[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sega Saturn cracked after 20 years

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 5

File: panzer-dragoon.jpg (165KB, 1536x893px) Image search: [Google]
panzer-dragoon.jpg
165KB, 1536x893px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOyfZex7B3E

Pretty interesting video. I hope this means sound emulation gets better, at the very least.
>>
Was about to post this thread
I think sound emulator is the least of what this excites me about it, the possibilities of this thing seem pretty astounding
>>
I'm a simple man and just wanna play burned saturn games without modchips or disc swaps. This guy seems promising.
>>
>>3351454
>after 20 years
True. And this guy did it again a few years later. kek
>>
My beloved modded Saturn died in a fire 1.5 years ago, this is strangely bittersweet for me.
>>
It's stories like these that give me a huge humanity boner. Just the free flow of information eventually finds one of these crazy dudes that obsess about an obscure device. Makes you really wonder if he could even pull it off if it wasn't for the Yabause guys, and also makes you wonder how many people tried and failed and we never heard of.
And although as grateful I am to the SSF guy I really can't wrap my mind around why doesn't he just open up his source code, so much more could be accomplished. Again it's obviously his choice and he's entitled to it, but if the little info that the Yabause guys have, managed out to help out a guy like this, imagine the juicy stuff the SSF guy has. What a shame.
To me the theory that the SSF guy has some insider info is the only one that makes any sense.
>>
>>3351564
Because people are shit as much as they're not.

The guy who brought the know how to the Shining Force community to get Shining Force 3 translated stole it from the guy who actually figured it all out. The experience mind fucked the original smart guy out of working on anything further.
>>
>>3351564
>And although as grateful I am to the SSF guy I really can't wrap my mind around why doesn't he just open up his source code, so much more could be accomplished

All that would happen is 50 different hacks that change the UI but would add nothing to the emulation, if not outright breaking it.
>>
>>3351584
Wait am i reading this wrong or did KnightofDragin actually steal from some other dude? Who was the other guy and is there a sauce in that?
>>
>>3351587
At least it would be better of he released Linux version.
>>
>>3351598
>did KnightofDragin actually steal from some other dude

If that's the name of the guy with the text insertion know how, then yes. It happened a very long time ago on a long dead forum I can't remember the name of so I've got no proof, m8. But he basically said it shouldn't have been shared publicly if the original hacker didn't want it stolen, and went about his translation business from there.

That's why you don't just open up all your work to others. There's always someone waiting to make a name for himself.
>>
>>3351454
20 years
not a single decent emulator

WHY??????????????????????
>>
>>3351627
When will this meme die
>>
>>3351587
That would obviously happen, but don't disregard other people eventually show up and make something decent out of it. Heck even the Yabause guys could improve their own emulator.
>>
>>3351636
There's always someone better than you, anon. That doesn't mean they get free reign of your stuff.
>>
Didnt the Rhea bloke already do this?

Theres also the Action replay work around
>>
Now I can try those really expensive games. I am still cautious of using pseudo Saturn on my console. I'm very confused about how it affects my Action Replay.
>>
>>3351829

The pseudo Saturn lets your AR cart use its 1MB/4MB RAM, but not its save function or built-in cheat codes.
But worry not, you can always reset it to its original default mode anytime you want. I personally use an internal battery to save, and an official memory cart to store backup save files, so I just use the AR for the extra RAM and playing backups/jp games.
>>
>>3351829
I just bought 2 AR carts. One for Pseudo Saturn, the other for saving
>>
>>3351837
I wonder if this is a good idea considering how sensitive that cart slot is. I'm lazy and still using the swap trick.
>>
>>3351842

>>3351831 here

The best thing you can do if you want to use pseudo saturn is to use an internal battery on the console. It's stupidly easy to replace (you don't even need to open the console case), and maybe do a back up on a cart every now and then, I do a backup of my save files every 2 months or so, in case the battery dies, but so far it's still alive.

In my experience, the AR carts aren't reliable for saving, I've lost all my saves once due to its internal flash memory getting fucked, which was what led me to decide to turn it into a pseudo saturn cart, and buy an official cart for storing saves instead.
>>
How well do Panzer Dragoon Saga, Panzer Dragoon Zwei, and Langrisser IV run on SSF?
>>
>>3351851
http://www.segasaturn.org/USA%20update.htm
http://www.segasaturn.org/Japan.htm
http://www.segasaturn.org/PAL%20update.htm
>>
>>3351848
I've done peace that my Saturn saves are ethereal, as long as they last a playthrough I don't mind anymore. Even my Official™ Sega® Saturn™ Memory® Card™ is fucked now, and get this, will short circuit the console and force it to reboot if I let it on long enough.
Nothing is sacred, nothing is safe.
>>
>>3351454
>Australian accent
>"Seega"
>arguably the king of gaming consoles

More like the Prisoner: Cell Block H of consoles...
>>
>>3351879
Saturn memory cards are the fucking devil. Glad I didn't buy one for more than ten bux.
>>
papa bless
>>
Fucking awesome.
>>
Now all we need is for Yabause to stop being complete shit.
>>
>>3352067

Never gonna happen, I'm pretty sure giving this guy tech info will be shitty thing's entire legacy. I'll never understand why there's a port of Yabause on every console known to man when the fucking thing doesn't even work on a computer.
>>
>>3352082
yabause plays a fuckton of games

shit it plays one of the most hyped games ever -- radiant silvergun
>>
Mednafen is adding a Saturn Core.

I believe in ReCaptucah.
>>
>>3351831
How do I reset it?
>>
>>3352278
Aw shit really
Do you have source on that my boy
>>
>>3352298
You just flash it with the original firmware instead.
>>
>>3352298

the pseudosaturn itself has an option to reset it every time you turn on the system.
>>
>>3351632
Elaborate
>>
>>3352340
SSF works great and it has been great for almost a decade, while people keep thinking it doesn't work just because of the shitty saturn rips floating around the internet.

I would go into it further but in every saturn thread me or someone else has a big argument about this and it gets tiring.
>>
>>3352348

The shitty Saturn rips are a MASSIVE problem, though. Has anyone gone through the effort to sort it out, with a No-Intro style deal or something? Every second game out there is busted.
>>
>>3351564
I wasn't about to listen to the guy go on for half an hour so I don't know if he said anything about Yabause but the chip was dumped a few years ago without the use of anything Yabause. Yabause, on the other hand, has greatly benefited from information obtained by/after dumping the chip.

>>3351785
Yes, and so did mod chips long before that. The whole "hurr durr AFTER 20 YEARS" bit is retarded. But this is done in a way that is technically very different and very interesting from at least academically. If it turns into a better/cheaper way to play backups great. If not it's still some very clever work.
>>
>>3352319
>>3352324
Kay. Sorry if I sound like a moron, I haven't used it.
>>
>>3351454
Australians have the faggiest fucking accents, bet this cunt lives in Melbourne.

Cool video though
>>
File: 1450981443550.jpg (854KB, 2890x1952px) Image search: [Google]
1450981443550.jpg
854KB, 2890x1952px
Safe to buy a broken Sega Saturn on Ebay now?
>>
>>3352430
>The shitty Saturn rips are a MASSIVE problem, though.

Stop posting this meme bullshit. Bin/cue fullsets have been torrented for half a fucking decade now.
>>
>>3351785
>Didnt the Rhea bloke already do this?

Rhea is a straight up drive replacement.

This thing just plugs in the movie card slot and allows you to load games off of USB, independent of the cd drive.
>>
>>3352968
Seconding this question. Should I pick up one of these? How soon is this guy going to put this into production?
>>
>>3351831
>Swapping carts in your Saturn
Sounds like those pins are going to break a few years from now.
>>
>>3352979
Just because they are floating around for a decade, doesn't mean those rips are "good"/clean.
>>
>>3352982
>>3352595
True but just because he doesn't know about the rhea, it dont mean its the first,
"News" sites are acting like hes a god because they dont know that such a thing has already been done, just in a different way.

If the drive is nackerd why not just get a Rhea?
>>
>>3353114
Because it renders all of your physical games useless
>>
>>3353114
Isn't Rhea ridiculously expensive and exclusive? As in, you have to send your Saturn to this one guy so he can mod it, and he only does like 20 every year? It might as well not exist. At least this guy has a more sensible idea of creating a commercial product that anyone can buy and install.
>>
>>3352982
The Rhea lets you load games "independent of the cd drive" as well sport.

>>3353114
Fools who don't understand how things work often misinterpret and react stupidly to things like this. I don't even know if the guy in the video is the guy who originally figured out how to do this. That was done a few years ago. Three years ago this was amazing news. I have no idea why people are suddenly excited about it.
>>
>>3353021

Thanks for your good vibes, anon.

No worries though, I have other 3 Saturns that I don't use.

Anyway as I said, I only swap carts once every couple months, if that.
>>
>>3351829
>>3351831
pseduo saturn kai has a save data manger built into it as long as you're using an AR 4in1. which are impossible to find now. it also has a better compatibility list. I just have 2 AR 3in1s. One for pseduo saturn kai and one with the original firmware on it for backing up saves. Flashing the carts is really easy. I just did it a couple of days ago. The only thing you need to worry about is where your putting your hands. I did the swap trick with the saturn open. My hand got close to the power supply a few times and got a couple of good shocks. Totally worth the shocks though. Also the AR 3in1s are only $30.
>>
>>3352979
There are a ton of games with proper rips
Maybe I just don't know your sources but I still can't find a proper Nanatsu Kaze no shima monogatari rip
The best I have is one with mp3 tracks. I mean it works but it's not what I would call a good rip
Even darkwater rips aren't close to being full sets
Maybe those full sets were in underground game before?
>>
>>3353128
Whos to say this wont be expensive?
With the Rhea he only sells them when he makes them, no hard console modding needed, just take its top off, take the CD drive out, connect the Rhea up and your good to go
>>
>>3351627
Pull your head out. There's been a good emulator for a decade now.
>>3351851
Perfectly.
>>3352067
Won't happen.
>>
>>3353459
If I were to get a Saturn and want to play imports will a 3 in 1 do me just fine or would it be the worth the trouble finding a 4 in 1?
>>
>>3353483
>There's been a good emulator for a decade now.
And that would be?
>>
File: image.png (335KB, 500x491px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
335KB, 500x491px
Why am I so stupid compared to him?

He's a genius with electronics and programming and I'm so incompetent.
>>
>>3353549
He has a PhD. Go to college, stop playing vidya so much. Then maybe, just maybe you can spend several years creating something a small niche group of nerds are excited about.
>>
>>3353570
>Go to college

College costs tens of thousands, more for any kind of decent college where I would actually learn.

I'd be a slave to the jewish debts with never-ending increasing interest if I went to college. Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>3353574
Such are the caveats of life.
>>
>>3353549
You never took the time to learn? You just aren't genetically inclined? One you can do something about.
>>
>>3353574
Even if you are American, you can go to college in e.g. Norway or Germany for "free" (or very cheap). Instruction is in English in those countries of course.

In the US such a thing as financial assistance exists. Your argument sounds exactly like what my brain thinks when anxiety is trying to talk me out of something—"no point in even trying, because I'll never be good enough and society is fucked up anyway."
>>
>>3353549
Some people are gifted with electronics

Like Krizz, Rhea guy and all those guys that work out how to jailbreak systems
>>
>>3353549
If you shitpost on 4chan all day then of course you'll only get dumber.
>>
>>3351454
what a pathetic nerd
>>
>>3353976
This guy is miles ahead of you and is a far better human than you'll ever be.
>>
>>3354069
bet he has a tiny penis though
>>
>>3353203
>The Rhea lets you load games "independent of the cd drive" as well sport.

No, it replaces the CD drive entirely. You either load games from Rhea or the CD drive, whichever you have installed.

With this thing, you can play both physical CDs or bincue CD rips without removing anything. It acts as a second CD drive in your system.
>>
>>3353462
>Nanatsu Kaze no shima monogatari has no proper rip

http://redump.org/disc/25373/

idiot.
>>
>>3353976
>saying this
>on /vr/
nice one hypocrite
>>
>>3351454
>Seaga Saturn
>CPU: 2 X MIPS
How can you crack something when you don't even know the hardware?
>>
File: 1444205919471.jpg (31KB, 505x431px) Image search: [Google]
1444205919471.jpg
31KB, 505x431px
>>3354107
That's the cue sheet files
>>
>>3352979

>Bin/cue fullsets have been torrented for half a fucking decade now.

That's exactly the problem you fucking mongoloid, every other game you find is some shitty rip some dude put together in 2006 with 2006 ripping standards i.e. bad. This even extends to private tracker sites and the like, finding a straight up bin/cue can seem like getting into fort knox and I have no idea how the situation is still so bad.
>>
>>3354123
he was cracking the cd rom block, retard

you have some serious comprehension deficits
>>
so what's wrong with SSF? worked for me the one time I ever had any desire to emulate a Sega Saturn
>>
>>3354207
As far as actually emulating the games, absolutely nothing.
>>
>>3354125
It's also the TOC and the track hashes, meaning it was properly ripped at least once.

And I seriously don't understand why you are bitching about not finding proper dumps of a game that costs $12 plus shipping on ebay.
>>
>>3354141
>That's exactly the problem you fucking mongoloid, every other game you find is some shitty rip some dude put together in 2006 with 2006 ripping standards i.e. bad. This even extends to private tracker sites and the like, finding a straight up bin/cue can seem like getting into fort knox and I have no idea how the situation is still so bad.

you what mate? the fullsets I mentioned all use proper bincue, all dumped directly from originals without any conversion, and have been around since 2011.
>>
>>3354141
>every other game you find is some shitty rip some dude put together in 2006 with 2006 ripping standards i.e. bad. This even extends to private tracker sites and the like, finding a straight up bin/cue can seem like getting into fort knox and I have no idea how the situation is still so bad.

first result on demonoid for "Sega Saturn USA":

http://www.demonoid.pw/files/details/2601173/002117845449/

>* Every single disc image is in RAW (2352 mode) BIN/CUE format.
>The files were all created by either CDRWin, or Blindread v4.
>(no Alcohol/Imgburn/CloneCD dumps)
>None of the disc images were converted from other formats such
>as CDI or Nero - everything here is natively RAW BIN/CUE.
>* All dumps were created by people who own the original disc. There
>are no files here that were "found on the net".
>>
>>3354231
>USA
Wow, a collection of boring trash games for EOPs. Big fucking deal.
>>
>>3354240
I'm sorry it doesn't have enough mahjong games and visual novels for your liking.
>>
I hope this means we get to see some Homebrew Saturn games, maybe even a port of Doom that doesn't suck
>>
>>3354215
Yes I understand that it was ripped, just saying I can't find it son. Again, a lot of rips were lost with Underground Gamer. And I don't really want the game until / if it's translated, I was just using it as an example.

And it doesn't cost 12$ on ebay
>>
>>3354448

I'm really curious to see what a well-written Doom port for Saturn would look like.
>>
File: 1389802534055.png (5KB, 186x186px) Image search: [Google]
1389802534055.png
5KB, 186x186px
>>3354231
>Seeders: 0 Leechers: 2
>>
>>3354454
Considering that Quake / Powerslave / Hexen / Duke3D are pretty decent ports (albeit some levels had to be changed here and there) there is no excuse for the Saturn not being able to handle Doom.
>>
>>3354465
>what is DHT
>>
>>3354453
>And it doesn't cost 12$ on ebay

It does. Regularly.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=saturn%20nanatsu%20kaze%20no%20shima%20monogatari&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684
>>
>>3354487
You were lucky this time Anon, I'll get you someday
>>
>>3354472
I heard the Saturn port of doom was pretty much fucked for a stupid reason. Basically Carmack came in and said "No hardware rendering!" in order for the game to look more like the PC port, but that ended up meaning the game lagged like hell. Really a shame considering the Saturn had the best port of Duke (At least uncensored) and Powerslave, and played a pretty good game of Quake, but thanks to a wrong direction, Doom ended up going badly.

>>3354454
I'd imagine it would look more like the Playstation port of Doom, with a little bit of differences, or maybe similar to Saturn Duke
>>
>>3354543
>Saturn had the best port of Duke

You know, to call a game a port, it actually has to be a port. PS1's port is arguably the most accurate of the bunch, so it is by definition, the best port.
>>
>>3354597
There's no point in making a super authentic port if it runs like shit.
>>
>>3354605
Except it doesn't. Take out all the bells and whistles and it runs at an acceptable framerate most of the time, nothing game breaking in my opinion.
>>
>>3354339
Nice meme bro, but it is universally recognized that the JP-only library for Saturn has a great deal of appeal.
>>
>>3354207
Nothing.
>>
How does someone even go about learning to do something like this?
>>
>>3353549
These two guys said it right: >>3353620 >>3353815

>>3353570
This guy is being a naive dick. You don't just go to college and magically know how to do shit. Typically the people who get more prestigious degrees had hobbies that coincide with the field before hand.

This guy is just a dick: >>3353917
>>
>>3358014
In my experience most people don't learn much of anything useful in collage today. Unless you take some real math/science classes you probably come out worse than you went in.
>>
>>3353497
a 3in1 is fine. I use a 3in1. they are only $30.
>>
>>3355849
Mahjong and visual novels have a great deal of appeal in Japan.
>>
>>3352095
it plays a fuckton of games really poorly, slowly, and is almost singlehandedly the reason Saturn emulation is considered as bad as it is

>>3351851
dunno about Langrisser, but it works brilliantly with Panzer Dragoon Zwei and Saga

>>3354454
It'd look like the Duke 3D port.

>>3352348
admittedly, this
there's a stupid amount of completely garbage Saturn rips
>>
>>3352302

Just some test screenshots posted. Nothing spectacular.
>>
>>3356801
You can start building circuit boards and learn about wiring in general.
>>
>>3359403
GTFO muthu fuka. weez kidz don't need no stinking boards
>>
>>3358102
This.
>>
>>3351454
That's pretty cool, thanks for the find anon. If only someone would do the same for the Nintendo 64 also.
>>
>>3354453
For the love of god, just get a pleasuredome account and grab the redump copy already. They have the full redump and always the current mame set, why haven't you joined already?
>>
>>3365945
I actually have an account but forgot the place exists
Thanks for the reminder
>>
>>3352348
SSF would be great if it supported good virtual disk applications like WinCDEmu
>>
>>3366657
SSF isn't perfect, but what's up for debate is the actual emulation, because every emulator has its own quirks. Hell, it shouldn't even need external Virtual Drives, so that's a moot point.
>>
>>3366660
I'm gonna go ahead and guess the creator is just anti-piracy and wants you to use legit disks.
>>
>>3366662
Who knows, he's a Japanese hermit coding in some cave in the mountains for all we know about him
>>
I hope this will either support the Video CD features, or at least have a passthrough for a video CD port. Some games use it for better FMV.
>>
>>3353574
If the guy makes these in a proper housing that fit flush in the system at $100/pop, they'd still sell really well. He'd easily make at least 30k from it.
>>
>>3353574
>What a scholarships and grants
>>
>>3351454
It's neat work. Practically it doesn't give us pirates too much more than Rhea/Phoebe already does.
Maybe it will equate to something cheaper than Deunan's shit but that certainly wasn't the case with gd-usb.
>>
So if this could lead to homebrew. Do you think the Saturn would finally have a good port of Doom?
>>
>>3371085
Why do you care? There's tons of good source ports for modern operating systems, and Doom isn't exactly a game that's suited well for consoles.
>>
>>3351454
...offers nothing that Rhea/Phoebe doesn't already do
Thread posts: 122
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.