[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is this objectively the best 16bit rpg?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5

File: smrpg.jpg (19KB, 271x186px) Image search: [Google]
smrpg.jpg
19KB, 271x186px
Why is this objectively the best 16bit rpg?
>>
Why not?

It was developed by two of the biggest software companies when they were in their prime.
>>
Playable Bowser for the first time.
>>
Revolutionary rythm-based battle system, great humor, wonderful visuals, awesome music and sound, startlingly deep story with deep characters, Mario
>>
That's not Phantasy Star IV
>>
>>3341694

But explain why
>>
>>3341697
Because it's clearly not. That's obviously the box for Super Mario RPG.
>>
>>3341417
>incude a CPU three times faster than SNES CPU was
>claim it's SNES so powerful
>>
>>3341417
Because it was during a time when these companies knew what the fuck they were doing. The 16-bit era were Nintendo and Square's greatest years. Nintendo's Charm + Square's RPG Mechanics = This masterpiece.
>>
>>3341723
Really have to agree. I'm not that fond of Nintendo but the SNES was one of the greatest consoles ever made with this game being a shining example of that.
>>
>>3341697
PSIV has five man parties, customisable battle macros, combination attacks, and cool weapons like boomerangs.

No other JRPG comes close.
>>
>>3341801
Can't choose between this or Chrono Trigger. Seiken Densetsu 3, Phantasy Start IV and Final Fantasy VI come close.
>>
>>3341417
Simple.
Easy to understand plot and mechanics
Accessible.
Virtually no fluff. It's very focused.
Short and sweet. Can beat it in 8-10 hours.
Every character is viable (though Mario/Bowser/Peach or Geno is generally the best setup)
Platforming elements are used well and are enjoyable.
Cartoony and fun. The plot is lighthearted and silly and never takes itself too seriously.
>>
Chrono Trigger will always be the best RPG game, period.
>>
Fun, simple, appealing art style, memorable characters, bitchin' soundtrack.
>>
>>3341876
>role-playing game game
>>
>>3341903
this always makes me smile
>>
>>3341417
Why do you make threads in this manner? It invites mindless shitposts and dissuades posters from actually trying to discuss things. If you want to talk about the game, leave the bait out and just say why you like/dislike it in the OP.
>>
>>3341930
ok
>>
If an RPG is on a console or is Japanese then I can guarantee you it is shit.
>>
>>3341717
In fairness, expandability is a pretty nice feature that carts offer.
>>
>>3341970
If Anon sucks a cock, I can guarantee you he's a faggot. Gtfo /vr/
>>
>>3341876
Chrono Trigger is boring
>>
>>3342051
Hi, weeb.
>>
>>3342108
>everything japanese-made is shit regardless of its actual quality

>>>/v/
>>
PHANTASY STAR IV
>>
>>3342123
Japs just don't know how to make RPGs. It's as simple as that.
>>
Personally I find SMRPG really boring. I like Paper Mario much better.
>>
>>3342138
What are some good retro western RPG's then?
>>
>>3342212
Diablo, Icewind Dale, Ultima Underworld, Elder Scrolls
>>
>>3342223
LOL, stay salty faggot. Those games are fucking ass.
>>
>>3341970
T. Todd Howard
>>
>>3342223
>list of dirt aesthetic rpgs that nobody on the retro market would pay 5.00 USD for
>b-but guys t-these are great gaems g-guys
>2 of the games are from franchises so "good" that they sudoku'd themselves years ago.
Ayyylmao
crpgs are for dullard, autistic, virgin faggots who enjoy rolling dice in their parents' basement. Nobody likes this shit or wants to pay for it, something the retro market clearly illustrates.
>>
>>3342138
Neither do their western counterparts, especially these days.
>>
>>3342227
>>3342254
wew lad
>>
>>3342254
>muh aesthetics
Because a fat italian jumping on pipes is so much more aesthetically pleasing, right?

SMRPG's graphics and artstyle look like dogshit.
>>
>>3342280
I didn't say anything about liking SMRPG, fàm.
>>
>>3342270
>I have no argument
Wew lad
>>
File: 1454640330055.png (406KB, 970x546px) Image search: [Google]
1454640330055.png
406KB, 970x546px
Earthbound is better.
>>
>>3342304
Then, what are some JRPGs that have good design and good visuals?
>>
>>3342254
Objectively true, as the market is an excellent way to show what people value and what they are willing to pay for a product they value (especially in regards to items that aren't remotely rare but still command a high price). Still, I do think you are being a bit harsh on WRPGs, even though I don't favor them.
>>
>>3342327
Uncharted Waters: New Horizons or Coasta Del Sol
Front Mission: Gunhazard
FF5
Romancing Saga 3
>>
File: ChronoTrigger65mForestMaze.png (198KB, 1280x768px) Image search: [Google]
ChronoTrigger65mForestMaze.png
198KB, 1280x768px
>>3342317
Sure. But it doesn't hold a candle to pic related
>>
>>3342339
Objective truth is impossible to perceive and impossible for any person to conceptualize.
>>
>>3342363
Not to be that guy but two points:

1: things can be objectively true, though meaninglessly, through tautology. For example: if one million people join a group I just made, it will have at least one million members

2: although you are correct about objective truth being technically or perhaps impossible for humans to perceive, that doesn't preclude the possibility of an objective truth existing and additionally, since humans can't technically grasp a truly objective truth, the value in all things comes from the value of a model that closely resembles an objective truth.

This all has nothing to do with taste in video games however and anyone who tosses about the phrase "objectively" when discussing matters of taste is arrogant and narrow minded.
>>
>>3342352
I personnaly think people who like earthbound are all american kids from 90's, i personnaly think that game is a trash, and you probably like it because it's your 1st rpg.

No offense my 1st rpg is sheinken densetsu 2, i have played it a lot as a kid, i really love it, but i will never say it's the best rpg even if it will always remains in my hearth.

I've discovered later with emulators Mario rpg and Chrono trigger (shame, they was not sold in my country) and i agree they are probably the funniest rpg i have ever played, despites i prefer chrono trigger)
>>
>>3342401
>sheinken
>personnaly
>hearth
>despites

I personally think that foreigners shouldn't be allowed to post here.
>>
>>3341876
Thread
>>
>>3342343
Forgot to add Phantasy Star 4
>>
>>3342401
it's secret of mana if you speak english, using jap game names is as bas as the spergs on /o/ that call their us corollas, truenos.
>>
>>3342339
>>3342365
T.Samefag
Also the discussion goes beyond taste. People simply value an item more and pay in relation to that value. These trends can be seen simply by going on Ebay or your local retro game shop. There's no deeper meaning and no need to get up your own ass with half baked philosophy and $5 dollar words, which is the pinacle of arrogance and being disingenuous. Being passive aggressive also isn't healthy, anon.
>>
I agree. However, I have not played every single SNES RPG so I can't give an objective answer.
The best one I've played, though.
>>
>>3342365
>not to be that guy
>becomes that guy
>D-did I do g-good on my mid term report g-guys?
never change /vr/
>>
>>3342596
>>3342598
I agree as well that tautology guy is an AA degree away from working at the local Sizzler, but there's just so many great SNES/SFAM RPGs out there, that I can't say which is objectivly best.
Currently, I'm having a blast with Chrono Trigger.
>>
>>3342365
The subjective value of a thing, which is the only value something can have to us, has almost no relation to the proximity of the idea to what is actually, objectively true.

Your analogy about starting a group and having a million members is kind of sloppy too, under what context is a person a member? How do you really know you have a million? What objective truth is there to an abstract construct in the human mind of a group existing or being a member of it? If it's just an idea in the first place, whose to say that everybody's idea of being a member of the group is the same, and to what extent does it have to be to consider them all as members?

Even then, how can mirrors be real if our eyes aren't real?
>>
>>3341417
Culex and Smithy are the only grind fights and running into enemies >>>>> random encounters
>>
File: 1387622147795.jpg (34KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1387622147795.jpg
34KB, 500x375px
Guys, guys, why can't we just like both WRPGs and JRPGs? I grew up playing Chrono Trigger/SMRPG and the Exile series. Good times were had.
>>
File: ultima7.jpg (62KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
ultima7.jpg
62KB, 640x400px
Console RPGs.. lol
>>
>>3342401
I didn't play Earthbound until about a year ago, but I still think it's one of my favorite games of all time
>>
>>3343006
>DOS
>Games
>>
>>3343132
Undertale was fun and all, but I wouldn't call it the best, or even a RPG.

The story and music were great, but the battle mechanics were kind of dull with the exception of boss fights.
>>
>>3342343
>Final Fantasy
Opinion discarded.

That is the most pleb RPG series ever.
>>
>>3343006
fuck serpent isle man, it ruined U7
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.