[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PS1=The Ghost of Nintendo's Anti RPG Policy Getting Its Revenge?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: ps1 ff7.jpg (207KB, 1280x997px) Image search: [Google]
ps1 ff7.jpg
207KB, 1280x997px
Considering how much the JRPG genre contributed to SONY's success, and how little Nintendo did to cultivate the genre during the NES and SNES era (and especially Nintendo's own CEO having negative opinions on RPGs at the time), was the N64's lack of JRPGs truly to blame on cartridges?

Let's remove the cartridge from the equation, because the SNES proved you can make great JRPGs with cartridges. Is it more likely that companies just didn't want to put up with Nintendo's bullshit because they knew what the company was like when it came to RPGs?

Imagine creating a JRPG for the N64 and getting absolutely NO coverage from Nintendo. That would be absolutely dire. I think more companies would have tried putting out JRPGs (or even stripped down PS1 ports) on the N64 if they knew they had Nintendo in their corner.
>>
This copy pasta was stale a long time ago, champ.
>>
>>3341010
>Imagine creating a JRPG for the N64 and getting absolutely NO coverage from Nintendo. That would be absolutely dire.

Yeah, instead of the entire disc filled with FMVs and voice acting, they'd have to focus on gameplay.
>>
>>3341037
Tell me more about that amazing gameplay in Paper Mario
>>
But the N64 had a few really good JRPGs like Holy Magic Century and Paper Mario.
>>
File: shaq book.jpg (28KB, 314x342px) Image search: [Google]
shaq book.jpg
28KB, 314x342px
>>3341046
>like Holy Magic Century
>"Huh, never heard of this"
>Google it
>mfw
>>
It was the late 90's and the industry and the public were enamoured with FMV.

Much of the RPGs at the time felt like an endurance just to trigger the next pretty cutscene.

It was a fucking horrible time.
>>
>>3341010
>JRPG genre contributed to SONY's success

This pasta is getting old. And every time you post it, it'll still be wrong. There were no highly successful JRPGs on PS1 except for the Final Fantasy series. No, selling 100 000 copies in weeaboo land is not highly successful.
>>
>>3341072
>JRPGS WEREN'T SUCCESSFUL AT ALL!!!1

Breath of Fire got two fucking entries on the PS1

If they weren't successful, they wouldn't be getting sequels on the same platform.
>>
>>3341083
>capcom making sequels of something
>proof of anything

lol
>>
>>3341039
It's fun.
>>
>>3341091
Then Suikoden 1 & 2 you homo
>>
>>3341098
Budget of a SNES game
>>
>toilet paper mario
>good

kek
>>
>>3341068
Obviously you haven't played much jrpgs beside Final Fantasy
>>
>>3341102
Better than any SNES jrpg
>>
>>3341046
>Holy Magic Century

that's the european title for Quest 64.
it's pretty well known to be a terrible game, for the most part.

you could have said Ogre Battle 64 instead.
>>
>>3341010
>Considering how much the JRPG genre contributed to SONY's success, and how little Nintendo did to cultivate the genre during the NES and SNES era

I'm gonna go with what >>3341014 said, since you wouldn't think that was even close to correct if you actually were alive back then. Nintendo Power pushed RPG's hard, since they knew they appealed to older gamers and they were trying hard to get the whole family addicted. They gave away free copies of Dragon Warrior with subscriptions, they made one issue a full strategy guide for Final Fantasy, and they always had articles on every RPG they could get, like the Ultima and Dragon Warrior games on NES, and all the square RPGs on the SNES.

OP doesn't know shit, but enjoys typing out long paragraphs like he does. Probably a lame ass consolewar attempt.
>>
It's been years since this pasta started, and I'm still disgusted by that ugly glossy PS1 with male lightning
>>
>>3341010
Like it or not carts were a huge factor. The industry was ready to move on graphically, and Nintendo was not.

And it was arrogance. They saw the Sega CD and other disc-based systems go nowhere, so they probably just didn't feel threatened.

And some of it may have been Nintendo's desire to maintain exclusive ownership over a proprietary format, which they continued doing up until the Wii came out
>>
On the topic of PS1 and RPGs, should I get suikoden 1, 2, Vagrant Story, Tomba 1, 2, or Grandia?
>>
File: 1373687400685.jpg (190KB, 678x531px) Image search: [Google]
1373687400685.jpg
190KB, 678x531px
>>3341179
Sure thing bub
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.