tone and last and 12 hit points in the PAL version your max stats are 1023 tone, 765 last and 7 hit points. The final boss is kind of boss that can only be fought with the strategy of getting next to him and starting to hit him hoping he goes down before you do. Having less health in particular makes the PAL version almost impossible to beat.
>>
>>3367447

This is a problem with many PS1 games and most of the early batch of PS2 games, Ridge Racer V is another that's letterboxed to absolute shit.
>>
>>3367471

Rareware actually did it with most of their games, the PAL versions of their N64 titles actually run better - full screen plus optimizations like more stable framerate.
>>
>>3367471
A lot if not most of them did it actually. But only like halfway throughout 4th gen and onwards. Sonic 2 pal plays just fine for example.
>>
>>3367369
Pretty much every game not made by a European developer. It's rarely worth getting a PAL-console just for those games. Might get a PAL N64 though, solely for the Rareware games.
>>
In the PAL-version of A Link to the Past, you can't get the cloak of invisibility because of how the bomb timer was changed.
>>
>>3368446
What? That's bullshit.
>>
>>3368530
Sometimes, the PAL-related fixes just made it worse than if they had just released it with the same ROM as NTSC-versions.
>>
>>3368545
No, I mean that you are talking bullshit. I've been playing ALttp on Pal hardware for 20+ years now and never ever had trouble getting the cloak of invisibility.
>>
>>3368563
Maybe it was the blue cane.
>>
>>3368580
Nope, I can get every item without problem. Maybe you are mixing something up.
>>
>>3367369
It doesn't look that bad to me
>>
>>3367369
MGS1 and silent hill 1 for the ps1. That shit runs so slow it's like you're playing one big water level.
fucking PAL
>>
I tried playing SMB3's PAL version and it was choppy as fuck, are all PAL games like that?
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.