[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there anything better than booting up the PlayStation for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 11

File: 52528-WipEout_2097_(E)-1.jpg (102KB, 639x650px) Image search: [Google]
52528-WipEout_2097_(E)-1.jpg
102KB, 639x650px
Is there anything better than booting up the PlayStation for a few rounds of Wipeout 2097 with a cool, refreshing can of Red Bull®. Not only does Red Bull® taste delicious, but Red Bull® contains all the caffeine, taurine, and B vitamins that you need to give that extra edge on the competition.
>>
File: 74b.jpg (40KB, 600x693px) Image search: [Google]
74b.jpg
40KB, 600x693px
who could be behind this post?
>>
The funny part is Red Bull wasn't even sold in the US when that game came out. I remember playing it and thinking "what the fuck is Red Bull?"
>>
Yes, that would be booting up the SNES for a few rounds of F-ZERO with a cool, refreshing bottle of Fat Tire®. Not only does Fat Tire® taste delicious, but Fat Tire® contains all the ethanol, ethanol and Belgianity that you need to give that extra edge on the depression.
>>
>>3343130
I didn't know about the excessive ads in the game because the Windows version didn't have any. They really disrupt the game
>>
File: 1467838943253.jpg (346KB, 1600x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1467838943253.jpg
346KB, 1600x2000px
>>3343130
Mario kart + weed
>>
>>3343148
>>3343229
There are no Fat Tire or weed ads in these games
>>
>>3343232
>he never found the secret craft beer ad in F-zero
>>
>>3343130
>Wipeout
If you like this game, checkout BallisticNG.
Can't wait for online mulitplayer.
>>
>>3343130
Ugh, no, that stuff's nasty!

I vastly prefer BLAM!. The champ endorses BLAM! light.
>>
>>3343142

This.

Played the shit out out of 2097 from release then finally had my 1st Red Bull 2 years later on a skiing trip.
>>
Is it me or was advertising far more noticeable in retro games? Aside from free mobile games, I can't think of any non retro games with prevalent ads. Perhaps I just haven't played enough newer games to notice many them
>>
>>3343202
Was the Windows version set in North Korea?
>>
>>3343612
this is an interesting observation. I can't really say either way, but I support the notion of investigating this further
>>
File: SneakKing[1].jpg (78KB, 468x287px) Image search: [Google]
SneakKing[1].jpg
78KB, 468x287px
>>3343142
>>3343597
Thirded. This was certainly the first place I heard about Red Bull and I wasn't sure if it was fictional or not. Probably the best ever video game product placement I can think of off the top of my head.
>>
>>3343142
Yeah same. I thought it was something made up for the game until I saw it for sale.
>>
File: 930.0x524.0.jpg (552KB, 930x524px) Image search: [Google]
930.0x524.0.jpg
552KB, 930x524px
Feeling a little hot? Why not grab an ice cold can of KIT KAT?
>>
>>3343815
That's the literal definition of hell.

>packed with people
>spew and shit everywhere
>so hot, mouth is bone dry
>vending machines everywhere
>press button for water
>kit-kat comes out
>no exit
>>
File: 1366812127265.jpg (51KB, 340x480px) Image search: [Google]
1366812127265.jpg
51KB, 340x480px
>>3343130
>2097
>not 3: Special Edition
>>
>>3343685
>Probably the best ever video game product placement I can think of off the top of my head.
The other anon was complaining about it but I think the advertising actually adds to the game, too. Futuristic mag-lev racing sponsored by an energy drink, makes perfect sense to me.
>>
>>3343665
The Windows and Mac versions were identical to the PS version, minus the ads. The billboards were showing generic futuristic graphics instead and the loading screens had no additional text
>>
>>3343919
3SE is not liked around these parts because the dev fucked with the physics and the game has no 60Hz variant
>>
>>3344080
Yeah I know but he was doing it IN hindsight just like how you're praising it. Back in the day it was literally advertising from the future. We didn't even know it gave you wings.
>>
>>3344080
>The other anon was complaining about it but I think the advertising actually adds to the game, too
Red Bull was quite known to me at the time. The problem is, it's contemporary. The game itself takes place in the distant future, yet these ads were clearly in the present. It was a really jarring disconnect, a reminder that you're playing a game. It was also a bit thick and hamfisted, the color and style of the billboards clashed heavily with the otherwise dark neon tracks, they're aimed at the racers, instead of the spectators, and there are no other companies, fake or otherwise, advertising, which makes it stand out even worse.
If they had put the ads on the sides of the track, let TDR design a futuristic Red Bull logo, add a shitton more billboards for fictional pseudo-japanese brands, it would all have worked. As it was, it looked bad.
>>
>>3344113
Fucking Germans take the joy out of everything.
>>
File: ads.jpg (16KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
ads.jpg
16KB, 480x360px
this is how you do advertising in a racing game
>>
>>3343612
mentality of companies shifted. Back in the days games were seen as a means to be a cool and hip company. Nowadays games ads are more of a liability. Prices also shifted. For a few bucks a company could get a pretty prominent position in a game and the game got a serious financial boost. You'd have to spend far more now to produce a similar boost to the budget, all while your product placement is likely easier to miss. The ROI is just not there.
>>
>>3344113
Those are all legit complaints. Maybe I should get around to trying the PC version.
>>
>>3344138
Purple Hexagon®
My favorite.
>>
File: mmmyum.png (861KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
mmmyum.png
861KB, 1366x768px
Nothing is better after a hard day of Jet Bike racing than a cool, refreshing Chef Boyardee®. Chef Boyardee®; it's what's for dinner.
>>
>>3343815
how the hell do you fuck up this bad in Theme Hospital?
>>
File: 1452204308598.gif (4MB, 224x168px) Image search: [Google]
1452204308598.gif
4MB, 224x168px
>>3344103
>The Windows and Mac versions were identical to the PS version
>minus the ads
>doesn't bother to mention the soundtrack is completely different by 82% with nothing but Cold Storage and minor graphic effect differences
>>
>>3344614
>doesn't bother to mention the soundtrack is completely different by 82% with nothing but Cold StorageI forgot about that, mea culpa. Oddly enough, I like the Cold Storage soundtrack more, because it's more consistent and no "real world" tracks.
What minor graphic effect differences?

>meme image
fuck off, asshat
>>
>>3345127
Lighting, shadow, transparency, don't know if this was an error on my end but the thrust beam too.
>>
>>3345334
>Lighting, shadow, transparency
>thrust beam
can you expand on the differences, please?
I played Windows' 2097 a huge lot, only played very little of the PS version (ads annoyed me too much). Windows version had the 3Dfx advantage, but I figured the rest (forgot about the soundtrack, really, kind of embarrassing) is largely the same, or at least that was my impression

Also, fucking thrust beam. The game oozes so much style
>>
>>3345347
Again, I said these are minor graphical differences so I hope nobody tries to nitpick on my own nitpicking but

Lighting is brighter on PS1, the PC version is extremely dark like most '90s hardware accelerated 3D games.

Ship shadow on PC version is a dark gray matte looking thing and lack the proper transparency to make it look proper. This is probably the most erroneous thing about the PC version. Which leads to the next point.

Transparency is superior on the PS1 version, on the PC version the green HUD is just dark green instead of being additive blending like the PS1 version. Also noticeable on the weapon icons and thrust gauge.

Speaking of thrust gauge, the PS1 version is purple-magenta-red-yellow-white. PC is just purple-red.
>>
>>3345369
>the PC version is extremely dark
oh yes it is. Also really makes the 16-bit dithering stand out, really bothered me.

As for the other differences: noted. I seem to recall some of them.

Since you know the PS version considerably better than I do, how did shield and cockpit view do together? On Windows it would completely demolish the framerate, which was frustrating as fuck.
>>
>>3345372
>how did shield and cockpit view do together?
I can't say I ever played in first person, the tilting is too much for me.
>>
>>3345392
the tilting was mandatory for me. When I saw 3rd person footage of the game (at the time I didn't even bother looking at it, first thing I'd do in a racing game's options is enable cockpit view) I was floored. The game looked like half speed, and so static. Also loving the 3D cockpits in wip3out SE
>>
>>3343130
saturn version. thats it.
>>
>>3345401
>3D cockpits in wip3out SE
Those were just 2D overlays not modeled cockpits
>>
>>3345863
Jesus christ anon.
>>
File: 08-07-2016 20.25.30.jpg (30KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
08-07-2016 20.25.30.jpg
30KB, 512x384px
>>3345863
The cockpit is 3D modeled, it does have a bit of polygon jitter, the cockpit camera spans around when you steer hard, and you can the textures bend in various planes on the interior model.

I vote your post to be the dumbest one of the week.
>>
Is there a simple way to get into /vr/ Wipeout? I've played all the non-/vr/ entries.
>>
>>3348017
download a game, pop it into an emulator, play
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.