[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I just beat Planescape: Torment the other night. Good game,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 1.jpg (198KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
198KB, 1024x768px
So I just beat Planescape: Torment the other night. Good game, great narrative, shit combat, you know the drill. But I've got some major issues with the ending

The game sums up its own major theme with the question 'what can change the nature of a man?' By the end of the game we see that the question is virtually unanswerable in a succinct fashion as the nature of the Nameless One and his incarnations, though sharing the same flesh, have developed into completely different individuals. TNO then regains the memories of his past selves by melding with them but does not become some sort of amalgam of personalities rather he remains the same man you’ve controlled throughout the whole game, albeit with new knowledge. By this token I don’t see why in the end he must return to the Blood War as some kind of atonement for his past selves when it has been established that he is not the same man as his incarnations. His nature has been changed. It’s almost like the ending undermines the game’s theme, implying that one’s nature is unalterable. Also, I ended the game by killing the Transcendent One. If TTO is my morality, then shouldn’t I also die instantly?
>>
I couldnt get over how stupid the stupid locked room puzzle that you solve by killing yourself.
>>
>>3345467
i have this game. is it rare?
>>
>>3345467
>I don’t see why in the end he must return to the Blood War
The Blood War is inescapable it's the equivalent of hell for D&D sinners. As all incarnations of TNO share the same soul weighted by the same sin that condemned him to the Blood War it makes no difference if he remembers his life or not. Because let's be honest his incarnations are nothing else but a altered states of mind not new beings with different souls.
>>3345483
It's actually pretty clever as it was designed so only a immortal could escape it and doubled as a lethal trap for anyone not being one. If I remember correctly it was build by the practical incarnation as a trap in the first place to stall the shadows(which failed)
>>
>>3345467
>If TTO is my morality, then shouldn’t I also die instantly?
You die in every ending anyway with your soul being transported to the blood war. Funfact:The Blood War ended in the new D&D editions So much for it being eternal
>>
RTwP seems like the perfect evolution of turn based gameplay, but I can't think of any RTwP game with actual good gameplay. Are there any?
>>
>>3345970
It really wasnt clever at all. Its pretty idiotic actually.

It was designed so stupid players would be "oh shit, how clever!" But anyone with half a brain would see how it wouldnt work in the established mythos of that universe.

TNO loses memory when he dies (debatable since most people who defend the game say "yeah, but not every time he dies" then what is the trigger for a death that causes memory loss?)
When TNO dies he reappears back at the start of the level. How does he get there? It is implied that people go around collecting the dead. So you could assume that they find TNO and start catting him off until he starts to revive. Alternatively, you could think that party members still alive could drag him off to safety.
The puzzle requires you to flip a switch that opens an outer door and locks you in the room.
There is no way to open the door to leave (or for someone else to enter) the room without pulling the switch again, but that would shut the outer door again.

Are you seeing the problem yet?
>>
It seems to me like the point of the game is actually that there is nothing that can be done to change your destiny as a man but the nature of a man is a something that is in constant fluctuation. The different manifestations show the growth and journey of a person as they continue to change throughout life sometimes changing for the better and sometimes for the worse. The memory loss in my opionion represents how you can not move forward in life unless you make peace with your past and the memories that haunt you. If you try to repress and forget those thoughts you end up in an endless repetitive cycle, eternily lost.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.