[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Your opinion on Tower of Drauga (PC Engine version)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 6

File: copper axe.png (210KB, 4096x3776px) Image search: [Google]
copper axe.png
210KB, 4096x3776px
Your opinion on Tower of Drauga (PC Engine version)
>>
PC Engine is probably my favorite version of the game. It's really fun once you start to get a hang of things.
>>
File: 36342378.jpg (648KB, 1042x990px) Image search: [Google]
36342378.jpg
648KB, 1042x990px
With the translation patch it's easily the best version of the original, and maybe the best game in the series (I never really got far into Return of Ishtar; I didn't like it so much). Characters were no longer stick-figures, music sounds better, and you are not stuck trying to figure out the game's arbitrary BS in order to find treasure. Plus, the experience points system is fun and turns Gil into a monster and it feels so good to have more than one speed increase.
>>
File: Druaga no Tou (Japan)-0001.png (5KB, 280x232px) Image search: [Google]
Druaga no Tou (Japan)-0001.png
5KB, 280x232px
Only played it for a bit.
Do you have to get the treasure chest on every floor?
>>
1. PC Engine Tower of Druaga
2. Nightmare of Druaga
3. Quest of Ki
4. Regular Tower of Druaga
5. Blue Crystal Rod
6. Return of Ishtar
7. The stupid online game (I never played "Druaga Online" though, it looks pretty fun).
>>
>>3355693
Some clues outright warn you against getting the treasure, though there is a little trial and error as you discover items that take away stats. For such a short game it's not so big a deal as you learn once (and are constantly learning how to get further into the tower).

>>3355720
>2. Nightmare of Druaga
Is Nightmare really that good? Not retro, but I never really got into dungeon-crawler (roguelikes?), so the "one step at a time" system of gameplay looks weird.
>>
>>3357176
Its definitely a "tower of druaga" game. All your favorite monsters are there.

It's slow, as in the game progresses slowly. Its frustrating when you are making progress one hour at a time. You maybe go up one level every two run-throughs. Most of the game is spent reforging your equipment, which is also a slow process.

But I found it more fun than any other Tower game I've played (other than the PC Engine game). There's a great deal of tension in each stage, you really need to pick your battles and plan every move when enemies close in. The best stages are the ones that resemble Classic Druaga; you've got walls everywhere that you can knock down and you can only see whatever doesn't block your view.

I can see people getting bored with it because you're running through the same shit over and over again just to get a little further in the dungeons. The strategy of boss fights is to just overpower your opponent. I still like it though, you have to be a special kind of crazy to like Druaga to begin with.
>>
File: 51X1EFFQFML._SX940_.jpg (58KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
51X1EFFQFML._SX940_.jpg
58KB, 500x375px
this game had an anime
>>
File: Druaga no Tou (Japan)-0002.png (8KB, 256x232px) Image search: [Google]
Druaga no Tou (Japan)-0002.png
8KB, 256x232px
Did Druaga start with having slimes as the entry level opponents?
>>
>>3359330
I watched it. Kind goes off the rails at the end, but I didnt hate it
>>
File: tumblr_mo31pecFiE1s99uvdo5_1280.png (532KB, 745x743px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mo31pecFiE1s99uvdo5_1280.png
532KB, 745x743px
>>3359369
I think that probably goes to Wizardry, which had "Bubbly Slimes" as early-game monsters.

It might have been the first Japanese game to do so; I think Druaga is one of the first Japanese "RPG"s.

>>3358483
All right, I consider myself a little crazy for liking Druaga to begin with, so I'll give it a shot. At least it's cheap.

I found a great walkthrough today of the arcade version, which I've only gotten to around floor 15 or so:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GrG9DUfl5Y

Even though I've beaten the PC Engine version multiple times and really enjoy it, the arcade Druaga is incredibly difficult. This walkthrough, even though the tips are a bit Engrishy, actually explain a lot of stuff I didn't even know about the game, like

>Standing between floor tiles prevents the ghosts from firing spells
>swinging your sword destroys wizard flames immediately
>stepping on a treasure chest recharges your pickax for one use

Makes me feel more confident about making progress. Comparatively the hint book with the Namco Museum tells you almost nothing other than how to get the treasures and a few-words description of what they do. Not to mention the Museum's infamously bad "Tips" sections as a whole (which amount to junk like "the game is very tough; try not to die!").
>>
>reading up on the requirements for beating the game

Shit it's like I need a Master's degree to figure all this out.

There's something to be said about a game that can permanently lock you out of the ending within the first 10 minutes of play.
>>
>>3362760
The PCE port gives you hints before the level.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.