[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sega IPs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

The story behind how Sega fell out of the console market. But, why did Sega start ignoring all of it's IPs except for Sonic? The last Panzer Dragoon and Jet Set Radio game (not including the HD remake) came out around 2003-2004, when they were a third party developer. Not to mention NiGHTs and Streets of Rage, which died pretty quickly. What happened internally such that they started to ignore classic retro IPs that were not only well-reviewed, but were pretty succesful?
>>
>>3338594
Fuck
*We all know the story about how Sega fell out of the console market.
>>
>>3338594
Cost reducing.
>>
>>3338594
Selling Sonic's to autistic manchildren is risk free money
>>
All their talented people quit or got headhunted
>>
Everybody behind them got the fuck out. I mean, what would you do? Things didn't exactly look promising. Because SEGA isn't Konami they retired most of the IPs instead of handing them over to new teams to butcher.
>>
>>3338757
Look where that got them. Festering in a ditch, barely staying alive.
>>
>>3340321
But they mightt be totally dead if sonic wasn't working that street corner for them.
>>
>>3338594

Literally all of their well known IP prior to the Dreamcast was arcade. All of the console original stuff was highly influenced by the arcades (SoR) or started in the arcades (Shinobi). You did have some cool stuff like ToeJam and Earl, but something like Space Harrier or Fantasy Zone was always the core. And that's a very good thing. It's what made Sega games great. But with the decline of arcades in the west and the rise of 16 bit kids whose first idea of games were platformers, Sega had a big job ahead of them to keep arcade IPs relevant like how Nintendo does with console games.

Instead they pretty much froze their arcade game legacies in the time period they came from and very rarely touched them again.

As for the console exclusives, part of the cool thing growing up with Sega was that we expected new IP. JSR and PD are great games, and do deserve a sequel because there's a lot you can do with them now, but Sega's design studios used to crank out amazing new IP at the drop of a hat. Look at how much Dreamcast got in the span of 18 months.

Nowdays they're risk averse since they're literally expected to bring a lot of IP back from a cold start.

I think some of the biggest names can work, like Shenmue or Streets of rage, but a lot of the other games might as well be new IP to the current generation.
>>
>>3340413
>Literally all of their well known IP prior to the Dreamcast was arcade.
Sakura Wars was huge, and started on Saturn.
>>
>>3340452
...And is Japan only save for dubs of the Anime adaptation, ensuring that it would be left just as dead in the west.
>>
>>3338775

This. The same happened to Konami and Capcom, the talent left, that' show we got companies like Treasure and Platinum in the first place.

The Panzer Dragoon guy did Crimson Dragon on the Xbox One, but I think it didn't got too much praise.
Yuji Naka did Rodea which kinda reminds me of Nights from what I've seen, but it was also a flop, it had virtually no marketing, I think it was published by Kadokawa.
>>
>>3340459
>...And is Japan only
Technically, it's not, but I get what you're trying to say
>>
>>3340462
It would be an exception and his point would stand if there were Sakura Wars billboards in NYC

The story of Sega's decline is endless, it seems like a regular thing now that someone brings up some new angle on how everything went completely wrong for them. I used to play armchair CEO and think wait but if they had just done this, and then that etc... But now I think it was practically hopeless before anyone could have realized

:(
>>
>>3340371
And they might be as big as Nintendo again, we can't know.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.