[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Homeworld Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 5

File: homeworld.jpg (19KB, 256x308px) Image search: [Google]
homeworld.jpg
19KB, 256x308px
Let us pay respect to the greatest RTS ever graced to mankind.
>>
File: Cataclysm.jpg (47KB, 400x490px) Image search: [Google]
Cataclysm.jpg
47KB, 400x490px
The fact that Cataclysm wasn't included in the remaster due to missing source code is a travesty. The story was at least as good as the original in a different way.
>>
This game is really good for RTS begginers because there is no terrain or buildings just units.

The graphics have aged better than any other 1999 game.
>>
A common misconception about the singleplayer campaign of Homeworld is that the size of the enemy fleets in each mission scales to the size of your own fleet at the end of the last level.

Actually it is affected by how many units you lost in the last mission. If have a tiny fleet and you don't lose any units then the enemy fleet will be full size.

If you didn't use a single unit and then you ordered your research ship to self destruct then the enemy fleet will be smaller.

Overall fleet scaling was minor in the first game.
Cataclysm had the difficulty setting decide the fleet size.
Homeworld 2 had fucked up scaling that punished you for doing well to the point that some later levels were impossible to complete unless you self destructed half your fleet at the end of the previous level.
>>
im playing HW1 for the first time, the Remaster actually, so far it's pretty good but it really punishes you. Any keyboard commands I whould know besides F?
>>
>>3345953
on top of everything else the remaster use the scaling of hw2 for both games. fuck gearbox.
>>
>>3345418
please can someone help me
is the remastered versions worth getting
i loved the originals but i heard that the new versions don't' play the same
is that true?
>>
>>3347820
There is no point to the remakes because Homeworld (let alone Homeworld 2) has aged magnificently.

The remake is also riddled with bugs and uses the wrong engine for Homeworld 1. The netcode is fucked up and makes multiplayer unplayable.

You can get widescreen resolutions for Homeworld with a simple registry tweak.
>>
>>3348034
Speaking of multiplayer, does anyone still play HW online, and where?
>>
>>3348042
The forums for the competitive scene (clans setting up matches) haven't been posted on since 2007 or so.

After the WON servers went down people used Hamachi to connect to eachother.

I think here are still a few people playing Homeworld 2 multiplayer.
Homeworld 2 has better support for mods and modding.

I don't think Cataclysm multiplayer was ever big.
>>
>>3347417
wrong
>>
It isn't a Homeworld thread if the age old question isn't asked:

Do you prefer Kushan or Taiidan?

I like Kushan because their ships look more sleek but I recognize the 2 Taiidan exclusive ships are more useful than the 2 Kushan exclusive ships.
>>
The campaign of the first game is not difficult.

It's quite possible to clear all levels without losing a single unit.

I got lazy toward the end and lost a corvette in the second last level and a couple bombers plus a frigate on the last level.

I always play without using salvettes as they make the game more tedious.
>>
What formations do you guys use for your ships?

I like:

Delta for fighters attacking big ships
X for fighters attacking other strike craft
Wall for corvettes and defenders
No formation for capital ships
>>
along with Company of Heroes
>>
Never played a Relic RTS before. Should I start with Dawn of War, Company of Heroes or Homeworld?
>>
>>3345938
>The graphics have aged better than any other 1999 game.
I agree. I don't mind the remaster, but it hardly needed it. The shit is gorgeous.
>>
What colour do you paint your ships?

I like using dark red with white stripes to make my ships look like they are made of brick.

Or yellow with green stripes for a banana look.
>>
Super casual rts desu. There is a reason a real competitive community never formed around this game.
>>
>>3354868
Because its not made for koreans.
>>
>>3354876

Of course, the most common excuse for scrubs.
>>
>>3354910
Spoken like a true korean.
>>
>>3354910
All RTS games are shit. I don't get how people can like them.
>>
I only skirmished against the CPU and never played the singleplayer.

Still one of the finest games I have ever played.
>>
>>3354959

Starcraft BW, warcraft 3, supreme commander, men of war. There aren't really that many good ones.

The whole 'lol koreans' and 'gookclick' meme is perpetuated by complete shitters who don't know the first thing about RTS. They never study the tactics, they never consider opportunity cost, the mindgames, the economics of expansion, how to balance your limited mental resources, the timing of attacks, sound build orders, how to make judgements based on incomplete information, how to predict what your opponent is going to do based on what information you think they have, or even properly learn all the controls of the damn game.

Even in Brood War, the game that supposedly requires inhuman clicking speed only requires about 100 apm to play at a decent level. Bear in mind 1 apm is ANY non-redundant action. So selecting one control group, clicking a, and then right clicking (left clicking? muscle memory, man) to attack move would count as 3 actions. As long as you create a mental checklist of tasks to accomplish during your match (oh no! you have to think ahead and develop a framework to succeed!) and develop intentional habits during your play this is very easy to accomplish.
>>
>>3355031
RTS games still suck.
>>
>>3355031
Homeworld is begginer friendly because it has no terrain and no buildings.
Are there any other reasons why it is considered casual?

Tell me more about opportunity cost, mental resources, and attack timing.

What is a good noob-friendly RTS to step up to from Homeworld?

What do you think of Starcraft 2 vs Starcraft?

What is the oldest RTS that isn't too simple/archaic (mechanics, not graphics)?

What do you think of Warcraft 3 units doing randomized damage?

Has the real time strategy genre in 2016 been destroyed by jew executives dumbing it down to pander to normie vermin or are there still good games being release?
>>
>>3355173
Can somebody please explain the (you) meme?
>>
>>3355828
Which counts as responding to bait but newfags don't understand that.
>>
File: destruction of karak.jpg (300KB, 1240x1754px) Image search: [Google]
destruction of karak.jpg
300KB, 1240x1754px
>>3354051
Purple and grey every day.
>>
>>3356256
Is there any more of this fanart?
>>
>>3356398
Just this, I'm pretty sure. Filename has source.
>>
>>3355502
>Are there any other reasons why it is considered casual?
not him, but only one resource to manage is pretty nice imo even if it could be considered a casualization of the genre.
>>
How am I to understand the firepower readings in the unit building screen?

When it says defenders have 5 firepower,
does it mean that each bullet they shoot does 5 damage?
Does it mean that each barrage/burst of bullets does 5 dmg?
It it simply damage per second?
Is this number for each individual defender gun or for all three at once?
>>
>>3347417
>fuck gearbox
The dynamic formation they recently added is sex in space, anon.
>>
>>3345418
I got to visit Relic during a community event and sat through a post-mortem on Homeworld.

It was pretty cool.

most of the other people were cringy spergs obsessed with Company of Heroes
>>
>>3348034
Homeworld was a slow mess with poor interface, less we talk about HW2, which other than looking nice doesn't add anything good to the formula. No matter what you choose, you'll still play a Relic game, style over substance with a few good ideas marred by a sloppy execution and the sorriest excuse of balance, with a sidedish of pretty graphics to swindle easily impressed fools.
>>
>>3358981
What makes Homeworld's interface bad?

What's unbalanced in Homeworld? The units?
>>
>>3359103
Oh I don't know, the fact you have to hammer M to move around, because using the right mouse button might be too much? The awful camera that outright refuses to be moved around because you do need to see those sick manuovers all day rather than your main force getting pummeled right behind? The fact that you can trivialize the game with salvettes or swarms of bombers and multi-turret corvettes or heaps of ion frigates? The fact that moving up and down is largely meaningless? There is a good reason the whole 3D space RPG thing floundered.
>>
>>3359672
I never had a problem with the camera or giving commands.
I suggest you press the button "training" in the main menu.

>moving up and down is largely meaningless
Larger ships have less armor on their dorsal and ventral surfaces.

>salvettes
Only good as a distraction - quickly targetted and killed in major battles

>bombers
Torn to shreds by scouts

>multiguns
By the time you research these your opponent will have assault frigates

>ion frigs
Easily rammed by larger ships
>>
You are raiding an enemy resourcing operation in multiplayer.

There is limited time before he sends in reinforcements.

Do you go after the collectors or the controllers?
>>
>>3360487
How can you even use scouts other than for thje first mission. They are useless unless you exploit the formation glitches. And don't even try to defend a camera that needs a lock on to something to be moved around, because letting you move it freely might be too much. You deserve all the nerfs frigates got in HW2.
>>
>>3356818
To the best of my knowledge they're completely meaningless and arbitrary.

Fortunately there's always the Homeworld Shipyards to give you accurate statistics and information.

http://shipyards.relicnews.com/

I think the Defender does 3-4 damage per gun per volley.
>>
>>3361390
Scouts are just faster interceptors that do half damage.

Scouts with afterburner move twice as fast as bombers intercepting them faster than interceptors before they can do any damage.

Ten scouts can erase a minefield in seconds taking no losses.

Speed boosted scouts can outrun the shots of missile destroyers causing them blow their load and turn their backs to your main force.

Not building scouts is a fatal mistake in multiplayer. Enemy scouts will grow into a swarm that pops your "superior" units
as they emerge one by one from your mothership.

IIRC there is a button that lets you pan the camera.
>>
File: avatar2963_3.gif (12KB, 140x140px) Image search: [Google]
12KB, 140x140px
>>3345418
Oh, I love Homeworld, it was the game I fell in love with instantly the second I started playing the demo which had only first two missions you didn't even get to fight with actual enemy but I loved moving my ships around, sad that they don't make demos anymore.

I liked Cataclysm and the second one as well but they're pretty different in terms of gameplay because you know salvaging wasn't a big part of the game. I thought it was only fitting that an exile fleet would need to capture ships from the opposition. And it was really fun to chase ships down. Even though after the first playthrough it gets really easy to fetch ships, it still was a nice aspect as you challenged yourself with more. Refer to the picture I got from a forum, salvette salvaging a salvette.

Also I think they never should've ditched the formation and ballistics. That added a lot of depth to combat and I felt like HW2 was over simplified and aimed at multiplayer rather than single.
>>
>>3347820
See >>3347417
It's not worth getting just because of Gearbox, but >>3348034 makes sense in that the originals are still worth it.
>>
tfw kharak is burning
>>
Which side has the better exclusives?

Kushan cloaking fighter and drone frigate
or
Taiidan defense fighter and defense field frigate
>>
>>3366076
I don't know. Even though all have their uses they're pretty much like gimmicks. If I had to choose I'd say defense field frigate because being able to defend against first wave of bombers makes a difference as it frees up some firepower to be directed at other targets. But then again having missile destroyers is a better alternative and field frigate is expensive.

Cloaked fighter is good for surprises but the period is short and the ship is expensive so impossible to get enough to make a difference in an actual fight. Cloaked gravity well is fun though.

Drone frigate is probably the most useless of them all.
>>
>>3366076
Most multiplayer vets play Kushan.

Because of a quirk in the game the Kushan support frigate is able to heal itself; its communications module/antenna is so long that its healing ray can reach it.

Supports are the first frigate built to refuel the survivors of the initial fighter furballs, stay behind corvwalls, and get ready to heal the coming assualts and ions.
>>
>>3367101
Don't multiplayers turn off strike craft fuel burn in the options?

What are the most common options selected in HW multiplayer?

What map is the de_dust2 of Homeworld?
>>
>>3345552
They just lost some source code?
>>
>>3345552
You may want to look up the word travesty. If you meant tragedy, I agree. If you meant parody, I'm not sure I follow you.
>>
I played through the campaign at least a dozen times.
>2nd play through realize you can salvage that carrier
>3rd play through realize you can salvage the destroyer too.
>>
>>3368959
>you can salvage the Ion Array Frigates
>you can't salvage the Assault Carrier
it's a bad feel
>>
>>3369167
I'm pretty sure you can salvage the Turanic carrier if you open the game script files and remove the unsalvageable flag from that ship.

You can salvage strike craft by waiting for them to run out of fuel. If they still evade the salvette tell the salvette to kamikaze them and change to salvage just before it hits.
>>
A common misconception about tactics is that aggressive "shunts power to weapons" and evasive "shunts power to engines" resulting in greater shot damage or speed.

What tactics actually does is this:
Evasive ships do not fire unless ordered to
Neutral ships turn and fire back against enemies
Aggressive ships pursue any enemies in sight

Resource collectors will flee to the mothership when attacked unless set to aggressive.

For strike craft (fighters and corvettes) aggressive increases shot range by 25%

Fighters in neutral will spread out their formation and shake to dodge enemy shots when attacking.
Fighters in aggressive will keep close formation and stay steady when attacking
Fighters in evasive will split up into groups of two and fly all over when attacking

When corvettes attack capital ships they sort of lose their formation and circle around it while firing
>>
>>3372153
Tactics does not affect the attack power or speed of any ship.
>>
>>3372153
Tactics only functionally change the "firepower" of strikecraft in the sense that groups in aggressive and neutral will maintain formation and spend more time with their guns on target instead of evading constantly, but not actually change their weapon or velocity characteristics (more fuel is burned in evasive only because they spend more time at max speed avoiding fire).

For capital ships, as far as I can tell, tactics only changes the aforementioned fire discipline of the crew: whether they hold fire, return fire, or fire on contact.

>>3369915
Salvaging Swarmers was a favorite tactic of mine; all the firepower of a Heavy Corvette in the speed of a Scout.

Multi-Beam Frigates were overrated. Missing half the time and breaking formation to do the retarded spin greatly reduced their tactical viability beyond killing immobile motherships.
>>
>>3373407
Do corvettes split into pairs on evasive like fighters do?

Do corvettes on neutral spread and shake to dodge bullets like fighters do?
>>
>>3369167
What, the Turanic carrier in the mission after all the Kharakians burn to a crisp? You can definitely do that, so you can have a carrier long before intended. One of the things the remake did was to make it unable to function as a carrier, making the game's dificulty curve slightly less of a joke.
>>
reminder that I have the source code and will post it if someone wants it
>>
>>3373801
You cannot get the Turanic carrier from level 2 and 4 in Homeworld classic without modding.

I think you mean the Taiidan carrier in level 5.

Carriers are not overpowered. They have weak guns with pitiful range. The only way to use them offensively is to ram frigates.
So what if you can get a carrier on level 5 when you can build destroyers at the end of level 6.

You should not build more than one carrier in single player otherwise they will stand in front of your heavy cruisers at the start of the mission and slow them down. You need to move fast in the final 2 missions.
>>
Found in a guide:

>Experimentation has shown that tactics tend to have a rock, paper, scissors effect with strike craft; fighters in particular. The outcomes are as follows [this is not written in stone]: Evasive beats Neutral, Neutral beats Aggressive, Aggressive beats Evasive.

Does anyone else's multiplayer experience with fighters corroborate this?
>>
>>3376339
As far as I can tell Aggressive trumps everything (eventually), with swarms of Evasive Scouts/Interceptors used to delay and tie up formations until your Missile Destroyer gets in range.
>>
>>3355502
Try the 90s CnC games.
>>
For corvettes you want aggressive for the +25% range.

Except when attacking capital class ships. Then the shorter range of neutral makes the corvettes circle closer which makes it harder for the frigate to turn and shoot them.
>>
>>3379302
Don't forget that heavy corvettes have spatial charge z attack and it destroys fighter swarms in a single volley. Its beautiful
>>
>>3379325
The charged burst of heavy corvettes can kill defense fighters who would normally zap their bullets.

I don't know if the charged burst can bypass defence field frigate sphere as well.
>>
The deck guns on the mothership are comparable to 5 light corvettes.

The deck guns on the carrier are comparable to 4 scouts.
>>
>>3356818
The firepower (and to a lesser extent coverage and manueverability) ratings shown on the build screen are fictional and should be ignored.
>>
>>3352057
Dawn of War, for sure, though it may as well be a Starcraft mod
>>
What is the best way to use your support limit in the Cataclysm campaign?

Do you replace ships as bigger ones become available?
Acolyte>ACV>Frigates>Destroyers>Dreadnoughts

Do you use a mix of large and small ships?

Do you stay with upgraded acolytes the whole game for their fast movement/reaction time and the fun of micromanaging wings of them?
>>
>>3385081

The game isn't hard, just mess around and have fun. The guy talking about babbys first rts is totally right.

If you really want my bs opinions:
Acolytes are relevant the whole game. They can refuel and re arm their missiles by linking and missiles are good damage.

Hive frigates are great for most of the game. Multinbeam is not as great. They're anti corvette which aren't a big threat really. Frigates are trash later in the game because of the infection weapon. Fighters stay good to trigger the weapon and save your destroyer hp.

I end up just sitting on resources if I have my destroyers/dreadnaughts full and a reasonable fighter/frigate screen.
>>
>>3385242
What is the function of the ramming frigate?

When I used them they didn't seem to do much damage against other capital ships. Is there a creative way to use them that makes it worth it?
When would you want to push away enemy ships from your main battle group?

Can they reliably hit corvette formations?
>>
>>3386097
>Can they reliably hit corvette formations?
Very much so. When playing on Normal or harder difficulties I found the Ramming Frigate to be very good early game at popping any corvette and tanking their shots while the weaker Acolytes and ACVs take on the fighters. Acolytes/ACVs without all the armor and weapon upgrades tend to get chewed up by stronger traditional Taiidani/Turanic corvettes, so having a frigate that can fight them is a big help. The Ramming Frigate can help against carriers too, since it can tie up their point-defense guns while pushing a source of strikecraft reinforcements further away from the main furball.

This all goes out the window once you start fighting Beast units. You can ram most of their corvettes usually but ramming a Cruise Missile has predictibly bad results, and ramming any Beast capital ship also causes immediate infection. The Ramming Frigate becomes useless at this point unless you want to try to kamakaze a crystal into an enemy formation (which will probably get the frigate infected before it succeeds: just use the siege cannon). Somtaaw Destroyers and Cruisers, which will be the only useful vessels against late-game Beast fleets, have missiles so you generally just ignore strikecraft anyway.

It's a shame, because I really like the idea and design of the Ramming Frigate, but it's severely neutered by the nature of the Beast infection. Maybe if the Advanced Ion Cannon upgrade actually let you use it as an Ion Frigate at range it would have been good, since Somtaaw severely lacks in the frigate department.
>>
How hard is Cataclysm campaign on its hardest difficulty?

Homeworld campaign can be beaten with 0 units lost with the right ships and tactics.
I have learned to never do the repulsor dome upgrade for the dreadnought because it blocks your ventral ion cannon and you lose much firepower.
Are there any other upgrades which should be avoided?
>>
How to capture a turanic carrier

This will explain how to mod Homeworld to allow you to capture the turanic carrier, Rancor, in missions 2 and 4.

Step 1: Mod tools: Go here: Jst-online.net and scroll down to the bottem, then download WinBig. Install it.
Step 2: Unpacking files: Open up winbig, then click open and browse to your homeworld directory. Then click on homeworld.big. Extract all files to your homeworld directory.
Step 3: finding and opening the file: Close winbig and you should see plenty of new files and folders. open P1(pirate 1) and you should see folders, .shp files, .lod files, and one .mad file. Open up mothership.shp with wordpad.
Step 4: altering the file: scroll down until you see the word salvage. You should see two lines, one saying that there are 6 places where salvagers can latch on, and another saying that it takes 99 salvagers latched on to move it. Well, you can't put 6 more than 6 salvagers on it, so change that later part to a number between 1 and 6. You can do this to any ship in the game, in fact. Kadeshi is p2, same file name, bentusi is traders, floatingcity.shp, taiidan is r2, mothership.shp, kushan is r1, mothership.shp
>>
>>3387554

Seems cheaty to me, but I might be tempted to try it just for kicks.

What exactly can the Rancor do? Can it be used as a build and drop off point a la a regular carrier?
>>
Anyone remember the balancing mess that was PDS mod?!
>>
>>3388464
No, tell us about it please.

Was it for HW, Cata, or HW2?
>>
>>3388582
PDS = point defense system.
It was an approach to implement a realistic naval combat.
Battle cruisers bristling with vls batteries and PDS guns and lance weapons. Frigates would behave more like stock fighters and be much more maneuvreable.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_gLCY36IAHY

Never got any of my friends to play, so i was stuck in skirmish mode. Was excidingly fun to play.
When remastered came out, i hoped someone actually redo the mod but haven't checked for a long time.
>>
>>3388582
It's a mod for hw2
>>
Collectors can ram corvettes caught in a gravwell if you have no offensive units ready.
>>
Ramming frigates in Cataclysm can do more damage to capital ships if you cancel their attack after they ram and then order to ram again, rather than waiting for them to push the enemy ship far before detaching.
>>
Is Cataclysm multiplayer considered better balanced/designed than HW?

How well do workers and processors heal ships with their repair beams compared to the repair vettes and support frigs of HW?
>>
To enable pilot view in Homeworld go into the properties window of the Homeworld shortcut and add /pilotView to the end of the target field (with a space).

To get pilot view working within the game, you need only to focus on a unit and then press “Q”, this will put you into the pilot view. You can then “jump” from one unit to another by alt focusing. You can even put yourself in the pilot view of enemy / allied ships.

Also, when in pilot view you can give the attack and move orders as you usually would be able to do.

Enjoy!
>>
Capital ships seem to be much more accurate in Cataclysm than Homeworld.

I've seen some ion frigates killing small wings of fighters.
>>
Mines dropped from minelayers last 15 minutes before disappearing.
>>
There is actually a single Turanic raider in the final mission of Homeworld.

He is above and behind the mothership.
>>
We all know Homeworld 2 is not the greatest sequel.

But Homeworld vs Cataclysm
Which is better and why?
>>
Is my copy of Homeworld glitched or does everyone else's support frigates shoot nearby asteroids for no reason?
>>
Since a Missile Destroyer will only target 4 units at a time, and because missiles do not attempt to acquire secondary targets if their current target is destroyed, the missile volley special ability should not be used against strike craft.
>>
So how to use up the Cataclysm support limit?

Does anyone use scouts except for that one nebula mission?

When should you use acolytes and when should you use ACVs?

How do sentinels compare to defenders?

How cost effective are kamikaze mimic/martyrs for combat?

How many workers do you keep around for healing?

Is there any reason to build processors when they get infected easily and you can just use time compression for harvesting?

Ramming, Drone, Multibeam: should you use all three types of frigates or is one of them overall the best?

Should you stop using frigates once you get supercapital ships?

Is it better to have 2 destroyers or one dreadnought?
>>
>>3398424
Think if you really want to be spoiled and say yes. It's really not a very hard game. It's fun to mess around and figure it out
>>
>>3398424
>So how to use up the Cataclysm support limit?
In Single Player, due to Beast Infection units in the second half of the game and Somtaaw Destroyers and Dreadnoughts getting missile launchers, bigger is better. Generally I end up with 2 Dreads, 3 Destroyers, and fill the rest with Acolyte/ACVs, with some SUs set aside for utility units like Workers, a single Mimic, maybe a Processor.

>Does anyone use scouts except for that one nebula mission?
Not really. Stealth units aren't that common late game and I'm better off with Acolytes or a Mimic doing scouting.

>When should you use acolytes and when should you use ACVs?
I tend to keep one group split and one linked: have Acolytes launch missiles, ACVs EMP the survivors and cover the other group as they link up. For general combat I keep them in ACV mode for survivability.

>How do sentinels compare to defenders?
I'd argue they're superior, especially after upgrades, but are redundant in the fleet. Somtaaw doesn't need a Defender archetype strikecraft: Kuun-Lan and Carrier point defense guns are far more effective against strikecraft than Kushan Mothership and Carrier guns, and are better supplemented by more Acolytes/ACVs.

>How cost effective are kamikaze mimic/martyrs for combat?
Never bothered with them in Single Player except for the aforementioned scouting purpose. I'd rather use Acolyte missiles .

>How many workers do you keep around for healing?
4, but a Processor with its 4 repair beams is more SU efficient.

>any reason to build processors?
Not really. Maybe for fleet repairs.

>should you use all three types of frigates or is one of them overall the best?
Ramming is bad against Beast capitals, Hive is a good midgame offense unit, Dervish is meh for defense. I use none late game.

>stop using frigates once you get supercapitals?
See above.

>2 destroyers or one dreadnought?
I'd always say Dread if the Repulsor dome didn't halve it's firepower. Dread is tankier, 2 destroyers are killier.
>>
Trick to beat level 9 sea of lost souls:

The ghost ship takes control of capital ships and uses them against you. Fighters and corvettes are unaffected.

So build a drone frigate and send it to attack the ghost ship. You will lost control of the frigate but the gun drones will keep shooting and disable the ghost ship in a few minutes.

But what if you are Taiidan? What is the easiest way to beat the level if you can't build drone frigates?
>>
A large collection of Homeworld multiplayer game recordings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p_Jsj2nMsI&list=PLUmlduw0Zc37KPppOLdYbJgiCGvoDAp6I

Everybody starts with scouts and light corvettes.

They build collectors, controllers, and an extra research ship at the beginning.

No one builds drone frigates or cloaked fighters ever.
Defense field frigates are common and defense fighters are uncommon.

Sensor arrays are never built.

Longer games see destroyers both regular and missile.

No games ever reaches heavy cruisers.

Carriers are never built.

Kamikazeing and ramming are commonplace.

The player who kills the other player's collectors and controllers wins the game.
>>
Anybody get HW1 (not remastered) working on Windows 10? For me it works with OpenGL 640x480 resolution but anything higher crashes. With Windows 7, NT 4.0 compatibility could be used but 10 doesn't have it.

I did get it working with higher resolutions using VMWare Player and a Windows XP VM, but it's a bit awkward to use. Haven't tried getting widescreen resolutions working yet.
>>
>>3402782
Windows 10 is a virus. Wipe your drive immediately with DBAN and install an operating system.

I reccomend Vista which is still getting updates/drivers and unlike 7 and 8 doesn't have 10s spyware and botnet backported through windows update.

Some people still use XP but if you are going that far back you might as well use Win2K with is faster/lighter and doesn't need activation.

For DOS games and certain late 90s games you must use 98SE.

Linux is a great alternative. It has drivers for the latest hardware and WINE has good compatibility with retro and nearly retro windows games. OpenSUSE is considered to be the best linux.

If this is all too complicated for you then buy a Mac. But never drop it or spill drink on it because their build quality is shit.
>>
>>3401178

The easiest way for both sides is to build a gravwell generator. As tough as the Dawg is, it's still a corvette and can still be netted.

So move the whole fleet out, have a gravwell generator, catch it, and pummel the thing with your entire fleet. It should last a minute or two, and then all you'll have to worry about are the guns.
>>
>>3401178

Err, ignore everything I wrote in >>3402881, misread what you wrote.

Honestly, I didn't use the drone frigates and I always play the Kushan: By mission nine, I'm usually well over my support limit in Frigates due to the ones I steal.

Honestly, the easiest way is probably what I do with the Kushan anyway; a small force of decoy scouts to lure away the enemy, most especially the missile destroyer, and a bunch of bombers to just pulverize the thing. You can knock it out in 20 seconds if you're sharp.
>>
>>3350362
>without losing a single unit.

he didnt complete all levels by not only only not losing units but also capturing all ion frigates, array cannons and even that one turanic raider missile corvette that appears on some early mission that appears in the middle of the map.

it takes a dozen tries of save scumming to have some salvages positioned to neuter the missile corv in time for another salvage to disable it for good,
>>
>>3351641
Claw for for fighters attacking big ships, since all ships get into firing range more or less at the same time.

but in general its best to simply use evasive or neutral tactics with no formation and let fighters use their supperior maneuverability to avoid big guns while slowly grinding huge ships
>>
>>3354941
>zelda & final fantasy player detected
>>
>>3354868
H2Complex

a mod for more massive battles and more ship types, i never tried it though,
>>
>>3373804
>source
i want it anon

multiupload or mirrorupload if you can, thanks
>>
>>3402352
>The player who kills the other player's collectors and controllers wins the game.

well, as with any RTS ofc, the fighter bomber is what makes the rock paper siccors work in homeworld, the fighter bomber can reach the resource ships fast and retreat in case of incoming multigun corvettes, so thats why everyone still keeps scouts to afterburn in pursuit of fighter bombers, and then you use interceptors near to protect the retreave of the bombers while still using ships that can escape corvettes, and untimatelly if you dont have the corvettes on approach vector there's no reason for the enemy keep firing ur gatherers even after ur scouts arrive... anyways,

perhaps if some mod added somekind of resource silo at basecamp there would be a reason to have carriers and to hyperjump capital ships into enemy territory.
>>
>>3402834

>Vista.

No way jose.
>>
>>3405692
At release Win7 had a smaller memory footprint than Vista but in 2016 after so many years of patches and service packs they are both the same bloated.

Fully updated Vista is essentially Win7 with a nicer UI.

If you insist on using 7 or (ugh..) 8 then you should run the patch that removes the backported Win10 spyware updates.

https://github.com/th3power/aegis-voat/releases
Download the newest one. It says source code but it's actually a bunch of files.
Right click on Aegis.cmd and run as administrator.
>>
so, anybody interested in playing some pirated homeworld 1/c/2/2complex non-remake?

im sure theres ppl playing hw2 on official, but nevermind.

what messenger ppl use nowadays that is not personal like whatsapp or telegram?

but that isnt some resource hogging program and/or use just for gamming?

or should i just get an acc in evolve, steam, discord?

icq 111376137
>>
>>3408858
>lol icq
why aren't you on skype nigger

its pretty hard to not have steam for at least that one multiplayer game you wanted to play that didnt have an alternative seller or multiplayer wasnt based on steam frameworks

but fuck running steam as ur main messenger even if only for keeping in touch with vydia acquaintances
>>
>>3408838
ok
>>
>>3412434
alright, maybe
>>
>>3412475
Uuuuh better not
>>
>>3413168
on second thought, might as well, spin up the FTL engine, turn DRADIS on, wake up karan sjet
>>
pingbump

our sensors have detected a hyperspace signature similar to our own jump engines in the cloud ahead
>>
We'll have actual discusion after a brief battle with raiders.
>>
What's the best formation for all the units?
>>
>>3418419
>What's the best formation for all the units?
docked

theres no such thing anon, thats the reason for formations

atk bombers set to evasive and no formation will get shot less while still slowly eating away at large ships with rapid small particulated projectiles.

two fighters groups atk, delta formation only leaves ur first fighters as single initial targets to be insta killed, while coming with claw/x/wall/line you will have everyone atk the first enemy of the delta and insta kill them

same logic applies to defensive ships, use wall.
>>
>>3418419
I like using Claw for my fighter class ships during combat, and having rotating spheres of stealth fighters to take down individual capital ships. The capital ships will forever rotate trying to fire at the constantly dissapearing stealths.
For capital Ships, the best formation is Wall-- In any other formation they spend hours to get into proper formation rather than fucking attacking. They should also be always supported by a fuckton of Repair Corvettes, since they are cheap enough.
Also, in later levels you'd do well replacing Resource Managers with a Carrier -unless you have one manager per collector-, since that ensures the Collectors will always have a ship where they can repair themselves that will last for quite a while under enemy fire and can start offensive measures if you find an enemy base unexpectedly-- A carrier supported by a fighters sphere can pop up more fighters without they being destroyed on launch, and that may give you time for more capital ships to arrive.
>>
>>3419367
This anon's advice is pretty much spot on. Didn't the original game box come with a really lengthy manual/guide? I remember reading it, and it gave the same advice.

Fighters = claw
Capitals = wall

That's really basic but 100% solid advice for beginners.
Thread posts: 122
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.