[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thanks, John.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

File: Daikatanabox.jpg (67KB, 410x500px) Image search: [Google]
Daikatanabox.jpg
67KB, 410x500px
Thanks, John.
>>
>>3348475
How long until someone tries to claim it's actually great and anyone hating on it is just parroting e-celebs?
>>
HIS BITCH
>>
>>3348475
This game is underrated and all of the kids that bash on it are just parroting e-celebs.
>>
>>3348506
>>3348529
LOL
>>
>mfw the Gameboy game isn't actually bad
>>
I hope John learned his lesson than wasting the game budget in apartments and prostitutes isnt a good idea and his new FPS game turns out good
>>
>>3348540
And it's hella hard to find.
>>
>>3348515
>An early advertisement for Daikatana, created by marketer Mike Wilson and reluctantly approved by Romero, was a red poster with large black lettering proclaiming "John Romero's about to make you his bitch.", a reference to Romero's infamous trash talk during gaming.

>Romero would later apologize for the infamous "John Romero's about to make you his bitch" advertisement. Romero stated in an interview that "up until that ad, I felt I had a great relationship with the gamer and the game development community and that ad changed everything. That stupid ad. I regret it and I apologize for it."
>>
>>3348631
>In 2004, Romero released the ROM images for the Game Boy Color game on his website, for use with emulators.
>>
>>3348637
I was talking physical copies.

On a side note, is the rom evens still on his site?
I couldn't find it last time I looked. You can still find it elsewhere though.
>>
>>3348640
his site isn't even anymore. Probably moved to Quake 2 engine or something. But yeah, the rom is out there
>>
>>3348640
the rom's pretty sufficient. Just use an emulator or flash cart
>>
>>3348506
The argument I've heard is that the deathmatch is actually pretty decent. I've never played it online, so I can't confirm, but I would point out that even a shit game can be fun when playing online regardless.

The singleplayer is inexcusable though, if someone tried to defend the myriad of terrible design decisions and horrendous A.I they are lying to themselves.
>>
>>3348540
It's actually kind of fun, reminds me of the James Bond game on the gameboy.
>>
>>3348749
>myriad of terrible design decisions
which?
>>
>>3348475
SUCK IT DOWN
>>
>>3348627
Hey, Romero throwing all his money down a garbage chute is what gave us Deus Ex.
>>
>>3348897
that one wasn't really a garbage chute.
Anyway, I think Romero's getting a lot of unfair attacks. He fucked up, sure thing, Rockstar developer and all that. He learned though, and regardless of his immense hubris, he does know his shit and contributed a lot of positive things to gaming, directly, and indirectly.
>>
>>3348475
Welcome.
>>
>>3348908
>He learned though,

I'd rather wait until his new game comes out before jumping to that conclusion. He hasn't worked on any big projects after Daikatana and most of his bad rep has washed away so I can easily see his ego going through the roof again.
>>
>>3348951
>I'd rather wait until his new game comes out before jumping to that conclusion
A lot of time passed since Daikatana. What difference is an extra year or two going to make?

>He hasn't worked on any big projects after Daikatana
That may be part of the learning, going back to a sane scale, doing actually fun games, instead of big games.

>most of his bad rep has washed away so I can easily see his ego going through the roof again.
What does one have to do with the other?
>>
>>3348749

Deathmatch and co-op are actually really good. Unbalanced, but fun.

Single player Episode 2 and 3 are really good as well. Play without partners because you're more effective than they are.

Single player Episode 1 is utter shit, and I say this as an honest-to-god Daikatana fan. Go thorough it if you can, but I don't blame you one bit if you want to skip it and go straight to Episode 2, which is where the game gets a huge boost in quality. Co-op makes E1 a lot more fun.
>>
>>3348956
>What does one have to do with the other?

Mainly with the fact that hardly anyone really brings up Daikatana anymore and that with his new shooter coming out a ton of people will start throwing praise about the original master of FPS design returning to form. I'm just worried that kind of stuff will get to his head though I'm still excited to see how it will turn out flop or not.
>>
>>3348963
>hardly anyone really brings up Daikatana anymore
Do you think a game from so long ago would be representative for the skills of a person?

>throwing praise about the original master of FPS design returning to form
would be justified, no? He knew his shit, and did quality, when he wasn't fucking himself over.

>I'm just worried that kind of stuff will get to his head though
again, why? Do you deny people the ability to learn over the course of well over a decade?
>>
>>3348965
>Do you deny people the ability to learn over the course of well over a decade?

No I just wanna see how he handles a larger project to know for sure he actually learned. It's very likely he did but I just don't wanna get high expectations in case he didn't.
>>
>>3348981
>I just don't wanna get high expectations
that's regardless of who does something, no?
>>
>>3348475
the proteus lp was some of the funniest shit
>>
>>3348828
Go play the game and experience the first level. As a fun experiment, try to find something not wrong with the whole deal.
>>
>>3349083
will do. Just figured you might have anything substantial to say, instead of repeating meme points, this being a Daikatana thread and all.
>>
>>3349086
I suggested the first level because it encapsulates everything wrong with the game right off the bat: obnoxious enemies, monochromatic levels, terrible level design, weapons that hurt you and mosquitoes.
>>
>>3349091
weapons that hurt you isn't a bad idea if done right, actually.
>>
>>3349098
neither is monochromatic levels
>>
File: behold2ibmdrives.png (807KB, 380x2762px) Image search: [Google]
behold2ibmdrives.png
807KB, 380x2762px
>>3348475
>>
>>3349098
>>3349104
Sadly, neither was done right in this game. Every weapon has a drawback, which makes you unable to rely on any single one to progress through the game. The shotgun fires 7 times every time you pull the trigger.
I don't get the monochromatic level comment, though, it gets really annoying after a few minutes of seeing nothing but green, with green lighting and green water, fighting green enemies (substitute green for blue or purple in later levels). Even Quake I had more varied environments.
The positive thing about this game is the RPG-ish system they tried to implement. It was a novel idea for shooters but it wasn't implemented very well.
>>3349109
Good post.
>>
>>3349131
>Every weapon has a drawback, which makes you unable to rely on any single one to progress through the game
sounds like a very good thing, to me. So I suspect the implementation is just fucked

>The shotgun fires 7 times every time you pull the trigger
a normal shotgun fires a bunch of pellets with each pull of the trigger. Sounds like they just dialed that concept to 11, for better or worse

>I don't get the monochromatic level comment
that's fine
>>
>>3349139
>sounds like a very good thing, to me. So I suspect the implementation is just fucked
It is, the explosion area of effect is ridiculously huge in anything that explodes.

>a normal shotgun fires a bunch of pellets with each pull of the trigger. Sounds like they just dialed that concept to 11, for better or worse
No. It fires 7 times in a row. As if you fired a shotgun in full auto.
>>
>>3349169
>the explosion area of effect is ridiculously huge in anything that explodes
sounds fair, gives explosives some nice oomph. They often feel very "local" in action games. Sure, that's for mechanical reasons. I guess Daikatana shows first hand why these mechanical reasons exists.

>No. It fires 7 times in a row
Yeah, I got that. But ultimately it just means more shots flying in the direction you aimed. Like, expanding the shotgun in another dimension (time)
>>
>>3349176
No, the area of effect is much too large, and no, 7 shots in a row is just a waste of ammo for no discernible reason.
>>
>>3349201
>the area of effect is much too large
compared to what? Game explosions or real ones?

>7 shots in a row is just a waste of ammo
better pay attention when to use it then
>>
I think Romero should have just released the Quake 1 version instead.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.