[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When was the last time you replayed what was an old favorite,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: Grandia.full.137028.jpg (195KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Grandia.full.137028.jpg
195KB, 1024x768px
When was the last time you replayed what was an old favorite, only to discover it's not as great as you remember?

Recently finished replaying Grandia for the first time in years and frankly it was really disappointing. The pacing was terrible and a lot of the dialogue dumps were just more annoying than anything. The worst part was how slow combat seemed to be compared to what I remember, not to mention the obnoxious load times before and after each fight.
>>
Duke Nukem 3D. Played the holy fuck out of that game back in the day. Thought I could never get tired of it. Tried it again about 5 years back, and it felt somewhat gimmicky and the AI was brain-dead. Had some fun, but not nearly as much as I used to.

Half-Life also had a similar effect. Was the game I would play for hours on end back then. Was always amazed at how good the AI was and how real the world felt. Played it again a few years ago, and it felt sterile as fuck. Movement felt awkward, physics were wonky, and the levels felt repetitive. Worst of all, the AI felt completely retarded. I spent most of the game chasing enemies and shooting them in the back since they were scripted to run away when you got too close. What little challenge remained came from trying to do first person platforming. Not even the gunplay was as fun as I remembered.
>>
Quest 64. No words.
>>
>>3342106
>Legend of Dragoon
Knowing the truth about Shana really takes anything neat away from any story after the first disc. Shit got tedious fast on 2 and I just quit there.
>>
Time to replay games = None for me
>>
>>3343216
Hmm. I don't know anything about Shana. I'll have to wait a year and play the game, then, since I have no spoilers! Yay for having a backlog of good experiences...
>>
Any rpg. But that's not about the game, it's just me not having the patience anymore.
>>
Yoshi's Island. I remember feeling like it's a huge step above Mario proper, but really the level designs are retarded, and riddled with unrewarding secrets that don't even feel good to find like say, Donkey Kong Country, and the castle levels are the fucking worst.
>>
>>3344516
Would you play them if you were able to start with buffed characters? Sometimes i think about this, games like FF or DQ have an annoying combat, not in the way FE makes you feel each one of them is important
>>
>>3342106
any pokemon game.
>>
>>3344694
Not him, but it's not so much the characters being weak as it is the story being slow for the first half. After years of playing RPGs I've really come to realize I don't have much patience for RPGs that start off in some small village and take forever for you to gather your party and finally set out and have the pace actually pick up. Like Grandia mentioned in the OP, it's first 1/3rd is really slow to get going.

I find that when it comes to replaying games, I can recall the beginning parts more than the later parts of games, so getting through the familiar start is the hardest part, which is especially true for RPGs.
>>
Spyro year of the dragon. After playing 1 & 2 years later I realized 3 was the worst. I shouldn't have revisited it.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.