[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's Change Laws About Copyright

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 1464997661220s.jpg (2KB, 125x113px) Image search: [Google]
1464997661220s.jpg
2KB, 125x113px
I'm fed up with the idea that we can't play old games for discontinued systems like Atari and so on. I understand developers keep the copyright for so long so people don't recreate the game and make profit off of it. But people still do and get away with it. I also understand that they keep the copyright to secure the market and stop piracy. But it still happens. So, why not change the legality of downloading roms? I think that they should be able to keep the copyright for as long as it is now(75 years), but after a period of 1-5 years after the game and system have been discontinued, we should be able to download the game freely without worry of potential penalties. whether we actually own the game or not. As far as I know, after the initial sale from the developer to the retailer and royalties from the sale of retailer to consumer, the developer doesn't make money. Second hand sale profits go directly to the second hand store. Allowing the download of roms would not only stop people from becoming "Pirates", but also allow future generations to enjoy the history of gaming first hand instead of just reading about it. Now, some will argue that you can play the rom in-browser through government approved libraries, but it is not always a possibility given the need for a constant, good internet connection. I want to know everyone's thoughts on this and also how to improve this in order to potentially change status of the current copyright exemptions.
>>
It's cool bro, just delete the rom before 24 hours passes and you're good.
>>
>>3363464
Given the current laws in the US, that's not the case anymore. If you have something saying otherwise, please tell me. https://assets.documentcloud.org/.../2488067/2015-27212.pdf pg. 54-56
>>
>>3363483
It's a joke, anon. Something rom distributors used to say back then.
>>
>>3363484
I figured.
>>
>>3363456
Copyright is literally guaranteed by the Constitution. Good luck changing any laws pertaining to it in the US. Also fuck you, OP.
>>
>>3363504
I'm not trying to change copyright. I'm trying to add an exemption which has been done many times before. https://assets.documentcloud.org/.../2488067/2015-27212.pdf pg. 54-56
>>
>>3363456
>I think that they should be able to keep the copyright for as long as it is now(75 years)
>75 years
You're okay with mickey mouse copyright laws? Absolutely not. Fuck the mouse.

Copyright should be even shorter than it was when this country was founded due to the rate at which things come and go in the modern era.
>>
>>3363515
I agree but I don't think we could change that easily. Making an exemption, is somewhat easier.
>>
>>3363518
Yes I think the same way.

I just don't think you should say that you agree with them. It's a compromise since Disney's lawyers are unconquerable.
>>
>>3363456
Tell it to Disney. They don't want Mickey Mouse in the public domain.
>>
>>3363464
If you're a law enforcement agent, you must logout from this BBS immediately!
>>
>>3363515
It used to be 28 years (14 years, renewable once). but the jews took over and everything went to shit.
>>
Copyrights are stiffling innovation and creative thought, despite what the Disney lawyers claim.

By keeping shit out of the public domain, there is less innovation because some companies will milk their properties for millions instead of innovating to stay relavent.

It also kills derivative work and, as evident by youtube, it hurts things like reviews and satire.
>>
File: 119wjdw.jpg (41KB, 569x428px) Image search: [Google]
119wjdw.jpg
41KB, 569x428px
>>3363456
Here how copyright laws work, and piracy isn't all that bad.

Breaking copyright law is a lot like punching someone in the face. Sure it's illegal, but the person you've "wronged" has to press charges against you in order for you to get in trouble for it. If a cop knows I've illegally downloaded a movie, he can't arrest you if no one is pressing charges against me for doing it. Remember piracy is NOT the same thing as stealing something. If you pirate some software, in order for you to get in trouble for it, the people/person who owns the intellectual property rights have to it have to sue you for damages. They have to prove you pirated it, and that it's somehow costing them money because of that. The funny thing is, taking you to court would cost them more money than what they'd win from the suing you, usually. So, it's usually not worth enforcing copyright law when it comes to piracy, most of the time. Also, there's no real evidence that shows piracy is bad for business anyway, believe it or not.
>>
>>3363456
Why does it matter? You said it in your post, nothing keeps a person from just downloading the roms and playing them regardless of whatever law prohibiting it. The majority of the population is not even aware of it and they're not being sent to jail for keeping them so who cares even about the politically correct?
>>
I'd much rather we all get together and complain until copyright terms are restored to 14 years(14 year extension optional). Copyrights aren't necessarily bad but the current rules were made to prevent certain works from entering the public domain which itself should be considered copyright infringement.
>>
the police are not going to break down your door and arrest you just because you downloaded a couple of roms.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.