[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did they put the D-pad on the left side? Most people are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: nes-pad.jpg (282KB, 2200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
nes-pad.jpg
282KB, 2200x1600px
Why did they put the D-pad on the left side? Most people are right-handed, so the more important controls should be on the right.
>>
Because it was successful on the Donkey Kong Game and Watch
>>
>>3340308
What a left-handed thing to say, left hander.
>>
>>3340314
That doesn't explain why practically every controller puts the D-pad on the left side when you use it the most.

>>3340316
What? I'm right-handed.
>>
>>3340308
Because arcades have the stick on the left.
>>
i play my arcades with stick on the right
>>
>>3340308
Why do guitars place frets on the left side if it's more work than the right hand?
>>
Having a d-pad on the right just feels awfully wrong at this point, though if they'd put it on the right from the beginning, I don't see any disadvantages.
>>
>>3340308
Most games, while you do use the d-pad constantly, usually only have you ontrol the character's movement, which in a lot of games, you just need to go left or right. The other buttons control your actions and it's more important to time those moves just right or button mash. Over all we need more precise control on the other buttons when so many games don't require you to do as much dynamic movement aside from fighters for the most part.
>>
>2016 of the Gregorian calendar
>not being ambidextrous

Evolve already
>>
because your left thumb needs to make general movements in the right direction. Variable speed and being slightly off doesnt change too much. Your right hand needs to make twitch accurate presses in a fairly small spot without looking at the controller. Its more demanding.
>>
Gross vs. fine motor control. Also, who's to say that the d-pad is more important than the buttons?
>>
>>3340382
the wii did this essentially
>>
>>3340512
Movement is pretty damn important in shmups, puzzlers and fighters.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.